11 year vet.. no ticket.. what to do?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

11 year vet.. no ticket.. what to do?

Postby rheos » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:24 am

I've been going to Burning Man 11 years now..

I didn't do the initial lottery this year because unfortunately my credit card was maxed at that time.

I planned to get a ticket on the next round hopefully.. or through the STEP system that was discussed.

But now those promised ticket sales are no longer happening. And I'm not allowed to use STEP because I didn't jump in the initial lottery.
Both these things were completely unanticipated at the time i decided not to do the lottery.

I've been looking forward to 2012 for years.

I'd like to put it out there that I think that there should be some way into STEP for those of us who were not able to try the initial lottery offering.
Perhaps some link up to eplaya accounts that are more than a few years old? i dunno..

Anyone have a suggestion for me?
Last edited by rheos on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
rheos

Re: 11 year vet.. no ticket.. what to do?

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:30 am

Sit tight. Talk to friends. Stay active in the community. Prepare as if you're going. Wait until June-ish when the actual tickets get mailed out and the re-sale market gets going. Don't lose hope. Pet your dog. Smell the flowers.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Savannah » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:57 am

That's how I personally would play it--especially telling all my friends I was looking, make my lists, and get my time off. Because when a sheepish friend says on August 15th: "Something has come up and I can't go, you uh . . . wanna buy this off me?" there are two responses:

"I didn't think this would happen; I can't possibly get the time off or begin shopping now. Goddamn you."

or

"I'll meet you in an hour with cash and a tray of cupcakes."

(I know not everyone can turn on a dime, but if your life allows you a little flexibility, meet it halfway.)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby rheos » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:20 pm

ya, i suppose yer right. it will just be a good feeling when that's covered.
i seem to end up there every year no matter what i do anyway.
rheos

Postby alt12 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:23 pm

rheos wrote:I've been going to Burning Man 11 years now..

I didn't do the initial lottery this year because unfortunately my credit card was maxed at that time.

I planned to get a ticket on the next round hopefully.. or through the STEP system that was discussed.

But now those promised ticket sales are no longer happening. And I'm not allowed to use STEP because I didn't jump in the initial lottery.
Both these things were completely unanticipated at the time i decided not to do the lottery.

I've been looking forward to 2012 for years.

I'd like to put it out there that I think that there should be some way into STEP for those of us who were not able to try the initial lottery offering.
Perhaps some link up to eplaya accounts that are more than a few years old? i dunno..

Anyone have a suggestion for me?

As hard as this is to swallow, I would plan for not knowing whether you will have a ticket until late in the year. Personally, I would just plan ahead as if you are going. I think once tickets are in people's hands (unfortunately they are being mailed ludicrously late this year) there will start to be a flow of tickets from those who have to those who need. People always drop out towards the end, or have emergencies, or over-committed, etc. If it makes you feel any better I and many others are in the same position.... In my camp there are always last minute drop-outs and frequently they already have their tickets...
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Postby The CO » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:40 pm

Savannah wrote:"I'll meet you in an hour with cash and a tray of cupcakes."

DING DING DING!!!
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby glitter-mouse » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:47 pm

PM me, bro. i have some connections. i hooked up crimson rose a while back and she owes me. she said she can get all my bros in, but you may have to give her a foot massage or some shit like telling her she's pretty. but don't worry, bro she's so high most of the time you can tell her rainbows are coming out of her ass and she'll ask what color. just say red or blue or some fucking shit.
glitter-mouse

Postby Eric » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:59 pm

glitter-mouse wrote:PM me, bro. i have some connections. i hooked up crimson rose a while back and she owes me. she said she can get all my bros in, but you may have to give her a foot massage or some shit like telling her she's pretty. but don't worry, bro she's so high most of the time you can tell her rainbows are coming out of her ass and she'll ask what color. just say red or blue or some fucking shit.

:roll:
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby International Incident » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:03 pm

Eric wrote:
glitter-mouse wrote:PM me, bro. i have some connections. i hooked up crimson rose a while back and she owes me. she said she can get all my bros in, but you may have to give her a foot massage or some shit like telling her she's pretty. but don't worry, bro she's so high most of the time you can tell her rainbows are coming out of her ass and she'll ask what color. just say red or blue or some fucking shit.

Damn you Eric, i plonked GM. Now i still get to read the troll because you quoted it...

:evil:
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby BBadger » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:40 pm

melaniejane wrote:
Eric wrote:
troll wrote:(troll quote)

Damn you Eric, i plonked GM. Now i still get to read the troll because you quoted it...

Damn you melaniejane, I plonked the 'louse and now I still get to read the troll because you quoted it...
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby ygmir » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:54 pm

troll wrote:(troll quote)

:roll:[/quote]
BBadger wrote:
melaniejane wrote:
Eric wrote:

Damn you melaniejane, I plonked the 'louse and now I still get to read the troll because you quoted it...

damn you BBadger.............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Eric » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:36 pm

Welcome to the world of the plonk-free.

*wheeee*
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Marscrumbs » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:16 am

What have you been doing for eleven years at Burning Man. And why don't you have connections with the 10K chosen few.
After so long you should have been one of the eggs and not a sperm?
Marscrumbs

Postby ygmir » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:00 am

The title of this thread, initially, sort of bugged me.........like a "vets are more entitled" thing.
But reading the OP's words, I came to appreciate the attitude.
It's not a person sitting there, whining about not going and declaring (as so many have), that they are "more deserving" because they been going so long and are the pioneers, "built the city" "Made it what it is" etc.

It's just about the anxiety of no ticket, and hoping for a way to get a ticket

Thanks, OP, for that.

I wish you luck, in your quest.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby remi » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:05 am

Plan to go, get time off, and in the last week (or last couple days) before opening day you'll be able to find tickets for face value, perhaps even a little lower.

Good Luck!
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby The CO » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:28 am

glitter-mouse wrote:i hooked up crimson rose a while back and she owes me.

What-Fucking-Ever.

I'm with Eric. Plonking denies a certain entertainment...
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby ygmir » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:33 am

The CO wrote:

What-Fucking-Ever.

we should form a "Plonking: never have, probably never will (because never is a tough term)" club.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:37 am

I wanna form a club that's more "I'm plonking the true idiots and not reading really obnoxious threads, but would like my friends to point out when really wacky statements are made."
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:40 am

can I join both?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:42 am

Yeah, sure. We all know that I'm open to mutually contradictory things...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby vargaso » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:58 am

Ha! Pretty sure he's joking here, people. I laughed, anyway.
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby rheos » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:40 pm

Marscrumbs wrote:What have you been doing for eleven years at Burning Man. And why don't you have connections with the 10K chosen few.
After so long you should have been one of the eggs and not a sperm?

I've done alot of different things... volunteered at center camp and been involved with a number of projects, fire guild, been part of theme camps as well as organizing a theme camp for a number of years. That's all over now though. (well, i might still do center camp) Now I live in a small town and the default world keeps me pretty busy. Burning Man has become my one time of the year to see all the friends I've made over the years in what is my spiritual mecca and international convention of freaks. Last year I was just in a satellite camp with a group of friends and have to say I liked that.

I could probably pull some strings somewhere and get a ticket but to be honest I haven't totally decided what project I can commit to right now and don't want to take resources away from anything I'm not honestly involved with. Something still may materialize in that area though. I'll keep the faith.

I just thought I'd put it out there that there some of us would love the be allowed to use the STEP system even though we didn't jump on the initial lottery.

I'm sure it will work out somehow anyway.. that would just make it somewhat easier for me and probably others who are in the same boat as me.
rheos

Postby International Incident » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:23 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I wanna form a club that's more "I'm plonking the true idiots and not reading really obnoxious threads, but would like my friends to point out when really wacky statements are made."

Puts hand up. I'll join.
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby mdmf007 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:22 am

The CO wrote:

What-Fucking-Ever.

Unfortunately if the moderators start plonking people then the conversations are all disjointed and the shit were trying to keep moderated gets missed. There are plenty of posts written by the same asshats I can do without - but get to read them nonetheless.

MDMF :)
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Elorrum » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:12 am

alert me to really whacky shit! thank you.

Act as if you are going, I agree to this. Plan to go barebones Perhaps make a reduction of cost, and no new stuff (unless absolutely needed,) your plan, dig into your saved for burning man project box, closet, er garage storage space and use what you already have. Let me know how you do it and if it's possible. I took the front passenger seat out of my car last year, and would appreciate some reduction plan ideas.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby Sail Man » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:43 pm

Embrace the regionals?

After 11 years of going, the regionals smaller size may remind you of the days when the burn itself was smaller.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby drutter » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:08 pm

rheos wrote:I've been going to Burning Man 11 years now.

And you're not hooked up with the 10,000 popular kids, who now have a permanent place at Burning Man? This was to be my 5th year, and I'm not "hooked up", but I figured somebody with more than twice my seniority would!

rheos wrote:And I'm not allowed to use STEP because I didn't jump in the initial lottery.

That was quite a nasty little curve ball they threw, wasn't it? :(

rheos wrote:I think that there should be some way into STEP for those of us who were not able to try the initial lottery offering.

250 tickets or so were already sold through STEP and there aren't anticipated to be many more. Getting tacked on to the end of the 2000 person waiting list isn't going to get you a ticket. I'm one of the next in line, and I'm probably not even going to get offered one.

As for "prepare as if you're going, and hope to get something last minute", I understand the sentiment there, but come on. Chances of getting a ticket this year are almost nil unless you're with the in-crowd or you have a ton of money. Connections and cash get you into Burning Man 2012. A handful of lucky people who have no cash or connections will get in, but a handful out of 55000 isn't great odds.
Heavy on preparations, light on expectations.
drutter

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion