BREAKING NEWS .....BORG fails again

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

BREAKING NEWS .....BORG fails again

Postby nocturnal_steve » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:30 pm

-STEP down.... denial of service attack... "Sorry Will Robinson, it does not compute".

-Jack Rabbit e-mails everyone and says "it's every man for himself now".

Larry Quits....BORG disbands....Norman Paulsen now new CEO of Burning LTD.
(look him up)
Stay hydrated my friend.
nocturnal_steve

Burning Since: 1997

Re: BREAKING NEWS .....BORG fails again

Postby Stickygreen » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:46 pm

I'd say this is a very accurate account of how March the 1st from 12:00 - 12:10 went down..

why would BMorg allow inticketing to handle the first come first serve system, they have demonstrated year after year, they are incapable of managing this system...

oh well!
)'(
Stickygreen

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:57 pm

Did Larry launch a denial of service attack? Who are you trying to blame for that?
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby CapnJoe » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:00 pm

INEPTTICKETING strikes again! :evil:
CapnJoe

Postby Rice » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:00 pm

One rides out a Denial of Service Attack. It is impossible to prevent.

Both the main Burning Man website and Eplaya have been getting attacked for over a day now. I suspect it is a childish response to some goofball not getting a ticket. I thought we were mature adults {snort}
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby wraith » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:20 pm

stretch80 wrote:One rides out a Denial of Service Attack. It is impossible to prevent.

Both the main Burning Man website and Eplaya have been getting attacked for over a day now. I suspect it is a childish response to some goofball not getting a ticket. I thought we were mature adults {snort}

Clearly there's just TOO MUCH DEMAND for the website.
wraith

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Rice » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:14 pm

wraith wrote:
stretch80 wrote:One rides out a Denial of Service Attack. It is impossible to prevent.

Clearly there's just TOO MUCH DEMAND for the website.

I never said that.

I am on eplaya a lot. every day in fact. It has only been slow a couple times in the last 5 years.

I sincerely doubt that 1000% more people are suddenly going to eplaya and the burning man website. The issues I am observing are exactly the same as a denial of service attack on a web server. That is a person, or group of individuals specifically targeting a website and trying to overload it so it will be unavailable to legitimate users.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby pink » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:59 pm

Yeah, I was having a bitch of a time getting on eplaya yesterday, last night and this morning (pre STEP). That might explain it.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby homo ardentum » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:18 pm

Agreed! Eplaya was horribly slow until just after noon PST. Coincidence? Not!
Somebody was stirring the pot and it was NOT a burner!
homo ardentum

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp Carnivore

Postby socks » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:12 pm

Did anyone ever believe that STEP would work.Everything BM.org has said so far has been a lie.I would not trust a word BM.org says on anything.You have giving Burning man a COUP FATAL.BM.org how do you sleep at night knowing how you fucked the community.
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence
socks

Postby ZaphodBurner » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:21 pm

socks wrote:Did anyone ever believe that STEP would work.Everything BM.org has said so far has been a lie.I would not trust a word BM.org says on anything.You have giving Burning man a COUP FATAL.BM.org how do you sleep at night knowing how you fucked the community.

They've succeeded in bringing the community to the playa for so many years?

People are already getting tickets through STEP. Obviously it's not a total failure. I agree with the others that there was a Denial of Service attack, or some equivalent. Normally the symptom would be the same as ten or twenty thousand tech-savvy hipsters trying to access the same web server at the same time, and then freaking out and hitting REFRESH as fast as their network connection can handle it. BUT, the e-playa went down simultaneously.

THAT suggests something a little more deliberate. DOS attacks are fairly easy to track back to a source but, of course, the damage is already done, and all the internet provider who hosted the DOS attack is going to do is shut down that person's internet account, which was probably hacked or hijacked anyway.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby EspressoDude » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:36 pm

the Golden Gate Bridge and Bay Bridge cannot handle all the traffic to BMORG ORIFICE....
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby Canoe » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:08 pm

Ah. A DOS. I was wondering what was up with difficulties seeing the site.

As to STEP. So far, it works, as it as intended. It accepted "tickets" from people no longer requiring them, and redistributed them. So, going forward, it can serve to redistribute tickets.
What it can't do, and was never intended to do, is to magically create tickets that don't exist, but you read that...
Highway to Hell. Stairway to Heaven.Traffic prediction?
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby Geosomin » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:37 am

I'm hoping STEP works out as intended.
I just had to post to say loudly and vigorously - cancelling the open sale on tickets is a really shady thing to do.
I get why they did it and I can understand it to a point, but to change things half way through? To promise us that we still had an open sale to try at and then change things to remove ALL 10000 tickets? ALL of them? REALLY?
I know i might not get a ticket. I can deal with that. But the changing up of things on the fly does not give me confidence in the people in charge. For all I know they will change the STEP program and I will be out of luck there too. Don't get me wrong -I am glad I was one of the lucky ones to make it into the STEP program, but it's pretty hard to plan to get to the playa from another country as part of a camp when it just plain might not happen. Coming from another country to this isn't just a "whim"...we're pouring in effort and time. I still will even if I can't go, but I have to say...changing the rules half way through is dissapointing.
It is disheartening when people go back on their word.
Geosomin

Postby ZaphodBurner » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:28 pm

Geosomin wrote:I know i might not get a ticket. I can deal with that. But the changing up of things on the fly does not give me confidence in the people in charge.

But it gives the collaborative artists who typically start working half a year in advance the confidence to keep going.

Geosomin wrote: Coming from another country to this isn't just a "whim"...we're pouring in effort and time. I still will even if I can't go, but I have to say...changing the rules half way through is dissapointing. It is disheartening when people go back on their word.

Building a public viewing structure (and taking legal responsibility for when some drunktard falls of hurts himself) isn't just a whim either. Our group is investing several thousand dollars just for the trailer to haul the structure, water, mutant vehicle and art there and we're just one of hundreds. That is, I think, what people take for granted. Four women in Portland are trying to bring a 40' dragon, and they will, if they can get the tickets. Or, there could be four individuals standing where a 40' dragon might have been.
You can see four individuals standing around banging on a drum or a guitar at any Occupy protest. Iron dragons built by a team of burner hotties, not so much.

Having said all that, and because of it, I -totally- get your ongoing frustration, and the uncertainty on top of it. I don't mean to invalidate your feelings. The course correction they made was brutal and unfair to many, but I truly believe it had to be done to save the character of the city. Hang in there!
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:57 pm

ZaphodBurner wrote:You can see four individuals standing around banging on a drum or a guitar at any Occupy protest. Iron dragons built by a team of burner hotties, not so much.

Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:21 pm

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BBadger » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:14 pm

They are enemies of computing-kind!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby Rice » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:44 pm

they?
Love Rice

Rice

Postby radical-inclusion » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:01 pm

I guarantee Burning man will suck this year....mark my words!

All thanks to the stupidity of Borg
radical-inclusion

Postby ranger magnum » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:08 pm

radical-inclusion wrote:I guarantee Burning man will suck this year....mark my words!

All thanks to the stupidity of Borg

No way. Different possibly, but will definitely will not suck.
Praise the Lowered
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Postby radical-inclusion » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:19 pm

I could buy 20 tickets right now for 20,000 bucks but why would i want to hang out with 1o,ooo camp counselors and 40,000 ravers?
radical-inclusion

Postby Eric » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:50 pm

radical-inclusion wrote:I could buy 20 tickets right now for 20,000 bucks but why would i want to hang out with 1o,ooo camp counselors and 40,000 ravers?

So the name "radical-inclusion" is meant to be ironic then?
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby BBadger » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:06 pm

Eric wrote:
radical-inclusion wrote:I could buy 20 tickets right now for 20,000 bucks but why would i want to hang out with 1o,ooo camp counselors and 40,000 ravers?

So the name "radical-inclusion" is meant to be ironic then?

I don't know how someone can mistype "de" with "inc". It seems to be common among self-purported "burners."
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion