Playa foot

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Did u suffer from Playa foot?

Hell yes could hardly walk on the second day out there
11%
It started showing but i took care of it with some acidic stuff
32%
No way It's all a conspiracy by Dr. Bonner.
57%

Total votes : 44

Playa foot

Postby Borris » Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:51 am

So did u get it or not?

I had no problem whatsoever, spend all the days with sandals, never touched vinigar/lemon juice/Dr. bonners and had no problems at all.
Shit, where was i for the last week... ehm...
Borris

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: DPW

Postby robbidobbs » Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:28 am

Yep, for the first time too! Vinegar water took off the itchies, but I'm using lotion for the healing process. No big deal.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

dj big "E"

Postby dj big E » Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:45 am

lmao i were sandals alot so i allready allways have a few cracks lmao.i were sandals during the day and shoes at night by the end of the event i have massive heel cracks that are very painful maybe i could do some playa maintenance liike lotion and shit i just water them down in between shoe changes lmao.i treasure my playa foot it twill take me about another 2 weeks to pumace stone them away lmao wish i took a oicture they get rough by monday lmao. sandals every year fuck yeah .dj big "E"
dj big E

Postby chloe_dancer » Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:30 pm

what the fuck is the imao i keep seeing
i feel there is an angel in me whom i am constantly shocking
chloe_dancer

Postby whispergrrl » Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:33 pm

"LMAO" stands for "laughing my ass off"...
whispergrrl

Postby Stormy » Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:36 pm

Well my feet got thoroughly fucked after 10 days out there. If you're going to be out there for a long time and you're going to be on your feet for 7 to 12 hours per day, learn from my stupidity please. Forget the cool black boots (save em for riding in art cars) and wear good tennis shoes or the soft sort of hiking boots. After blister on blister, I switched to sandals and then started getting those lovely cracks. :oops:
Be the change you seek in the world.
Stormy

Postby Kinetic » Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:45 pm

Like a total dumbass, I packed all kinds of shit from MRE's to a generator and even a freaking Microwave, hauled it 1800 miles over 7 mountain passes and across Jungo Road.....and of all the things I packed or brought with me, I forgot......tennis shoes. I was stuck in Teva Sandals for over a week. I started using Dr. Bronners full strength on my feet, I even used lemons once. It didn't help, my body chemistry was all jacked up and I got dehydrated too which made for a nice case of playa foot on both feet. My heels were really bad and I am a heavy heelstriker when I walk. I didn't have to take any Hydrocodone but there were times I almost reached for it.

Of course when I went out Saturday night and heard Sandra Collins's set I danced, playa foot and all. It was not pretty....but I have no regrets even though I danced until I was bleeding....

Fast forward almost 2 weeks now and I'm finally healed up thanks to lots of Curel and raw Aloe Vera right from the plant. Next year I won't make the playa foot mistakes again.

Meanwhile my sister ran around barefoot, didn't put anything on her feet and she comes back without a problem. Part of the problem has to be a body PH thing...I was drinking lots of Coke before I cut back and that might explain why my body chemistry was so jacked up.
Kinetic

Postby Hana Hou » Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:53 pm

Use Flexitol - at night with socks... Clears up cracks and junk in a day or so . Do it for a couple of weeks and you won't know you ever had any..
Darwin was right.
Hana Hou

Postby OregonRed » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:09 pm

Dr. Bronner's castille soaps. This stuff is the greatest stuff in the world!! Rub it on like lotion once or twice a day and no playa foot!!!
M*A*S*H 4207 We're not doctors.

"Just be yourself. All the good personalities are taken." stolen from my amazing friend Dwayne Gerken's fb status post.

OregonRed

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby antron » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:12 pm

blisters from dancing in hiking boots on Saturday, but no playa foot. kept the feetsies clean with baby wipes once a day, and gave them a lemon water rinse thurs and sat. wore sandals most of the time, with sneakers or boots at night.
antron

Postby Kinetic » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:29 pm

OregonRed wrote:Dr. Bronner's castille soaps. This stuff is the greatest stuff in the world!! Rub it on like lotion once or twice a day and no playa foot!!!

Been there, done that. For me it didn't work. My 15 year old sister Dragontear ran around barefoot even and didn't have a problem. My body chemistry was really messed up this year, I didn't start healing until I put my feet in the Pacific and let the saltwater get to 'em. It stung at first but there is something about the ocean that heals me. It did it years ago in Miami, and on this trip it did it again. I can't explain it.
Kinetic

Postby stu » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:48 pm

My feet are actually in better shape now. The playa ate the thick callusses, and, after a quick buff with a rasp when I got home and soaked them, they are lovely and smooth.
<i>What's</i> my fucking gift?
stu

Postby Angry Butterfly » Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:10 pm

sand the rough parts off befor you get out there and you will be FINE. I went barefoot, PLAYA feels GOOD! and it cures athletes foot!
I took the road less traveled, and now I would like to go back and find the paved one.
Angry Butterfly

feet

Postby joeytheglassblower » Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:33 pm

It totally helped my feet overall.There was a few days where it was kind of uncomfortable, but it did cure some athletes foot.What doesnt kill them makes them more gnar.
joeytheglassblower

Postby TestesInSac » Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:37 pm

Angry Butterfly wrote:sand the rough parts off befor you get out there and you will be FINE. I went barefoot, PLAYA feels GOOD! and it cures athletes foot!

I did quite a few foot washes, followed by moisturizer, massaged in. I encountered lots of cracked heels, but no athletes foot. And I didn't suffer from playa foot at all, due to my acidic nature.
I am my own sock puppet.
TestesInSac

Postby Kinetic » Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:48 pm

Actually I had cracked heels so it might not be playa foot. But the cracked heels hurt like hell.
Kinetic

Postby OregonRed » Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:14 am

[quote="Kinetic
Been there, done that. For me it didn't work. My 15 year old sister Dragontear ran around barefoot even and didn't have a problem. My body chemistry was really messed up this year, I didn't start healing until I put my feet in the Pacific and let the saltwater get to 'em. It stung at first but there is something about the ocean that heals me. It did it years ago in Miami, and on this trip it did it again. I can't explain it.[/quote]

I'm so sorry!!!! My friend Tenacious brought out a peppermint foot salve that worked really well for her... Perhaps you should try something like that... She makes the salve so if you are interested let me know.
M*A*S*H 4207 We're not doctors.

"Just be yourself. All the good personalities are taken." stolen from my amazing friend Dwayne Gerken's fb status post.

OregonRed

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby Angry Butterfly » Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:14 pm

casnimot wrote:
Angry Butterfly wrote:sand the rough parts off befor you get out there and you will be FINE. I went barefoot, PLAYA feels GOOD! and it cures athletes foot!

I did quite a few foot washes, followed by moisturizer, massaged in. I encountered lots of cracked heels, but no athletes foot. And I didn't suffer from playa foot at all, due to my acidic nature.

I have an acidic nature too, I actualy have to replace my tounge stud every couple of months because my saliva pits stainless steel! Acrylic too! I dont know ANYONE else with that problem, I have tried everything, I just buy them wholesale now. When I get access to a jewelry shop I will make a silver one. I have never been healthier than I was out there, and all my friends noticed, I feel like crap now that I am back home.

I used to get cracked heels, seriously, sand them down. it is the only thing that works, and a professional pedicure is worth the money when You suffer from cracked heels.
I took the road less traveled, and now I would like to go back and find the paved one.
Angry Butterfly

Postby TestesInSac » Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:22 pm

Angry Butterfly wrote:...I actualy have to replace my tounge stud...

I get the feeling there's folks here that would like my (virtual and acidic) tongue replaced with a stud. Or worse.

Seriously, though, I found out in 2k3 that citrus, in this case diluted lemon juice in a spray bottle, works very well on playa dust. It doesn't leave the hands or feet feeling sticky, either. You might try it next year.
I am my own sock puppet.
TestesInSac

Postby heat » Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:25 pm

Holy Toejam, Batman. I am feeling blessed that in all the years out there I have never ever had any playa-foot symtoms. No footbaths, rarely lotion...just my daily solar shower on a straw mat, and sunscreen with a lovely pearly layer of playa dust. I wear big thick foamy platform sandals in daytime, huge chompy boots at night & even dance all night in 'em...guess its a body chem thing. I tend to love sour stuff and don't eat much sweet stuff. Hmmm.
Life is short but wide
heat

Postby diane o'thirst » Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:20 pm

I got callouses on the balls of my feet, but that's because I'm a toe-walker. My sport sandals broke right before I left so I was stuck with my Ugg boots and chef's clogs all Burn.

The lanolin in the wool kept my feet nice and soft and only the callouses got bigger. I got a line of tough, scaley skin where the clogs stopped and <i>NOTHING</i> would help, not even grapefruit rinds rubbed on it.

I did, however, get Playa hands which are only now starting to go away. I've been using Bath 'n Bodyworks Healing Foot Cream with peppermint and rosemary oils and Badger Healing Balm on that: helps a lot. Rubbed the latter on my feet everytime I took my shoes off and occasionally I walked around camp barefoot. I agree, Playa between your toes does feel good! :)
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby Kinetic » Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:33 pm

My feet were messed up before BM...I will never use a public shower without wearing my Teva sandals ever again, never ever will I go barefoot in one. What was strange this year is besides the playa foot and the adjustments at the beginning of the event, at the end I was the healthiest, the strongest I had been in months. On the way back home we drove most of the way up and then climbed the last 200 feet of Mt. Evans and usually altitude tears me up. I was at 14,253 and I felt the best I ever had, and no it wasn't altitude sickness sitting in!

Then I come back home and I'm back to being sick again. The answers are so illusive! What's causing all this? I wish I knew!
Kinetic

Postby diane o'thirst » Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:42 pm

My dandruff came right back as soon as I got home. Probably means it's too humid here...or maybe I should get out in the sun more often ;)

I got a solid three hours of sun every day out there, at least.

For those who have Playa nose — I found out that if you want to clear your sinuses, hum for five seconds and it goes away. I've been doing that every morning since I returned...usually hum a verse or two of Schubert's "Die Forelle" :D
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

bag balm

Postby liebling » Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:35 am

playa foot. i-yi-yi. had that my first year, never since.

i take along a small tub to soak my feet in ... sometimes daily, depending on my mood...i just use baby oil and water. i didnt do that this year because i recently became aware of the grey water/playa issues, but anyway, keep bag balm on your feet, especially before going to bed and you'll have no probs. i also thought of using that stuff called corn huskers lotion/oil, but bag balm works so well i havent tried anything else.

gael
we are becoming who we are
liebling

Postby Kinetic » Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:39 am

Bag Balm. I've actually had to use that for it's original purpose but it does work wonders on feet. It's been so long since I had it around here! I'm glad you posted and reminded me of it. Duh! I'll pick up some of that stuff... right now my feet are so bad I can hardly walk.
Kinetic

Postby Spokes » Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:45 am

Eucerin
Excellant for dry crufty whatever both healing and preventative. Also, the wetjack of champions.
Spokes

Postby Kinetic » Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:51 am

I'm using the new Curel Extra Strength stuff that usually works, but I have some Eucerin and I tried that too. I also tried soaking while at BM and I used Dr. Bronner's in the water and straight from the bottle on my feet. Didn't work.

Playa Foot, plantar problems...it makes for an interesting and very painful combination. If I hadn't forgot my sandals when I worked out at the gym I wouldn't be in this mess. I try to get in shape and end up in worse shape.
Kinetic

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks