Is this a scam?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Is this a scam?

Postby Behmer » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:06 pm

So...Does this sound legit. I just spoke with a man selling 2 tickets on craigslist and this is what he told me. He said I have to meet him at a cafe with my laptop and put in the two purchase codes he has into the actual burning man website. At this point I would put my CC information down and BM ORG would send the tickets right to me....Sounds a little fishy. Especially since I cant see any 'theme camp ticket purchase page' anywhere. Thanks for any advice! He also said these codes expire tonight at Midnight o_0
Behmer

Re: Is this a scam?

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:20 pm

Hmm.. right into the BM website. That is indeed how to change the ticket address.. but there's nothing that's expiring tonight.. and STEP and directed distribution tickets are non-transferable.

I call scam.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:23 pm

From what I understand the theme camp ticket codes expired weeks ago, but maybe someone can expand on this.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Behmer » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:28 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Hmm.. right into the BM website. That is indeed how to change the ticket address.. but there's nothing that's expiring tonight.. and STEP and directed distribution tickets are non-transferable.

I call scam.

Interesting. Yea, he said he will sit with me while I enter my address, CC info and everything and then put his 2 codes in. As a web developer, hacker, nerd, seasoned second hand ticket purchaser I am a bit skeptical.
Behmer

Postby Behmer » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:32 pm

If we can for sure catch this guy is a scam I would love to do something about it to prevent him from stealing from others. At least I could go have some fun at Starbucks and really shake him up a bit..As I poke around all through his fake/masked website code and whois information with him sitting right there. Ill have my webcam recording for all to enjoy
Behmer

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:34 pm

The direct distribution was supposed to end on April (?) 30th. Maybe end of March....

I'm also a little creeped out by somebody watching me enter my credit card number.... He could be recording everything with a camera of his own...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Behmer » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:42 pm

So is this for sure a scam? I really wanna do something about this if it is.
Behmer

Postby gyre » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:50 pm

Code expires= scam
gyre

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:52 pm

We cannot offer you certainty. I suggest that you track down the ticket page(s) on burningman.com and see what the procedure for transferring tickets is. And you might want to figure out the dates. I will say this. If he does have some sort of direct distribution tickets he's not supposed to selling to someone else. It's supposed to go to essential persons, volunteers or theme campers. And that doesn't involve furtive meetings at St*rf*cks.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Onion » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:58 pm

Directed tickets for art projects are using a time sensitive code which does expire if the ticket is not purchased in time. We actually just submitted our final request for tickets for the CORE project last week. However those tickets are for core artists and helpers.
Onion

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Dragon Lotus Camp

Postby Sham » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:01 pm

My guess is that your credit card info is going to be saved and sent to Nigeria for some serious purchases. This transaction has a really stinky smell to it.
Sham

Postby lucky420 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:04 am

Tickets for volunteers did expire last night. I don't know if theme camp allocations are the same ones or not...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby gyre » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:06 am

So this could be legit?
gyre

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:46 am

gyre wrote:So this could be legit?

Sure. And a prince in Nigeria wants to pay you $15,000,000 because he likes you.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby remi » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:02 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:
gyre wrote:So this could be legit?

Sure. And a prince in Nigeria wants to pay you $15,000,000 because he likes you.

That's funny.. I got the same email. Looks like we're both going to be rich as fuck! The Nigerian prince is so nice! I just have to pay him 10,000$ up front for the $15,000,000.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:39 am

Again, if it was part of the volunteer allotment, it was not meant to be sold by volunteers or others who had access, just bought by them. Whether or not it was a scam, it was against the intended use of the llc.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Borris » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:41 am

since the guy is willing to meet you in person, guide you through the entire process, and wait with you for the confirmation this actually looks like a valid ticket. fishy but valid, since he will probably be selling you a volunteer/artist/somesortofBMOrg ticket. is he taking a fee on top of the ticket price that you have to pay him at the end of the process?
Shit, where was i for the last week... ehm...
Borris

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: DPW

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:44 am

He's not paying the ticket price to the guy, he's paying it to the llc. I"m guessing there's a fee on top of that...

And wasn't last night the night it expired?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Mojojita » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:14 pm

This guy apparently was issued a code as a volunteer/artist/etc and is selling the code for acquiring the ticket. The way to bust him is through whatever group gave him the code. He should never be offered another! This is one of the loopholes in the allocation system - if someone did get a ticket in the lottery or low income ticket and also was given the opportunity to buy one via allocation code, the opportunity for mayhem exists. I am surprised we don't hear of this more often. He would sell the one that cost the most - hence selling the code for a volunteer ticket.

Any of those tickets that are not going to be used as intended need to go back into BMHQ to be used in STEP.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion