Savory Rumor Mill Bite

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Savory Rumor Mill Bite

Postby DeusRegit » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:58 am

I live in a remote area of west central Nevada and BM news is pretty infrequent in this highly conservative location but here's a good one that's worth posting - I'd be real curious to know the "confidence level" on this.
We did hear a while back that BM LLC had put in an application to increase the population limit currently set at 50,000. This morning I heard that their application has been approved.
IF this is true and IF that applies to this years event, does that mean there will be, (oh god help us all if this is true), more tickets for sale?
Sandman
Hawthorne, NV
http://www.burningmanzeroseven.com
I'm not burnt, just lightly toasted.
DeusRegit

Burning Since: 2007

Re: Savory Rumor Mill Bite

Postby VultureChow » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:02 am

I thought they were already selling tickets based on the 57,000 anticipated bump.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:06 am

The permit depends, in part, on the EA. Only the Draft Environmental Assessment has been released. I"m not sure if hte comment period is over. The process is supposed to work that the DEA comes out, there is a comment period for other agencies and the public to comment, the BLM takes all that under advisement and writes responses to the comments, and then the Final comes out and that (in this case) is when they grant or not the permit. The EA says March, so I'm thinking that it's way too soon for the final to be out. Think June-ish.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lucky420 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:07 am

Hola Sandman/DeusRegit,
Nice to see another burner out here in the sticks of central Nevada. ARe there many burners in Hawthorne? I believe the increase of population request was up to 70,000 but that was supposed to happen over the next 5 year period. A mod may come along here before to long and be able to answer your question better.

I really just wanted to say hello to another burner out this way. Fallon in da house :D

Well see there you go, while fishy is not an offishal mod, she is wise and very informed of what's happening.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby trilobyte » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:09 am

Your savory rumor mill bite is, unfortunately, misinformation. The plans submitted to the BLM (which have been discussed on the boards) does call for a significant increase in numbers (to 70K), but that's over a period of time (through 2016). If you read the publicly available info carefully, you'll see that the plan calls for population not to exceed 58K this year, then 6% annual growth, which gets you to the 70K number by 2016.

A copy of the Environmental Assessment, which includes event plans through 2016, can be found here (300+ page pdf)
https://www.blm.gov/epl-front-office/pr ... 007-EA.pdf

So no, there will not be additional tickets put on sale for this year's event.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion