Low Income Application Denied

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Low Income Application Denied

Postby trilobyte » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:09 pm

Sorry to hear that you misread the information and instructions. It was neither a first come, first served nor a burnier than thou system. As with previous years, there are many more applicants than there are low income tickets available. Applications need to be reviewed (and yes, judged), and tough decisions need to be made.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby BBadger » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:25 am

Did you arrive at this judgement epiphany before or after you submitted your income information so that the Org could judge whether you qualify?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby veleda » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:57 pm

Did you actually get a denial letter?

I got my L.I.T. award last Friday. None of my friends have received a yes or no yet. I am just wondering if you got a 'no' confirmation or whether this is just conjecture on your part? Have all LIT's been handed out?
Luv n' Rocket;
Veleda
Sacred Spaces Village
veleda

Postby Oldguy » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:02 pm

Recheck all of your e-mail accounts. I got my LIT last Thursday but did not find it untill today. I use different addresses to catch spam. I thought one ISP put up incoming mail automatically, but instead, :oops: I had to put in my password to open mail.
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby snardy » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:23 pm

I received a denial email late yesterday. My income last year also showed less than $10K (grad student, my proof was tax documents from my uni).
Have gone to BM once before and indicated that in my app.

One of the girls in my group (she's a Birgin) got a LIT. She made more than me last year (though not by much). We both submitted LIT applications as soon as they floodgates opened.

It's pretty much a crap shoot, I think.

Here's the message text:

"Unfortunately, we're writing to let you know that after careful consideration you are not being awarded a Low Income Ticket this year.

Thank you for taking the time to apply and for sharing your story with us. We encourage you to connect with your local Burning Man community to see if they may have a ticket available to sell you. You can also look on our online community bulletin board, the ePlaya: http://eplaya.burningman.com

We understand that this is sure to be a disappointment, and for that we are sorry.

Wishing you the best,

Burning Man Tickets"
snardy

Postby veleda » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:21 pm

I have no idea what all the factors are. I am sure they did their best..some of it may have been the strength of what people wrote in terms of what they were contributing to the burn.. with artists performers etc getting more weight. i know if i was running that.. i would weight number of years burning and past and current projects pretty heavily.
Luv n' Rocket;
Veleda
Sacred Spaces Village
veleda

Postby MyPlayaUserName » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:08 am

Am to understand that this means if we are not awarded a ticket, we will be notified?
MyPlayaUserName

Burning Since: 2007

Postby snardy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:42 pm

MyPlayaUserName wrote:Am to understand that this means if we are not awarded a ticket, we will be notified?

Yup, that's what it seems.

Funny enough, I got rejected from LIT and then this morning my friend texts me and says if I want both of her $240 tickets. She & her husband decided to not go this year.
Life is weird.
snardy

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:24 pm

..but you can't afford those tickets since you applied to the LI program because that was the only way that you could attend..

Right?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby hotmess » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:53 pm

junglesmacks wrote:..but you can't afford those tickets since you applied to the LI program because that was the only way that you could attend..

Right?

hmmmmmmmmmmm????? good point
hotmess

Camp Name: Kamp Krusty

Postby Bounce530 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:07 pm

hotmess wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:..but you can't afford those tickets since you applied to the LI program because that was the only way that you could attend..

Right?

hmmmmmmmmmmm????? good point

I'll take both those tickets!
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby trilobyte » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:11 pm

Yes, notifications will be sent out (one way or the other) once the determination has been made. No, all notifications have not yet been sent out.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Annfan » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:27 pm

Thanks for keeping us updated. I toast this glass of wine to you. xoxox
Annfan

Postby ZaphodBurner » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:38 pm

thegreatsowhat wrote: Think about that though- they judged me. It goes against all of the beautiful principles that I have learned from and witnessed at Burning Man.

The hate you, is what it is. They looked at your application and thought "We hate this person." Then, even though they could have, they chose not to magically create more tickets for a sold-out event just so that you could go. :wink:

The Ticketbastard solution to this would be to raise the ticket prices until supply matches demand, and then they'll just be $700 tickets and the ones given to promoters and radio programs.

If tickets were $750 each, Burning Man wouldn't be sold out and anybody who wanted could get tickets. I'm sorry that you haven't gotten a ticket *YET* but, personally, I'm thankful that they haven't gone the commercial/capitalist route of jacking the prices AND giving discounts and freebies to their chronies. I don't think you or I would be any happier.

Best of luck to you!
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby MyPlayaUserName » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:40 pm

[quote="trilobyte"]Yes, notifications will be sent out (one way or the other) once the determination has been made. No, all notifications have not yet been sent out.[/quote]

Thank you very much for this clear info. Very helpful.

I feel like I am waiting to find out if I won the lottery!
MyPlayaUserName

Previous

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion