Low income rumination and "birgin hate"

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Low income rumination and "birgin hate"

Postby incubus_pantomime » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:40 pm

So, this is a long post, and I'm sure it's bound to piss some people off...sorry, but I felt the need to express my feelings on all this madness.

I'm getting worried about this whole process. I was able to stay positive up until the lottery ended, and (apparently) the Burner world went crazy. This whole process is starting to dim the shining beacon that Burning Man had become for me.

Being a birgin, I wanted to make sure that my first year on the playa would be for the right reasons, and I that was prepared. I've known about Burning Man for years, and I've spent the past two years reading and researching everything about BM I could get my hands on, because I wanted to make sure that this was something I truly deserved to attend. I also wanted to make sure that I fully understood the ten principles, and that I would be eager to adhere to each and every one of them to the best of my ability. After careful consideration, I decided that I was ready to go Home. I truly felt like this experience was one that I was fated to experience.

I finally joined ePlaya, because I was ready to begin integrating myself into the community in whatever way I could. LIving in Texas has made this a little difficult, but I figure I'd manage. I signed up for JRS, and filled out the volunteer application. I got myself situated with Lamplighters, and told them I was happy to volunteer as much as they needed me -- after all, volunteering is a huge part of my life in the default world, so why should it be any different on the playa? I started saving money, which is hard to do as a full-time student on part-time wages. Between my brother and I, we've saved enough for flights, supplies, rental car fees, etc. in just over a year, and we're damn proud of that.

We decided to patiently wait for the lottery to come and go, and apply for low income tickets, because we truly felt that we were deserving of more inexpensive tickets. It took a long time to save this much, and we couldn't afford to save any more in time to try for the lowest tier in the lottery. We thought everything was going to be ok.

I may realize now that we were wrong.

First of all, I truly love what I believe the spirit of Burning Man to be. That being said, I'm honestly hurt to hear that birgins like myself are being met with opposition with their desire to attend this event. We didn't decide to go this year based on a whim. We weren't influenced simply by a Youtube video or a story on the internet. This is something we've been planning, saving, and educating ourselves about for months and months. Why should we be viewed as the enemy? No, we're not part of a theme camp. We're not creating art. This first year, our virgin year, these things were not possible for us logistically. If we attend this year and we like it, we're more than ready to integrate ourselves further into the community and give back even more than we are planning to this first year.

I'm sorry if anything I've said has offended anyone, but I almost started crying when I started reading some comments advocating birgin hate. We're not all mindless sparkle ponies. We're not all going to MOOP up the playa and walk around expecting an endless parade of free gifts, dub step, naked chicks and drugs. Some of us are educated in the tenets of Burning Man that make this event singular in its beauty, and we want to be a part of that.

So, on top of worrying about money, grad school, and my "life in progress," I've got to add the idea that I may not receive a low income ticket because I'm not "burn-y" enough, even though I have the proper documentation and financial need that I would consider worthy of this generous opportunity that the BMOrg is willing to provide.

...And now I'm done. Feel free to lambast me.
"I think perhaps love thrives on unlikely circumstance and chance : life thrives on these principles, and is life not love? And love not life?"
incubus_pantomime

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Lamplighters (thanks, guys and gals!)

Re: Low income rumination and "birgin hate"

Postby trilobyte » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:51 pm

It sounds like, in the time you've spent researching the event, you've set a bunch of expectations…. d'oh!

Scarcity is a bitch. It can bring out the worst in the very best people. People don't necessarily want fair, they want their tickets. And during a period of upheaval, there's plenty of fear, uncertainty, and doubt - during those times, there's a lot of lashing out (as you've seen, and as your post is kind of doing).

The low income program does not have a minimum years of attendance requirement. Apply. See what happens. If it doesn't work out, then you can look at other events/regionals, or be way ahead of the game and in a better position for whatever happens with next year's event.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Sham » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:56 pm

No incubus_pantomime there will be no lambasting here. You will be welcomed with open arms and no one will know this is your first year unless you tell them. Everything you have written, gives good feelings that this is your home.
Be sure you make it to the eplaya meet and greet at Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro, on Thursday evening. You'll get to meet and hug most of the snarky misfits that are on this forum. I will be first in line for a hug! :D
I'm glad you got your feeling out, and I'm sure your whole attitude will change once your finally get into that crazy, dusty city!

Sham....
Sham

Postby incubus_pantomime » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:07 pm

trilobyte wrote:It sounds like, in the time you've spent researching the event, you've set a bunch of expectations…. d'oh!

Scarcity is a bitch. It can bring out the worst in the very best people. People don't necessarily want fair, they want their tickets. And during a period of upheaval, there's plenty of fear, uncertainty, and doubt - during those times, there's a lot of lashing out (as you've seen, and as your post is kind of doing).

The low income program does not have a minimum years of attendance requirement. Apply. See what happens. If it doesn't work out, then you can look at other events/regionals, or be way ahead of the game and in a better position for whatever happens with next year's event.

Thanks for being so honest, Trilo! I really do appreciate it. I guess coming into the whole ticketing process the first year after the 2011 sellout and this year's snafu has made for a unique first-time experience. I think I need to welcome this weekend -- sitting on campus in between work and class has left me obsessing over ePlaya, and allowing words being said in the wake of chaos to affect me more than they should.

Shambala wrote:No incubus_pantomime there will be no lambasting here. You will be welcomed with open arms and no one will know this is your first year unless you tell them. Everything you have written, gives good feelings that this is your home.
Be sure you make it to the eplaya meet and greet at Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro, on Thursday evening. You'll get to meet and hug most of the snarky misfits that are on this forum. I will be first in line for a hug! :D
I'm glad you got your feeling out, and I'm sure your whole attitude will change once your finally get into that crazy, dusty city!

Sham....

Shambala, I'm holding you to that hug! :D
"I think perhaps love thrives on unlikely circumstance and chance : life thrives on these principles, and is life not love? And love not life?"
incubus_pantomime

Postby ygmir » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:16 pm

Welcome!!
first and foremost, Welcome!!

you've gotten great advise, from two knowledgeable eplayans.
All I can see to add, is to suggest you thicken your skin some, take things with a grain of salt, bark back, if barked at, and, accept kool aid, but not grape flavor-aid. There is a difference.

you'll do fine.
And, there are a lot of stellar Burners in TX. I know and love many of them. yeah, "love dem long time".

Jump on in!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby bluesbob » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:10 pm

Welcome to the ashes of what was once Burning Man.

Now get some tickets and let's have some fun!
"aw shucks.." - Eric
bluesbob

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:26 pm

I can see how all this would be frustrating.

Eplaya is not Burning Man. Its finely sharpened snark is the same you would find in most online message boards.

Flipside in Austin has operated with scarcity for several years. But see if you an make some in person connections, larger cities have house parties and sometime you will experience Flipside and Burning Man in person. The in person connections are great to find future campmates too.

I've been to many events, but I think of Burningman as a tool now not an end.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby alt12 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:53 pm

incubus_pantomime wrote:So, on top of worrying about money, grad school, and my "life in progress," I've got to add the idea that I may not receive a low income ticket because I'm not "burn-y" enough, even though I have the proper documentation and financial need that I would consider worthy of this generous opportunity that the BMOrg is willing to provide.

...And now I'm done. Feel free to lambast me.

Maybe this isn't the year for you... If you don't get a ticket, there's always next year...

Frankly, I think you may be failing appreciate the role burning man has in the lives of so many people who attend year after year. People base their entire year around this event. They literally don't have friends who aren't burners as their community and social life is based around their camp or their art project, etc. They work 10-20-30 hours a week all year long with teams of friends to pull off the big projects, etc. Some have spent thousands of dollars over their own personal money over the year to get some project off the ground. This is why some folks are devastated when it becomes apparent that they won't be able to go this year. Its not just that they were excited about the event had researched its, its that literally years of blood, sweat, tears, and puke have been invested into it. Frankly, burning man can take over one's life in an unhealthy way leading to burnout scenarios (I'm sure there are a lot of longtime burners are burning out this year based on the ticketing debacle alone). I guess what I'm trying to say is if you can try and appreciate how much time, money, energy is invested in this event by (some) veterans, the anger, indignation, etc. will become more understandable. That being said, I love virgins and if you do get a ticket I hope you have an amazing experience....
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Postby moonrise » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:04 am

I hope you get tix!

I hear Flipside is the one of best regionals. It would be fantastic if you can connect with fellow burners there, before and after you make it to Burning Man.

See you in the dust...
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Rice » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:21 am

Everyone who is now a grizzled veteran was at one point a wide-eyed virgin.

There is nothing that makes a veteran burner any more deserving of a ticket than anyone else. If you get a ticket, it is yours to attend.

Up until 2011 anyone who wanted to attend BM, could purchase a ticket and attend. Unfortunately the population of BRC has grown to the maximum allowed by the BLM. So, now only a limited number of tickets exist. Oh the uproar!! People are ranting about how BM is now elitist, against artists, or whatever... I reiterate: no one is more deserving of a ticket than anyone else! If anyone says they are, they are wrong!

Go, explore, participate, enjoy! BRC is yours to explore...

See ya on the playa!
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Lassen Forge » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:42 am

stretch80 wrote:Everyone who is now a grizzled veteran was at one point a wide-eyed virgin....

See ya on the playa!

Something no one seems to remember - THEY were Burgins at one time, too. EVEN BMOrg Board were burgins once.

Know what? OUR CAMP TAKES BURGINS. We started as camp of 3 short-timer vets and rest of us were Virgin that year. We had BEST Camp in BRC, and still do - if people want to PARTICIAPTE and be PART of our CITY, and NYET be SPEKTATORS we will ook at them and perhaps to take them on board to bring DOOM unto PLAYA.

We do not look at "Do you have 10+ burns" elitist bourgoisie crap... we look at what YOU will do to help us win WAR ON HOPE!!

We are serious. Feel OUR brand of love, as it burns slowly into forehead... and accept YOUR 21 gun salute along bullet-pocked wall of fame.

Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby gyre » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:47 am

Houston is actually one of the early outliers of burners.

The ticket overlords don't actually give out info on the evaluation process.
Demand may be high this year.
gyre

Postby alt12 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:51 pm

stretch80 wrote: I reiterate: no one is more deserving of a ticket than anyone else! If anyone says they are, they are wrong!

I agree with you 1000%. However, the BMORG begs to differ. And there lies the rub....
alt12

Postby Herring » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:06 pm

Come to Flipside!

http://burningflipside.com/

It sounds like its more in your price range and it's had a lottery for years so nobody's especially upset about virgins there. We have a great big effigy and a river to cool off in.

Our ticket trading place is here: http://www.notnotbobslist.org/

But if you can make it to a town hall you can find someone to volunteer with and possibly someone to buy a ticket off of. You might even be gifted a ticket if you are particularly hard working, but you shouldn't bank on that.

Seriously, we'd love to have you, and That Thing In The Desert really isn't all that easy to do on a tight budget, you just can't rely on low income tickets. I know our primary sale is over but my friends have always had good luck in the secondary market closer to May when the flakes realize they can't go.
"It's impossible." said pride.
"It's risky." said experience.
"It's pointless." said reason.
"Give it a try." whispered the heart.
Herring

Postby lucky420 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:11 pm

Pesonally I haven't seen a lot of "hate" towards virgins. maybe I just haven't read those threads? But a bit of advice to the virgins and I'm sure you've heard this before but if not "eplaya is not the playa"

There is a shit ton of snark here (sometimes it may be hard to "get it") but take it with a grain of salt, brush it off. Relax it will be fine *cue the soothing music** and then toughen up because the snark storm here on eplaya is going to be nothing compared to the dust storms on la playa... :wink:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby gyre » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:12 pm

I tried to get a ticket to Flipside for years.

Gave up and just went to the burn.
gyre

Postby RedHeaven » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:18 pm

Welcome!!! Try not to take things so personally. Its a tough year to go for the first time, that is obvious. With all the snafus, people are going to get angry and do some blaming. Truth is, everyone knows there are all kinds of different new people and old people. Most of the burgins I meet every year are all Stealthy and have their shit together. Its awesome. But there are also the other kind. Let people vent about things for now....Burners can be a whiny snobby bunch, but with a whole lot of great qualities, too. Radical self expression leads to Just That. I feel like some burgins are disappointed that the year they chose to go happens to be a challenging one. This is about everyone, not about an individual. Nobody is getting picked out and there are lots of natural generalizations going on, but we do have to have thick skin through it all.
Intense in every way! Everyone is learning to let go. Vets feel they are entitled to their ticket after all the work they have done over the years, and burgins feel that they are entitled to a smooth year with no fuss after all the waiting to go and mental prepping. We're all whiners! ;) j/k
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:31 pm

FUCK YOU, VIRGIN!

no seriously, fuck your day.

(will someone please PM her and let her know i'm just kidding and that i love her and hope she has the best damn burn, EVER. thanks)
fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Herring » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:40 pm

Maybe it's just a cross-cultural misunderstanding.

On the playa:

Fuck yer day = have a nice day, I love you, have fun

Go drink some water = STFU/ fuck off
"It's impossible." said pride.
"It's risky." said experience.
"It's pointless." said reason.
"Give it a try." whispered the heart.
Herring

Postby incubus_pantomime » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:32 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:FUCK YOU, VIRGIN!

(will someone please PM her and let her know i'm just kidding and that i love her and hope she has the best damn burn, EVER. thanks)

I totally get the sarcasm here, just FYI. :wink:

By the way, Simon, this may sound strange, but I'm dying to ask...is your avatar a picture of you, or the late great Frank Zappa? Because I cannot tell, and I just wanted to know if you were a fan of his. Would like to meet someone on the playa who appreciates the man who told the great story of Nanook (among many others).

To everyone else that has chimed in, thank you so much for the kind words. Being a burgin, I have no reference point for BM but ePlaya, and I need to take a step back from time to time and realize that the internet turns us all into crabby curmudgeons (say that five times fast!) I'm reading, I'm learning, and I love you all in that weird way "teh internets" allow. :D
incubus_pantomime

Postby lemur » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:45 pm

no that isnt him

this is:

Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby ygmir » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:47 pm

incubus_pantomime wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:FUCK YOU, VIRGIN!

I totally get the sarcasm here, just FYI. :wink:

By the way, Simon, this may sound strange, but I'm dying to ask...is your avatar a picture of you, or the late great Frank Zappa? Because I cannot tell, and I just wanted to know if you were a fan of his. Would like to meet someone on the playa who appreciates the man who told the great story of Nanook (among many others).

I did post a reference, earlier, to not eating snow, "where the Huskies go".........

To everyone else that has chimed in, thank you so much for the kind words. Being a burgin, I have no reference point for BM but ePlaya, and I need to take a step back from time to time and realize that the internet turns us all into crabby curmudgeons (say that five times fast!) I'm reading, I'm learning, and I love you all in that weird way "teh internets" allow. :D
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby tamarakay » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:46 pm

Ken and I wanted to check out Flipside and do a trial run of dye with dignity, but I have a grandson due right around then so, out the window went those plans. However, even though ken and I won't be there to hug your neck, I strongly urge you to go.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby gyre » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:08 pm

I'm sure there are plenty of Zappanistas around here.
gyre

Postby Killbuck » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:10 am

I must harken back to what BB Sue said. We were all burgins, newbees once.

When she and I started our theme camp APOKILIPTIKA in 2005, we had in our first year, 28 burners. All but three were newbees... and every one of them were 100% awesome. In fact, that camp STILL is the benchmark for awesome. Since then, those newbees have gone off to form their own theme camps and art projects.... I could go on.

I was a newbee-burgin in 2003.

We all started that way.

I live what I learned in 2003-2004 and since...and make into 52 weeks, 365 days.

I turned the camp command over to BB Sue this year, and I know she will, and they will do an awesome job.

I needed to take a break- go off with my sweetie and see BM as I did when I was new... a burgin.... like the first time.

I hope all of you, new to BM will see, as I know you will, that this idea, this place is not it's history, or what it was last year or even ten years ago when i first saw it.... but something always new. Maybe this is the kick in the ass the event... and we the "vet" burners have been needing.

Remember folks, it's the other 51 weeks. If you live for that one other week alone.... you are not yet living your life.

That... is the point.
SIDESHOW: Carnival of Smoke and Mirrors 2015 is looking for drop-in performers!! Do you have a freaky talent, skill or characteristic? Do you lay on a bed of nails, or swallow swords? PM me if interested.
Killbuck

Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby Killbuck » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:52 am

But also... if any of you new folks need any help, APOKILIPTIKA is ready...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SIDESHOW: Carnival of Smoke and Mirrors 2015 is looking for drop-in performers!! Do you have a freaky talent, skill or characteristic? Do you lay on a bed of nails, or swallow swords? PM me if interested.
Killbuck

Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby quadraspleen » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:00 am

Kernul Killbuck wrote:But also... if any of you new folks need any help, APOKILIPTIKA is ready...

LOL..I'm sure I saw some State Troopers wearing some of that shit at Robot Heart last year...Not sourced from APOKOLIPTIKA, obv :)
I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed

Enough is too little...Too much is enough...
quadraspleen

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: The Corner of Shady & Wrong

Postby hotmess » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:06 am

Herring wrote:On the playa:

Fuck yer day = have a nice day, I love you, have fun

Go drink some water = STFU/ fuck off

Hahahahahahaha your totally right. Go blow a rattle snack!
hotmess

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Kamp Krusty

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:16 am

actually that is me but i was zapped in 1987...helluva show.
fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby gyre » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:27 pm

Check out Zappa in the film - Head, 1967.
gyre

Next

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion