Beer of Choice

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Beer of Choice

Postby J » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:28 pm

Travelling from Canada, by way of plane, I don't have the ability to bring the mass quantities of beer that I will be consuming.

Now American beer does not have the greatest reputation north of the border, it is well I won't share the opinion of it.

what is the beer of choice on the playa?

J
J

Beer of choice?

Postby bruno » Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:57 pm

Anything you can keep cold, eh?
bruno

beer - it's the new beer

Postby dis=c0! » Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:00 pm

stop in a hardware store in reno. ask the first youngish male worker at the hardware store that you run into to help you look for these two things: large plastic funnel, & plastic tubing. when the worker asks how much plastic tubing you need, hold your arm up above your head. measure from the top of your arm to your mouth. Add about 6 or 7 inches to that length. This is the length of tubing you will need. Match the diameter of the tubing with the funnel, so that the spout of the funnel fits snugly inside the tube. Chances are, you will not need to provide this much guidance. the key is to make sure that the person helping you is a youngish male.

combine funnel and tubing.

your beer of choice is now bud lite. you just need to learn the right way to drink it. our friend at the hardware store will give you some tips. welcome to america!
dis=c0!
.t3chno
dis=c0!

Postby J » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:20 pm

making a funnel was too much work, we just used a pink lawn flamingo that someone had liberated.
J

Postby rodent » Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:58 pm

I was rapidly becoming a beer snob before I came to BM. The playa taught me to apreciate cheap beer (well, and hanging out with DPW a lot). As canned American beer goes... that's a tough one.

Most better beer comes almost exclucivly in bottles (a bitch to pack out). As bottled beer goes, I perfer Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Crisp, hoppy and fairly light (I find heavy "porters" and other thick beers tough to drink when it's 110 degrees out). If you're looking for something a bit deeper in color, try Red Tail or one of the various flavors of Red Hook.

As cans go, Heinekin actually comes in cans now a days. Pretty light but with much more taste than BCM (Bud, Coors, Miller). Of the BCM, I find that Miller Genuine Draft is the best, good taste without being completely water. Finally, when all goes to hell, Papst Blue Ribbon and Milwakies Best are the top "fluid per $$$'s", it just doesn't get any cheaper than that, plus, you'll earn the respect of Gate and DPW if they wander into your camp.

rodent (putting the eek in geek)
"There's not a word yet,
for old friends, who just met"
-Gonzo, "I'm Going to go Back There Someday"
rodent

Postby Kinetic » Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:31 pm

http://home.pacbell.net/bullnose/beer.htm

For all the new people Bob is DPW. DPW knows beer, hell anything alcoholic they know. I think that recommendation should say it all.

His advice on shade structures is THE AUTHORITY on that subject too.
Kinetic

Postby PetsUntilEaten » Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:39 pm

Canadians & beer -

all the canadians I know bring a rich dark beer in glass bottles - even after they know better - aka have been to the playa before.

CANS - are the way to go - crushable & they can go to recycle camp - no tricky trash - and while roaming a crushed can is easier to pocket.

Also LIGHT BEER - nice watery mexican or american beer is great in the heat & less dehydrating than thick ales - if you really like to drink alot.

so we drink TECATE - because you can get a 30 pack for $17 at Costco - and they come in a box that stacks really well - we brought 6 cases - donated 3.

I've heard that Heineken has cans if you like it & want to pay that much.
Japanese canned beer is good - but the cans are heavier & hard to crush - but you'll probably have a mallet around . . .
PetsUntilEaten

Postby J » Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:56 pm

While it is true that most Canadians prefer bottles (I being one of them), we can adapt.

Thank you for all the suggestions,
Kinetic: Thanks for the link, However I disagree with his opinion of Labatt's, (that stuff is piss).

Pets: Thanks for the recommendations. I am confused by you referring to light beer, I thought all American beer was light, maybe just in comparision to Canadian.

Thanks all
J
Please forget the words that I just blurted out
It wasn't me, it was my strange and creeping doubt
J

Postby antron » Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:00 pm

cold is best
buy lots of the cheap stuff
and bring a couple of sixpacks of something you really like--that would be worth hauling through the desert. it's a real treat.

one of my campmates brought a couple sixes of guiness -- it was better than dinner.
antron

Postby precipitate » Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:02 pm

> I am confused by you referring to light beer, I thought all American beer
> was light, maybe just in comparision to Canadian.

Macrobrew, yes. Microbrew, no.
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Postby Kinetic » Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:06 pm

This is funny that I'm even replying about beer as I don't drink a lot of the stuff. I'll avoid the Labatt's, your not the first who's said that it was bad.

I prefer Boulevard Wheat Beer and Pale Ale, made here in Kansas City. It's proudly not shipped to 42 states. And I have yet to get a bad beer from Shiner down in Texas either. I also like Kirin and Sapporo too.

I prefer my Midori, Goldschlager, or Tee-kill-ya. And Anheiser Busch products are not found in my house or in my hand. I got sick off a flat keg when I was 17 and that was the end of Busch and any AB stuff for me. Bleech!
Kinetic

Postby J » Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:13 pm

I'm not referring to everything made by the brewery, but when any one refers to Labatts, the are speaking of Labatt's Blue. It takes a certain type of person to drink Labatt's, their neck is usually a deeper shade of red than most people. But I am going to try and smuggle down some of the better brands, mainly Old Credit and Red Cap (which is in the old school stubbies)
I rediscovered my beer-tooth while in England earlier this year.
J

Postby Badger » Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:54 pm

On Bob:
His advice on shade structures is THE AUTHORITY on that subject too

His taste in beer however, is not.

Careful with the adulation of folks (DPW) you know only by reputation, heresay and rumor. Not all is what it seems.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Kinetic » Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:09 pm

Badger wrote:On Bob:
His advice on shade structures is THE AUTHORITY on that subject too

His taste in beer however, is not.

Careful with the adulation of folks (DPW) you know only by reputation, heresay and rumor. Not all is what it seems.

I'm learning that a lot of things about Bob, and DPW for that matter is not what it seems. Hell that applies to almost everything related to BM.

And anytime I seem to mention DPW I get burned. They are like bad karma for me. I did give them extra stuff when I left this year hoping to change the karma balance but obviously I didn't leave enough for it to work.
Kinetic

Beer

Postby robbidobbs » Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:49 pm

Leaving stuff post-event is nice, but in the big scheme of things, trivial. Did you leave beer? Suggestion for winning major karma points: ADOPT A POTTIE CLUSTER! Yep, it's DPW too, and a mission-fucking-critical issue...still.

Oh, and keep the faith.

Beer, beer, beer, beer
Beer, beer, beer.
Beer, beer, beer, beer,
We love beer!
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
14 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
FB Group: Burning Man Porta-potties
Changing the world one asshole at a time!
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Postby stuart » Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:22 pm

Becks baby! Becks! If you want to splurge you can even get it in cans. According to those in the know, the mineral water used in becks has lots of tasty and helpful things in it. Usually I drink darker, heavier beers than this but on the playa I will even drink tecate with a smile.
stuart

Postby snowveil » Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:06 am

PABST BLUE RIBBON-cold and in the can. mmmmmmmmmmm.....
snowveil

Postby Chai Guy » Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:16 pm

Sapporo - Dry and refreshing, just like the playa

Chai Guy

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:47 pm

Becks in a can is good, and the Guiness with the weird nitrogen capsule in them that is supposed to make them foam just right - those float my boat.

Postby Raheer » Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:55 am

Or, my personal favourite, Labbat's. (Notice how all the 'favourite American beers' are not actually American, but imports?)

Raheer
Politics. From the Latin poly, meaning 'many', and the Modern English ticks, meaning 'blood-sucking parasites'....
Raheer

Postby Kinetic II » Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:45 am

I have split loyalties. I love Boulevard Wheat Beer made here in KC, but I always bring Sapporo along. I love 'em both.
Kinetic II

Postby J » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:52 am

I have a feeling I'm going to be like a kid in a candy store the first time I enter an American liquor store. In Ontario alcohol sales is Gov't run, so the selection sucks compared to evry where else.

J
J

Postby Isotopia » Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:49 pm

I have a feeling I'm going to be like a kid in a candy store the first time I enter an American liquor store.

Just make sure it happens to be in California or somewhere near a larger metropolitan area. otherwise, the selection is pretty bland.
Isotopia

Postby Raheer » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:15 am

J wrote:I have a feeling I'm going to be like a kid in a candy store the first time I enter an American liquor store. In Ontario alcohol sales is Gov't run, so the selection sucks compared to evry where else.

J

Don't bother trying in Oregon. Our liquor stores are state run, too.... BC, however, has DAMN GOOD Cold Beer and Wine stores, so you might be able to pick some good stuff up there, if you feel like trying to run it across the border....

Then again, there's always the Duty Free Shops at any border crossing....

Raheer
Politics. From the Latin poly, meaning 'many', and the Modern English ticks, meaning 'blood-sucking parasites'....
Raheer

Postby J » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:14 pm

Raheer wrote:BC, however, has DAMN GOOD Cold Beer and Wine stores, so you might be able to pick some good stuff up there, if you feel like trying to run it across the border....

BC is the opposite side of the country from where I live. But thanks for the tip. Are Nevada liquor sales state run?

J
J

Postby Flux » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:27 pm

J wrote:Are Nevada liquor sales state run?

Yeah, but Nevada itself is run by the mob, so it's all good.

That's probably not true, but I couldn't resist.
Flux

Postby Raheer » Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:30 am

J wrote:
Raheer wrote:BC, however, has DAMN GOOD Cold Beer and Wine stores, so you might be able to pick some good stuff up there, if you feel like trying to run it across the border....

BC is the opposite side of the country from where I live. But thanks for the tip. Are Nevada liquor sales state run?

J

Oh, I know. I just figured you'd run across Canada and take the Peace Arch crossing, then head down I-5 to Sacramento, then across to Reno. (It's the route I use...).
Raheer

Postby blyslv » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:01 pm

About 10 minutes before we got off the grid for good on the way to the event we learn that our partners in crime had had a mechanical, and it would be two/three days before they could get there.

They had ALL the booze. The nifty Guiness in a can, the crisp white wine, the endless gallons of fruit juice, vodka, tequila and rum.

Yikes.

Our options were limited. We stocked up on the oil cans of fosters. It's a fistful of beer and the lowest moop/ratio going. It worked for us.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby NaughtySnowAngel » Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:14 am

Thanks for the advice....lots of cheap beer and then a small ammount of good "treat" beer....can do!

But how much to bring? I think I can gauge how much my husband can drink over the course of a week, but how much extra will should we bring to share with all our new found friends??

I am sure the more the better, but a rough idea would be greatly appreciated. Also, are their good places in Reno to stock up on alcohol? We will be driving from St. Louis and I don't want to carry the weight of the alcohol and water in the truck for the entire journey (very bad gas mileage!)
NaughtySnowAngel

Postby Raheer » Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:35 am

NaughtySnowAngel wrote:Thanks for the advice....lots of cheap beer and then a small ammount of good "treat" beer....can do!

But how much to bring? I think I can gauge how much my husband can drink over the course of a week, but how much extra will should we bring to share with all our new found friends??

I am sure the more the better, but a rough idea would be greatly appreciated. Also, are their good places in Reno to stock up on alcohol? We will be driving from St. Louis and I don't want to carry the weight of the alcohol and water in the truck for the entire journey (very bad gas mileage!)

My theory, and mind you, I drink very light but camp with people who drink like bloody whales, has always been to bring one gallon of beer for every four gallons of water. This usually results in just enough beer to satisfy everyone.

But yes, that's a bloody HUGE amount of beer, I know....

Raheer
Raheer

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks