Dear BMORG: Please publish who is getting the 10,000 ticket

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Dear BMORG: Please publish who is getting the 10,000 tic

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:45 am

you play your way.

i am the aspberger Ann Landers, and i dont give a shit, i'll eat anything.
fuck you, it's magic

it's not a fucking festival, it's a PROJECT.

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:47 am

glitter-mouse wrote:we only really need the paid staff out there to layout the city and put the portapotties in position and then clean everything up in the end.

On the odd chance that no one else corrects the sparklemouse, dpw, who lays out the city and does the clean up, is unpaid.
Those people who work for United Site Services not only put out the porto-potties, but pick them up at the end of the week, they also Clean Them Out Three Times A Day.
Actually, she puts forth one of the few good arguments for the heavy inclusion of veterans I've run across--if someone who's been there before is so clueless as to how the city works, then how much more ignorant are the total newbs going to be?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:48 am

game.set.match.

Crypto.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby alt12 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:27 am

glitter-mouse wrote:the veterans are some of the worst moop offenders. especially those ridiculously large esplanade camps that are responsible for tons of moop. there will always be moop no matter what, and there is a simple process of paying people to clean it up.

I'm calling troll-post on this. This poster has 100% of the critical elements of a troll post. I am surprised that you veteran eplayers are falling for this crap... Let's see brand-new playa account? Check. All posts thus far only related to this flame-war? Check. Attack of sacred burning man of notions? Check. Made sure to state that poster is has only been going for 2 years for added offensiveness? Check. Filled with ludicrous statements that are universally known to be false such as paid-staff clean up after event? Check.

Piss-off old-timers? 100% check.

This is probably Simon arguing with his alter-ego on here purely for comedic effect....

bravo, well done....
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Postby alt12 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:40 am

wh..sh wrote:
Come and talk to me when you build a stylish 3rd storey shower where I could shower while viewing the entire BRC.

Holy shit was that you/your crew that built that elevated show platform on 2:00 last year? Loved it! I don't know what kind of view you had from up there, but trust me our view of all of you showering was awesome!
Last edited by alt12 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
alt12

Postby lemur » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:43 am

my bets are that it is alt12.

too soon man, shoulda let it breath a bit more.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby glitter-mouse » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:45 am

The CO wrote:If the borg doesn't want old veteran theme camps there, then why are they making tickets available to old veteran theme camps?

those 10k tickets aren't going to veterans in the normal sense. they're going to friends of the people who work with the BMorg. while they may be veterans, they're moreover the new class of burner. they're the chosen ones. the term 'veteran' doesn't really do them justice. they've proven to the BMorg that they are better than other burners - the elite - the cool kids - they're what burning man is all about.

they may build theme camps or not. it's just enough to be one of them and they can identify amongst themselves with some kind of secret signal. everyone will want to be them.

that's why i'd rather see those 10k more new attendees like the 80% of tickets already sold.
glitter-mouse

Postby The CO » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:47 am

Ok, who let the secret handshake slip?
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby BBadger » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:53 am

The damn Burning Man Bourgeoisie is always keeping the camp proletariat down.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby glitter-mouse » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:54 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
glitter-mouse wrote:dpw, who lays out the city and does the clean up, is unpaid.

the ones i know get paid. that's how they afford to go out there and keep their filthy apartments and disgusting dogs fed back in the city.
glitter-mouse

Postby AntiM » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:56 am

glitter-mouse wrote:
The CO wrote:If the borg doesn't want old veteran theme camps there, then why are they making tickets available to old veteran theme camps?

those 10k tickets aren't going to veterans in the normal sense. they're going to friends of the people who work with the BMorg. while they may be veterans, they're moreover the new class of burner. they're the chosen ones. the term 'veteran' doesn't really do them justice. they've proven to the BMorg that they are better than other burners - the elite - the cool kids - they're what burning man is all about.

they may build theme camps or not. it's just enough to be one of them and they can identify amongst themselves with some kind of secret signal. everyone will want to be them.

that's why i'd rather see those 10k more new attendees like the 80% of tickets already sold.

Wow.

I guess my 11 years and my small art project giving away art just aren't cool enough for you. I should have left all that MOOP I picked up on the ground. I shouldn't have worn any type of costume or brought stuff to share or volunteered, because a paid staff would make your candy-ass party that much better. Glitter my ass.

So, which art car denied you a ride? Which bat wouldn't serve you a drink? Who told you to pick up your shit? Who yelled at you for MOOPy glitter or feathers? Because you sound as though you had a very negative experience. Care to share?
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Gorillex » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:02 pm

The 10K tickets are going to the camps that PROMOTE THE BURNING MAN BRAND AND KEEP IT VIABLE. Thats it.

ITS A BUSINESS

7 million in payroll last year.

BM "Corporation" has an EXTREMELY marketable brand that they intend to keep as strong as possible. It's not about community, its not about tenets, its not about playa spirit. ITS ABOUT MONEY

ITS A BUSINESS

7 million in payroll last year

ITS A BUSINESS
Gorillex

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:04 pm

So that's why the llc sells $1000 tickets...

Now, if we only had a reason for why you're cross-posting...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby lemur » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:09 pm

dude, if burning man wanted to rake in the cash they could just use the BONNAROO model.

for reals.. look through their website, they gouge the fuck out of people
!!!

nickle and diming all the way!!

"VIP TICKETS" (really, they sell them)
"RV PASSES" (really they sell them)

...for reals man!! its awesome, just go through their entire site and see how much they charge for stuff!!!

BURNING MAN COULD BE MAKING A SHITLOAD OF CASH AND THEY ARENT.

people pay for that shit at bonnaroo, surely theyd do it for burning man..

thank god that larry isnt in it for the money!
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby ygmir » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:10 pm

who called it a page ago?

ygmir wrote:
glitter-mouse wrote:
Roberto Dobbisano wrote:where you are supposed to clean up your OWN mouse shit, not the paid professionals...

the veterans are some of the worst moop offenders. especially those ridiculously large esplanade camps that are responsible for tons of moop. there will always be moop no matter what, and there is a simple process of paying people to clean it up.

gotta be a sock.........no, no really.......no one who's read anything about TTITD, would be this "trollish"..............

and, if as stated you are a guy, I'd suggest you calm down, and do some reading and learning. Maybe, to out in the jack yard, and back off for a while, until you understand.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Gorillex » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:21 pm

lemur wrote:dude, if burning man wanted to rake in the cash they could just use the BONNAROO model.

for reals.. look through their website, they gouge the fuck out of people
!!!

nickle and diming all the way!!

"VIP TICKETS" (really, they sell them)
"RV PASSES" (really they sell them)

...for reals man!! its awesome, just go through their entire site and see how much they charge for stuff!!!

BURNING MAN COULD BE MAKING A SHITLOAD OF CASH AND THEY ARENT.

people pay for that shit at bonnaroo, surely theyd do it for burning man..

thank god that larry isnt in it for the money!

BONAROO/COACHELLA/ETC provide services with their ticket. Not only do they have to set up large festival cities e.g. Burning Man, they pay millions for world class performance aritists, artwork, and all sorts of related services. BM INCORPORATED sets up a few portapotties in a desert and charges as much/more than these other festivals. And they have sold you on this noncorpororate BRAND that you market for them FREE OF CHANGE. ITS A BUSINESS and AN EXTREMELY SUCCESSFUL ONE.

It's a BUSINESS.
Gorillex

Postby ZaphodBurner » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:24 pm

EspressoDude wrote:alt: how is the org to 'evaluate' which of the 500+ bars or which of the 50+ DJ camps is worthy? Totally subjective. Whose dubstep is better than someone else's? Is a camp that plays Lawrence Welk more worthy than one that plays The Doors and Rolling Stones?

It might be a camp that has several years on record of showing up on time, cleaning up their trash, cooperating with the org (or the rangers, or the police, or the city), submitting a camp plan to which they actually adhere...

...our virgin year, my wife and I joined a camp and sweated over costumes and booze acquisition for our camp's "theme bar" only to discover that they didn't even bother to bring their costumes or the bar. They just said all that shit to get killer placement. The several virgin burners didn't stick around because they didn't feel welcome; you'd hang out at the burn barrel and absolutely none of the veterans would acknowledge you were there. On the way out, after watching a couple nearly beat the piss out of each other 'cause their vehicle wouldn't start, my wife and I decided we had to come back and do it right. We created a camp, invited a bunch of people, and swore to ourselves we would live up to our camp promises.

That should be worth something. We're not part of the BRC in-crowd since we can't come every year, so, we'll probably not get to go this year either. But, if the camps that get the tickets participate and contribute more than we do, they should get them.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby Rice » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:25 pm

Gorillex wrote:
BONAROO/COACHELLA/ETC provide services with their ticket. Not only do they have to set up large festival cities e.g. Burning Man, they pay millions for world class performance aritists, artwork, and all sorts of related services. BM INCORPORATED sets up a few portapotties in a desert and charges as much/more than these other festivals. And they have sold you on this noncorpororate BRAND that you market for them FREE OF CHANGE. ITS A BUSINESS and AN EXTREMELY SUCCESSFUL ONE.

It's a BUSINESS.

Burning Man is a business. It has paid staff that plan and manage the event all year.

What is your fucking problem?

If you really hate it that much, close your account and just walk away...
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby ygmir » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:28 pm

ZaphodBurner wrote:
EspressoDude wrote:alt: how is the org to 'evaluate' which of the 500+ bars or which of the 50+ DJ camps is worthy? Totally subjective. Whose dubstep is better than someone else's? Is a camp that plays Lawrence Welk more worthy than one that plays The Doors and Rolling Stones?

It might be a camp that has several years on record of showing up on time, cleaning up their trash, cooperating with the org (or the rangers, or the police, or the city), submitting a camp plan to which they actually adhere...

...our virgin year, my wife and I joined a camp and sweated over costumes and booze acquisition for our camp's "theme bar" only to discover that they didn't even bother to bring their costumes or the bar. They just said all that shit to get killer placement. The several virgin burners didn't stick around because they didn't feel welcome; you'd hang out at the burn barrel and absolutely none of the veterans would acknowledge you were there. On the way out, after watching a couple nearly beat the piss out of each other 'cause their vehicle wouldn't start, my wife and I decided we had to come back and do it right. We created a camp, invited a bunch of people, and swore to ourselves we would live up to our camp promises.

That should be worth something. We're not part of the BRC in-crowd since we can't come every year, so, we'll probably not get to go this year either. But, if the camps that get the tickets participate and contribute more than we do, they should get them.

good for you, ZB!! and good on ya, for not giving up, or falling into your original camps attitude.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby remi » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:12 pm

Sorry if this has already been answered.. I've got the flu and only came on to find this one answer out.

Will they be publishing which theme camps/art they've saved? I don't want to know how many tickets they gave to each camp/artist, nor do don't care to know who ends up with the ticket. I just want to know which theme camp or art installation they saved. Which theme camp or piece of art they believe BM couldn't do without. I mean this in a positive way. I want really would love to see them publish the locations of these so I can check them out. I think it would be cool.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby BBadger » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:16 pm

remi wrote:Sorry if this has already been answered.. I've got the flu and only came on to find this one answer out.

Will they be publishing which theme camps/art they've saved? I don't want to know how many tickets they gave to each camp/artist, nor do don't care to know who ends up with the ticket. I just want to know which theme camp or art installation they saved. Which theme camp or piece of art they believe BM couldn't do without. I mean this in a positive way. I want really would love to see them publish the locations of these so I can check them out. I think it would be cool.

Not known. We'll find out in some future JRS or something.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby remi » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:18 pm

BBadger wrote:
remi wrote:Sorry if this has already been answered.. I've got the flu and only came on to find this one answer out.

Not known. We'll find out in some future JRS or something.

Thanks.. I've subscribed to the JRS newsletter.. so I'll just play the waiting game. Can't wait for summer!
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby Rice » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:20 pm

stretch80 wrote:
Gorillex wrote:

It's a BUSINESS.

Gee, Gorillex - thanks for the PM with the same "stuff" you have been spamming all over the board. I have no problem discussing this on the forum.

I know the Burning Man LLC is a business and have no problem with that.

I am curious as to what exactly you find wrong with Burning Man LLC being a business?? It is not like anyone has kept this a secret. From what I know, it greatly simplifies the dealings with BLM and protects the board members from getting sued when some fool falls into a fire.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:25 pm

keep their filthy apartments and disgusting dogs fed back in the city.

ding ding ding ding...

we have 100% confirmation of trolldom....origin most likely camp tipsy, source, chicken john.

well played sir, well played.
fuck you, it's magic

it's not a fucking festival, it's a PROJECT.

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Burnerbot » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:56 pm

Decommodification
In order to preserve the spirit of gifting, our community seeks to create social environments that are unmediated by commercial sponsorships, transactions, or advertising. We stand ready to protect our culture from such exploitation. We resist the substitution of consumption for participatory experience.
~Burning Man Principle 3

Isn't Burning Man turning the art installations, theme camps, etc. into commodities by setting aside 10,000 tickets for them? Whereby the art projects and theme camps are the commodity and the price of the ticket is the price you pay to experience them.
Burnerbot

Postby Eric » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:26 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:
keep their filthy apartments and disgusting dogs fed back in the city.

ding ding ding ding...

we have 100% confirmation of trolldom....origin most likely camp tipsy, source, chicken john.

well played sir, well played.

Absolute trolldom. Though I'm with Alt- I just caught up with todays action & had it figured out by post #2, I'm kind of surprised they weren't called out earlier. (though they get serious Troll Bonus Points for the glitter-makeup avatar)
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Killbuck » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:45 pm

The CO wrote:Ok, who let the secret handshake slip?

SIDESHOW: Carnival of Smoke and Mirrors 2015 is looking for drop-in performers!! Do you have a freaky talent, skill or characteristic? Do you lay on a bed of nails, or swallow swords? PM me if interested.
Killbuck

Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby Killbuck » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:46 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SIDESHOW: Carnival of Smoke and Mirrors 2015 is looking for drop-in performers!! Do you have a freaky talent, skill or characteristic? Do you lay on a bed of nails, or swallow swords? PM me if interested.
Killbuck

Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby moonrise » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:07 pm

glitter-mouse wrote:

kinda like when the Mv's suspect of being narcs are tagged or other crap like that.

if this is true at all (and i really don't care either way) wouldn''t it be cooler if one of the chosen/elite were cool enough to constanly leak out the secret signal and drive them all a bit nutz? :roll:
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby homo ardentum » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:30 pm

For those who are interested, i found this cross thread that is a rebroadcast of a meeting with the powers that be.

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=290&t=54359#p804714

The first 30 to 40 minutes is very enlightening. They have apparently already have chosen the camps who will be awarded tickets. However, these camps must apply in order to be granted tickets. The number of camps and tickets awarded remaining in flux, but they DID state that only about half of the camps will get some.
homo ardentum

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion