Mutant Vehicle Registrations OPEN til May 15th

Planning to build and bring a mutant vehicle? Talk about your plans and recruit crew members here.

Mutant Vehicle Registrations OPEN til May 15th

Postby trilobyte » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:24 pm

That's right, mutant vehicle registrations are now OPEN. Check out the Department Of Mutant Vehicles form here, and get it completed and submitted before the deadline of May 15th at noon PST.

More info on Mutant Vehicle criteria can be found here.

And don't forget that there's a new sound policy for mutant vehicles in 2012. Read it here.

Good luck with your projects!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Mutant Vehicle Registrations OPEN til May 15th

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:28 pm

Personally, I think the May 15th deadline is kind of ridiculous. Printed tickets won't even be distributed until what.. end of June or so? This means that the re-sale market is stunted/delayed and therefore many of us won't even know for sure that we're going up until the last minute. I feel like that in light of the current ticket issues, they should extend the deadlines for things like MV and theme camp registration.

Just my respectful $0.02
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby ygmir » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:29 pm

we registered, simple process,,,,,,,,now, just wait.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby trilobyte » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:45 pm

You don't have to have the vehicle done and crewed up, you just have to be able to articulate and communicate your plans to the DMV.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:46 pm

True.. I guess if you think that there is even a chance that you're going, that you might as well register. Point taken.

Just.. saying. Even though that saying irks me. Sometimes, you gotta just whip it out.

We could go on, I know.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby oscillator » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:43 pm

junglesmacks wrote:...Sometimes, you gotta just whip it out.

Agreed.

oscillator

Postby Galaxo Magic » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:39 am

I am looking at the glass half-full and thinking, man, I should down that and get another beer! And also, might as well put in for your MV. If you can't get tickets, well, that would suck, but better to be prepared as they used to say in Burner Scouts.....
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby packlet » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:30 pm

Anyone know if they might be allocating TICKETS to any mutant vehicles that 'make the cut' and don't yet have enough?

Or is that strictly limited to THEME CAMP registrations?

thanx.
packlet

Postby lemur » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:34 pm

this went out to the DMV announce list.. basically the same thing as for theme camps

Unfortunately, there are not enough tickets left to distribute to all of the mutant vehicles that would like to come. We have gone through the painful process of selecting those vehicles that will be awarded the opportunity to purchase more tickets already. Now we have had to figure out a process and make some very hard choices. It was not easy. This was done using the following criteria:

1. History - We used our database to inform us on vehicles participation history.

2. Level and quality of mutation - While we appreciate each and every vehicle out there, every year there are some that stick out from the crowd. These are the ones that get commented on the most, photographed the most, get the biggest crowed around them, and really inspire those that see them. Basically, we are looking for those that get the most positive buzz and have the biggest positive impact on the community.

3. Demonstrated Community Benefit- Some vehicles and their crew contribute more than others. They are truly community minded, are knows to give rides to many people, follow the driving rules and protocols, help with art tours, and generally add a lot to the experience of the community.

4. 10 Principles - Your project fully embraces the 10 principles in their entirety at their core.

This should seem familiar. It is very close to our standard criteria used for licensing vehicles for many years, with the addition of consideration of the 10 principles.

Unfortunately, just as there are not enough tickets to help all vehicles, we will also not be able to reserve all the tickets needed for any vehicle team. There simply are not enough to go around. We have considered closely all of the variables associated with the production of your vehicle and weighed how difficult it is to build and operate. An allotment of ticket purchase opportunities has been made to accommodate the core members of your operations - enough to build your team from. Beyond this our hope is that tickets will loosen up with those that may have more than they need and the STEP program will provide the extra ticket that you need. Though we hate to say this, this is may not be the year to grow your ideas and increase your size. It is the year to gather your resources, hone your message, and open your thoughts to how you can embrace a new era in our evolution. You may also need to find other solutions such as taking in new crew members or changing the scope or scale of your project. Though this may be difficult, adjustments like this may be necessary, and are being made in every area and on every level of Burning Man.

In order to discover if your vehicle has been selected you will need to register it using the standard process of filling out the questionnaire. Go to http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/ ... teria.html for full information on vehicle licensing. Note that allocations for tickets have already been made so there is no need to use the questionnaire to better your chances. Please fill out your questionnaire quickly so we can let you know if you have been selected. The sooner you get it in the sooner you will know. This year, more than ever, it is imperative that the person who fills out the questionnaire (your contact person) is in a leadership position for your camp. That is who we will be discussing ticket access with.

We are aware that some of you may be considering applying for low income tickets. We would like to offer you access through DMV and take some of the pressure off of the low income process, as well as you. Be aware that list will be cross-referenced with this one so each requester can receive only one ticket per person.

If you are not planning on attending this year you may be allowing us to redistribute your ticket access to another group in need. Letting us know if you are not planning on attending would be very helpful.

This shift will be hard this first year, but if we plan well, we can turn this challenge into our greatest success ever. We hope you will be there with us.

The DMV Team
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby SnowBlind » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:40 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Personally, I think the May 15th deadline is kind of ridiculous.
[...]
I feel like that in light of the current ticket issues, they should extend the deadlines for things like MV and theme camp registration.

While that sounds reasonable in theory, the sad truth is that even though the registration is open for three months, the majority of the application come in on the last evening. MV registration used to be much later, and then the volunteers would have to go thru all the apps in a way too short time. Plus, the owners then get their answer very late, and if they get rejected, they might not have time any more to appeal.
SnowBlind

Postby lemur » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:49 am

SnowBlind wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:Personally, I think the May 15th deadline is kind of ridiculous.
[...]
I feel like that in light of the current ticket issues, they should extend the deadlines for things like MV and theme camp registration.

While that sounds reasonable in theory, the sad truth is that even though the registration is open for three months, the majority of the application come in on the last evening. MV registration used to be much later, and then the volunteers would have to go thru all the apps in a way too short time. Plus, the owners then get their answer very late, and if they get rejected, they might not have time any more to appeal.

indeed, applicants need some time to appeal or fix concerns mentioned in the invite. (or in some cases where the thing isnt built until they are invited ..they need to build it!)

in 2011 the deadline was June 30th. a few times before the deadline hit processors ran out of applications to process in an evening ......but after the deadline that didnt really happen. the deadline brought a huge rush and the final processing session was in the first week of August

putting that deadline earlier in the year might mean processing of applications ends sooner, thatd give applicants more time to act on their invitation or appeal (if they choose to do one).. It might free up the people doing the processing to work on projects/planning of their own

in 2011 dmv was doing like 35 applications per session..(some nights more/less.). things might be different this year.. but, as mentioned in the 2010 afterburn when DMV had 1000+ applications.. (http://afterburn.burningman.com/10/play ... y/dmv.html) theres lots of stuff coming in..

it takes a long time to get through it all

theres only so many applications that can reasonably be processed each night.. if the time to process them all is too short (because of a later deadline) and folks feel a need to rush through things because it is about to be August that isnt so awesome.. being able to spend the same amount of time on each app and apply the criteria the same on each one during the whole of processing season is a good thing..

6 fewer weeks to procrastinate earlier in the year might give applicants a few more weeks to finish things up before the burn happens.... as mentioned, it doesnt need to be finished when you apply!

(i am just a lowly off-playa DMV volunteer, my words do not represent the DMV, these are just my opinions/observations, not official policy or things that represent what the DMV management or burning man thinks/believes/does/will do/etc..)
lemur

Postby packlet » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:57 pm

lemur wrote:this went out to the DMV announce list.. basically the same thing as for theme camps

OK, i read all that and worked my way through the application form.
However, nowhere in the MV pre-reg form does it ask if I have/need a ticket.

I understand the 'worthy' vehicles might be eligible, but how do they know
if I have a ticket already if the form doesn't explicitly allow you to say so or ask for one?

I do have a ticket (my wife 'won' the lottery for 2,) but if I could score one for my art car,
I could pass the other ticket along to a needy campmate...
packlet

Postby lemur » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:15 pm

i dont know any of that stuff.

from what ive read around for various theme camps it seems more like a 'we'll talk to you' kinda thing

but again, i dont know.

i gather from what ive heard at the theme camp forum, and read, the ticket assistance is to make sure the camp can be built/taken down/cleaned up... that the vehicle can make it/run safely ..so the performance can happen.. so the art can get built.. etc......... its for the bare minimum 'core' group, like the one that gets 'early entry' for a theme camp..

its not so much for fulfilling the needs of campmates who might not be needed to make those things happen......

but uhh.. again ....i dont know
lemur

Postby packlet » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:48 pm

lemur wrote:i dont know any of that stuff.

i gather from what ive heard at the theme camp forum, and read, the ticket assistance is to make sure the camp can be built/taken down/cleaned up...

that's the problem. we have enuf ticketed folks to set up the camp, but not enuf to take it down.
maybe we'll just leave it there this year. :-) hahaha...
packlet

Postby Galaxo Magic » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:32 pm

lemur wrote:i gather from what ive heard at the theme camp forum, and read, the ticket assistance is to make sure the camp can be built/taken down/cleaned up... that the vehicle can make it/run safely ..so the performance can happen.. so the art can get built.. etc......... its for the bare minimum 'core' group, like the one that gets 'early entry' for a theme camp..

its not so much for fulfilling the needs of campmates who might not be needed to make those things happen......

but uhh.. again ....i dont know

I don't know either but I think you hit it pretty close to the point. Our 'core' people are the ones that get there Wednesday and spend 4 days building camp and MV. The other campers come in and party for a week, then on Sunday we start dismantling camp. Same 'core' people for our camp. A long two weeks but worth every drop of sweat. We are close, we need another elephant builder and another tower builder or two and we can make it happen. Two tickets won't be that hard. If not two tickets, then two hard workers from other camps that have decided to not go this year.

Camp Upsie Dasium will be there! Beau Le'Phant will be there!
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby trilobyte » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:18 am

They have a database of the last several years' worth of registration data, as well as the DMV's inspection data and notes. If you've worked on multiple vehicles over the years, MAKE SURE to include that info in the appropriate place, so the DMV can connect the dots. Read the first page of the questionnaire carefully, it tells you the kinds of things they're looking for.

Jot your plans of what you're going to do down on paper, if you haven't done so already. Sketches, diagrams, notes. This is a great idea even without registration, having some kind of documentation will probably make it a lot easier for you and your crew to be on the same page as you make your vision a reality. Next, take a look at that first page of the Mutant Vehicle questionnaire. Read it carefully, and then go back to your plans and think about any possible adjustments or changes you may want to make to your plans. Once you've made the changes, fill out the form. Don't wait until mid-May, do it sooner rather than later. Include both the things you know you're going to do as well as the things you're planning to do. Be realistic, don't fluff up your application with imaginary shit to get approval, or you may be sorely disappointed when you get to the playa and the DMV's pissed off because your vehicle is nothing like the plans you submitted.

If something changes in your plans (which does happen), send an update to the dmv via the dmv(at)burningman(dot)com address. MAKE SURE that you put the name of your vehicle (as entered in the questionnaire) in the subject line of that vehicle. That way, the person who's on the receiving end of the DMV email address can easily identify the project and forward it on to the team member who's got your application.

Remember, May 15 is the end of the registration process, but it's open NOW. The sooner you get started, the better. And if you have hopes of your crew being awarded tickets through the Directed Ticket Distribution Program, get 'er done ASAP! The person who fills out the questionnaire needs to be a responsible member of your team (responsible enough that you'd trust them with any ticket allotments) who is very knowledgeable about the project. If the DMV needs to contact them for additional info, they need to be able to answer quickly.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby videoparker28 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:34 pm

Last year, for the on Playa inspection, they changed it to NO retries. Meaning if you don't pass there is no re-inspection. From my understanding that was the first year with this policy. Will that be the case thise year as well or can you make minor adjustments and try again. Just asking for the just in case side of things.
videoparker28

Postby trilobyte » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:48 pm

That wasn't new - i remember that as being the policy when I last did a mutant vehicle back in 2007.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Galaxo Magic » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:24 pm

Retries - It does not seem to be a rule but more of a guideline. In 2010 our friends were rejected but were able to bring it back a second time and get it passed. Last year the vehicle in front of us for Night Permit had one string of Christmas lights. The DMV Hotties said don't bring it back unless it is RADICALLY illuminated. Meaning they could bring it back if they fulfilled the Hotties request.

That is my experience. I do not, nor have not worked for the DMV. This was only my observation. Luckily, we passed day and night with out any problems and being my first MV, I was super thrilled! The whole experience is so different when you are driving around an art piece. People come towards you from every direction. People wanted to pose with out elephant! It is well worth it, make sure your MV can pass the first time, then you won't be freaking out about it!
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby zerzura » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:25 pm

videoparker28 wrote:Last year, for the on Playa inspection, they changed it to NO retries. Meaning if you don't pass there is no re-inspection. From my understanding that was the first year with this policy. Will that be the case thise year as well or can you make minor adjustments and try again. Just asking for the just in case side of things.

I believe they wanted to make this a hard and fast policy starting last year. Too many people were clogging up the system by coming in with unfinished MVs, hoping to get them passed early and figuring they could just work on them more and come back later if they had to. Some marginal vehicle owners figured they may get a more sympathetic hottie is they tried again;especially if they didn't have anything to lose?

I would bring your best the first time you show up. And it should be similar to what you submitted on your application. If you've changed what you are building, send an email to dmv with the name of your vehicle in the subject line.
zerzura

Postby SnowBlind » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:03 am

videoparker28 wrote:Last year, for the on Playa inspection, they changed it to NO retries. Meaning if you don't pass there is no re-inspection. From my understanding that was the first year with this policy.

That was not the first year with that policy at all, No Retries has been the general rules for many years. Sometimes if one specific thing is wrong with a car, and it's something that easily fixed, the Hotties will make a note that the car can come back if they fix it. But generally they don't.

The main reasons for that are:
- A lot of the things that cause a vehicle to fail can't be easily fixed on playa (i.e. too much base vehicle, or things like that).
- People will end up spending their whole burn to try to fix the car, come back multiple times and still get rejected in the end, having screwed their whole week.
SnowBlind

Postby Galaxo Magic » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:05 pm

Word of advice, if you got your MV invited by the DMV Hotties, then make sure it LOOKS like the picture you sent in! Be sure it is radical. Make sure it passes! You do not want to spend your burn trying to get your vehicle up to snuff. If you're not sure if it is good enough, it probably isn't. Do more! OVERWHELM the DMV Hotties!

Luv me some DMV Hotties!
Beau, the largest pink appendage on the playa!
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby videoparker28 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:19 pm

Has anyone gotten an email from the DMV yet. I sent mine in about 5 weeks ago so I'm looking for it any day now. I know it says to allow up to 5 weeks for processing but I figured being early it would go faster. I hope this gives the "last minute entry" projects a prospective on the time it takes to process your request even if get it in early. Good luck DMV with the late ones...Look forward to hearing from you soon.
-Jp
El Guapo Art Car/Boat Project
videoparker28

Postby lemur » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:45 pm

videoparker28 wrote:Has anyone gotten an email from the DMV yet. I sent mine in about 5 weeks ago so I'm looking for it any day now. I know it says to allow up to 5 weeks for processing but I figured being early it would go faster. I hope this gives the "last minute entry" projects a prospective on the time it takes to process your request even if get it in early. Good luck DMV with the late ones...Look forward to hearing from you soon.
-Jp

i dont know about emails from DMV regarding the directed tickets program..

as for mutant vehicle applications for invitations to bring vehicles to the playa for inspection.. as far as i am aware as a lowly volunteer.. there has not been vehicle application processing sessions yet..... i usually volunteer for those, and ive not seen any announcements about them.. perhaps things are different this year regarding them... perhaps not.. i would guess among other reasons they havnt started processing because they are working through the directed tickets portion of their tasks this year..

last year processing sessions for vehicles started around 7-8 weeks before the deadline, ..right now we are about 7-8 weeks before the deadline.... so uhh.. we may be near that point when DMV starts actively processing the queue....and where applicants will start receiving info back about their vehicles..

ive got no idea about the 5 weeks thing, or anything else about the processing this year..

(idont represent the DMV in any official capacity,.. im just an off-playa volunteer telling ya what i know from my perspective as a person who usually volunteers for the vehicle processing sessions.. the actual truth may be very different from what ive said here and i could just be out of the loop..)

perhaps someone who knows more than i will have better info.
lemur

Postby Galaxo Magic » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:27 am

I was added to the MV email list. I assume that that means that we are probably going to be invited to bring our elephant. For three years running we have been added to the theme camp discussion list long before we found we were placed. So I imagine that the MV list is similar.

Would they add MV's that they aren't inviting, to join the MV discussion list?
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby videoparker28 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:28 am

I did get the email about awarded tickets from the DMV but I'm just looking for the invite/non-invite email. I was lucky with the lotto system so tickets are not the issue. The 5 weeks came from info in the application is why I am wondering...Thanks guys for the info.

lemur wrote:
videoparker28 wrote:Has anyone gotten an email from the DMV yet. I sent mine in about 5 weeks ago so I'm looking for it any day now. I know it says to allow up to 5 weeks for processing but I figured being early it would go faster. I hope this gives the "last minute entry" projects a prospective on the time it takes to process your request even if get it in early. Good luck DMV with the late ones...Look forward to hearing from you soon.
-Jp

i dont know about emails from DMV regarding the directed tickets program..

as for mutant vehicle applications for invitations to bring vehicles to the playa for inspection.. as far as i am aware as a lowly volunteer.. there has not been vehicle application processing sessions yet..... i usually volunteer for those, and ive not seen any announcements about them.. perhaps things are different this year regarding them... perhaps not.. i would guess among other reasons they havnt started processing because they are working through the directed tickets portion of their tasks this year..

last year processing sessions for vehicles started around 7-8 weeks before the deadline, ..right now we are about 7-8 weeks before the deadline.... so uhh.. we may be near that point when DMV starts actively processing the queue....and where applicants will start receiving info back about their vehicles..

ive got no idea about the 5 weeks thing, or anything else about the processing this year..

(idont represent the DMV in any official capacity,.. im just an off-playa volunteer telling ya what i know from my perspective as a person who usually volunteers for the vehicle processing sessions.. the actual truth may be very different from what ive said here and i could just be out of the loop..)

perhaps someone who knows more than i will have better info.
videoparker28

Postby Dustdevil » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:44 am

The processing sessions have not started yet, but I expect them to in the next week or so. I have started processing the Flame Effects part of the DMV. I would give it at least another couple of weeks before you will hear anything.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Postby Marscrumbs » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:05 pm

So if you register which means your super cool DMV gets a permit, then you don't get a ticket, you won't be put on a shit list for not showing and denying another DMV a place on the playa?
Marscrumbs

Postby trilobyte » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:26 pm

If you're not able to attend, or for any reason decide that you won't be able to bring your vehicle to the playa, just send an email to dmv@burningman.com (put your vehicle name in the subject line). Don't think of the registration process as 'fire and forget' - send in an email to let DMV know of any significant changes to your plans (maybe you decide flamethrowers aren't going to make it this year, or you decide that you'd really like to add another flamethrower, or you revised the design and can seat more passengers, etc) - so long as you put your vehicle name in the subject line it should be easy for them to get your update connected with your project.

The same is also true for theme camps and other projects. If for some reason you're either unable to make it or there's a significant change to the plans you've submitted, send them an update (through the proper channel for the project, of course).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Dustdevil » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:29 pm

Actually if you are making changes to your Flame Effects send those changes to the address below. This will bypass the DMV and go directly to FAST. The changes can be made with little or no effort.

dmv-flame-effects@burningman.com
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Next

Return to 2012 Mutant Vehicles