Sick with DISAPPOINTMENT

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Sick with DISAPPOINTMENT

Postby Stephendragonfly » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:00 pm

@ Socks,
I do not believe that it was BMORG's intent to screw over the community. It may have worked out that way, but I think that they had the best of intentions. If they really wanted to screw over the community, they could have just auctioned off blocks of tickets on EBAY and sent them out immediately, or run the whole darned thing through Stubhub. Still, we are a long way from TTITD so a lot could happen. Also, I was under the impression that a lot of the money they have raised is going back into the community through funding of some of the art projects we will see this year.
Stephendragonfly

Location: A planet that is three quarters covered with water, but we call it Earth.

Postby ygmir » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:38 pm

I'd like this thread better, if it used it's dyslexic pseudoname:

Dick, with Sisappointment
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Stephendragonfly » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:52 pm

Dick with sissy pee ointment???
Stephendragonfly

Location: A planet that is three quarters covered with water, but we call it Earth.

Postby BBadger » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:56 pm

socks wrote:OK lets just cut the bullshit about the newbies getting the tickets. First off how do they know.The survey said that it would not be attached to your ticket request.If they are basing this on the survey that's what the ticket scalpers bot was programed to say.

Yes, let's cut that bullshit. Unless these scalpers were purposely trying to manipulate the survey (which would be pointless, and not coordinated), any "scalper cartel" worth its salt would have simply gone to the direct ticket signup page that the survey link provided, bypassing the survey altogether. Even I provided that direct survey-bypass link to friends so they could sign up.

The theme camps said they were awarded only 20 to 25 % of the tickets they needed. These numbers runs true in the group of burner's I know. So who has the tickets?

Gee, I don't know, maybe all those other people you don't personally know?

That line of thought is as moronic as stating: "All the people I know voted for McCain. How the hell did Obama get elected then?!! Where'd all those votes come from?! It must be a voting conspiracy!"

BM.org thinks this lottery was a success.Maid Marion said that in a LA times last Tuesday.It was for BM.org because they made a big payday. They were able to sell 40,000 tickets all in 1 day in which last year it took 7 months to sell out.

Gee, did you protest so loudly when 27,000 tickets were sold in a day or two last year? Or how about all those previous years?

Or did these ticket numbers and prices pass some sort of arbitrary threshold for you?

So they say the demand went up that much in a bad economy. Please.

Sure did! Why else would you see only 25% of ticket fulfillment, even for your small sample set of theme camps and "people you know"? Even if they were bought up by scalpers, guess what? That's demand!

Then again BM.org in their quest for money managed to get 25,000 of the 53,000 tickets sold in the highest tiers 390 and 420.

You mean 15,000 + 3,000 = 18,000?

Gee the term money grubing whores comes to mind.This has caused some real pain for the community and some here on this board just don't care.To me thats the sad part.So was it worth it BM.org to get the money and fuck the community.I hope the money is comforting for you to have torn the community apart.

What is so ridiculous about your delusional conspiracy theory is that you simply don't "get" the fact that the money received by BMOrg is not, and never was the factor that caused so much grief this year.

No, the problems this year have stemmed from the unpredictable nature of whether people would get a ticket at all, at any price. It almost seemed you understood some of the problem earlier in your reply with those references to ticket fulfillment percentages, but unfortunately, you fell back on the ol', lame mainstay of all conspiracy evils: money.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:59 pm

ygmir wrote:I'd like this thread better, if it used it's dyslexic pseudoname:

Dick, with Sisappointment

I am totally down with that too, maybe the moderators could pull some rank and change it for us, seeing as how we are not noobs and all...
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby moonrise » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:22 pm

BBadger wrote: Even I provided that direct survey-bypass link to friends so they could sign up.

I dislike surveys, I wish I had noticed that link. I would've by-passed it too.

It'd be great if you would be so kind as to post the by-passes for all of us in the future BBadger. :)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby BBadger » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:18 am

moonrise wrote:
BBadger wrote: Even I provided that direct survey-bypass link to friends so they could sign up.

I dislike surveys, I wish I had noticed that link. I would've by-passed it too.

It'd be great if you would be so kind as to post the by-passes for all of us in the future BBadger. :)

Haha, I'll have to remember next time.

I wish I had a copy of that survey saved. I'd like to see whether the default choices could've resulted in biased data. For example, some people may have just chose all the first answers in the drop-down boxes in order to quickly get past the survey portion.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:50 am

I think... just my opinion... people will use this as an excuse to not go. They've gone for years, are burners, are burned out but didn't have a way to bow out disgracefully. This gives them the opportunity... when I hear "I've been going for decades, and I didn't get first slot tickets, so I'm not going", hell, they don't WANT to try to go. That's OK, I understand burnout, but don't snivel how unfair the world is... if you wanted to go bad enough, hell, you'd set up camp NE of the closure and do your own burn, right??? If you want to bow out, that's cool too - just say, hey, we decided not to go this year... don't pitch a whiney fit, damnit.

We're not even to the Burnal yet... plenty of time to score tickets. Just might have to work for them a bit harder. :mrgreen:

Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:37 am

this will all be a moot point after the MeteorBlitzKreig(tm).

foolish earthlings, you will Bow to the Moon, soon.
fuck you, it's magic

"i manifest that shit, yo.....Thug Burner for Life"

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby remi » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:48 am

Lets see which burners strive in the face of adversity, and which ones crumple and blame everything and everyone. In the words of a famous mod, "Scarcity is a bitch"
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:59 am

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:I think... just my opinion... people will use this as an excuse to not go. They've gone for years, are burners, are burned out but didn't have a way to bow out disgracefully. This gives them the opportunity...

I so agree. And so many of them want to go out bitter, whereas if they'd just quit a couple of years sooner, they might not have to have sour grape fits all over the board. Or something...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:00 am

I am sick with excitement. Every day is a new day. :)
Ugly Dougly

Postby wraith » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:06 pm

remi wrote:Lets see which burners strive in the face of adversity, and which ones crumple and blame everything and everyone. In the words of a famous mod, "Scarcity is a bitch"

Glad to see the independent spirit of 'Fuck you, I got mine!' is as alive and well among Burners as the conservative right! :D
wraith

Burning Since: 2010

Postby ygmir » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:26 pm

wraith wrote:
remi wrote:Lets see which burners strive in the face of adversity, and which ones crumple and blame everything and everyone. In the words of a famous mod, "Scarcity is a bitch"

Glad to see the independent spirit of 'Fuck you, I got mine!' is as alive and well among Burners as the conservative right! :D

would this imply that "oh, you got one and I didn't, so, you must have cheated, so, I should get one anyway, from the Universe"
is alive and well among other Burners, as the liberal left? :lol:
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Trishntek » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:09 pm

wraith wrote:

Whatever yanks yer crank,,,
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Eric » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:36 pm

Political threads are in Open Discussion.

That's a subtle hint, there's already enough animosity between Burners with the ticket threads staying "roughly" on topic.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby moonrise » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:06 am

For some reason page 2 took some interesting turns.IMHO.

Thanks for the response BBadger. I hung up on a Gallup Poll today, haha, fuck 'em, it was for a bank.

Yea, Simon sometimes they bow (lmao, just joshin' ya's).

Remi, nice hat and welcome! Do you go to lots of festivals? At Burning Man Project, I've never met so many hard nosed working people that I like!
Yes, there are also plenty of easy to like warm hearted ones. I try to be diplomatic when the ticket subject comes up, with either group. Just thinking outloud...

Props to ya' BBS, taking over the reins of Apok and all!
Last year I met two fantastic burners through my online regional list. They stopped going to the burn after 16 years, but they're still actively helping their regional. They told me they're still burners, and help the burn "off playa", but now they go to Yosemite or Hawaii during the burn.
I'm too new to go that route easily, not yet. I do suffer from chronic low back pain, and I know eventually I will have to go that route. Man am I glad I finally went, experienced the BRC desert playa Big Burn and met (many of) you people! Haha! :wink:

If demand has out stripped supply, does anyone think there will be crowds NE of the closure doing their own burns? Is 25 miles the distance they'd have to be and is it close enough for us to see them from the Big Burn and they us? Will BLM allow it? This "timing" would enable many local burners to at least visit with long distance burners, in Reno (or Ferntucky) etc etc, before and after the Big Burn.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby lemur » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:16 am

in 2011 the closure zone ended about 3/4 of a mile to about 1 mile from the northern fence...... of course you probably wouldnt want to cut it that close....... but hey! the BLM put it on the map !

dunno about 2012..
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby drutter » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:23 am

Max Callahan wrote:NO, no everyone, this is what we need.
Sure 161 burners don't get to go...

Claiming there are only 161 people who can't get tickets is going to get you in trouble with the 20000 or so who can't get tickets. Don't minimize our pain, maaaan.
Heavy on preparations, light on expectations.
drutter

Postby trilobyte » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:03 pm

@moonrise - only way to know would be to contact the BLM field office in Winnemucca. If people pay the fees ($50 per person per day) and are taking care to make sure the land is treated right (pack it in, pack it out, etc etc), they may be willing to work with that. If it ends up being a loosely-organized pseudo internet thing and they get concerned about potential impact/enforcement issues they'll likely close other chunks of the desert (as they've done this year with the smoke creek desert on the other side of Gerlach).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby unjonharley » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:31 pm

]
I have a Golden Age card.. The card allows me to camp free on BLM and other government lands.. Plus a Lic. p[late for disabled American vets.. Also a Golden Age card for state parks.. In Or. if all park space is full, You are allowed to camp at day parks. I might have a break down and have to wait for repair parts, At a gravel pit about 440 miles west of Gerlach
unjonharley

Postby ygmir » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:43 pm

unjonharley wrote:]
I have a Golden Age card.. The card allows me to camp free on BLM and other government lands.. Plus a Lic. p[late for disabled American vets.. Also a Golden Age card for state parks.. In Or. if all park space is full, You are allowed to camp at day parks. I might have a break down and have to wait for repair parts, At a gravel pit about 440 miles west of Gerlach

gravel pit, or fish farm?....might want to check your map.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby moonrise » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:47 pm

I admit, I did post this thought (yea, I saw it elsewhere) to inform the ticket orphans this may be possible. I also know the BLM will get riled up if it isn't done properly. So will the locals and the anti-Burning Man crowd. Thanks for the clear reply Trilo.

I won't dare mention the 4th of Juplaya, oops, I did it again!
moonrise

Postby unjonharley » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:52 pm

ygmir wrote:
I have a Golden Age card.. The card allows me to camp free on BLM and other government lands.. Plus a Lic. p[late for disabled American vets.. Also a Golden Age card for state parks.. In Or. if all park space is full, You are allowed to camp at day parks. I might have a break down and have to wait for repair parts, At a gravel pit aboutOOPS MAKE THIS 40 miles west of Gerlach

Half way between Cedarville and Gerlach
unjonharley

Postby ygmir » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:57 pm

unjonharley wrote:
ygmir wrote:
I have a Golden Age card.. The card allows me to camp free on BLM and other government lands.. Plus a Lic. p[late for disabled American vets.. Also a Golden Age card for state parks.. In Or. if all park space is full, You are allowed to camp at day parks. I might have a break down and have to wait for repair parts, At a gravel pit aboutOOPS MAKE THIS 40 miles west of Gerlach

Half way between Cedarville and Gerlach

Just makin sure you're not changing your name to Capn Ahab.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby moonrise » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:22 pm

do you have tix unjohn? I hope so.
moonrise

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:27 pm

He did not make a place in the current STEP line. (See the thred with the word "Whine" in the title began today.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby moonrise » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:38 pm

Oh boy (I'm ducking and running!)
moonrise

Postby burner von braun » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:49 pm

Arrg!... we need unjon to burn the man's ass off!
Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Postby Max Callahan » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:42 pm

drutter wrote:
Max Callahan wrote:NO, no everyone, this is what we need.
Sure 161 burners don't get to go...

Claiming there are only 161 people who can't get tickets is going to get you in trouble with the 20000 or so who can't get tickets. Don't minimize our pain, maaaan.

Hey man, don't stick me with that, the full quote is "Sure 161 burners don't get to go because .3% of tickets sold ended up in the hands of scalpers, but something like 13,000 people don't get to go because of the BLM cap on our population."
I'm claiming 13161 people don't get to go.
Max Callahan

Previous

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion