Right vs. Pragmatic

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Right vs. Pragmatic

Postby vargaso » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:25 pm

Hello sexies, I just read this fantastic article (or "post" or whatever it is we're calling a bunch of paragraphs in one place about a certain topic) discussing media piracy and how the content owners are handling it, claiming they are "right" to protect their content from piracy, but that that doesn't really matter because it's not changing people's behavior and the content owners end up losing more money than if they went the pragmatic approach and made it easier to legally purchase content than it is to pirate it, even though that means it's also easier to pirate. Read it here:

http://www.marco.org/2012/02/25/right-vs-pragmatic

Anyhoo, I thought this was germaine to the ticketing mess we're all slogging through. The BMORG was "right" when they declared that "good burners" should only order the exact amount they personally need and that if they are to resell, do so via STEP and for face value even if done through another channel. However, we all knew and came to find out that isn't how people are going to behave.

I think the BMORG has learned this, but I thought I'd link to the article because it lays it out beautifully, with quaintly hand-drawn pictures to boot.

Edited to add:
Also, this relates to the discussion over non-transferrable and/or IDs on tickets. While it may be "right" according to the gifting principle and possibly identity issues to keep tickets transferrable and not tied to an ID, at this point, it's pragmatic to do so in order to limit both scalping and hoarding.
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Re: Right vs. Pragmatic

Postby BBadger » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:35 pm

Well this is all a microcosm for humanity as a whole. Expect the best from your people; prepare for the worst.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Right vs. Pragmatic

Postby vargaso » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:56 pm

BBadger wrote:Well this is all a microcosm for humanity as a whole. Expect the best from your people; prepare for the worst.

Exactly. High in preparation, low in expectation is something I actually learned from my Burning Man experience. Here's hoping it gets put into the ticketing policy in 2013.
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion