The perfect solution for 2013 ticket sales

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: The perfect solution for 2013 ticket sales

Postby CornMan » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:35 am

A solution (in retrospect): The LLC should have done nothing different than what they did last year other than require purchasers to attach photos of themselves to be printed on the back of each ticket and to have STEP. Increase ticket prices by $5 (if necessary) to cover the cost of printing the photos. During the event, gate workers might or might not check the photos on the tickets, but just having them on the tickets would spook any scalpers (which may or may not exist) and also reduce purchases by the non-committed. Tickets probably still would have sold out (probably sometime in April or May) which would have caused an uproar among the procrastinators that the ticket distribution system was completely unworkable.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
User avatar
CornMan
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: The perfect solution for 2013 ticket sales

Postby CornMan » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:44 am

Here's how it's done:

Image
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
User avatar
CornMan
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: The perfect solution for 2013 ticket sales

Postby Rice » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:07 pm

Zeke Chaparral wrote:A solution (in retrospect): The LLC should have done nothing different than what they did last year other than require purchasers to attach photos of themselves to be printed on the back of each ticket and to have STEP. Increase ticket prices by $5 (if necessary) to cover the cost of printing the photos. During the event, gate workers might or might not check the photos on the tickets, but just having them on the tickets would spook any scalpers (which may or may not exist) and also reduce purchases by the non-committed. Tickets probably still would have sold out (probably sometime in April or May) which would have caused an uproar among the procrastinators that the ticket distribution system was completely unworkable.


Well that may address the apparent (but not necessarily proven) scalper issue, it does nothing to address the fact that there are less tickets than there are people wishing to attend. If they had left the ticket system in place (as it was) there certainly would have been a large number of people who would not get tickets. The lottery system was an attempt to address this issue (yes, I know it didn't work out as well as planned).

If the system would not allow for the transfer of tickets, then, the picture-on-a-ticket plan would make sense. IE: Purchasers would have to pre-register with photos of all people the tickets are for. no transferring, no changes, no refunds, etc. Otherwise, a scalper would just buy some tickets and transfer them with picture to whomever is their intended victim (customer, whatever)...
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
User avatar
Rice
 
Posts: 1703
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Location: da
Burning Since: 2007

Re: The perfect solution for 2013 ticket sales

Postby Rice » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:25 pm

pink wrote:Damn, I left at about 1pm. No NDN stands up at all. And I was HUNGRY after breaking down camp!


I suspect you may have been distracted (tired, etc.) and simply missed the stand. I believe there is one just before Gerlach (between the 12 Mile turn off and Gerlach). That is simple to miss if you are not looking for it :)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
User avatar
Rice
 
Posts: 1703
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Location: da
Burning Since: 2007

Re: The perfect solution for 2013 ticket sales

Postby CornMan » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:32 pm

The system allows transfer of tickets through STEP. They could have about 10,000 or so tickets at the highest tier ($600) that are completely transferable for those who demand the privilege of being flaky.

To address the higher demand than tickets: Put the highest tiers on sale first. There were not a whole lot of complaints about the $420 presale tickets. Don't make a big deal of things by having a lottery that caused people to game the system and make demand seem higher than what it really was.
Last edited by CornMan on Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
User avatar
CornMan
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: The perfect solution for 2013 ticket sales

Postby Rice » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:35 pm

Zeke Chaparral wrote:The system allows transfer of tickets through STEP. They could have about 10,000 or so tickets at the highest tier ($600) that are completely transferable for those who demand the privilege of being flaky.

How would this prevent a scalper from acting like a flaky burner and buy up tickets to the limit, and transferring them later??
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
User avatar
Rice
 
Posts: 1703
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Location: da
Burning Since: 2007

Re: The perfect solution for 2013 ticket sales

Postby CornMan » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:38 pm

Because those $600 tickets are priced at the less profitable, higher tier.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
User avatar
CornMan
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: The perfect solution for 2013 ticket sales

Postby pink » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:33 am

stretch80 wrote:
pink wrote:Damn, I left at about 1pm. No NDN stands up at all. And I was HUNGRY after breaking down camp!


I suspect you may have been distracted (tired, etc.) and simply missed the stand. I believe there is one just before Gerlach (between the 12 Mile turn off and Gerlach). That is simple to miss if you are not looking for it :)

Yah, the exit road was bone jarringly rutted, it took me an hour just to traverse it. I was looking once I got to the rez.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink
 
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:30 am
Location: sacramento
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Re: The perfect solution for 2013 ticket sales

Postby moonrise » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:01 am

Imagine how "uncool" Burning Man will be when we hit 100k. It sucks, don't go. Go to that non-thing in July, haha...
viewtopic.php?f=290&t=55016&p=821263#p821231
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
User avatar
moonrise
 
Posts: 2204
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:07 pm
Location: Silver Circle; Reno, Tahoe, Vegas

Previous

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest