Dear BMORG: Please publish who is getting the 10,000 ticket

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Dear BMORG: Please publish who is getting the 10,000 tic

Postby some seeing eye » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:12 pm

The American value system is completely wrapped around the Christian values of right and wrong (self righteousness), truth and absolutism. Even on eplaya. Social media has brought unprecedented voyeurism. So transparency is in the vogue. How often do we hear, "I'm entitled to transparency".

But if you had the information how would you ACT on it?

BM has enough tribal and subtribal elements, that the ticket scarcity coupled with "transparency" could unleash a Lord of the Flies.

If you want to know who got tickets, just observe who is nice and awesome to you at the event. That's all good for me.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby SpacemanSpliff » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:22 pm

I'd just like to say that I think most people don't realize quite how many camps are getting tickets. At the meeting where they announced this, someone asked if 500 was a decent guess, and they (Harley Dubois) said it was. That's roughly half of the registered theme camps out there. Want to know who won't get tickets? I think I have a guess. All of those sound camps with a 50,000 watts constantly playing to no one? Bars that are only open to the public for one or two parties the whole week? Longstanding mostly residential camps that don't really have much interactivity? Camps that do nothing but host a single event or two all week? Camps that follow a strict formula for a theme camp (say, bar/dome) with no real creativity or uniqueness? Camps that, for one reason or another, have caused problems (red on the MOOP map, constant problems with police, violence, pissing off neighbors)? I think we can all agree that those categories knock out a significant number of theme camps. Certainly at least 50% of sound camps.

As for who's to say which dubstep camp is better than another? I think the crowds do every year. And it's not all about placement—Nexus drew crowds even when it was back on E, and the Space Elevator usually had crowds even on the outer ring. But for each packed LSSC, there's another playing to open desert. We've already voted on which is better, and don't think the placer for 10:00 and 2:00 hasn't noticed.
"No, dude, I'm not going to kiss the cat. You people are sick. I'm outta here."
SpacemanSpliff

Postby Lassen Forge » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:27 pm

Here's what I want you to do.

Pay $400 for a ticket. Then WORK the entire burn. Do NOT look at the art, do NOT go to the music camps, do NOT get drunk/stoned/lit up the entire week. Don't go somewhere in fear you'll get dosed. Wear a uniform that makes you stand out like a beacon, and have everyone come up to you to solve their disasters on playa like "Where's the Jots?", "Find someone with a cart so I can get a ride to my camp a block away", "What do you mean you can't give me free Oxycontin?", "Can you get me out of this beef I have with BLM?", or my favorite, "Can you sneak me inside the exclusion zone for the Burn? I'll give you some dope..." . Work 12-24 hour days with that kind of stuff. Oh, yeah, do that for the week before and the week after the gig. Yeah, PAY to go to your job, get no thanks, and then have somebody whine about it. No, tell them "You should pay to miss the fucking burn, because it fucks with my sense of entitlement".

Better yet - why don't YOU go and fucking volunteer, instead of dissing those of us who usually work 2 or 3 departments to make sure YOU can do the fucking burn.

Jeez... this yuppie entitlement shit is SO not burnerish... FUCK!
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby H.G.Crosby » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:29 pm

SpacemanSpliff wrote:I'd just like to say that I think most people don't realize quite how many camps are getting tickets. At the meeting where they announced this, someone asked if 500 was a decent guess, and they (Harley Dubois) said it was. That's roughly half of the registered theme camps out there. Want to know who won't get tickets? I think I have a guess. All of those sound camps with a 50,000 watts constantly playing to no one? Bars that are only open to the public for one or two parties the whole week? Longstanding mostly residential camps that don't really have much interactivity? Camps that do nothing but host a single event or two all week? Camps that follow a strict formula for a theme camp (say, bar/dome) with no real creativity or uniqueness? Camps that, for one reason or another, have caused problems (red on the MOOP map, constant problems with police, violence, pissing off neighbors)? I think we can all agree that those categories knock out a significant number of theme camps. Certainly at least 50% of sound camps.

As for who's to say which dubstep camp is better than another? I think the crowds do every year. And it's not all about placement—Nexus drew crowds even when it was back on E, and the Space Elevator usually had crowds even on the outer ring. But for each packed LSSC, there's another playing to open desert.
We've already voted on which is better, and don't think the placer for 10:00 and 2:00 hasn't noticed.

Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™
H.G.Crosby

Postby Killbuck » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:10 pm

Now that'll get you tossing in your sleep!!!!

SIDESHOW: Carnival of Smoke and Mirrors 2015 is looking for drop-in performers!! Do you have a freaky talent, skill or characteristic? Do you lay on a bed of nails, or swallow swords? PM me if interested.
Killbuck

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby Rice » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:11 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:Here's what I want you to do.

Pay $400 for a ticket. Then WORK the entire burn. Do NOT look at the art, do NOT go to the music camps, do NOT get drunk/stoned/lit up the entire week. Don't go somewhere in fear you'll get dosed. Wear a uniform that makes you stand out like a beacon, and have everyone come up to you to solve their disasters on playa like "Where's the Jots?", "Find someone with a cart so I can get a ride to my camp a block away", "What do you mean you can't give me free Oxycontin?", "Can you get me out of this beef I have with BLM?", or my favorite, "Can you sneak me inside the exclusion zone for the Burn? I'll give you some dope..." . Work 12-24 hour days with that kind of stuff. Oh, yeah, do that for the week before and the week after the gig. Yeah, PAY to go to your job, get no thanks, and then have somebody whine about it. No, tell them "You should pay to miss the fucking burn, because it fucks with my sense of entitlement".

Better yet - why don't YOU go and fucking volunteer, instead of dissing those of us who usually work 2 or 3 departments to make sure YOU can do the fucking burn.

Too true!!

Oh, don't forget the constant criticism for not wearing a costume when off-duty. (I love being called a tourist on my 18th day @ BRC!)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby alt12 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:21 pm

Love the personal insults and attacks based on absolutely no information whatsoever. More please.

Guess what, I've done it. I've worked the whole week (not volunteering before and after the event, I'll grant you that) but I've come a week early to set-up the camp worked on art project weeks before and then volunteered almost every day a shift for the week then staid extra to tear down camp unload art project back in the city, etc.). In fact I've so over-committed in years past that I've had to drop out of volunteer departments because I can't work on a massive art project, run a theme camp and volunteer all week and not fall apart (i've learned this from trial and error). I'm guessing from your own comments probably in the same departments, maybe we've overlapped in the past. I actually had no complaints about volunteering. I have enjoyed it tremendously, just a matter of how much time I have and how responsibilities I can take-on during my "vacation."

Don'e give me this burner than thou crap. I love how simply asking questions generates so much vindictive vitriol and hostility. I am simply asking for private information to be made public. Jesus, how far up the ass of the ORG do you have to be to get so defensive about that.
alt12

Postby alt12 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:23 pm

some seeing eye wrote:The American value system is completely wrapped around the Christian values of right and wrong (self righteousness), truth and absolutism. Even on eplaya. Social media has brought unprecedented voyeurism. So transparency is in the vogue. How often do we hear, "I'm entitled to transparency".

But if you had the information how would you ACT on it?

BM has enough tribal and subtribal elements, that the ticket scarcity coupled with "transparency" could unleash a Lord of the Flies.

If you want to know who got tickets, just observe who is nice and awesome to you at the event. That's all good for me.

I don't think there would be anything to act-on but I think it helps keep the ORG honest quite frankly. I mean why publish After Burn report??? Why public the census? Why publish the BM expenses every year on the website? Why publish anything at all, I mean no one is doing anything with the information....
alt12

Postby International Incident » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:26 pm

stretch80 wrote:

Too true!!

Oh, don't forget the constant criticism for not wearing a costume when off-duty. (I love being called a tourist on my 18th day @ BRC!)

Yup... glad to see the BMorg making sure that credit goes (and tickets flow) to the people that run the infrastructure that make BM possible. You can have all the camps and art cars (that are often exclusive anyway) you want - but if you don’t have the crew that keeps the event going (and out of trouble), DMV, DPW, GPE, Artica, Rangers, jots peeps, etc, etc etc then it wouldn’t be much of a burn would it?

And no I’m not a personal beneficiary of the decision to re-allocate the 10,000, as I am ticketed, but I, like all the rest of us are beneficiaries of the volunteers that make the damn city work.
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby 5280MeV » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:28 pm

Kernul Killbuck wrote:I'm trying to figure out how to create a "Periodic Table of Not Well Thought Out Paranoid BM Ticket Conspiracies" but... It's gonna end up looking like Quantum Mechanics...

Please start with the standard model chart:

http://astronomyonline.org/ViewImage.as ... l.jpg&Cpt=
5280MeV

Postby vargaso » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:39 pm

alt12 wrote:

Love the personal insults and attacks based on absolutely no information whatsoever. More please.

Guess what, I've done it. I've worked the whole week (not volunteering before and after the event, I'll grant you that) but I've come a week early to set-up the camp worked on art project weeks before and then volunteered almost every day a shift for the week then staid extra to tear down camp unload art project back in the city, etc.). In fact I've so over-committed in years past that I've had to drop out of volunteer departments because I can't work on a massive art project, run a theme camp and volunteer all week and not fall apart (i've learned this from trial and error). I'm guessing from your own comments probably in the same departments, maybe we've overlapped in the past. I actually had no complaints about volunteering. I have enjoyed it tremendously, just a matter of how much time I have and how responsibilities I can take-on during my "vacation."

Don'e give me this burner than thou crap. I love how simply asking questions generates so much vindictive vitriol and hostility. I am simply asking for private information to be made public. Jesus, how far up the ass of the ORG do you have to be to get so defensive about that.

Many here on eplaya are world-class ass-spelunkers, as I'm sure you've noticed.
vargaso

Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby alt12 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:42 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:

2 departments in on week, yup that is me. Already done it, thank you for very much.

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:Jeez... this yuppie entitlement shit is SO not burnerish... FUCK![/color][/b]

You're the one who sounds entitled here and you are also making a lot of assumptions based no information whatsoever. It seems from what you're saying that YOU feel entitled because of the labor you put in. I put in just as much labor and feel entitled to no special treatment. I think the gravy train is unnecessary. It is my entire point not supporting this diversion of tickets form the main sale.

The only "handout" I am asking for is transparency. I don't want any special treatment for my work but from your comments its pretty clear that you do.

Hope we end-up on shift together! You sound like a real barrel of laughs....
alt12

Postby The CO » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:50 pm

alt12 wrote:I am simply asking for private information to be made public.

Maybe that is what people are taking offense with.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Postby lemur » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:01 pm

alt12 wrote:

in the spirit of transparency i would like to know:

which volunteer dept(s) you are speaking about in this post
how many shift(s) total you worked (with a year by year breakdown)
how many years you worked with that dept (or other departments)

and if you could:

clearly delineate the parts of this post where youre speaking about volunteering within the burning man infrastructure and when youre talking about theme camps or art projects. (i.e.. did you stay extra to tear down a theme camp you were involved in or an infrastructure dept camp?)

also, do you have a ticket.. if so, how did you get it?
in the past i would also like to know how you got all of your previous tickets

i think in the spirit of full disclosure and transparency knowing all of this would help us understand where youre coming from
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Rice » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:20 pm

alt12 wrote:The only "handout" I am asking for is transparency. I don't want any special treatment for my work but from your comments its pretty clear that you do.

When you put it like that. It is certainly a reasonable question. I am a bit curious as to where the 10K tickets are going.

Hmm, "burnier-than-thou" -- I guess I was. I'm thinking i need to start waiting 24hrs before responding to anything in eplaya again. Might make me sound less stupid.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby ranger magnum » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:03 pm

The org should absolutely not publish who gets tickets. What possible good could come from that knowledge? But I could absolutely see a camp get harrased, or mv get vandalised by a particicpant(s) who was angry that their camp or friend did not receive a ticket. The safety of a few outweighs the wants of many.
Praise the Lowered
ranger magnum

Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Postby trilobyte » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:07 pm

Well said, Ranger Magnum.

The only handout of information you should expect to receive is that the remaining tickets will be dispersed among the groups mentioned in the blog post.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby mdmf007 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:22 pm

Its a private event - they dont even have to sell the remaining tickets if they want. 2012 is leaving a sour taste in a lot of mouths. But no matter how or who was running it - the fact is there are not enough tix to go around.

MDMF
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Camp Name: ESD

Postby Canoe » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:30 pm

Boy did I ever mis-read the Subject of this topic.

I thought it was "who is getting the 10,000th ticket".

I was wondering what the prize was...
  • A Personal Sparkle Pony?
  • An hour in the Petting Zoo?
  • Daily 10 minute Shower Privileges?
  • For two?
  • A Sparkle Pony make-over?
  • For two?
  • An hour or a dozen pairs of jeans, which ever comes first, running an air cannon on an art car patrolling the perimeter of the family section?
  • An unlimited Art Car pass?
  • A rickshaw tour of the playa art?
  • A unlimited pass to Token Tony's 'Shroom-Absinthe Bar? (sorry, made up, doesn't exist, these aren't the droids you're looking for...)
  • A daily wake-up call a half-hour before sunrise for your daily group jog to the Temple Sunrise Service and Yoga Retreat?
  • After crawling home from the nightly 3:00 A.M. Deep-Playa Tequila Toga party? (sorry, made up, maybe...)
  • ???
Probably not. Probably just a boring ticket upgrade to the VIP Package: Actual front-row center of section 1, Alcohol-free shaded seating with a/c in chair, Artist meet and greet, Includes unlimited food & drinks (beer, wine, liquor & electrolyte), Parking Pass with Valet Parking (& free Art-Car Makeover - what, you didn't read the fine print?), with Complementary Friday & Saturday Concierge service in Deep Playa (can you find it?)

Oh oh. Did I say that out loud?
Must have been my evil twin.
Highway to Hell. Stairway to Heaven.Traffic prediction?
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby socks » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:29 pm

We all need to know the protected class in our community so we can pay Tribute.The Unwashed masses must know.
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence
socks

Postby International Incident » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:50 pm

socks wrote:We all need to know the protected class in our community so we can pay Tribute.The Unwashed masses must know.

Hey socks, I’ve got an idea. If you don’t like how tickets are being allocated and if you are unhappy because you can’t see a list then just don’t bother with BM. No one is holding a gun to your head and making you attend or making you participate.

Bye, bye

I’m sure you can find something else to channel all your energy in to.
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:02 pm

engineerbender wrote:weld your own art. better start now. A group of 100 to 200 with a large art car project has only 15 people with tickets then time. Suck it.

It's a damn cinch that there's no way for me to ride this art car...
(If it is in existence, that is...)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby mshaman » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:05 pm

So if we need to protect the preferred 10,000 from an angry mob by not naming them, and we want some transparency/accountability, why not publish the criteria by which the camps were chosen?

That way we can see what kinds of camps that the BMOrg values, and see that there were in fact specific criteria other than nepotism. It would go a long way toward restoring faith in the leadership, and to helping those camps which were not hand-picked in this process (including mine) learn how to improve their "value" to the org so that we fare better in the future.
The road of life is littered with flat squirrels who couldn't decide.
mshaman

Postby EspressoDude » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:08 pm

socks wrote:We all need to know the protected class in our community so we can pay Tribute.The Unwashed masses must know.

read as "Unwashed ASSES must know"
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby The CO » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:24 pm

mshaman wrote:why not publish the criteria by which the camps were chosen?

They've already done so. It is in multiple places here and on the main site.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Postby Savannah » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:35 pm

Indeed, there are 4 main criteria, cleverly hidden here . . .

http://blog.burningman.com/2012/02/news ... city-2012/
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Rice » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:45 pm

EspressoDude wrote: read as "Unwashed ASSES must know"

There is a difference?? :shock:
Love Rice

Rice

Postby Mosquitopilate » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:04 am

If anyone knows who should get tickets it should be the vets or bmorg yes they had a big set back this year but they are not going to mess this up by picking who gets the 10,000 tix
Twitter - @BurnPlayaMan E-Mail - Mosquitopilate@yahoo.com Image
Thanks to all that made BM 2012 great. You people are the best on planet earth )'( )'( )'(
Mosquitopilate

Burning Since: 2001

Postby glitter-mouse » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:29 am

Mosquitopilate wrote:but they are not going to mess this up by picking who gets the 10,000 tix

this will be my second year and i'd be much happier without the 10k tickets going to veterans. the veterans stand in the way the evolution of BM. so giving the tickets out selectively to these people is tampering with the natural process.

we only really need the paid staff out there to layout the city and put the portapotties in position and then clean everything up in the end.

everything else is superfluous - except the Man, and i wouldn't mind seeing him back on blocks of hay. i've seen pics from back the man-on-hay days and they looked cooler than putting him on a big tall structure. i say, get rid of the cranky more-burning-man-than-thou crowd - let them start their own festival. leave room for new blood. we'll make BM into what it's supposed to be NOW, not then. that's evolution.

the art installations are TOO BIG! everyone just stands in line and gawks at them. smaller is better. quality over quantity and mass.

and don't tell me about all the other essential needs that can only be met by veteran participants. those essential needs can be met by the new blood, or those services can be handled by professionals who should paid by the BMorg.

fewer veterans and their egos out there is all for the better.
glitter-mouse

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:06 am

we have egos because we've been there done that fucked this up burned that by mistake and quite frankly WE ARE MORE EXPERIENCED than a newb or a Birgin.

it is us who you come crying to.

it is us who protect you.

it is us who build this city, and with your help, sustain it into the future.

i suppose you are of the mind set to shoot grandma. because she talks too much and is taking up precious space and utilizing resources and her carbon footprint is too large.

well whippersnapper, sit down shut the fuck up and listen to your elders, one day you will DEMAND the same respect.

BTW, Fuck yer day.
Rated East Coast Fucko, this by no means represents BM or its org...its just some crotchety old fuck

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion