STEP policy change: 2 tickets now allowed

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

STEP policy change: 2 tickets now allowed

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:33 pm

http://blog.burningman.com/2012/02/news ... cy-change/

Burning Man’s Secure Ticket Exchange Program (STEP) Policy Change
Posted by Will Chase

Photo by Gina Hansen

Last week we announced (in “Rebuilding Black Rock City 2012”) changes to the sales process for Burning Man 2012 tickets, including adjustments to the Secure Ticket Exchange Program (STEP). At that time we announced a policy of allowing people to purchase only one (1) non-transferable ticket per person through STEP.

However, after further consideration and much feedback from you, we’ve decided that this policy is unfair to people who originally registered for two tickets in the Main Sale, one for themselves and one for their significant other, family member, friend, or campmate.

We hear you, and we’re listening. That’s why we’re adjusting this policy to allow people who originally registered for two tickets in the Main Sale to request a maximum of two tickets per person through STEP. (If our records show that you originally registered for only one ticket in the Main Sale, you can only request one ticket through STEP.) All tickets purchased through STEP are non-transferable, and will be held at Will Call only. These tickets should be for you (or you and an identified guest).

Also, it’s important to note that STEP will have only as many tickets available as there are people who sell their tickets into it. We believe that people will also be selling/giving tickets within their immediate circle of friends and local community- and we aren’t trying to change that. It’s likely that few will find themselves holding “extra” tickets without already having a friend or camp mate in need, so we don’t anticipate STEP will have a high, regular flow of tickets; we anticipate an early influx and then a trickle as people’s plans develop, though we’d be happy to be proven wrong on this. We also know that in any typical year, there is a fair amount of summertime turnover as the event gets closer and life events cause Burners’ plans to change. We encourage you to first seek out tickets from your immediate community of friends and cohorts, as well as any other avenues for acquiring face-value, legitimate tickets as you can find, without patronizing scalpers.

If you are eligible to participate in STEP, you’ll be receiving an email at the end of February with information about how to sign up. For more information about Burning Man tickets and STEP, please see our ticket page.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: STEP policy change: 2 tickets now allowed

Postby ZaphodBurner » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:58 pm

Fucking AWESOME.

This just gave hope to two couples I know who wanted to be married in BRC this year including one couple who met in BRC2010, got engaged in BRC2011, and have been planning all year.

To the BORG: On behalf of the core members of The Green Hour--all of whom are couples, and none of whom got tickets--thanks for restoring hope and joy and for respecting those who didn't game the system. You did this one right!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR LISTENING! We believe in you.

(But we still need tickets LOL!)
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby Mosquitopilate » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:13 pm

This is getting insane, everytime there is new news about how tickets are going to be sold it narrows my chance that I get 1 ticket,How about change a rule that helps people who wanted 1 ticket
Twitter - @BurnPlayaMan E-Mail - Mosquitopilate@yahoo.com Image
Thanks to all that made BM 2012 great. You people are the best on planet earth )'( )'( )'(
Mosquitopilate

Burning Since: 2001

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:24 pm

Yup! Props to the the BMORG for listening and doing the best they can with what they've been dealt with. This kind of situation comes with no instruction manual and no history to fall back on. This is a STEP in the right direction.. (insert knee slap here)

Even though I've connected with the 2 tickets that I need via friends, I'll still register for the STEP program for 2 tickets in hopes of distributing them to friends in need for face value.

Mosquitopilate wrote:This is getting insane, everytime there is new news about how tickets are going to be sold it narrows my chance that I get 1 ticket,How about change a rule that helps people who wanted 1 ticket

Lol.. BMORG is damned if they do and damned if they don't, hm?
junglesmacks

Postby Brianna_Beauty413 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:26 pm

Mosquitopilate wrote:This is getting insane, everytime there is new news about how tickets are going to be sold it narrows my chance that I get 1 ticket,How about change a rule that helps people who wanted 1 ticket

One thing we've learned throughout this entire process is that it's impossible to please everyone.

I think the BMORG made the right decisions on pretty much everything after the lottery apocalypse went down
"One good thing about music: When it hits you - you feel no pain" - Bob Marley
Brianna_Beauty413

Postby trilobyte » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:35 pm

@MosquitoPilate - if it makes you feel any better, I think more people holding tickets are likely to consider putting tickets into a system that doesn't penalize people who do the right thing. And the more people that opt to feed tickets in, the better your chances get.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby unjonharley » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:42 pm

]
]
I will expect to see more tickets in step, After the news of $5 a gallon for gas
unjonharley

Postby Marscrumbs » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:23 pm

Small change but it was the logical thing to do.
Marscrumbs

Postby BarShirley » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:26 pm

Yay, This decision has lifted my spirits :D My Playa Wedding still might go ahead.
I know it's still going to be a long and stressful process and I have a feeling demand is still going to outweigh supply.

Good Luck again to everyone. Hope to see you soon.

xxxx
To Give, To Love, To Share, To Grow.
BarShirley

Postby playawaya » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:51 pm

step on this!

[3rd party ticket listing info removed]
playawaya

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:58 pm

I'm so going for the $50k VIP tickets. Screw this tier one common folk crap.
junglesmacks

Postby robrob » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:31 pm

n/m
robrob

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: smoregasm / endor

Postby Rice » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:28 pm

unjonharley wrote:]
]
I will expect to see more tickets in step, After the news of $5 a gallon for gas

Gas is almost that now where I live, I welcome the cheaper gas prices of the US
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby glitter-mouse » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:40 am

this was a PR stunt. they took away the second STEP ticket in the first place just so they could give it back in a show of how much they're listening to your concerns.

the BMorg has NEVER listened to the concerns to the attendees. if they ever have, it was just a show until the person would stop talking.
glitter-mouse

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:59 am

Life must be pretty sad if your entertainment has been reduced to bitter trolling on a public Internet message board.
junglesmacks

Postby glitter-mouse » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:09 am

junglesmacks wrote:Life must be pretty sad if your entertainment has been reduced to bitter trolling on a public Internet message board.

coming from someone who like elmo, that's a compliment.
glitter-mouse

Postby Mosquitopilate » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:43 am

Well here is the deal I need a ticket just like everyone else and they said themselves on the STEP update "there will not be alot of tix in the STEP program" hey guess what then to those people who are not using STEP how about Selling a ticket to me face value & I will pay shipping
Thanks to all that made BM 2012 great. You people are the best on planet earth )'( )'( )'(
Mosquitopilate

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:59 am

glitter-mouse wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:Life must be pretty sad if your entertainment has been reduced to bitter trolling on a public Internet message board.

I think we're making deep psychological progress here. Maybe if you loved a little more.. and allowed things like dancing muppets in your life.. we might yet turn that frown.. upside down!
junglesmacks

Postby remi » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:08 am

Right on. Big ups to BMOrg for listening to the people. Next step... non transferable 2013.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby Mosquitopilate » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:27 am

oh I have danced with many of puppets and its good......real good
Mosquitopilate

Postby Brianna_Beauty413 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:55 am

junglesmacks wrote:I think we're making deep psychological progress here. Maybe if you loved a little more.. and allowed things like dancing muppets in your life.. we might yet turn that frown.. upside down!

"One good thing about music: When it hits you - you feel no pain" - Bob Marley
Brianna_Beauty413

Postby Mojojita » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:34 am

glitter-mouse wrote:this was a PR stunt. they took away the second STEP ticket in the first place just so they could give it back in a show of how much they're listening to your concerns.

the BMorg has NEVER listened to the concerns to the attendees. if they ever have, it was just a show until the person would stop talking.

How I know this is untrue: A few years ago, my camp of volunteers was setting up pre-event. We looked a bit like orphans all alone as we don't live in theme camp land. I had a lovely talk with one of the board members who came over just to check on us and say hello. It was a wonderful thing then and is no less wonderful to remember.

Yes, they do listen (obviously, hence the ticketing changes) - although they really don't have to. I'm grateful for their response.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby glitter-mouse » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:06 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Maybe if you loved a little more.. and allowed things like dancing muppets in your life.. we might yet turn that frown.. upside down!

Everyone loves dancing muppets. But the job of the Children's Television Network is not just to entertain, it's also to teach. The message Elmo sends out is that it's okay to never learn - to always act like a screaming, annoying baby with a speech impediment... And whatever became of Grover after this usurping monster came on the scene, johnny-come-lately? Kids don't even know who Grover is anymore. He's been totally overshadowed and pushed into obscurity by this bratty Elmo who is little more than a distraction, a shiny object for children to look at so they forget for a moment how shitty their lives are living in a home without a daddy. Elmo is the Kim Kardashian of Sesame Street.
glitter-mouse

Postby lucky420 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:08 pm

lol love your last post glitter-mouse. i might not agree with your other posts but I loooove your last one. Elmo is a punk
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby ZaphodBurner » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:11 pm

I have no experience with Will Call on the playa but I've heard horror stories of being there for three hours.

What's it going to be like if there are 20,000 picking up their tickets from Will Call? Is that going to be the next big challenge? We're probably going to need an entirely separate vehicle line and parking area for Will Call.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby NessaZee » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:25 pm

ZaphodBurner wrote:I have no experience with Will Call on the playa but I've heard horror stories of being there for three hours.

What's it going to be like if there are 20,000 picking up their tickets from Will Call? Is that going to be the next big challenge? We're probably going to need an entirely separate vehicle line and parking area for Will Call.

From my experience, those long waits are only for the 'I have a situation' line (I waited 4 hours). And that was mostly because a volunteer did not show up for their shift and the window was closed for a period of time. The other lines have moved pretty quickly(under an hour) every time I've been in the will-call vicinity. Over-staff it with volunteers and it should be ok.

And anyway, the wait is fun. Lots of heightened energy...and when people finally got through the 'tortuous gauntlet' with tickets in hand, it was like they'd been handed a miracle. never seen smiles that big...lolz good times
~Om-Nom-Nom~~simplicity is potent~~handjob gallery~~the best is yet to come~
NessaZee

Postby Rice » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm

ZaphodBurner wrote:I have no experience with Will Call on the playa but I've heard horror stories of being there for three hours.

There is a parking lot for Will Call.

I have never had any negative experiences with picking up tickets at Will Call, I have used it the last 3 years.

There is a possibility of a wait. There are only so many people that can be served at one time, so if 1000 people show up at the same time, there will be waits.

When dealing with Will Call, make sure you have a printout of your online receipt (ie: reference number) AND a valid photo-id (passport or state drivers license). Do not look for these once it is your turn, make sure you have them when you leave your vehicle. Excessive waits always seem to be cause by some goofball who does not have their shit together...
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby 7chix&me » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:01 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
glitter-mouse wrote:

I think we're making deep psychological progress here. Maybe if you loved a little more.. and allowed things like dancing muppets in your life.. we might yet turn that frown.. upside down!

Tee hee hee!

glitter-mouse wrote:Everyone loves dancing muppets. But the job of the Children's Television Network is not just to entertain, it's also to teach. The message Elmo sends out is that it's okay to never learn - to always act like a screaming, annoying baby with a speech impediment... And whatever became of Grover after this usurping monster came on the scene, johnny-come-lately? Kids don't even know who Grover is anymore. He's been totally overshadowed and pushed into obscurity by this bratty Elmo who is little more than a distraction, a shiny object for children to look at so they forget for a moment how shitty their lives are living in a home without a daddy. Elmo is the Kim Kardashian of Sesame Street.

I thought that Elmo sends a message that it's ok if you don't know as much as the other guys. There are always people you can go to for help so you CAN learn!
7chix&me

Postby Bexx » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:13 am

Amazing news..., still not to keen on the will call party that STEP is gonna create.. But hey.. It's better then nothing!
fuckshit-tit-balls-goddamn motherfucker../Little Miss Swears A Lot!
Bexx

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp _____ (cock and balls)

Postby knowmad » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:52 am

glitter-mouse wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:Maybe if you loved a little more.. and allowed things like dancing muppets in your life.. we might yet turn that frown.. upside down!

Everyone loves dancing muppets. But the job of the Children's Television Network is not just to entertain, it's also to teach. The message Elmo sends out is that it's okay to never learn - to always act like a screaming, annoying baby with a speech impediment... And whatever became of Grover after this usurping monster came on the scene, johnny-come-lately? Kids don't even know who Grover is anymore. He's been totally overshadowed and pushed into obscurity by this bratty Elmo who is little more than a distraction, a shiny object for children to look at so they forget for a moment how shitty their lives are living in a home without a daddy. Elmo is the Kim Kardashian of Sesame Street.

Fuck that!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Prolly a fact that there is no daddy in that kid's house is the fact that Some Negitive Bitch who can't see the good in any thing drove the father off or never encouraged him to stay. And Television Networks jobs are not to teach children that would be the parent(s) job. the Fact that you would compare Elmo to Kardashian just shows that you parent(s) did a shit job by expecting you to look for the good in life. Like love, and dancing, and cute little muppets. and a ticket program that doesn't aid scalpers.
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri
knowmad

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB

Next

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion