NEW Sound Policy for Mutant Vehicles

Planning to build and bring a mutant vehicle? Talk about your plans and recruit crew members here.

Re: NEW Sound Policy for Mutant Vehicles

Postby inProgress » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:22 pm

Ringringringringringringring

Re: New BRC Vehicle Sound Policy

Postby EspressoDude » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:11 pm

Galaxo Magic wrote:
lemur wrote:Image

I dont recall anyone mentioning having a good time near THAT thing.. and it seems to only be memorable for how annoying it was..

That stick thing did not bother us at all when it was out by the trash fence but on Burn Night it was a few hundred feet away BLASTING DnB. It was annoying to our whole group, as soon as the Man dropped we had to leave that area. That's the way I have dealt with it for 11 years, leave, of course, I remember the days those vehicles would roam the city at 4 in the morning. Thank goodness that doesn't happen any more. Frack, I sound old......

looks like a lot of kindling on a trailer

not suggesting any thing
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby EspressoDude » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:12 pm

Trishntek wrote:In 2010 we were directly across from the Gypsy Ghetto Bus with their 10s of thousands of watts of powerful music machine. They sat parked in their camp for hours shaking our teeth apart. We could not even have conversations with each other for hours on end. And this would go on into the wee hours of the morning.

The Rangers visited them multiple times and by Thursday, they were out and about more often and kept it relatively low volume when they were parked.

I'm glad to see this issue being addressed. It's one thing to blast ear drums on the deep playa,,, a completely different situation in the middle of BRC. Bad manners can run wild sometimes,,,, jus' sayin' common sense and courtesy SHOULD rule, but seems a stranger to some.

times like that it would be nice to go to FIRST CAMP and invite Larry, Marian, or Harley to visit your camp.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Re: New BRC Vehicle Sound Policy

Postby ygmir » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:56 pm

EspressoDude wrote:
Galaxo Magic wrote:
lemur wrote:Image

I dont recall anyone mentioning having a good time near THAT thing.. and it seems to only be memorable for how annoying it was..

That stick thing did not bother us at all when it was out by the trash fence but on Burn Night it was a few hundred feet away BLASTING DnB. It was annoying to our whole group, as soon as the Man dropped we had to leave that area. That's the way I have dealt with it for 11 years, leave, of course, I remember the days those vehicles would roam the city at 4 in the morning. Thank goodness that doesn't happen any more. Frack, I sound old......

looks like a lot of kindling on a trailer

not suggesting any thing

I have a fire truck out there..........so, stand by it with a match, yell "fire" and I'll hit it with 250 psi water from the monitor. Not sure how many GPM it'll put out, but, it'll be fun while it lasts (3/4" orifice, if anyone can calculate it).

I'm just sayin, that if someone reads your post wrong, E.D. and does the wrong thing, I'll stand ready to help.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby tamarakay » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:03 pm

Ygmir, our hero :D :D :D :D
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Elorrum » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:08 pm

Well gentlemen, putting out a fire of this kind on the playa, I would declare an un-sound policy, and I am in total agreement.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby ygmir » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:16 pm

Elorrum wrote:Well gentlemen, putting out a fire of this kind on the playa, I would declare an un-sound policy, and I am in total agreement.

*looks left, looks right*

who?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Elorrum » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:57 pm

Should I have said an "un-sounding" policy?
Elorrum

Postby ygmir » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:00 pm

Elorrum wrote:Should I have said an "un-sounding" policy?

that's such a nice way to put it........you must be in management.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Elorrum » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:06 pm

no, I'm watching a period British naval movie. The language gets to me.
Elorrum

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:58 pm

Are there whales involved?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:27 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Are there whales involved?

or transparent aluminum?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby lemur » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:00 pm

ygmir wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Are there whales involved?

or transparent aluminum?

plexicorp went out of business ages ago..

the formula for transparent aluminium never was revealed..

alas, we will have to wait until around 2130 for its invention...
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby gyre » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:20 pm

some seeing eye wrote:In a free sound field, like outdoors, doubling the distance reduces the level by 6dB and halving it increases the level by 6. So a change of 6 is half or twice as loud.

Sound measurement is logarithmic.
Depending on how this is read, I think it is misleading, or just wrong.
gyre

Postby gyre » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:29 pm

Savannah wrote:I'm glad and relieved (and surprised) to see mutant vehicle sound levels being addressed. I love all kinds of music, I like it cranked, and I love to dance to it, but I'll never forget the party bus that came down E street in 2008 and played their music at top volume at 6:00 or 7:00am, out of sheer cruelty. They had no illusions about bringing the party to anyone; it was sheer sadism (and overwhelming, even through silicone plugs). No one was dancing, but people were yelling at them to go away. And they stayed and stayed, daring someone to do something about it, before moving on in 15 minutes or so, by the time anyone could've gotten a Ranger.

There is every difference between attracting people; getting them to flock to you, which--if you are awesome--will not be a problem, and forcing your "gifts" on unwilling people, like a creepy flasher on a subway.

It's pretty easy to make an emp generator.
The pulse might cause problems with any electronics aboard.

Dealing with burglar's vehicles, a pair of linesman's dykes can be used to pull rubber tire valves completely out of a rim.
It takes a good tug, or some leverage.
gyre

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:16 am

A pair of wire cutters will snip them in half easier.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby gyre » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:34 am

Some seem to have a metal liner.

A favorite for neighbors with a 10,000 watt CB moron nearby -
A pin or tack driven through a shielded cable with the head cut off, can be very hard to find.
Especially effective on long antenna cables.
gyre

Postby Gonzo Frothwood » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:29 pm

The Pottie PA is going to have x4 6.5" 300 watt drivers and x4 200 watt tweeters mounted for surround sound, hooked up to a 400 watt stereo. Two condenser microphones mounted in altoid cans. I took a fishman preamp out of one of my guitars, and mounted IT in an altoid can to boost input. Should work.

If it goes beyond 90dB, it will have feedback. We're good.
"There is nothing so over-estimated as a piece of ass, and nothing so under-estimated as a good and greasy shit." Boneman Johnson
Gonzo Frothwood

Postby some seeing eye » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:14 pm

gyre wrote:some seeing eye wrote:
In a free sound field, like outdoors, doubling the distance reduces the level by 6dB and halving it increases the level by 6. So a change of 6 is half or twice as loud.

Sound measurement is logarithmic.
Depending on how this is read, I think it is misleading, or just wrong.

You caught me Mr Gyre! But I appreciate your participation.

Actually it's 6.02dB!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law

Ask any sound professional. :) And bring a sound level meter to the Playa and a laser rangefinder and you are a deputized sound professional!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:53 pm

Hey someseeing eye,
I think that those of us who are ocular in nature should never encourage anyone to bring any form of laser to the playa.
(excluding Lazerfox, as well as all other foxes at hand)
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Rev Phunzjyn » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:25 pm

I would like to see some language in the new policy that directs big sound away from the temple. . .or someone eventually is going to go rogue and start disabling offending sound. . .there is definitely a growing contingent becoming heated about the disrespect the temple gets at night time from overly loud MVs
Rev Phunzjyn

Postby some seeing eye » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:30 pm

OED, I tend to agree! But commercial laser rangefinders are Class 1.

I'm a strong proponent of laser safety. Maybe we need a NEW Laser Policy for Mutant Vehicles (and mutant individuals)?

Rev Phunzjyn I'm 100% in favor of a total ban on amplified sound at the Temple Burn as a condition of MV licensing and future return.
some seeing eye

Postby glitter-mouse » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:35 am

one of the main reasons i go out to burning man is to catch up on my sleep, so i also applaud the new sound policy.

another good rule would be that vehicles can only turn left during odd hours of the day, and only turn right during even hours of the day. this would result in a lot more ticketing which would result in increased revenue. i urge you to sign the petition. http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/restrict-random-vehicle-turns-on-the-playa/
glitter-mouse

Postby ygmir » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:30 am

some seeing eye wrote:OED, I tend to agree! But commercial laser rangefinders are Class 1.

I'm a strong proponent of laser safety. Maybe we need a NEW Laser Policy for Mutant Vehicles (and mutant individuals)?

Rev Phunzjyn I'm 100% in favor of a total ban on amplified sound at the Temple Burn as a condition of MV licensing and future return.

IIRC there is some language in the MV licensing forms about low volume at the temple.............Things like that, though, are rarely enforced.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby johneed » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:57 am

I personally think this an excellent first attempt at a meaningful and needed policy. It isn't perfect and it will never be perfect. It will evolve.
johneed

Postby actiongrl » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:10 am

""people should be able to choose to be near large scale sound""

ding ding ding.
actiongrl

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:36 am

With respect to sound at the temple burn, I broached the topic on the Temple Guardians board. They encourage a quiet side and not quiet side grouping. Any move for all quiet, and real enforcement, has to start with the temple crew and be supported by other BM departments.

I think 2012 is the right time and an opportunity to seed traditions into an event with a record percentage of virgins.
some seeing eye

Postby shubes » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:19 pm

Give me a break, if you don't like 24/7 loudness, DON'T GO TO BURNING MAN!!!!!
Who the hell complains about burning man? Noobs and ol' skoolers. The only thing worth complaining about is how all the damn visitor-fill noobies are watering down the essence of the event by pressing such customary "courtesties" that are expected in the default world.
What next, no lasers because they can cause harm?
No display of nudity or provocative imagery because they can harm children development?
No defacing the Temple with your thoughts, honors, and totems because it harms the art of the Temple?
All sound off by 3:00am because it harms all the sleeple in RV's out in the suburbs?

Screw all that...
Burning men and women should keep Burning Man as uncomfortable as possible for rich and famous elites, stuffy OC noobs, and librarians. Perhaps they won't want to come back next time and there'll be plenty of tickets available for the rest of us who like Burning Man for what it is AND isn't! What it's NOT is a state park campground.
Suck it up, no special requests honored, deal with it or stay the hell off the playa. Don't come there with any expectation of acquiescence to your comfort threshold.
SO sad Borg is addressing sound complaints. They just need to focus on ticketing system complaints.
shubes

Postby unjonharley » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:28 pm

shubes wrote:Give me a break, if you don't like 24/7 loudness, DON'T GO TO BURNING MAN!!!!!
Who the hell complains about burning man? Noobs and ol' skoolers. The only thing worth complaining about is how all the damn visitor-fill noobies are watering down the essence of the event by pressing such customary "courtesties" that are expected in the default world.
What next, no lasers because they can cause harm?
No display of nudity or provocative imagery because they can harm children development?
No defacing the Temple with your thoughts, honors, and totems because it harms the art of the Temple?
All sound off by 3:00am because it harms all the sleeple in RV's out in the suburbs?

Screw all that...
Burning men and women should keep Burning Man as uncomfortable as possible for rich and famous elites, stuffy OC noobs, and librarians. Perhaps they won't want to come back next time and there'll be plenty of tickets available for the rest of us who like Burning Man for what it is AND isn't! What it's NOT is a state park campground.
Suck it up, no special requests honored, deal with it or stay the hell off the playa. Don't come there with any expectation of acquiescence to your comfort threshold.
SO sad Borg is addressing sound complaints. They just need to focus on ticketing system complaints.

So this means your not going to Burning Man?.. We can get along with fewer asshats like you..
unjonharley

Postby Bounce530 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:34 pm

High five!! I'm with ya Shubes!

We could also get along just fine without people who want more rules to conform BM to their own tastes, Unjon.
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Mutant Vehicles