Send the tickets out early

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Send the tickets out early

Postby Haakon » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:12 pm

OK BM... How about sending out the tickets early? This would give the scalpers a chance to sell their tickets sooner and allow the rest of us to maybe get a ticket cheaper. Common sense tells me that the later the tickets are in peoples hands the more urgent it is going to be to purchase tickets driving up the prices. How about it. You've changed everything else about the ticket process so this should be no big deal. Just my thoughts since my only chance is to buy from a scalper. I have no other choice since I played by the rules and failed. Sadly it has taken me 50 years to figure out nice guys finish last.

Re: Send the tickets out early

Postby ZaphodBurner » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:27 pm

Haakon wrote:OK BM... How about sending out the tickets early? This would give the scalpers a chance to sell their tickets sooner...

I bet they'd LOVE that.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby Stickygreen » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:16 pm

holding tickets till the latest possible date is the most effective way to deal with counterfeit tickets.

i doubt your suggestion will be implemented.

Postby Mosquitopilate » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:21 pm

Give up everyone, you are on your own now that is what the last email said right
Twitter - @BurnPlayaMan E-Mail - Image
Thanks to all that made BM 2012 great. You people are the best on planet earth )'( )'( )'(
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Eric » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:24 pm

1) Until physical tickets are in a participants hands, they can be cancelled for any reason (and specifically for being purchased to resell at a higher price). With a late ticket release date it gives more time to find scalpers and get those tickets back into the community (if you want to report a scalper, send an email to partiserv(at)burningman(dot)com. Sites like StubHub etc are very difficult to track)

2) The earlier they're released, the more time counterfeiters have to make really good fake tickets. With the sell-out last year and tickets sent as they sold, there were some really good fakes out there (also some lousy ones people bought because they were desperate. The current ticket situation is a perfect storm for a flood of fake tickets, the June release gives them less time to be hard to spot. Nothing would suck more than getting to the gate & being turned around for a fake ticket.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:37 pm

Haakon wrote:I have no other choice since I played by the rules and failed. Sadly it has taken me 50 years to figure out nice guys finish last.

I don't know about "nice guys". I do know that no one wants to hang out with someone who who's all hangdog and self-pity. I realize that you're stressed now, that you've spent weeks waiting to buy a ticket, and it's hard to be cheerful and agreeable, but you do have the choice of being honest, of saying (for instance) that you're unhappy about how things turned out and frustrated by the process and just worn out by the whole circus, and people will respect you more than for the melodrama.

And I know this because I was heavy in the melodrama when I was younger. Even I like myself better now.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elorrum » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:39 pm

if you're 50, you probably remember this image. you make me very sad sir.
Hell is only half full. There's room for you and me. Looking for a new fool. Who's it going to be? - Warren Zevon
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket (BDV)

Postby lemur » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:46 pm

Neelix wrote:I wonder what a Vulcan nightmare would be like.

..Alone, exiled on a planet, where the only form of communication is laughter.
Don't link to anything here!
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby BBadger » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:00 pm

No, that's not correct.

- Having tickets in peoples' hands earlier will reduce supply. Price is driven predominantly by scarcity.

- Increasing the time span between purchase and sale of tickets means there is more opportunity for tickets to be exchanged through something like STEP.

- Peoples' plans may change over the next few months and they'll need to get rid of their tickets quickly.

- There is a greater risk in holding a long term asset with no guarantee of payoff, and the risk of cancellation. Imagine, for example, that BMOrg implements a policy that forces "paper" ticket holders of the lottery to choose owners for the tickets much like STEP tickets, or else they can only be released into the STEP pool of tickets. I would not be surprised if this ends up happening given the policy change-ups this year.

The last point, forcing ticket owners to designate owners, could end up being the end-game policy for tickets in coming years, granting the flexibility to "exchange" tickets to some degree for a specific time period before the tickets revert to basic "STEP" type tickets. Of course what happens when the primary ticket owner cannot go, but the "partner" can? That may end up as a loophole in the system.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion