Options for late coming virgin

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Options for late coming virgin

Postby kiss-o-matic » Thu May 24, 2012 10:34 pm

I won't give you (too much of) my sob story. Long term friends that used to live on this part of the world, who now on the other (Europe) are going this year. I'm just now getting out of a pretty shit marriage -- so shit I've never been invited to anything since I didn't show up to a wedding in the group. So, I didn't bother with the initial lottery. Due to my recent paradigm shift in life, I really can't think of a better way to spend 8 days.

From what I've read, which isn't too extensive, but a bit, STEP is not an option for me. That leaves 1: Outside of STEP for a place like here (unlikely), or 2: Scalp.

I know scalping is frowned upon, but does anyone think the odds of getting a non-scalped ticket are worth bothering? It seems the demand FAR outweighs the supply. I've had a brutal year financially, but I have my job, and I'm in no danger of being thrown out on the streets (for now anyway). As all participants in my group would be coming from 5,000 miles away or more, there's a huge chance it won't happen again for ages, if ever.

Don't know what the hell I'm looking for w/ this thread. :) . My situation is really no better or worse than anyone else's. I just want to go, and have no ticket. I know that scalping goes against the idea of the event, but if I buy a scalped ticket, doesn't that better the odds for someone worse off financially? Decisions, decisions.
kiss-o-matic

Burning Since: 2012

Re: Options for late coming virgin

Postby gyre » Fri May 25, 2012 3:31 am

It may seem odd if you haven't been, but no, don't buy a scalped ticket.

Be sure this is something you want to do first.

Make your plans and keep looking for a ticket.
Have your friends ask around too.
There will be people changing plans and selling tickets even after the gates open.

Is it possible to see your friends before and after the burn?

Even when there is a pause, I find it hard to talk with people out there.
It's all a bit distracting.
Much easier to do that outside the event.
gyre

Postby kiss-o-matic » Fri May 25, 2012 4:14 am

I see your point. It's not so much the meeting (we will meet very briefly before) as it is the experience, of course. We can talk on Skype. Two of these guys I shared the funnest time of my life with (first years in Japan) and honestly, have only met one of them about 3 times since. We're on opposite ends of the world, with families, so this is kind of a special trip. Ironically, it was me being so distant for so long (mainly due to my situation) that nobody bothered to get in contact and have me enter the lottery. No time machine though... just gotta suck it up.

The group is pretty big and already WAY light on tickets (even though they all entered the lottery) so that's a bit of salt on the wound. Will wait around and see though. Good things do happen, right?
kiss-o-matic

Postby gyre » Fri May 25, 2012 4:43 am

Tapering your experience to other's pace out there may be difficult.
I can't do it much.

Some times I have wandered with other people, and it was all completely different from anything I would have done.
There are some things everyone wants to see though.
Works best for those.

Everyone has a different idea though.
gyre

Postby kiss-o-matic » Fri May 25, 2012 7:57 am

Cheers for the feedback. Noted.
Got my fingers crossed.
kiss-o-matic

Postby gyre » Fri May 25, 2012 8:25 am

If you do consider an overprice ticket, I wouldn't even worry until right before you leave Reno or SF for the playa.

And I understand some very forlorn ticket sellers were out near Gerlach.

It will become obvious closer to the burn if worry is called for.

Keep asking around.
gyre

Postby kiss-o-matic » Fri May 25, 2012 8:53 am

That's the other thing... the worrying nature of my Japanese counterparts I'm surrounded by rubs off on me. Cultural thing -- everything requires panic. Haha. Hopefully I can score something at face value (or more likely -- fair-valued trade) before it comes to that.
kiss-o-matic

Postby gyre » Fri May 25, 2012 9:02 am

If you feel the need to panic, run in very tight circles and wave your arms about.
Then you'll feel better.

And post a video.
gyre

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Fri May 25, 2012 1:47 pm

Kiss-o-matic,

Remember that your Japanese cohort often only take a small percentage of their paid leave (and begrudgingly at that), that they generally considering being part of large group tours playing "follow the flag" and spending exactly 2.3 minutes at each point of interest a good vacation, and that all of this is planned out years in advance. I remember my bosses trying to convince me to cancel my already-paid-for travel plans after word got out about swine flu - in a completely different part of the world than where I was traveling to. Don't let the inflexibility formalized traditions get you down - this is your adventure, dammit!

As far as the ticket is concerned: I know a lot of people are counting on the same thing, but hopefully when the physical tickets are mailed out in June there'll be more floating around. And, on the bright side, you won't need 40 different pieces of paper to be hanko'd by five different people to get one :)
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby vargaso » Fri May 25, 2012 5:10 pm

Buy a ticket any way you can, it sounds like this is a once in a very long time gathering of friends and you'll all be traveling a long way to get there. I'm only buying face value, but people's circumstances are different.
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby kiss-o-matic » Fri May 25, 2012 6:49 pm

Thanks guys. Good advice.

Sounds like you've spent some time in Japan or dealing with Japanese on a business level, ensimismada. I should mention my place of work is in the Bay Area (I am a satellite worker). All westerners, but the company used to be in Japan. My boss has given me time off for the event, and is fully aware of what it is -- as aware as you can be w/o going that is.
kiss-o-matic

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion