Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Postby vargaso » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:59 pm

lucky one wrote:I was just able to purchase 2 tickets at $390 through STEP. I received the false notification early Sunday morning that I could purchase. but of course that was false - at that time. anyway, just went and checked the link again, and now it worked. original time stamp 12:18:50. although, I realize that means nothing. 8)

HA! You post caused me to check once again. My link is now working too. So, it's pretty obvious there was a "glitch". I'd say everyone who got the STEP email should check their link again, inTicketing appears to have fixed it.
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby moonwatcher » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:01 pm

Eric wrote:
vargaso wrote:I'm sure they and the goddamn inTicketing are scrambling to fix it. I honestly can't see giving inTicketing another chance next year.

It doesn't matter how me we think inTicketing screws up every year, year after year, it matters what the Board thinks; for some reason they like inTicketing and keep sticking with them ("supporting a Burner business" etc). With all the seat-of-the-pants thinking around ticket sales this year I sadly have the feeling they're going to be more lenient in their thinking towards inTicketing, not less.

In any other organization, serial foul-ups such as we have seen in ticketing would lead to job re-assignments. But Burning Man is not any other organization, you are right. Supporting a Burner business is a fine idea.

That being said, I hope the Board will consider the many impacts of the ticketing foul-ups on the **entire** Burner community. The main sale (lottery) was a fiasco - mostly because it permitted multiple registrations - that threatened many camps and art orgs. Dealing with popularity and ticket scarcity is one thing but "artificially" creating a scramble for tickets and leaving too many burners to wonder whether they'll find a ticket until it is too late, leaving everyone in the dark on top of that, is simply not a good thing for the community. This year, the org lost control on the distribution of tickets - that was replaced by individual burners and/or camps distributing tickets within their network.

Creating a fair, predictable and stable ticket distribution system is not a luxury for the org. I would hope the Board will also consider that.
And I suspect that there are Burners out there who could help and possibly do a better job...
Buy the ticket, take the ride!
moonwatcher

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:11 pm

Yes. There was server testing going on with the ticketing vendor, and after that completed when things got "switched back on" it resulted in a number of false notifications like you had received. Both Burning Man and the ticketing vendor are investigating.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby happy truk » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:11 pm

Yay!

12:18:34 tickets came through - my campmate and I can return to Black Rock City.

I will now be able to delay the effects of Empty Nest Syndrome for another week (our daughter’s first day of college at UC Boulder is August 27).

Thank you to our wonderful Moderators - Savannah, Eric, trilobyte - for keeping the thread on topic, keeping our expectations realistic, and for the positive support.

Now lets clear out the rest of the STEP queue.
happy truk

Burning Since: 2010

Postby moonwatcher » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:14 pm

trilobyte wrote:The STEP queue likely had some number greater than 2000 registrants, as the email sent out back on February 29 stated they had twenty different servers accepting registrations. Plus remember, by very popular request the limit was two tickets per registrant.

1000 tickets were all submitted into STEP last Sunday. Not doled out in tiny batches over the course of several days.

Are you passing along "official" information here, Trilo?
If that is the case, this information has serious consequences for all STEPPERS deep in the queue...

Also, I would think that having 20 servers accepting STEP registrations would be of no importance if all servers wrote to the same database (as it should be). If they didn't write to the same DB, that's a design problem.

Thank you for your work on ePlaya!
Buy the ticket, take the ride!
moonwatcher

Postby Savannah » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:16 pm

I'm happy for you, Happy Truk! :D And thank you.

Here's hoping all those broken links from the weekend are now working. It's pretty heartbreaking to watch it happening. I have friends still waiting for tickets myself.

I know that my empathy + $2.00 will get you a cup of coffee at Denny's, but . . .
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby catsland » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:19 pm

Yaaaaaaaaay!!!!!! The link worked. Wow, I can’t believe we finally got tickets. 2 tickets purchased and confirmed. We get to celebrate my husband’s 60th on the playa, woohoooooooo 12:18:46.
catsland

Postby Savannah » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:20 pm

Woo-hoo, catsland! :D

Savannah

Postby LostinReno » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:23 pm

Huzzah!!! The link works now!! We just got ours too!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
LostinReno

Burning Since: 2009

Postby goldsco » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:31 pm

They Fixed it! Got my ticket! 12:28:33! Such a relief! ohh and Lemur, actually the response I got was My tech dept has fixed this so please try again.
goldsco

Postby vargaso » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:36 pm

My next question would be when does the 72 hour time period begin; from when we received the email on Saturday or from when they fixed the link?
vargaso

Postby Tanzremix » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:36 pm

goldsco wrote:They Fixed it! Got my ticket! 12:28:33! Such a relief! ohh and Lemur, actually the response I got was My tech dept has fixed this so please try again.

12:28 and you got a STEP ticket? Wut?

moonwatcher wrote:Are you passing along "official" information here, Trilo?
If that is the case, this information has serious consequences for all STEPPERS deep in the queue...

Also, I would think that having 20 servers accepting STEP registrations would be of no importance if all servers wrote to the same database (as it should be). If they didn't write to the same DB, that's a design problem.

If it's official its just about StubHub time...
Tanzremix

Postby Savannah » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:39 pm

Yay for LostinReno and Goldsco! :D

Savannah

Postby goldsco » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:47 pm

Tanzremix wrote:
goldsco wrote:They Fixed it! Got my ticket! 12:28:33! Such a relief! ohh and Lemur, actually the response I got was My tech dept has fixed this so please try again.

12:28 and you got a STEP ticket? Wut?

moonwatcher wrote:Are you passing along "official" information here, Trilo?

If it's official its just about StubHub time...

Sorry, ment 12:18:33... was a little excited
goldsco

Postby scott_k » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:50 pm

Congradulations GOLDSCO!! Is 12:28:33 the outgoing timestamp or the recieved timestamp on your confirmation email?

EDIT: Just saw your revision. Thanks!
scott_k

Burning Since: 2011

Postby ZaphodBurner » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:59 pm

Hang in there, folks. In the last two days or so alone, a half-dozen people in the PDX community have said they' unable to go. They probably won't put their tickets into STEP but the people who a buying those tickets (such as friends of ours did) are punching out of STEP which will free more tickets up for the rest of you.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby EmilyD » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:19 pm

So what did we decide was the ethical way to handle a STEP ticket if you've found your own tickets elsewhere but have camp mates who are languishing in a ticket line (didn't even get into STEP but have waited just as long as those who are.) I'd really like to give my camp the extra tickets especially since we're desperately short of actual artcars for ArtCar Camp! (assuming I even get an offer before STEP closes!)
EmilyD

Postby vargaso » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:23 pm

EmilyD wrote:So what did we decide was the ethical way to handle a STEP ticket if you've found your own tickets elsewhere but have camp mates who are languishing in a ticket line (didn't even get into STEP but have waited just as long as those who are.) I'd really like to give my camp the extra tickets especially since we're desperately short of actual artcars for ArtCar Camp! (assuming I even get an offer before STEP closes!)

I don't see anything wrong with that.
vargaso

Postby remi » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:23 pm

vargaso wrote:My next question would be when does the 72 hour time period begin; from when we received the email on Saturday or from when they fixed the link?

Either way, your still in that 72 hr window, so get 'er done!
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:33 pm

EmilyD wrote:So what did we decide was the ethical way to handle a STEP ticket if you've found your own tickets elsewhere but have camp mates who are languishing in a ticket line (didn't even get into STEP but have waited just as long as those who are.) I'd really like to give my camp the extra tickets especially since we're desperately short of actual artcars for ArtCar Camp! (assuming I even get an offer before STEP closes!)

Pass the other tickets you found on to your campmates & take the STEP tickets if they come up. It's no different than if they found them through the local community. There are thousands of Burners who didn't make it into STEP - way more than the number who made it in, I don't think it's "gaming" anything at this point.

The good news is, as ZaphodBurner said, that more people are deciding they can't make it this year (just like every year around this time) so there are tickets being freed up outside of STEP. Just use your normal extreme precautions when buying them.

Lordy, even I'm starting to think we'll get almost all of you out in the dust!
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby calirobert » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:39 pm

:lol: great news happy truk knew you would get your tix
congrats to lucky one, catsland, LostinReno, goldsco
calirobert

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:46 pm

It appears that the situation for some this weekend was not a false notification so much as a FALSE ERROR. I'm waiting for confirmation, but the links sent out over the weekend should all be working correctly. If you saw an error message while responding to a ticket notification email over the weekend, TRY AGAIN NOW! The ticket team is working with the ticket vendor to get things sorted. More as it develops...
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:57 pm

trilobyte wrote:It appears that the situation for some this weekend was not a false notification so much as a FALSE ERROR. I'm waiting for confirmation, but the links sent out over the weekend should all be working correctly. If you saw an error message while responding to a ticket notification email over the weekend, TRY AGAIN NOW! The ticket team is working with the ticket vendor to get things sorted. More as it develops...

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

What about people that have already gone through this and 72 hours have passed? Are they now SOL and out of the STEP queue?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby lucky420 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:59 pm

IT"S WORKING!!! Yay thanks trilo.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby remi » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:00 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
trilobyte wrote:It appears that the situation for some this weekend was not a false notification so much as a FALSE ERROR. I'm waiting for confirmation, but the links sent out over the weekend should all be working correctly. If you saw an error message while responding to a ticket notification email over the weekend, TRY AGAIN NOW! The ticket team is working with the ticket vendor to get things sorted. More as it develops...

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

What about people that have already gone through this and 72 hours have passed? Are they now SOL and out of the STEP queue?

If your not one of those people.. don't ask the question! I think Trilo and the ticket people has enough to worry about without adding hypothetical problems to the mix, (even though there is a pretty good chance that this question may apply to someone.. lol.)
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:47 pm

Bullshit. It's a completely apt question to ask and one that needs clarification ASAP as to avert the hysteria.

If you scan back in the thread, this has been an issue before.. and those incidents were now over 72 hours ago.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby catsland » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:52 pm

Savannah wrote:Woo-hoo, catsland! :D

Thanks, Savannah, Trilo and all of you on this board for helping me stay positive. I sure hope everyone gets a ticket one way or the other. Happy thoughts…
catsland

Postby wandergirl » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:03 pm

friend's formerly error-inducing STEP link from late Saturday worked this afternoon. 12:18:32. our camp is complete!!
★ ☆ ✰ inspiration ✰ ☆ ★
wandergirl

Camp Name: dust & stars

Postby EmilyD » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:15 pm

Thanks for the answers people!
EmilyD

Postby freeeeeman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:25 pm

wandergirl wrote:friend's formerly error-inducing STEP link from late Saturday worked this afternoon. 12:18:32. our camp is complete!!

yay! congrats!
freeeeeman

Camp Name: Dodgeball Addiction

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion