Attending Burning Man is NOT a right.

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Attending Burning Man is NOT a right.

Postby Rice » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:21 pm

None of us have the right to attend Burning Man.

Happily, I have been able to get a ticket. Therefore I appreciate the privilege of attending.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Re: Attending Burning Man is NOT a right.

Postby TomServo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:38 pm

So, if I'm the first in line at the ticket counter, I don't have a right to a ticket?
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby capjbadger » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:39 pm

Is this really news to anyone? :twisted:

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby capjbadger » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:39 pm

TomServo wrote:So, if I'm the first in line at the ticket counter, I don't have a right to a ticket?

Correct.

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby TomServo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:40 pm

capjbadger wrote:
TomServo wrote:So, if I'm the first in line at the ticket counter, I don't have a right to a ticket?

Correct.

-Badger

No offense, but bullshit

TomServo

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:49 pm

capjbadger wrote:Is this really news to anyone? :twisted:

-Badger

Yes. As far as I can tell.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:43 pm

TomServo wrote:
capjbadger wrote:

Correct.

-Badger

No offense, but bullshit

Actually, Capjbadger is correct- you do not have a right to a ticket no matter where you are in line. If someone had a right to one just because of where they were in line, you can bet the scalpers & scammers would be there long before you exercising that "right". The Org would probably allow you to buy a ticket if you were first in line at a hypothetical ticket counter, but it is not a right.

The BMorg, however, does have a right to decide who can & cannot have a ticket up until the point that physical tickets are in peoples hands (and they still retain that right for any at will-call) as part of the agreement they have with the State of Nevada & the BLM, and the agreement purchasers make with the Org as stated on the website & tickets themselves; just as they retain the right to have someone removed from the event if they're a danger to themselves or others.

Too many people confuse "rights" with "wants", "needs" or "desires"- a "right" is something granted by the State (like Due Process, a Speedy Trial, owning property {and even there you have limits}, etc...), it has nothing to do with a business transaction, which is what buying a ticket is.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby International Incident » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:46 pm

Eric wrote:Too many people confuse "rights" with "wants", "needs" or "desires"- a "right" is something granted by the State (like Due Process, a Speedy Trial, owning property {and even there you have limits}, etc...), it has nothing to do with a business transaction, which is what buying a ticket is.

*swoon* you are making my lawyerly self all hot and bothered with this talk. Stop it
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:56 pm

Only if you're first in line for a first-come, first-served sale.

I'm nudging this on over to the Tickets Discussion board.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Tanzremix » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:01 pm

Lol, such a troll thread. OP provided an answer to a bullshit question no one asked; this isn't even worth the mental masturbation it would take to consider, but he did get to wave his dick around a little bit. If anything this thread is worth a lock.
Tanzremix

Postby TomServo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:04 pm

Eric wrote:Actually, Capjbadger is correct- you do not have a right to a ticket no matter where you are in line. If someone had a right to one just because of where they were in line, you can bet the scalpers & scammers would be there long before you exercising that "right". The Org would probably allow you to buy a ticket if you were first in line at a hypothetical ticket counter, but it is not a right.

The BMorg, however, does have a right to decide who can & cannot have a ticket up until the point that physical tickets are in peoples hands (and they still retain that right for any at will-call) as part of the agreement they have with the State of Nevada & the BLM, and the agreement purchasers make with the Org as stated on the website & tickets themselves; just as they retain the right to have someone removed from the event if they're a danger to themselves or others.

Too many people confuse "rights" with "wants", "needs" or "desires"- a "right" is something granted by the State (like Due Process, a Speedy Trial, owning property {and even there you have limits}, etc...), it has nothing to do with a business transaction, which is what buying a ticket is.

So, basically, we DO have a right to purchase certain goods and services...in this case..a "good", up to the limitations of the law and/or the bylaws of BMORG..duh! I'm assuming this discussion is a spin off of the recent ticket debacle, in which a very Unfair solution was applied to an equally Unfair problem. Even the scalper has a right to buy a ticket, what they Don't have, is the right to resell the ticket at two..three times the face value. These are the same arguments surrounding gun ownership...there are limitations, but it is a "Right" IMHO

TomServo

Postby clocksnmirrors » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:17 pm

Eric wrote: a "right" is something granted by the State

actually, a "right" is not granted by the State. a "right" is something that the state doesn't have authority to prohibit.... because it's a "right"

fine line, i know.

:D
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Burning Since: 2012

Postby International Incident » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:21 pm

clocksnmirrors wrote:
Eric wrote: a "right" is something granted by the State

actually, a "right" is not granted by the State. a "right" is something that the state doesn't have authority to prohibit.... because it's a "right"

fine line, i know.

Hmm, not really. We only have "rights" because the state (in the form of the laws of the land) grants certain people certain things they call "rights".

People in Mali, or Afghanistan don't have the same "rights" as Americans. It's not being a person that is what grants you a right - rather it is the rule of law that "gives" rights.

Sorry. On my high horse. I'll dismount now
International Incident

Postby clocksnmirrors » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:25 pm

melaniejane wrote:People in Mali, or Afghanistan don't have the same "rights" as Americans. It's not being a person that is what grants you a right - rather it is the rule of law that "gives" rights.

one could just as easily argue that the governments of mali and afghanistan are abridging the rights of their citizens by enforcing laws that violate self evident truths....

your move.
clocksnmirrors

Postby TomServo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:35 pm

In this country, we have the unalienable right of "pursuit of happiness", which includes the right to acquire and enjoy property..in this case..a ticket, beyond all the restrictions, behind that ticket.

TomServo

Postby clocksnmirrors » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:38 pm

TomServo wrote:In this country, we have the unalienable right of "pursuit of happiness", which includes the right to acquire and enjoy property..in this case..a ticket, beyond all the restrictions, behind that ticket.

note: "pursuit of happiness" means you can make an effort at being happy. there is no guarantee of results implied in "pursuit"
clocksnmirrors

Postby International Incident » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:41 pm

clocksnmirrors wrote:
melaniejane wrote:People in Mali, or Afghanistan don't have the same "rights" as Americans. It's not being a person that is what grants you a right - rather it is the rule of law that "gives" rights.

one could just as easily argue that the governments of mali and afghanistan are abridging the rights of their citizens by enforcing laws that violate self evident truths....

your move.

OK. Fine. I disagree but it doesn't really matter. The Rights of Man argument has been going on for ever. We are no going to solve it in a thread about ticketing for TTITD.
International Incident

Postby TomServo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:41 pm

clocksnmirrors wrote:
TomServo wrote:In this country, we have the unalienable right of "pursuit of happiness", which includes the right to acquire and enjoy property..in this case..a ticket, beyond all the restrictions, behind that ticket.

note: "pursuit of happiness" means you can make an effort at being happy. there is no guarantee of results implied in "pursuit"

No, but we have a RIGHT to pursue that happiness. The whole first come first served debate, is over complication of a simple and fair system.

TomServo

Postby clocksnmirrors » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:42 pm

melaniejane wrote:OK. Fine. I disagree but it doesn't really matter. The Rights of Man argument has been going on for ever. We are no going to solve it in a thread about ticketing for TTITD.

well. that was fun :D
clocksnmirrors

Postby clocksnmirrors » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:46 pm

TomServo wrote: No, but we have a RIGHT to pursue that happiness. The whole first come first served debate, is over complication of a simple and fair system.

we have a right to pursue. getting in the ticket line is the pursuit. we don't have a right to the result of the pursuit. the ticket is the result of the pursuit.

therefore you have the right to get in line but not the right to the ticket.
clocksnmirrors

Postby TomServo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:47 pm

Well, it was fun while it lasted

TomServo

Postby clocksnmirrors » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:49 pm

listen up people: sometimes in life, the answer is "NO"

you simply will not always get what you want. deal.
clocksnmirrors

Postby clocksnmirrors » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:50 pm

TomServo wrote:Well, it was fun while it lasted

clocksnmirrors

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:51 pm

Scarcity sucks, Tom. Unless you're building us all a time machine or you have the magic power to uninvent the internet (or better still, can manifest us a couple more lanes on the highway from I-80 to gate road), first come first served stops being simple and fair once an event hits the milestone of selling out tickets. The pro scalpers wake up to the possibilities and use automated ticket buying software to gobble a quarter to half the total supply in minutes (or less). Even with the whole registration and list-scrubbing that went on this year, demand was high enough that the event would have sold out in minutes. After 6 months, it seems clear that tickets aren't all in the hands of hoarders and scalpers. Yeah, they got some, but it's a paltry single-digit chunk of the ticket supply, as opposed to half. Want it all you like, it's still not a right.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby TomServo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:51 pm

clocksnmirrors wrote:
TomServo wrote: No, but we have a RIGHT to pursue that happiness. The whole first come first served debate, is over complication of a simple and fair system.

we have a right to pursue. getting in the ticket line is the pursuit. we don't have a right to the result of the pursuit. the ticket is the result of the pursuit.

therefore you have the right to get in line but not the right to the ticket.

If you are first in line...you do..or at least should have that right. It's a gamble, every time you want to purchase a popular item..like BM tix or Cabbage Patch Kids....First come first serve is the best and only fair system..IMHO...The scalping problem can be resolved through less invasive methods

TomServo

Postby TomServo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:53 pm

I got my ticket. Yes scarcity does suck! But not receiving a ticket, even though you were payment number 1, because of a "lottery system" is absurd.

TomServo

Postby Rice » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:11 pm

Tanzremix wrote:Lol, such a troll thread. OP provided an answer to a bullshit question no one asked; this isn't even worth the mental masturbation it would take to consider, but he did get to wave his dick around a little bit. If anything this thread is worth a lock.

Geeze, I didn't mention sex once. Here you are talking about masturbating and speculating about what i do with my penis.

I intended to spark a discussion, to see a few different points of view. Which certainly occurred. Dozens of people have posted how they deserve to attend, or should attend. That they have burned since Larry Harvey was 6 years old, or some such ramble. That implies that certain people believe they have the right to attend. I simply state "no, that is not the case".

As with any post one sees here: you can disagree, agree, not care, intensely care, ignore or bitch about it. We all have the right to do that. Hell, call me a troll. As far as I know, it still is not against the law to do that either.

good day
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby BBadger » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:39 pm

clocksnmirrors wrote:one could just as easily argue that the governments of mali and afghanistan are abridging the rights of their citizens by enforcing laws that violate self evident truths....

Self-evident "truth." EL OH EL.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:46 pm

I'm not sure that we do. That's in the Declaration of Independence, which, while a founding document, is not the law of the land.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Rice » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:47 pm

not too long ago, was it not "self evident" that one could have slaves as property?

Some people believe whatever the heck they want.
Love Rice

Rice

Next

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion