How to sell an unneeded STEP ticket?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

How to sell an unneeded STEP ticket?

Postby perroquet » Thu May 24, 2012 10:05 am

Hi all,

I got a ticket through STEP, and now I need to sell it back. Never got any sort of email with a link to sell back my ticket to STEP. I emailed support 2x and no response yet. Can someone help me? I would really like to return this ticket as soon as possible.

Thanks!
perroquet

Re: How to sell an unneeded STEP ticket?

Postby trilobyte » Thu May 24, 2012 10:29 am

Perhaps they're giving you time to read the FAQ

Q: I want to sell my tickets with STEP but got no email with instructions, what should I do?
A: If you do not receive an email by 3/1/12, please contact online support here and select “Missing STEP email” from the drop down menu.

That, or they're swamped with requests and haven't gotten the chance to respond yet.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby perroquet » Thu May 24, 2012 11:18 am

Thanks, already read the FAQ. I guess I'll just wait for a response then... I followed the instructions exactly.
perroquet

Postby AndiD » Sun May 27, 2012 7:02 pm

Hey perroquet, do you recall what time signed up for STEP?
Pit Bulls need love too!
AndiD

Postby FeetOfClay » Mon May 28, 2012 5:30 am

yeah--just wait a bit more, and then if still no response, email using that link again! they're prob just really busy :)
What is this quintessence of dust?
FeetOfClay

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Postby perroquet » Thu May 31, 2012 10:52 pm

So, today I got an email from Marilyn at orders.burningman.com:

Hi [perroquet],

STEP tickets are not transferable. They are for use by the purchaser.

Thank you,
Marilyn

Umm, what?? I understand not being able to resell a STEP ticket on the open market, and having to return it to the STEP program. But here Marilyn is saying that my ticket is final sale. If something comes up and I can't use it, I just have to eat the cost of $390 and nobody else can get it. Really? Where was this in the FAQ? I always thought that I could resell it back to the STEP program and make it available to someone else at face value, losing only the handling cost. This is kind of insane.

There should be a giant warning when someone buys a STEP ticket: **** STEP TICKETS ARE FINAL SALE. IF THE TICKET IS NOT USED, IT CANNOT BE RESOLD TO THE STEP PROGRAM AND YOU WILL LOSE THE ENTIRE TICKET VALUE**** Also it's kind of lame that if I can't use my ticket, it just disappears and nobody else can use it. I can't be the only person in the STEP program who might need to resell their ticket. What a dumb rule when there is such ticket scarcity.

I am just blown away.

(PS, since this happened, my plans changed and I might actually be able to go. But I am posting this as a rant/FYI for anyone else who has a STEP ticket. Trilobyte or another moderator - if you happen to read this -- is this for real?)
perroquet

Postby junglesmacks » Thu May 31, 2012 11:01 pm

You're misunderstanding.

STEP ticket sales are final in the sense that they're non-transferable outside of STEP. The only way to "sell" STEP tickets is to turn them back in to the STEP program.

It's important to take a second and re-remember what the STEP program was invented for: A last ditch effort to safely connect people that missed out on the lottery with tickets. It's not an open sale. It's not an avenue to buy tickets and re-sell them. It's specifically to hook up lottery "losers" with tickets.

Sales are final in that no, you can't re-sell your awarded tickets.. because we all know the abuse potential. They're for you to use.. since you lost in the lottery and obviously wanted to go.. so here's a second chance. If you don't want them, then turn them back in.

Simple as that.

Relax.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby perroquet » Thu May 31, 2012 11:21 pm

Hey JS --

That's exactly what I tried to do. I'm sure it was a misunderstanding and I didn't word my email to support correctly. Please do delete that post above, if you like, because in retrospect it is very ranty!!

Apologies for the misunderstanding.
perroquet

Postby Just_Joe » Thu May 31, 2012 11:36 pm

junglesmacks wrote:You're misunderstanding

No, YOU'RE misunderstanding.
Reread the initial (and subsequent) posts- she's been trying to turn return them back into STEP for days.
viewtopic.php?p=837528#p837528
Just_Joe

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: ABC (Alphabet Block Camp)

Postby MIse » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:29 am

I completely freaked when I logged in & saw this, as we're in same situation, managed to get 4 tickets from STEP between 2 of us & now one of us possibly might not be able to go.....did a double check on the FAQ though & its there clear as day:

Q: If I buy a ticket through STEP, but then can’t go to the event, can I sell it back into STEP?
A: Yes. The only way you can sell a ticket you’ve bought through STEP is to sell it back through STEP. You may not assign or sell a STEP ticket to another person of your own choosing.
MIse

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:41 am

@perroquet - sounds like a wire has been crossed in your communications with Marilyn. The way to sell a STEP ticket back into STEP should work as follows… Click the link on the FAQ page and follow the instructions for "missing STEP email" to request that an email with instructions/links for selling your ticket into STEP. When that email arrives, follow those instructions. If that doesn't work for any reason, please send me a PM with your info (name and email you registered under) and I'll follow up with the ticket team for you.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Franklin1948 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:03 am

I got a $320 ticket through Step on June 13th. On Sunday, June 5th, I tried to sell it back through Step after noting the June 7th deadline. I hadn't realized that a special link was necessary to do this, and like perroquet who posted above, I never received a "Have Tickets" Email link. - I suspect that they were not sent to people who bought a ticket through Step - So on June 5th, I sent a message to burning man tickets requesting a link. - On Monday, June 6th, I sent the message again, since I had heard nothing. - Yesterday, June 7th I got an obviously form message from Jordan saying Step was closed and to sell any extra tickets through Eplaya - which is not possible because Step tickets can't be transferred except through Step- So yesterday, I sent another message to burningman tickets - and today June8th, I got another form message from Marilyn (the same ticket representative who was so confused in perroquet's situation) saying exactly the same thing.

I realized that I waited to a late date to try to sell myt I paid attention to the June 7th deadline, and expected the sale to be quick and hassle free as promised in the instructions, particularly given that the ticket is a $320 ticket.

So it appears that I am screwed, because I can neither sell nor give away this ticket. - I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Franklin1948

Postby Jackass » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:07 am

Do a name change at will call.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token
Jackass

Postby Franklin1948 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:27 pm

I can't do a name change at Will Call because after 12 years in a row, I am not planning to go this year. However, I did write Marilyn an Email with the subject line, "Please read this Email before sending a canned response."
Franklin1948

Postby Playamouth » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:43 pm

I'm in a tricky position with a STEP ticket, and would appreciate any advice. I've already been in discussions with the support staff, but am not any clearer on what to do.

I bought two $390 tickets through STEP, understanding that they could only be re-sold again through STEP. I put them back into the STEP sale, however they were not bought, and remained unsold in STEP until it closed. I've now been advised by email that STEP is closed, and I should sell the tickets through the board.

However as they were originally purchaseed through STEP, they are not eligible for transfer to another name, so I'm not sure how to go about selling them. I'm hoping that this name transfer restriction can be removed, otherwise I am stuck with the tickets. I won't be in the US, so can't do a transfer in person.

Can anyone advise? Trilobyte, do you have any insights?

Thanks very much

(NB, am also selling two other tickets elsewhere on the board, but they aren't STEP, so the process is simpler. A whole Gang have become unable to go from our camp :( )
Playamouth

Burning Since: 2009

Postby pink » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:14 pm

If you put the tix into step, they could still be making their way down the queue. Yesterday was the last day to put tix in, but per Trilo's posts, they are still available to buy (unless the queue is cleared completely).
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby Franklin1948 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:40 pm

It would make sense to remove the transfer restrictions, and treat all Will call tickets the same way since scalping has turned out not to be a big problem - in part because the Burning Man Organization ended up creating a huge number of new tickets- including 1,000 that were sold starting August 3rd - the effect of which no doubt messed up some people trying to sell through STEP.- I wouldn't be surprised to find out that STEP was intentionally slowed down, until these tickets were unloaded. (I was told in an Email on August 7th that Step was already closed- I asked for a link to sell a ticket on August 5th and 6th and heard nothing until the 7th).
Franklin1948

Postby trilobyte » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:56 pm

The terms and conditions of tickets purchased through STEP were made clear prior to the launch of the program (and I imagine you clicked to accept those terms and conditions both when you registered for the queue and when you made your purchase. Tickets purchased through STEP are non-transferable and non-refundable. While the STEP program offered a possible option to sell on your tickets, that was only a) during the program and b) if there were buyers for your ticket in the queue.

I'm still waiting on a couple answers myself, but it appears that with last Friday's open sale, a huge chunk of the remaining STEP backlog was able to be cleared. While it doesn't help you out in any way, personally I'd be extremely happy if everyone who'd been so (im)patiently waiting on that list for so many months was able to get a ticket.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Franklin1948 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:22 pm

It appears from Playamouth's post that Step had a backlog of sellers, not buyers when 1,000 more tickets were released. - The terms of Step were reasonably clear but both sides should have to play by them, including,

- In good faith, making Step "Hassle Free" as promised in the instructions.
- Making sure every Step buyer got a timely 'Have tickets" sell link as promised in the rules, which was clearly not done.
- Not cutting off Step on August 7th - Most reasonable people would assume it would not be cut off until the 8th.
- Responding promptly to a request for a Sell link - particularly since it appears that many, if not all people who bought through Step didn't get one.
- Not ruining the Step market, by releasing another 1,000 tickets at the last minute. (on August 3rd.). - Those tickets should not have been released until after August 7th.
- Taking into consideration the fact that in some places the instructions say that people may sell a ticket "back to Step" and in other places "through step" , suggesting that a seller couldn't get stuck with a ticket. (As in this quote from the FAQs: "anyone who buys a ticket through STEP cannot resell it to anyone other than back to STEP.")

The way to fix this problem is to make all Will call tickets transferable in the same way. Scalping is no longer a problem as a result of the Burning Man Organization creating far more tickets than last year.
Franklin1948

Postby Playamouth » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:29 am

Thanks for the post Franklin1948', that very eloquently explains the point I'm trying to make.

I did read the terms and conditions, and understood that the ticket could only be resold through STEP. The implication was that tickets would easily be sold through STEP, and from monitoring this board I could see that there were plenty of STEP buyers. The late ticket sale unfortunately removed them all from the pool in one go, and of course I'm delighted that so many people who had waited patiently now get to go. In fact, I myself waited patiently in line for STEP.

I appreciate that it was my false assumptions above that has led to the issue I'm facing. However, given that the only means for selling the tickets on has now been closed down, I was hoping that Burning Man might remove the ticket resale restriction and allow me to try and sort the sale myself.

I understand that the 'no resale' restriction was placed to stop scalpers, however I am not looking to make a profit from the ticket and would sell at face value. I even have some friends willing to buy the tickets, so it's upsetting that I am not allowed to make the sale.

Thank you
Alice
Playamouth

Burning Since: 2009

Postby trilobyte » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:07 am

People requesting links/URL's all went through the same process and taken in turn. While we all would have liked for it to be faster/instant, the other sellers ahead of you would still have gotten into the system ahead of you. From what I've seen posted online, there was still a fairly sizable backlog in STEP less than a week ago. STEP ticket contributions were taking a while to sell because of the decline rate (people who had been registered for months but no longer needed the tickets). When the seller's tickets were offered out, the offer sat without a response for 72 hours (the amount of time people had to respond) and were then offered to the next person in the queue.

As I'd said previously, I'm still waiting on a couple answers myself - so I couldn't definitively say what options would be available (if any). I only pointed out the information that was made clear from the start, and that they may have also been stated in the terms and conditions that were agreed to by people entering the queue, purchasing tickets, and contributing tickets. I wasn't a STEP participant, so I can't say that I've read or familiarized myself with those details. But the STEP close date has been in the FAQ since before the program launched, in reading it I don't see anything that gives me the sense that STEP ticket holders would have an unlimited opportunity to sell their tickets on.

Speaking personally, I think an end date of August 7 means sometime on August 7th…but if the queue did in fact empty out, the point is moot. You could contribute all the tickets you wanted, if there are no buyers then there would be no sale. In retrospect, waiting until such a late date to make your decision may not have been a great idea.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby devachanlounge » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:22 pm

I am asking for advice and clarification on behalf of a friend of mine. She has a STEP ticket and as of yesterday is unable to attend. Without going into details, there are multiple legitimate reasons she suddenly can't go, all not her fault and beyond her control. She is a veteran burner and was one of the lead builders on the 2001 Temple, and has followed the rules laid down by the LLC for STEP. She in no way can afford eating the cost of a ticket, and wanted to be on the playa this year.

To continue her misfortune and deny her both the playa and the money she spent on her ticket seems grossly unfair. I cannot in any way see the logic in closing STEP before the end of the event. If the LLC wanted to hand the scalpers yet another fat gift, this is it. Now the paper tickets the scaplers are profiteering are worth even more as the STEP ticket holders are now holding worthless digital bits that are untransferable and unusable. It seems wrong that the LLC will keep the money rather than refund it. Is this legal? It's also unfair to the people still needing tickets since there will be many orphaned STEP tickets they are denied because of the misguided decision to close STEP before the event.

OK, off the soap box. How can she sell or transfer her STEP ticket at this point? I will relay the answer to her and try to cheer her up. Getting her money back will help.
devachanlounge

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: The Devachan Lounge

Postby pink » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:35 pm

Scalpers? Check the tickets offered board. Check CL & Facebook. There are tix everywhere. When she bought a STEP ticket she took her chances. STEP had to close at some point; its time for the people in the Borg to head to the playa. Like they do every year at about this time.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:37 pm

Things were ugly 6 months ago when 3x as many people as expected signed up for the Main Sale. There was a huge outcry insisting that tickets were made untransferable. I'm sorry that your friend got crunched by those jaws. There are other people who also tried to put tickets into STEP and didn't make it in time. The ugly thing is that someone has to draw lines, and once the lines are drawn there are always worthy people who don't qualify and nasty pieces of work who get the goodies. We live in an imperfect world and life is unfair.
I don't really know what else to say. As pink says, the people with power to do anything (and they may or may not possess the will) are becoming less accessible and much busier. About the only useful thing I can think of to say, is that when her feelings settle down she might want to write a letter and send it to the llc and also post it publicly, explaining how she lost out because of the non-transferable nature of STEP tickets. I'm sure that the rules for ticket sales will be different next year. Whether or not the llc has decided already, having solid stories, with honest accounts of the harm and hurt, but not huge drama queen coloring, could add nuance to the discussion the community your friend has belonged to for over a decade will have.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:14 am

There's not much your friend can do, unfortunately. Per the terms and conditions of the STEP program (which were outlayed and agreed to when she joined the queue and when the tickets were purchased) the tickets were non-refundable and non-transferable, and with STEP there was no guarantee of sale even if the ticket had been contributed before the August 7 ending.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby oddty711 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:47 am

It appears I'm in the same boat with devachanlounge and for the first time since 2005 I won't be able to be on the playa this year.

Back in March I won 2 STEP tickets after loosing the lottery. Then a month before the gate opens I learned I wouldn't be able to go and requested the sale link. It took days for the link to arrive and when it did, it was the afternoon of Aug 3, after another 1000 tickets were released.
My tickets didn't sell.
I had 2 tickets, one was for my ticket partner who is now out her ticket because I can't physically be at the gate to collect them for her. While I certainly don't want to eat these tickets, the fact I can't transfer them to someone who needs them is horrible.

I've emailed to BORG for clarification on what happens to my tickets and the only response I've received is a boiler plate "STEP is now CLOSED." Because I put my tickets up for sale through STEP I'm not clear they would even be at the gate if I were to attend and I can't get that clarified either.

yes I read the instructions with the STEP tickets, yet there was no way to expect it would take the BORG days to simply send a sale link. Or that another 1000 tickets would go on sale right before STEP closed. For those of us who played by the rules and put our tickets up for sale through STEP, the BORG should allow us to transfer our tickets to another person we designate. Clearly we are not scalpers trying to mark up the ticket price and I'm happy to sign whatever documentation I would need to stating so.

I am not a scalper and have always considered it bad juju to try to make a profit off BM tickets. Yet now I'm about to eat 2 perfectly good tickets and still be obligated to purchase yet another ticket for my ticket partner. The purpose of STEP was to facilitate the movement of tickets in the BM community without scalping. This thread is proof there are clearly problems with that. There is no reason that a full month before the event, I shouldn't be able to move tickets I can't use to a new home that needs them.

BORG, please help all of us who are in this situation. There is still time to make it right!
oddty711

Postby trilobyte » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:55 am

For what it's worth, it took everyone selling tickets ahead of you days to get a link as well. Had they all gotten them instantly, you would still have wound up in the same situation.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby MacGlenver » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:27 pm

What about this: Get your ticket from will call, then walk back thru the line of cars and sell it to people needing tickets. The actual ticket you get from Will Call won't have your name on it or anything, right?

Terrible idea, or just bad idea? :)
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby Clockwork_Wizard » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:47 pm

MacGlenver wrote:What about this: Get your ticket from will call, then walk back thru the line of cars and sell it to people needing tickets. The actual ticket you get from Will Call won't have your name on it or anything, right?

Terrible idea, or just bad idea? :)

He won't be on Playa this year to even try it (good idea though).

I find it disheartening that there were people still trying to put tickets into STEP - and others (like myself) still waiting for tickets from STEP - even after it officially closed. What a clusterf***
Clockwork_Wizard

Postby oddty711 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:52 pm

I'm required to travel for work during Burning Man so picking it up and selling is out.
At the very least I'm going to send a friend with all my paperwork, signed letter and copies of my ID to see if I can at least get the tix as a keepsake if not gift them to someone who needs them.

The end result from this is neither I nor anyone in my camp will use STEP again. Hard tickets only.
I'm against scalping, but had I bought scalped tickets I could at least gift them to someone who needed them.
The fact that STEP is making me even think scalping has a benefit means it needs to be completely overhauled.

I'm so frustrated by this situation right now.

...and the latest JRS just arrived claiming that everyone that wanted a STEP Ticket received one. Clearly that wasn't true.
Clockwork_Wizard if you still need tickets, I have tickets that need a home. Email me off list and maybe if we both email the BORG together they will let us do the exchange.
oddty711

Next

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion