Step Question

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Step Question

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:28 am

I didn't get into step so this may be a moot point, and I see the thread relevant to this has been locked. I basically just need to know so I can see if it is worth pursuing step tickets if the queue opens again.

When we registered for tickets we did them in my wifes name who had no intention of attending this year, but we needed her credit card. Since the tickets were to be mailed there was no issue - the family members attending would arrive with tickets in hand so it didn't matter which of us registered.

It has since developed that step is only open to the original registrant. From what I've read, I assume that means I would not be able to pick up the tickets at will call even though we share the same last name and address. Basically if we did manage to get Step tickets the only way we could claim them would be to bring her 2,700 miles to pick them up before she turned around and headed home.

I just wanted to confirm if that is correct so I can plan accordingly.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Re: Step Question

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:36 am

Yes, that's correct.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Eric » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:41 am

Drawingablank wrote:It has since developed that step is only open to the original registrant. From what I've read, I assume that means I would not be able to pick up the tickets at will call even though we share the same last name and address. Basically if we did manage to get Step tickets the only way we could claim them would be to bring her 2,700 miles to pick them up before she turned around and headed home.

Like Fishy said, this is correct. To quote Trilobyte in the thread you mentioned:

Trilobyte wrote:The definitive answer - the tickets are not transferable for any reason. The registrant/ticket purchaser is the only person who may claim them at the box office.

Emphasis mine. People wanted non-transferable tickets, they now have them.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:52 am

No problem, the stated purpose was to prevent scalping and I wasn't quite sure that preventing spouses from sharing a credit card / ticket purchase does anything to further the anti scalper agenda.

However I will abide by that decision and try to make other plans - I did not not ask with the intention of starting another whine thread.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Eric » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:10 pm

I should have emphasized that wasn't pointed at you in general.

This is a question that is suddenly getting asked a lot, and I just want to point out as plainly and strongly as possible that "non-transferable" means literally that.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby snardy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:56 pm

Eric wrote:I should have emphasized that wasn't pointed at you in general.

This is a question that is suddenly getting asked a lot, and I just want to point out as plainly and strongly as possible that "non-transferable" means literally that.

As they should be. The Burners asked and they shall receive. :)
snardy

Postby trilobyte » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:07 pm

Others already answered it, but I'll add that you should keep your eyes/ears open among either campmates or friends - you never know when someone may have a change of their plans. Plus we'll open up the tickets wanted/offered boards once ticket fulfillment happens in June.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Kristine » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:09 pm

Drawingablank: I think your question is understandable and it's coming up a lot not because people aren't listening, but because none of us were strategizing about STEP Registration back when were signing up for The Lottery. We can only handle one set of rules at a time. The rules for STEP were created after the lottery, and they've even changed since they were created. :) That Thing in the Desert is now becoming known as That Ticket Thing in the Desert. That should take the general public's focus off the mythological sex and drugs for a little while at least.

If it's still in your plans to go, keep your eyes open and your ears to the ground. Tickets will become available this summer. I posted on another thread that I've bought tickets, sold them and then had to buy them again elsewhere in the months prior to BM (more than one year) and I know I'm not the only one that's done that. But people will have to be so flexible, especially when traveling far. Hope to see you on the Playa and if not hope you will be somewhere equally fabulous with better porta-potties.
Kristine

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:15 pm

Kristine wrote: That should take the focus off the mythological sex and drugs for a little while at least.

No no! Anything but that!
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion