Why Are We Compelled to Cast Blame…

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Why Are We Compelled to Cast Blame…

Postby Bin Noddin » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:37 pm

Please folks, Iso wasn't herself when she made that first post. Hush. Please, leave this thread now. Don't embarrass her any more. Sssshhhhhh . . . just go . . . quietly, please.
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen
Bin Noddin

Postby dirtstu » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:27 am

Thanks for taking the time on your birthday to post such a great thought.
Refreshing to say the least.
Peace
:)
Harry Nutz
Camp Spank of America
dirtstu

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Spank of America

Postby Drucifer303 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:34 pm

Wow, if that's drunk you witting perhaps you should consider a career in the area.

Very compelling.
Pretend I said something truly hilarious here.
Drucifer303

Burning Since: 2013

Postby ZaphodBurner » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:16 pm

Well done and happy birthday, Iso!

Thank you for sharing the Tragedy of the Commons idea.

With regard to your point about ravers, fratboys, "spectators", hippies... I agree 90% but there's a little room for blaming a behavior type rather than a demographic. Blaming a "litterbug" or "fucking asshole" for trashing the playa is different than blaming fratboys or ravers.

"Spectating" behavior is problematic--in my observed OPINION--whether we choose to radically-include it or not, because without the artists there wouldn't have been a Woodstock and nowadays my wife can't put on a costume and walk down Bourbon Street on Mardi Gras without a bunch of tourists in street clothes and $5 Chinese feather masks following her around if they think she's going to flash her tits. They've completely forgotten that it's a Catholic holiday, much the way people think Cinco De Mayo is "The Mexican Fourth of July."

The funny thing is, Wednesday morning in New Orleans you see plenty of "frat boys" with ash on their foreheads, who got their asses up and went to church while the rest of us were still snoring, fucking or throwing up. It would be wrong for me to suggest that the holiday isn't as meaningful or important to them as it is to me.

Happy birthday again, Iso!
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby glitter-mouse » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:43 am

Isotopia wrote:I think what’s happening is that the event has hit a wall.

we're all REALLY sick of bitter old timers. if BM isn't your cup o tea anymore, then leave it for the rest of us without farting in the room as you walk out. and don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.
glitter-mouse

Postby tamarakay » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:29 am

Wow. Talk about completely missing the point.

Iso, fabulous post.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby byrninsun » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:05 am

While I think this is an excellent and eloquent post, I'm still left with a feeling of dissatisfaction.

It's true that this is a form of the Tragedy of the Commons problem, but that isn't what frustrates me. Plenty of shows I want to go to every year have a limited number of tickets, but at least everyone has a chance to buy them while they are on sale. There is something about this lottery, the questionnaire they had us all fill out asking questions about how "dedicated" we are, and now this last cancellation of the Open Sale to distribute their remaining 10,000 tickets to... well, the privileged few, I have no idea, but not me : All of this makes the process seem incredibly unfair to those of us who aren't long-time goers or who know someone special behind the scenes, or who aren't bringing a giant thousands-of-dollars-Theme Camp - us normal people are completely excluded without so much as a "Sorry 'bout that".

I'm tired of Burners pretending that this is ok! This makes me think that Burning Man has truly become not just a popular event where tickets sell out, but a privileged event where you only get to go if you have thousands of dollars, a giant Art piece or Theme Camp, or know someone on the inside. The lack of fairness means that I'm giving up on Burning Man, and going to the local Burns from now on. I don't want to encourage the practice of Privilege, it goes completely against the idea of radical inclusion, complete acceptance, and other brilliant memes of Burning Man that attracted me in the first place. If that is gone, I don't want to be there anyway. Those who will be there this year are the Privileged, and I am not, so have fun you 1%ers, I'll be seeing the rest of us at the local Burns.
Love, love, love, in all that you do.
byrninsun

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:28 am

byrninsun wrote:...without so much as a "Sorry 'bout that".

There have been apologies. In the burning blog, and probably in jrs, as well. You don't have to accept those apologies, but you shouldn't' pretend they haven't existed, just so you can feel self-righteous.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby glitter-mouse » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:16 am

tamarakay wrote:Wow. Talk about completely missing the point.

the point is - don't criticize, critique, or otherwise offer your suggestions for improvement. don't even discuss what might be wrong. if you don't like the event the way it is then there are plenty of other events for you to attend. the BMorg doesn't need your assistance in determining how to improve the way things are. they've been doing this longer than most participants have bee alive. either attend or don't attend. the bitterness from over-the-hill burners poisons everything the event stands for and potentially may cause a derailment of the evolutionary process.

let it be! let it be! let it be - let it beeee!

i'm so sick of so-called veterans telling us the way it should be, rather than just letting it be. staying home is a perfect option for these kill-joys. i wish they'd use it.
glitter-mouse

Postby The CO » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:46 am

glitter-mouse wrote:i'm so sick of so-called veterans telling us the way it should be, rather than just letting it be.

Yeah, well, I'm sick of people whining about fairness or scalpers or bitching about old-timers, or demanding apologies, so I guess no one gets to be happy.

byrninsun wrote:This makes me think that Burning Man has truly become not just a popular event where tickets sell out, but a privileged event where you only get to go if you have thousands of dollars, a giant Art piece or Theme Camp, or know someone on the inside. The lack of fairness means that I'm giving up on Burning Man, and going to the local Burns from now on. I don't want to encourage the practice of Privilege, it goes completely against the idea of radical inclusion, complete acceptance, and other brilliant memes of Burning Man that attracted me in the first place. If that is gone, I don't want to be there anyway. Those who will be there this year are the Privileged, and I am not, so have fun you 1%ers, I'll be seeing the rest of us at the local Burns.

byrn, I just want you to know that we, the privileged 1%, will enjoy the hell out of the ticket that we all conspired to keep you from getting. We are inviting nothing but jaded old-timers, virgins, and all my frat bros from Kanta Getta Tix. And we will be profiting off of the thousands of tickets our privately help company, "Fuckyerday Ticket Services", makes from selling your ticket.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby ygmir » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:04 am

The CO wrote:
glitter-mouse wrote:i'm so sick of so-called veterans telling us the way it should be, rather than just letting it be.

Yeah, well, I'm sick of people whining about fairness or scalpers or bitching about old-timers, or demanding apologies, so I guess no one gets to be happy.

byrninsun wrote:This makes me think that Burning Man has truly become not just a popular event where tickets sell out, but a privileged event where you only get to go if you have thousands of dollars, a giant Art piece or Theme Camp, or know someone on the inside. The lack of fairness means that I'm giving up on Burning Man, and going to the local Burns from now on. I don't want to encourage the practice of Privilege, it goes completely against the idea of radical inclusion, complete acceptance, and other brilliant memes of Burning Man that attracted me in the first place. If that is gone, I don't want to be there anyway. Those who will be there this year are the Privileged, and I am not, so have fun you 1%ers, I'll be seeing the rest of us at the local Burns.

byrn, I just want you to know that we, the privileged 1%, will enjoy the hell out of the ticket that we all conspired to keep you from getting. We are inviting nothing but jaded old-timers, virgins, and all my frat bros from Kanta Getta Tix. And we will be profiting off of the thousands of tickets our privately help company, "Fuckyerday Ticket Services", makes from selling your ticket.

oh CO..........you eloquent bastard!!! ** admiration**
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby glitter-mouse » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:26 am

The CO wrote:
glitter-mouse wrote:I'm sick of people whining about fairness or scalpers or bitching about old-timers, or demanding apologies...

okay, grandpa. i think it's time for your kind to start your own event and stop ruining this one for the people that really matter. maybe you and your friends can pile up all your dirty depends and light that shit on fire and sing kumbaya just before you all blow your brains out.
glitter-mouse

Postby Isotopia » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:37 am

i think it's time for your kind to start your own event and stop ruining this one for the people that really matter.

Ah yes, the inevitable us vs them troll.

Creative Troll Assessment Score: 1.25 (out of ten)
Isotopia

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:41 am

And Ygmir was wondering why I don't spend much time over here anymore... :roll:
Suck it. -PlayaWaste Raiders
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead
Dr Jet Sinister

Postby glitter-mouse » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:45 am

Isotopia wrote:
whatever...

you're just mad because you don't have a ticket, and i have 2.
glitter-mouse

Postby Elorrum » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:01 pm

*Whurp! whuuuurp! whuuuurp! whuuuurp!* dang it kitty! quit reading glitter mouse, you know how it makes you feel.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby kvon » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:26 pm

Elorrum wrote:*Whurp! whuuuurp! whuuuurp! whuuuurp!* dang it kitty! quit reading glitter mouse, you know how it makes you feel.

if, I'm am understanding Elorrum, is it that your kitty will be vomiting hairball, when kitty is reading glitter mouse?
Some of references here on your eplaya still confuse me, but, it is what I'm am thinking you are mean.

if it is what you are meaning, I must agree with your kitty...........even if I have no hairball to vomit, my bratwurst mit zwiebelsauce is to be churning and bubbling
KVH
kvon

Postby Eric » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:56 pm

glitter-mouse wrote:the bitterness from over-the-hill burners poisons everything the event stands for and potentially may cause a derailment of the evolutionary process.

[mod hat off]

Oh, the irony of someone who's every post drips negativity calling others bitter. Still lacking skill in the performance art arena, but you are desperately trying.

[mod hat on]
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby glitter-mouse » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:01 pm

Eric wrote:
glitter-mouse wrote:Oh, the irony of someone who's every post drips negativity calling others bitter.

coming from a such hipster, that's a compliment.
glitter-mouse

Postby ZaphodBurner » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:10 pm

byrninsun wrote: This makes me think that Burning Man has truly become not just a popular event where tickets sell out, but a privileged event where you only get to go if you have thousands of dollars, a giant Art piece or Theme Camp, or know someone on the inside.

In other words, no spectators? Radically-include that idea for awhile and consider what it might look like.

byrninsun wrote:The lack of fairness means that I'm giving up on Burning Man, and going to the local Burns from now on.

This is the greatest gift to the community. You have martyred yourself. We should radically include that too.

But, really, a city filled with angry martyrs is nowhere near as interesting as Black Rock City with awesome art, music, and collaborative ("theme") projects.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby EspressoDude » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:11 pm

all this bitching and whining wants me want to take my 2 tickets and the money I paid for them and burn the fuckers..goddamn negative assholes can go pound playa dust
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:11 pm

I think that "derailment of the evolutionary process" is one of those clauses that makes no sense. "Evolutionary processes" don't ride rails. They just go...wherever...
Although I do wish our president would stop talking about how his thinking on gay marriage is "evolving" and just put his bully pulpit might behind legalizing it.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:11 pm

Glittermouse is just mad because the topic of this thread is about him.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:40 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:Glittermouse is just mad because the topic of this thread is about him.

I would say it's because it isn't about him. Perhaps we could all help the bright-eyed and excited virgins by suggesting they go ahead and plonk him as soon as they sign up.

Nevertheless, all the negativity around here isn't going to ruin my burn one little bit since I'm one of the privileged 1% and all. :D
Dr Jet Sinister

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:24 pm

The only person I have ever "plonked" was mouseymouse(erri2000), what is up with the trollness of those taking on mouse AKAs?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:29 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:The only person I have ever "plonked" was mouseymouse(erri2000), what is up with the trollness of those taking on mouse AKAs?

Trolls are like vermin, their intention from the moment of signing up is to be a pest.
Dr Jet Sinister

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:12 pm

as long as someone doesn't try to change my tainted view on Rats.....I suppose.
oneeyeddick

Postby Risky » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:18 pm

Isotopia wrote:The event is being loved to death.

Perfect.
Risky

Postby socks » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:41 pm

So this is where we are now as a community.Burner vs Burner.Great job BM.org for fucking this up.But we have people here on the e playa that outright attack anyone who dares to speak out.This troll shit should stop.As for blame we only need to look to BM.org.They were told by the community well before this happened that it would fail.Did BM.org take ownership of this epic failure hell no.They said too much demand did this (is this taking ownership).

With last year sell out in July this caught the scalpers attention.For the first time they could game Burning man on tickets.Then BM.org just gave it away to the scalpers with the lottery system making it too easy for them to game the system.And they did in a very big way.You think all the tickets went to the newbies think again.So the stage was set for a lottery that would sell out in 1 day giving tickets even more value than ever before.So BM .org was thinking how could we double down on the epic fuck up.They went with changing the rules to the game after it started by taking away the 10,000 tickets that they promised to us in the general sale.Their new plan was to award the tickets to a special group of burners who are far better burners than most.This dashed the last hope most had for any chance for a ticket at all.And if your question is why are we compelled to cast blame you just have not been paying attention.
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence
socks

Postby ygmir » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:00 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:as long as someone doesn't try to change my tainted view on Rats.....I suppose.

rat taint? really OED?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion