Theme camp assigned tickets transferable?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Theme camp assigned tickets transferable?

Postby honey_b_temple » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:06 pm

I have not been able to find an answer to this question, so thanks in advance for your help.

I got one of my theme camp's assigned tickets. Yay! I ALSO got two tickets in the STEP program. Of course I probably don't have to explain to you all that when I had the opportunity to buy further tickets, I jumped at it, since i have lots of friends who didn't get any tickets, whether through the lottery, theme camp, or STEP. I'm just a lucky bastard, I don't know what to tell you.

I get that you can change the name on Will Call tickets, so my plan was to get to Will Call first and leave the second STEP ticket for a friend of mine under her name.

Now here's the question: Are theme camp assigned tickets transferable? I have another friend to whom I sold a ticket, but I'm unsure whether I should sell him the physical ticket i have in hand (the theme camp one) or my STEP ticket I have at Will call (in which case he'd need to leave the second ticket for my other friend, and that makes me nervous.)

I'd much rather give him the physical ticket so I don't have to put it on him to deal with the name change at will call. There's no indication with my ticket that it's non transferable.

Thoughts? Thank you!
honey_b_temple

Re: Theme camp assigned tickets transferable?

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:44 pm

Those tickets are transferable, but should be kept within the camp or project. And it goes without saying that they should be sold for no more than face plus shipping (either by you or the person you sell it to). Camps whose members sell directed tickets above face will be punished severely.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Eric » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:10 pm

honey_b_temple wrote:I have another friend to whom I sold a ticket, but I'm unsure whether I should sell him the physical ticket i have in hand (the theme camp one) or my STEP ticket I have at Will call (in which case he'd need to leave the second ticket for my other friend, and that makes me nervous.)

Your STEP ticket is non-transferable. You absolutely cannot sell your friend that one, per the rules you purchased it under.

Trilo isn't kidding on the Directed Distribution ticket either- the entire camp is punished if it's discovered one is sold above face value.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby honey_b_temple » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:06 pm

Hmmm, you can give a STEP ticket to someone else. I mean since I bought two (the only option I was offered), I can't very well use them both. Another person will need to use the other!

From the BM website: "Both tickets will be held at Will Call under the name of the purchaser. If both parties are arriving separately, the buyer of the ticket may collect both tickets and then leave the second under the other name at the Will Call window."

This is what I plan to do.

It goes without saying that I sold the tickets at face value and didn't even pass on handling/shipping fees. Since I am going to be participating in my camp as per my agreement when I was offered the theme camp ticket, I don't see what difference it makes which ticket I sell and which I hold. They're only paper at this point. isn't part of the burning man creed looking out for the community? I was doing this when I bought extra tickets with the intention of helping people in my community, who weren't as lucky as I was, to get to the playa. Please realize I am no scalper, just a burner frustrated by the system and wanting to help my community go home.

I'll ask my camp mistress about the theme camp ticket.

Thanks!
honey_b_temple

Postby vapor » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:27 pm

the first thing you should try is find out if your theme camp can use the ticket back to someone else who wants to camp with them. That is both the correct thing to do for the camp and in the spirit of how the org allocated tickets. I'm kind of surprised that the org didn't cancel STEP registrations for those who received directed distribution tickets.
vapor

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Opulent Temple

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:31 pm

They were supposed to. I think it didn't work out in some cases. I'm a 12:21-er, so I'm not sure if it did in mine, or if it just hasn't got to me yet.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby LostinReno » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:11 pm

vapor wrote:I'm kind of surprised that the org didn't cancel STEP registrations for those who received directed distribution tickets.

I was shocked I still got my STEP tickets, which worked out since I'd originally put in for two tickets and only got one through my camp. Since the STEP tickets are in my name, my campmate and myself are using the STEP tickets since we have Friday early entry (with the idea that Will Call will be way less of a hassle on Friday night) Our camp tickets are going to my husband and our birgin friend that are coming in on Sunday night. :D
LostinReno

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:39 pm

honey_b_temple wrote:Hmmm, you can give a STEP ticket to someone else. I mean since I bought two (the only option I was offered), I can't very well use them both. Another person will need to use the other!

From the BM website: "Both tickets will be held at Will Call under the name of the purchaser. If both parties are arriving separately, the buyer of the ticket may collect both tickets and then leave the second under the other name at the Will Call window."

This is what I plan to do.

That's fine. Naturally, you can't use two tickets for one person. :) You can accept payment from someone who trusts you. Then you pick 'em up, since your name is on them, and reassign the second ticket to a legal name; the 2nd person picks it up with I.D.

It goes without saying that I sold the tickets at face value and didn't even pass on handling/shipping fees. Since I am going to be participating in my camp as per my agreement when I was offered the theme camp ticket, I don't see what difference it makes which ticket I sell and which I hold. They're only paper at this point. isn't part of the burning man creed looking out for the community? I was doing this when I bought extra tickets with the intention of helping people in my community, who weren't as lucky as I was, to get to the playa. Please realize I am no scalper, just a burner frustrated by the system and wanting to help my community go home.

I'll ask my camp mistress about the theme camp ticket.

Thanks!

Smart idea. Unlike STEP tickets, Direct Distribution tickets are transferable, but they were given to a camp for a reason, hence the rules about face value and keeping them for that camp. (Otherwise, those tickets clearly weren't needed.) A camp that's caught selling Direct Distribution tickets improperly risks all sorts of penalties.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby honey_b_temple » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:54 pm

Yeah, I was very surprised I got STEP tix, too, but like I said, I wanted to help my peeps get home, so I took the opportunity. I didn't realize then that it would be so difficult to transfer tickets. I totally get what the rules are intended for, but I'm still frustrated. Nobody's getting over on anyone here, nobody's making a profit or scalping or anything, and my camp mistress was fine with me transferring the physical ticket to my friend since I will be fulfilling all of MY camp obligations.

BTW, the friend I'd like to have the ticket is working on the early build for Anubis so he's totally participating in the community.

Anyway. I sure hope the ticket scenario goes more smoothly next year! This certainly will teach me not to try to help my friends.

Thanks for your help!
honey_b_temple

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:35 pm

honey_b_temple wrote:This certainly will teach me not to try to help my friends.

OUch.

Look, the llc didn't do so very well with this, but this was a huge logistical nightmare, and there were a lot of changes on the fly to compensate. It wasn't pretty, and there are a lot of people with a lot of hurt feelings and injured pride.

Maybe we should all pat each other on the back and let go of bitterness?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion