Plug and Play Mutant Vehicle

Planning to build and bring a mutant vehicle? Talk about your plans and recruit crew members here.

Re: Plug and Play Mutant Vehicle

Postby pink » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:38 am

BeachBum wrote:Cites for Bob: IRS Pub 525, IRS "Reporting Miscellaneous Income, FS-2007-26, November 2007", and the BM discussion on why the BRC-Reno airport shuttle was shut down unexpectedly a few years ago mid-event leaving many people temporarily stranded. As for the 3% BLM fee collected by the BMORG, for "commerce" on BLM lands, check out the audio for the Theme Camp Meeting last week, it was a quick mention according to a report on ePlaya. I made one typo in the post a few minutes ago, the form is a 1099-MISC, not 1040-MISC, sorry. And, just for info, I'm not new. Best wishes.

Hey, I don't know anything about the airport or DOT regs, but I'm a tax accountant (which is why I'm still awake at this ungodly hour) and beachbum is right on about the 1099 reporting requirements.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby BBadger » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:52 am

TomServo wrote:
BBadger wrote:Er, that wasn't meant to be a specific case, but more of an example. Replace "physically disabled people" with "whatever cause most people would consider good." The question posed is more to ask if renting MVs--for money or trade--is only reprehensible in the context of PnP camps, or does it also extend to any people or camps, including those whom are considered a worthy cause. Aaand the point of that question is more to point out the moral gray area these kinds of situations often reside in.

I wouldn't do it. If it's not my art, why would I show it off like it's mine? The fact that P&P camps are already involved in something pretty reprehensible, is only compounded by the act of borrowing someone else's creativity. Renting it for the greater good of the community? I doubt it.

Sometimes it's not about showing off art, but giving people experiences.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby driver8 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:07 am

BeachBum wrote:driver8,
Just be aware that many people are sufficiently PO'ed at the commercialization/Disneylandification of BRC via Plug/Pay & Play camps, and by the destruction of the former principles of radical self-reliance and non-commoditization, to report you to the IRS, Nevada DOT, and the BLM if you do not do so.

forgetting that your attendence is de facto cooperation with the corporation that commodifies your participation.

like a good little brownshirt, turn in your fellow man to the man. before i was on the fence about hiring out my vehicle.

thanks, BeachBum, you swayed me. going to the playa and gonna make some money.
driver8

Postby percussivepaul » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:49 am

Honestly driver8, I read BeachBum's message as an attempt to be helpful -- warning you about what you're getting into, and that there is a downside that you might not have considered. I did not read it as a threat to report you, rather a warning that others might, and that you may be exposed to significant liability that you haven't yet acknowledged. This is new territory and people are still figuring out how to react to what they perceive as a very real threat to the core culture of Burning Man. You might have been a bit more gracious in thanking BeachBum for the heads up. It is more than a stretch, and indeed a bit of a slap in the face, to suggest that we co-operate with commercialization and commodification just by being there.

You've made it clear where you stand now, I suppose. I would ask you to describe your art car so I can make sure I steer clear of it, but I recognize you may not wish to attract attention. Best of luck for the burn and I hope all goes well, and may your plug and play caterpillars turn into the beautiful playa butterflies we all hope to see out there.
percussivepaul

Postby Bob » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:22 am

New breed of little Hitlers at the event, I see. They probably shop at Whole Foods.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby BBadger » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:31 am

Godwin's Law once again applied.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:39 am

Bob wrote:New breed of little Hitlers at the event, I see. They probably shop at Whole Foods.

Hey, the original one would have, too. If it had been an option. "Pure German food, no pesticides, no GMO. Sieg Heil!"
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lemur » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:03 am

i offer my services to anyone who wants to pay me to go to burning man.

it is against my personal principles to do so...

but, .. i think its worth doing just to spite some people.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Trishntek » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:07 am

So where can I send the invoice for storing my camp's stuff all winter? Can I get some kind of tax break for NOT making money? I wanna have fun and make money too!!! WAAAaaaaaaa!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby CornMan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:08 am

Regarding the original post: I don't see a problem renting out your MV as long as the camp renting it offers rides to all fellow burners on the playa according to the BM guidelines.

I like that chopped Bronco. What a great starting point for such a great price.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby TomServo » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:21 am

wow...this discussion has sank to the level of invoking Hitler?

It's everybody's playground. But this playground has principles...or at least did. Lazy fucks will be lazy fucks..especially if they have the money that affords them to be lazy fucks. And assholes will try and profit on an event that took pride in it's non-commercial values....debate that one all you want, but at least it is something we strive for. Selling vacation packages..WITH THE BEST ART CARS ON THE PLAYA.. to "Burning Man" is a sad sign of the times. We are encouraging lazy fuckiness with shit like this!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Nipple » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:43 am

Point of Order: Invoking the turn of phrase "Little Hitlers" does not Godwin a thread.

You may proceed.
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Bob » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:53 am

Maybe not, but "good little brownshirt" does.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby driver8 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:59 am

the IRS isn't going to investigate such complaints. it's better that burners file false rape accusations against anyone suspected of making money off BM. much more effective. but a bit harder to make stick with the women who exploit the burn - maybe just shoot them.
driver8

Postby stinkyfoot » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:08 am

I wouldn't. I'd consider other fundraising options or leave it at home.
stinkyfoot

Postby trilobyte » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:28 am

And I think on the OP's last note it's time to call this thread done. If the original intent was to solicit feedback and opinion before making a decision, I think there's plenty.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Previous

Return to 2012 Mutant Vehicles