Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Postby Jenifersteppat » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:51 pm

Whew! Relieved and happpy for everyone getting good news after the great weekend freakout/letdown, WOOHOOO!
No matter where you go, there you are.
Jenifersteppat

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Rhythmic » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:53 pm

Unfortunately there is no good news for me.
I contacted ticketing because of the mess up with the system (time stamp 12:18:20). I received my original message Thursday morning. I received a reply from ticketing stating that I already had been sent a ticket and that my order was cancelled.
It is true that I received a message on Friday that I had been sent a ticket that I purchased in March through a theme camp. The problem is that I have requested 2 tickets from STEP not one. The rules of our camp is that if you get a STEP ticket, then you are to return the other ticket to the camp, I sent another email to ticketing explaing the situation and have heard nothing since. I went to the link about 30 minutes ago and it says that my ticket has expired or has already been used. So much for self reliance! BMORG has taken away my right to choose.
At this point, I am just tired of all of the energy spent trying to be self reliant when the organization has, on many occassions, prevented me from doing so. I informed them that I followed the rules that THEY set up. I have even read about others in the same situation getting their chance in recent months. I think it must the the coincidence of me sending an email and my 1 ticket just being mailed that had this person (I do not know who they were, but the message was short and a bit rude). I know people might think that I am lucky to have a ticket and shouldn't be complaining, but it's the principle. Those who bought in December were able to buy 4 (remember that).
Anyway, the good news is, I still should be getting my ticket very soon, but I will not be able to make someone else happy with the other ticket. I know I can still keep looking elsewhere, but I think I need to put this ticket search behind me. Time to focus on getting myself and my things ready. It's still going to be a good burn and I will still continue to participate now and on the playa. I just wanted to share this publicly so anyone waiting like I was, can prepare (just in case).

I look forward to greeting you at the gate or seeing you inside the house :)

Rhythmic
Rhythmic

Postby Ratty » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:04 pm

Rhythmic, there have been soooo many frustrations this year. Obstacles that you had to go on a waiting list just to get your turn at frustration. If you end up with ONE ticket, be happy. Everyone is learning flexibility and implementing plan B, C, D etc... I'm just glad step is working for so many people.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG
Ratty

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Sporks are For Pussys

Postby pwornama » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:22 pm

I believe in the timestamp and for what it is worth I believe the signs do not point to all 1000 being released last Sunday. The math does not seem to add up. Believe in the timestamp. I hope tickets come to all of you one way or another.
pwornama

Burning Since: 2011

Postby chica63 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:12 pm

Oh wow! SO many people getting their tickets today!! Congrats everyone!
I've been sick and not keeping up so it's nice to come back and see so many !!!!!!s
\o/ happy truk
Dreamers have all the fun.
chica63

Postby Eric » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:15 am

pwornama wrote:I believe in the timestamp and for what it is worth I believe the signs do not point to all 1000 being released last Sunday. The math does not seem to add up. Believe in the timestamp. I hope tickets come to all of you one way or another.

In all honestly, Trilo is at BMHQ at least once a week, and is the admin for the ePlaya. He hasn't given out false information in the past, and if he doesn't start it "my guess is", I for one take it as solid information- much more solid than pure speculative "math" based on guesswork. If he says that they've all been released, they've all been released. Just remember a ticket that doesn't get purchased in the first wave still sits for 72 hours, then it goes into the second wave where it can sit for another 72 hours, then the 3rd wave, and so on. Not everyone is buying the tickets offered, but they still have to sit for the 72 hour window each time.

Sorry to toss a dose of reality into the picture, but it needs to be there. The flip side is that a friend of mine just found out a few days ago that he's able to attend this year but didn't have a ticket. Using his network of friends he was able to find a second-tier one today. There are more tickets becoming available in the community so don't give up hope yet, just don't only rely on STEP.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby confused » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:53 am

I was offered 2 tickets today @ 390 (12:18:48). Don't need them so they'll go back into STEP.

The timestamps are categorically an accurate means of attaining the order.

Forget the +-5 minutes nonsense. I bet the next person who posts of here is a 12:18.
confused

Postby attemptress » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:25 am

my friend that I'm traveling with went back and forth on whether she was coming at all. decided no. then a week later, got the weirdo email you all seem to be discussing. got REALLY bummed because she decided it was a sign that she should go. a few days pass and she clicks on the link and is able to acquire a STEP ticket. Weird?? anyway. She's coming.
attemptress

Postby Doctor Pancakes » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:09 pm

attemptress wrote:my friend that I'm traveling with went back and forth on whether she was coming at all. decided no. then a week later, got the weirdo email you all seem to be discussing. got REALLY bummed because she decided it was a sign that she should go. a few days pass and she clicks on the link and is able to acquire a STEP ticket. Weird?? anyway. She's coming.

Love that BM Magik!
You can trust me; I'm a doctor.
Doctor Pancakes

Postby ridingnitro » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:46 pm

Were were offered our STEP tickets Sunday morning around 9 AM eastern time, original timestamp was 12:18:58. We only need one, so the other will be going back into STEP as soon as possible...
ridingnitro

Camp Name: neXus

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:46 pm

Doctor Pancakes wrote:
attemptress wrote:my friend that I'm traveling with went back and forth on whether she was coming at all. decided no. then a week later, got the weirdo email you all seem to be discussing. got REALLY bummed because she decided it was a sign that she should go. a few days pass and she clicks on the link and is able to acquire a STEP ticket. Weird?? anyway. She's coming.

Love that BM Magik!

*Hums: that old bmack magic...*
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby moonwatcher » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:42 pm

Eric wrote:
pwornama wrote:I believe in the timestamp and for what it is worth I believe the signs do not point to all 1000 being released last Sunday. The math does not seem to add up. Believe in the timestamp. I hope tickets come to all of you one way or another.

In all honestly, Trilo is at BMHQ at least once a week, and is the admin for the ePlaya. He hasn't given out false information in the past, and if he doesn't start it "my guess is", I for one take it as solid information- much more solid than pure speculative "math" based on guesswork. If he says that they've all been released, they've all been released. Just remember a ticket that doesn't get purchased in the first wave still sits for 72 hours, then it goes into the second wave where it can sit for another 72 hours, then the 3rd wave, and so on. Not everyone is buying the tickets offered, but they still have to sit for the 72 hour window each time.

Sorry to toss a dose of reality into the picture, but it needs to be there. The flip side is that a friend of mine just found out a few days ago that he's able to attend this year but didn't have a ticket. Using his network of friends he was able to find a second-tier one today. There are more tickets becoming available in the community so don't give up hope yet, just don't only rely on STEP.

I agree with you, Eric.
When I saw Trilo's post yesterday, that pretty much sealed it for me. Considering that I'm at 12:21, it is doubtful that STEP will ever get to me.
So I guess it is now time for plans E, F and G (plan A = lottery, B = STEP, C = network local burners/attend local burner events, D = posting requests on CL).

The reality now is that, apart from the upcoming 1000-tickets sale, BMORG has pretty much lost control of the distribution of BM tickets. I see a number of tickets starting to surface on e-Playa and other sites. And there seems to be quite a few tickets available for re-sale. There are the occasional outlandish scalper-level prices ($1000+), but there are also many tickets available for an "acceptable" premium (your definition of "acceptable" may vary). There is a guy on eBay offering 8 (EIGHT) tickets - very probably someone who multi-registered for the lottery (I don't believe his explanation: "his entire camp decided not to go" - yeah, right). Probably a scalper: he wants $1000/ticket. No way we are talking abour real burners here.

Realistically, many Burners or Virgins left out by the lottery, stuck in STEP and without strong links to existing camps or Burners groups, will have to turn to people looking to unload their tickets - either because they changed their plans, or never intended to go. The remaining challenge is to find "ethical tickets": near face-value with maybe a reasonable "service fee".

Finally, a word of thanks to our wonderful moderators: Savannah, Eric and Trilo - for helping us stay sane. :D
Buy the ticket, take the ride!
moonwatcher

Camp Name: The Dusty Beavers

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:46 pm

Thank you, Moonwatcher. I fervently hope to see you & yours on the playa.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby fritz » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:16 pm

moonwatcher wrote:Considering that I'm at 12:21, it is doubtful that STEP will ever get to me.

Don't give up hope moonwatcher! Obviously you should look at all possible avenues for tickets, but there is still enougth time for STEP to get to you. My guess is that waves of ticket offers will keep coming every 72 hours in the wake of the 1000 ticket dump. Also, I would not be surprised if a bunch of people that have bought through STEP or that are on the will-call list are waiting until the last minute to truly make their commitment to the burn. I bet a bunch of people back out at the end of this month. Keep the faith and you will make it to the playa!

Congrats to those receiving STEP tickets!
fritz

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Tanzremix » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:17 pm

moonwatcher wrote:
I agree with you, Eric.
When I saw Trilo's post yesterday, that pretty much sealed it for me. Considering that I'm at 12:21, it is doubtful that STEP will ever get to me.
So I guess it is now time for plans E, F and G (plan A = lottery, B = STEP, C = network local burners/attend local burner events, D = posting requests on CL).
Realistically, many Burners or Virgins left out by the lottery, stuck in STEP and without strong links to existing camps or Burners groups, will have to turn to people looking to unload their tickets - either because they changed their plans, or never intended to go. The remaining challenge is to find "ethical tickets": near face-value with maybe a reasonable "service fee".

Finally, a word of thanks to our wonderful moderators: Savannah, Eric and Trilo - for helping us stay sane. :D

I'm entirely with you. My latest line of reasoning is something like "well, if I calculate the time value of money, and the fact that people paid up six months ago (even though interest rates are low) I can justify spending a little more than face. I turned down two $500 tickets from CL this weekend and am already beginning to regret it. Another week or two and $600-650 on StubHub is what is going to happen. I know it flies in the face of the burner ethos but I don't care: the lies ("only 2k" in STEP, for one...pretty much a fucking travesty), misinformation, and general lack of systematic control discredited that portion of the belief set months ago IMO. I have zero reason to put my faith in a broken system, bmorg got theirs with this new ticket system, now I need to be radically self reliant and get mine too.

Tickets are becoming slightly more available, StubHub prices have gone down ~40% in the last week or two, and may continue to do so going forward (which has also been my experience in heavily scalped concerts and such in the past), but this is too big a thing to leave up to chance. In my 100 member camp one ticket has been offered up in the past two months, only one. I cannot and will not count on tickets becoming available through the community going forward.

I'm happy for all those who have their tickets and who got STEP tickets. This fiasco is not their fault and has nothing to do with them, and I'm looking forward to seeing all of them out on the playa,
Tanzremix

Postby VultureChow » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:20 pm

I've been positively stalking anyone who posts tickets for sale near me. I've got mine, but so many eplayans need theirs. I've got my hopes set on two from this guy who lives two miles from me. Posted with above market price on Ebay. Called him on his bs by offering to buy the tickets at face, plus some of his "gear" that he already bought which is why he was scalping them. To recoup his investment. IF they don't sell by Aug 1st, he said he'd contact me.
Last edited by VultureChow on Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby moonwatcher » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:33 pm

fritz wrote:
moonwatcher wrote:Considering that I'm at 12:21, it is doubtful that STEP will ever get to me.

Don't give up hope moonwatcher! Obviously you should look at all possible avenues for tickets, but there is still enougth time for STEP to get to you. My guess is that waves of ticket offers will keep coming every 72 hours in the wake of the 1000 ticket dump. Also, I would not be surprised if a bunch of people that have bought through STEP or that are on the will-call list are waiting until the last minute to truly make their commitment to the burn. I bet a bunch of people back out at the end of this month. Keep the faith and you will make it to the playa!

Thanks Fritz!!!
I am not giving up hope. But it is time to use a different strategy. Basically, I can't wait too much longer to KNOW if I can go or not. I have a client deliverable due end of August/early Sept...I need to make plans to adjust my schedule and make arrangements with the client. Plus, this deliverable involves international travel - airline reservations to make. Plus, there is the long list of items to get, preparations to make. If I wait too much longer, the door will close on me by itself.

You can be sure that if I find a ticket by other means, and if STEP finally makes an offer, I will let it lapse for the benefit of the next person in line.
moonwatcher

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:54 pm

STEPPERS!

If you no longer need your STEP ticket, and receive the STEP email, click the link and proactively decline the ticket. That releases the ticket in sooner than 72 hours to the next grateful STEPkid, who would thank you personally if they could. You know it!
Savannah

Postby moonwatcher » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:59 pm

Savannah wrote:STEPPERS!

If you no longer need your STEP ticket, and receive the STEP email, click the link and proactively decline the ticket. That releases the ticket in sooner than 72 hours to the next grateful STEPkid, who would thank you personally if they could. You know it!

Thanks Savannah for the info.
Having never received a STEP offer, I did not know there was such a link. I seem to remember some posters saying there was no option other than waiting 72 hours.
So, this is timely info. Thanks again.
moonwatcher

Postby moonwatcher » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:08 pm

Tanzremix wrote:I'm entirely with you. My latest line of reasoning is something like "well, if I calculate the time value of money, and the fact that people paid up six months ago (even though interest rates are low) I can justify spending a little more than face. I turned down two $500 tickets from CL this weekend and am already beginning to regret it. Another week or two and $600-650 on StubHub is what is going to happen.

I'm happy for all those who have their tickets and who got STEP tickets. This fiasco is not their fault and has nothing to do with them, and I'm looking forward to seeing all of them out on the playa,

I just started a new thread on what constitute an "ethical ticket", fair price and all.
Look for: "Ethical tickets: what is a fair markup for re-sale tickets?" (not sure how to post a direct link, sorry)

I also want to add my voice to Tanzremix and say that I am very happy for all the STEPPERS who finally got their ticket(s). Hope to see you all on the Playa!
moonwatcher

Postby Arnoldo » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:29 pm

I see dust in all our futures...
Peace full anarchy in a place called crazy...
Arnoldo

Postby slapntickle » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:38 pm

Just wanted to chime in- posted early sunday morning on this forum regarding bogus email that turned out to be legit. original timestamp was 12:28 according to gmail, but god knows when she sent it...
Anyhoo, after lurking on the STEP board for months, patiently waiting (seriously, not bitching and moaning) and recently had to tell all my friends within the last two weeks that I was resigned to not joining them this year in order to make the experience possible for someone who hadn't had an opportunity yet, I am not happy to say I WILL SEE ALL OF YOU LOVELY PEOPLE IN THE DUST! Much love!!

Cheers,

P Tricky

.... OH goodness! Now I have all sorts of other dilemnas in my near future.. Whatever shall I wear?... oh goodness..
slapntickle

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: yes

Postby happy truk » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:41 pm

Thank you Savannah, calirobert, Jenifersteppat, and chica63

Savannah - I hope that your friends also obtain tickets so they can join you on the playa.

moonwatcher - I’m rooting for you!
happy truk

Burning Since: 2010

Postby pink » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:45 pm

I haven't seen Vargaso come back in saying he bought tix after he said the link had the error. Hopefully he's been on here and finds out the link is good before his tix expire!
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby kiss-o-matic » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:15 am

attemptress wrote:anyway. She's coming.

That's what she said.
kiss-o-matic

Postby Bounce530 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:44 am

I received a second STEP notification today. So there will be two more available soon.
Still waiting on my shipping notification though.
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Postby MacGlenver » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:03 pm

1 friend got his STEP offer a week ago, and another got her STEP offer today. I'm sorry but I don't know their timestamps.
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby Grokstar » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:23 pm

MacGlenver wrote:1 friend got his STEP offer a week ago, and another got her STEP offer today. I'm sorry but I don't know their timestamps.

Thanks MacGlenver,
Every tidbit of news helps. The slowness of the ticket trickle is frustrating.

I'm still whining that no one in ticketing or admin will tell us how many of the original 2000 remain in line. What is the purpose of withholding
this easily obtainable information?

I'm going outside to fluff up my tent and breath in some dust.

Have a wonderful Wednesday fellow STEP children.....and thanks to the non-steppers and STEP ticket holders who come on here to offer
information and support.
Grokstar

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Three Chord Camp

Postby Bounce530 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:29 pm

Savannah wrote:STEPPERS!

I don't see a button to do that. All I have is a capcha code and a "checkout" button.
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:41 pm

Checking on that now (I don't have a way of accessing the page from my machine).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion