Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Postby misterdj » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:35 pm

Biglilburner wrote:Hi everyone!!

I received my confirmation at 12:05 and received notification today at 9:20am! Wishing all of you the very best in getting your tickets!!!

<3

-Kerry

Awesome!

I just hope that STEP can help alleviate some of the disappointment and stress of the lottery.
misterdj

Postby maryanimal » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:48 pm

Huzzah for everyone getting a STEP ticket! I'm joining the "tickets will be pouring in here in June" group! So stay positive everyone!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:50 pm

I have to admit that it's encouraging to see more and more tickets be funneled through STEP. I'm assuming that if they weren't continuing to trickle in, then we wouldn't see this steady report of success and moving chronologically through the email time stamps.

Trilo question: Can we use a card that doesn't have our name on it to purchase tickets if offered?

You never know what the daily/weekly financial situation may be and it would suck to be stuck without the means to act if offered the opportunity..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby omidia » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:17 pm

Can someone let us know what email address are the ticket offers coming from?!?

Knowing that would mean I can stop checking my spam folders, etc... With such paranoid thoroughness!!! :-)

Thanks!!
omidia

Postby misterdj » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:23 pm

omidia wrote:Can someone let us know what email address are the ticket offers coming from?!?

Knowing that would mean I can stop checking my spam folders, etc... With such paranoid thoroughness!!! :-)

Thanks!!

orders@burningman.com

:wink:
misterdj

Postby danibel » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:59 pm

My heart is getting lighter and lighter with each post of someone getting a ticket in the STEP.

Yay!! Keep em comin'!
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby homo ardentum » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:17 pm

Right on! 12:05 getting tix means they are still coming in...and that's awesome!
homo ardentum

Postby omidia » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:18 pm

And I got my confirmation at (ugh) 12:17... :-(
omidia

Postby Astrochuppa » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:08 pm

Every email I have recieved from Burning Man has come through fine.
Nothing has ever been rejected or gone to the spam folder.

Why am I suddenly putting "burningman.com" into the Spam exceptions list, and frantically checking the Spam folder, worried that my ticket email might get caught up? :P
Astrochuppa

Postby OldSoulYoungBody » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:36 pm

jewstar wrote:Hey guys,
Congrats to those who got through. I am a bit of a math nerd and though i might try and figure out what everone's place in line was. Please post the time you recieved the email confirmation.
To those who didn't get through. Keep your spirits up, you will find a way to the playa.
Edit: Im getting most of the data of eplaya, so if you already posted there, dont post again
Edit2: So i have 75 responses. ill update it again if i get more data. Remember people requested 1.7 each.
There is an emerging pattern. It looks like there were four periods of time when most people made it in. min 1-3. min 7-10. min 14-22. and min 28-29. No one got through during the two major server crashes between 12-13 or 23-27.
If I have a truly random sample. (I don't.) Your ESTIMATED place in line is
(email received on 12:XX)
(01) 1-80 (everyone already has tickets)
(02) 81-187 (everyone already has tickets)
(03) 188-267 (everyone already has tickets)
(04)
(05) 268-293 (some have tickets)
(06)
(07) 294-400
(08) 401-507
(09) 508-640
(10) 641-773
(11) 774-800
(12)
(13)
(14) 801-907
(15) 908-987
(16) 988-1120
(17) 1120-1360
(18) 1361-1387
(19) 1388-1467
(20) 1468-1520
(21) 1521-1733
(22) 1734-1813
(23)
(24)
(25)
(26)
(27)
(28) 1814-1973
(29) 1973-2000

From a post by jewstar on Reddit. I thought you all might find it interesting
"Every man dies, but not every man really lives"
OldSoulYoungBody

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:39 pm

Has been posted twice already but mahalos for the thought.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:46 pm

Woo-hoo! I'm the war of 1812!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby OldSoulYoungBody » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:48 pm

Ohhhh haha, well good!
"Every man dies, but not every man really lives"
OldSoulYoungBody

Postby BirthChazz » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:17 pm

gyre wrote:
BirthChazz wrote:
homo ardentum wrote:The clock is ticking down to the opening of the STEP ticket sale and we are just minutes away. Tell us when you get in the queue, and better yet, SCREAM when you get tickets! Good luck…

YIIIIIPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

I have a ticket to Burning Man through step. In the STEP line at 12:03, received offer this morning at 1030 for $420.00, plus fees.

Many, many thanks to everyone who turned tickets into STEP. I am thrilled to attend.

(You know when teenage girls win tickets to a rock concert on the radio, and they are really annoying, you just want to smack them- "why cant they be more dignified?" My head is screaming like a teenage girl. super excited!!! no dignity. feels good.)

I'm glad you got a ticket.

I anticipate you doing something highly inappropriate, perhaps even forbidden.

I hope I'm there to see it.

It is nice to be remembered from the introduce yourself thread :-) This is my year of YES. I used to turn down things that scared me, even if I wanted to do them. Now I say yes, and take a deep breath, and shoulder some risk. It has made my life very full this year. Burning Man is part of that- "say yes" plan. It has given me so much joy, and many new friends- I hope that continues.

Chazz
“How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.” George Washington Carver
BirthChazz

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Valhalla

Postby Arcticcircle » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:35 am

This 12:05er just got a ticket!!! Offer came in at 10:20am PST. I'm SO EXCITED GIANT PILEDRIVER HUGS ALL AROUND WWOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Arcticcircle

Postby Arcticcircle » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:37 am

Sorry for the exclamation point abuse. What a relief, though, after a longggg and stressful process. Thrilled. :)
Arcticcircle

Postby Savannah » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:43 am

Congratulations, Articcircle. :D
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby mama g » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:50 pm

is it safe to assume we'll see a little uptick in the influx of STEP tickets in the next week or two, as the theme camp tickets are distributed? or is there a fallacy in my logic? congratulations to all of you guys who've gotten tickets! hope to be joining your ranks soon...
mama g

Postby Eric » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:13 pm

mama g wrote:is it safe to assume we'll see a little uptick in the influx of STEP tickets in the next week or two, as the theme camp tickets are distributed? or is there a fallacy in my logic? congratulations to all of you guys who've gotten tickets! hope to be joining your ranks soon...

I would caution about any assumptions with STEP. It's a brand new program and there is absolutely no way to guess how it will work out.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst. Just like on the playa.

Much congrats to everyone who's gotten a ticket- there's hope for more happy Burners!
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Kristine » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:16 pm

I think STEP only getting 200 tickets to start AND the cut-off of signups at 2000 sent the message to the community that there aren't going to be anymore major chances for ticket purchases. So I'm guessing people who know they aren't part of the juried direct ticket distribution are starting to make their decisions now. I know groups in my area who are already changing plans and thinking of other travel or things to do the event week, but they were holding out for STEP. I doubt any of the major theme camps/performance groups will bail as they will probably all be able to procure more tickets than they have now but not as many as they want or have needed in the past, not a great set-up but workable. The international travelers really do need to know their ticket situation sooner rather than later and that's who I think will be most likely to sell back to STEP in the next few weeks.

I've bought and sold and then bought again tickets in past years, so I know that the tickets and Burners are dynamic!
Kristine

Postby usurpedus » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:28 pm

congrats to another 12:05er getting a ticket!
usurpedus

Postby mama g » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:40 pm

I am getting the feeling from the replies that I should rephrase my question-I'm testing my understanding of how the system is intended to work. as the directed distribution tickets are given out, the people who are in these theme camps, collectives, etc will have their STEP orders canceled (or be taken off the want list if they are still waiting) because their ticket needs would be fulfilled, right? and therefore, in theory, those STEP tickets would be put back in the pool? :?
mama g

Postby Eric » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:00 pm

mama g wrote:{snip} and therefore, in theory, those STEP tickets would be put back in the pool? :?

It wouldn't put any tickets back in the pool. All it would do is make less people waiting to get one.

STEP is two separate sections- a "have tickets" and a "want tickets" section.

The "have" section is what people who currently have tickets contribute to (ie: they have "extra" or un-needed tickets & they're using STEP to redistribute them)- it has no connection to how many people want them.

The "want" section is people waiting for tickets to be contributed. If someone is removed from the "want" pool for any reason (got a ticket, declined a ticket, received a ticket some other way, etc) it does not increase the amount of tickets available, it just lessens the number of people waiting for one.

STEP will help some people (see the posts above), but I wouldn't only rely on it.

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby Arcticcircle » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:04 pm

mama g wrote:I am getting the feeling from the replies that I should rephrase my question-I'm testing my understanding of how the system is intended to work. as the directed distribution tickets are given out, the people who are in these theme camps, collectives, etc will have their STEP orders canceled (or be taken off the want list if they are still waiting) because their ticket needs would be fulfilled, right? and therefore, in theory, those STEP tickets would be put back in the pool? :?

I'd *guess* that the theme camp distribution is irrelevant to the STEP process, because theme camps won't see enough tickets to cover their members, even with the influx of new tix.

But on the bright side, if I did happen across another ticket or can't go to the event, I'd be turning my STEP ticket right back where it came from and another waitlister would get it. The fact that STEP tickets are always STEP tickets is a great facet of the program, IMO.
Arcticcircle

Postby Kristine » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:19 pm

I am assuming the directed ticket distribution is for regular transferable tickets? If so, no one is going to cancel their STEP placement if they get one of those tickets. Especially if they have early entry passes and will be able to weather the dreaded Will Call more easily. At least we hope!

So they get a non-transferable ticket and they get one as part of a theme camp. They'll sell or gift the one that is transferable. That's how it's worked every summer with the groups I've been with. We buy tickets in Feb and then when the "gift" tickets for our participation in this that or the other project arrive in July or August (there have been LOTS of gift tickets from the org in the past), we keep those and sell or gift the ones we bought. If you've never seen a BM gift ticket, it says "Gift" where the price should be. We'd never try to sell that one. The theme camps are trying to get the opportunity for their participants without tickets to buy them. They aren't required to name those participants, are they?
Kristine

Postby International Incident » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:41 pm

Kristine wrote:I am assuming the directed ticket distribution is for regular transferable tickets? If so, no one is going to cancel their STEP placement if they get one of those tickets. Especially if they have early entry passes and will be able to weather the dreaded Will Call more easily. At least we hope!

So they get a non-transferable ticket and they get one as part of a theme camp. They'll sell or gift the one that is transferable. That's how it's worked every summer with the groups I've been with. We buy tickets in Feb and then when the "gift" tickets for our participation in this that or the other project arrive in July or August (there have been LOTS of gift tickets from the org in the past), we keep those and sell or gift the ones we bought. If you've never seen a BM gift ticket, it says "Gift" where the price should be. We'd never try to sell that one. The theme camps are trying to get the opportunity for their participants without tickets to buy them. They aren't required to name those participants, are they?

I think you'll find that they will be identity based and not transferable.

Griping about tickets does not belong in this thread. Take your whine elsewhere please.
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby Eric » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:01 pm

Kristine wrote:I am assuming the directed ticket distribution is for regular transferable tickets? [snip]
So they get a non-transferable ticket and they get one as part of a theme camp. They'll sell or gift the one that is transferable

Your assumption is incorrect. From the Ticket FAQ:

Q: Who can BUY tickets through STEP?
A: Only people who registered for the Pre-Sale or Main Sale but did not receive tickets are eligible to purchase tickets through this program. If you have bought a ticket through any other means you are ineligible to use STEP.

My understanding is that all tickets awarded to theme camps, volunteers, etc will be Will Call with the same stipulations as STEP. I will try to get this clarified.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby mama g » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:10 pm

thanks, eric, this is essentially what i was getting at in the first place. my apologies for not being able to express myself clearly. :oops: SO, if you were already awarded a STEP ticket, and then you and your theme camp find you are being awarded directed distribution tickets, you use those to get into burning man. your STEP ticket is cancelled, and that ticket goes back into the STEP pool to be awarded to someone else.
mama g

Postby Kristine » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:48 pm

I don't have the same understanding. Do we know for sure that theme camps participants are having to buy non-transferable tickets? Say 50 of the tickets already sold in STEP went to people who will participate in a theme camp. So the theme camp doesn't need a ticket for that person anymore, so won't it ask to be able buy the same number, but for other participants in its camp? Are the theme camps being asked to submit names for purchase in direct distribution?

Does anybody know for sure if there are there really going to be 10000 more identity based, non-transferable tickets in addition to the low income tix and STEP tix?
Kristine

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:56 pm

I remember that theme camp leaders were to give the llc a list of people's actual names and other information. From that I inferred that these tickets would be associated with particular people. I'm not sure that I ever saw it written out that way, however.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion