If I buy a STEP ticket, then cant go, I'm screwed?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

If I buy a STEP ticket, then cant go, I'm screwed?

Postby naugasnake » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:42 pm

Lets consider that for a moment...

Lets say you are one of countless Burners trying to make the event. Your boss says "Yeah, we might be able to give you the time off". So, you buy a ticket through the STEP program, and then, weeks before the event, work informs you that you can't take the time off. You are now out somewhere between $240 and $390! I hear about this happening every year with just my close group of friends. Trying to take a week off isn't exactly easy for many Burners.

At first it sounded like STEP was going to be viable for me, but of course like everything else this year ticket related there's a catch. One ticket per person on step, regardless if you wanted two or not? What about couples that registered for only two tickets because that's honestly what they needed? Now couples are forced to make a decision...which one gets to go, or perhaps neither? Calling this idea absurd feels like understating things a little. I think many Burners would agree, let people buy them in pairs on the STEP program, to let more couples go, rather than more singles. Making to burning man on your own is incredibly difficult. Going as a couple is far more common, and a hell of a lot easier. My girlfriend and I have been attending for 12 years. We've attended 12 years straight, together. We've helped run theme camps 8 of those 12, and assisted with the build on a art car as well. We moop our plot on a regular basis, and never ever leave a trace. We follow all of the rules of the event and even encourage others in our group to do the same by preparing newbies appropriately. At best we have a CHANCE at getting ONE ticket in the STEP program.

I urge the Burning Man organizers to reconsider the 1 ticket limit on STEP. Its ill conceived, and leaves a big question mark for those who attend Burning Man as couples as to weather or not they can still go. Frankly, I can't imaging going to Burning Man without my significant other. She is just as important to my enjoyment of the event as the event itself. Please, raise the limit to 2 tickets. It will be less work for the organizers, and Frankly those who attend as couples have a higher likelihood of contributing to the event.
naugasnake

Re: If I buy a STEP ticket, then cant go, I'm screwed?

Postby XnightmarekittenX » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:46 pm

naugasnake wrote:Lets consider that for a moment...

Lets say you are one of countless Burners trying to make the event. Your boss says "Yeah, we might be able to give you the time off". So, you buy a ticket through the STEP program, and then, weeks before the event, work informs you that you can't take the time off. You are now out somewhere between $240 and $390! I hear about this happening every year with just my close group of friends. Trying to take a week off isn't exactly easy for many Burners.

At first it sounded like STEP was going to be viable for me, but of course like everything else this year ticket related there's a catch. One ticket per person on step, regardless if you wanted two or not? What about couples that registered for only two tickets because that's honestly what they needed? Now couples are forced to make a decision...which one gets to go, or perhaps neither? Calling this idea absurd feels like understating things a little. I think many Burners would agree, let people buy them in pairs on the STEP program, to let more couples go, rather than more singles. Making to burning man on your own is incredibly difficult. Going as a couple is far more common, and a hell of a lot easier. My girlfriend and I have been attending for 12 years. We've attended 12 years straight, together. We've helped run theme camps 8 of those 12, and assisted with the build on a art car as well. We moop our plot on a regular basis, and never ever leave a trace. We follow all of the rules of the event and even encourage others in our group to do the same by preparing newbies appropriately. At best we have a CHANCE at getting ONE ticket in the STEP program.

I urge the Burning Man organizers to reconsider the 1 ticket limit on STEP. Its ill conceived, and leaves a big question mark for those who attend Burning Man as couples as to weather or not they can still go. Frankly, I can't imaging going to Burning Man without my significant other. She is just as important to my enjoyment of the event as the event itself. Please, raise the limit to 2 tickets. It will be less work for the organizers, and Frankly those who attend as couples have a higher likelihood of contributing to the event.
I agree.
It would also be nice if they didn't just limit it to the people who registered for the main sale chances are every camp that gets awarded some of the 10,000 tickets registered in the main sale, I on the other hand was too broke at the time to register for the two tickets I needed and was absolutely counting on the open sale or STEP both of which are no longer an option for me. So this tells me I should have registered even though I knew I would be rejected due to improper funds? Not to mention I would have registered for two which as you have also pointed out means that either me or my Bf would be ticketless even if we could use STEP. The last option seems to be low income but I can't even imagine how many people are trying that and what if we still only get one ticket between the two if us??
XnightmarekittenX

Postby naugasnake » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:50 pm

I see 2012 as being a record setting year for low income ticket requests. I also see it as being a record year for unqualified requests for low income tickets.
naugasnake

Postby XnightmarekittenX » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:52 pm

naugasnake wrote:I see 2012 as being a record setting year for low income ticket requests. I also see it as being a record year for unqualified requests for low income tickets.

Yeah, luckily for us we are pretty damn qualified lol. So I'm just hoping I stand a fighting chance among the other thousands of people trying.
XnightmarekittenX

Postby Trishntek » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:01 pm

My understanding for tickets purchased via STEP is BMorg will buy them back and resell them, for a nominal fee of course.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:41 pm

Eplaya posting and bong hits.. two great things that don't always go great together.

Your first paragraph and the rest of your post are completely disjointed. Oh noes.. you requested time off.. were awarded a ticket.. and now you can't go.. and now this is the evil BORGs fault because there is only one ticket per person allowed via STEP?

Uhhhhh.....
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby naugasnake » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:06 pm

I was making two different points.
naugasnake

Postby trilobyte » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:08 pm

If you get a ticket through STEP, then are unable to use it, you'd be able to use STEP to put it back into the system.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Theres Always One » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:19 pm

naugasnake wrote:Lets consider that for a moment...

But.....what if.....

You are the first person in line for STEP (CONGRATULATIONS!). But you don't know your place in line yet. All you are doing is waiting for the fantastic news that you are going home. Now a ticket has been made available through STEP. But only one ticket. You have requested two tickets. What are the people at the bmorg supposed to do? Wait another 1, 2, 3, 5, weeks for another ticket to show up so you and your lady can go together?

All the while this single ticket sits there waiting for its mate much like you and your lady wait for the news. What if the news comes too late and it could have gone to some crucial member or an art installation?

What if the first....say..... 25 people in STEP are requesting 2 tickets and the process continues to be repeated? I understand your pain and hear your story. 12 years a long time. But, isn't it a bit unfair to everyone else?
Theres Always One

Postby naugasnake » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:35 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Eplaya posting and bong hits.. two great things that don't always go great together.

Your first paragraph and the rest of your post are completely disjointed. Oh noes.. you requested time off.. were awarded a ticket.. and now you can't go.. and now this is the evil BORGs fault because there is only one ticket per person allowed via STEP?

Uhhhhh.....

They make no mention of a refund process in the STEP section of the latest JRS. In the very common scenario I laid out, where a burner finds out at the last minute that something is preventing them from attending the event, they cannot resell their ticket via STEP, nor can they get a refund. Thus, my second paragraph actually does serve to underscore the main point of my post, because it illustrates yet another issue with STEP.

If I would have known the grammar police was on patrol, I would have been more careful.

FYI, ellipses are three dots, not 2 or 4 as you used in your reply, nor should they be followed by a space. Certainly we can all agree that incorrectly using ellipses four times in a single paragraph is a poor idea.
naugasnake

Postby lemur » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:40 pm

naugasnake wrote:
FYI, ellipses are three dots, not 2 or 4 as you used in your reply, nor should they be followed by a space. Certainly we can all agree that incorrectly using ellipses four times in a single paragraph is a poor idea.

FYI YOU ARE NOW CONSIDERED THE SPELLING AND GRAMMER AMABASSADOR OF EPLAYA.. IF A MISTAKE GOES UNCORRECTED BY YOU WE WILL HOLD YOU DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE. PLEASE EXPECT TO BE EMAILED/PM'D ALL GRAMMER AND SPELLING MISTAKES AND ERRORS ON EPLAYA FROM NOW ON.. THANKS FOR VOLUNTERING FOR THIS IMPORTANT TASQUE
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:41 pm

Grammar nothing. I was commenting on your overall brain power.

(.....)
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby naugasnake » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:42 pm

Very well, I challenge you to a battle of wits.

junglesmacks wrote:Grammar nothing. I was commenting on your overall brain power.

(.....)
naugasnake

Postby trilobyte » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:51 pm

There are no refunds on STEP. It's not a ticket refund system, it's a ticket exchange system. If we were in a situation with more supply than demand, sellers with tickets would be queued waiting for buyers. That's probably not going to happen this year, instead it will be buyers waiting for tickets queued and waiting for sellers offering them for exchange - making it a pretty quick process for potential sellers to get money for their tickets.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby mshaman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:18 pm

trilobyte wrote:There are no refunds on STEP. It's not a ticket refund system, it's a ticket exchange system. If we were in a situation with more supply than demand, sellers with tickets would be queued waiting for buyers. That's probably not going to happen this year, instead it will be buyers waiting for tickets queued and waiting for sellers offering them for exchange - making it a pretty quick process for potential sellers to get money for their tickets.

True, but a ticket purchased through STEP is non-transferable, is it not? My hope is that they would be transferable only via STEP, but if I've read it right, that is not the case. I read the announcement as saying that they are absolutely non-transferable, that there is no putting a STEP ticket back into STEP. In which case, if you spend the $$ on a STEP ticket and discover you can't go you're SOL, yes? I hope I'm mistaken in that interpretation.
The road of life is littered with flat squirrels who couldn't decide.
mshaman

Postby Killbuck » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:03 pm

http://sideshow2014.weebly.com Bringing Sideshow back to the playa, and part of the Embrace Crew, 2014.
Killbuck

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby mdmf007 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:34 pm

Kernul Killbuck wrote:Image

Kernel - just curious whats the compounds attendance looking like this year?
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby trilobyte » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:42 pm

@mshaman - you are mistaken in your interpretation. It is non-transferrable in that you may not sell that on to another burner as you would a regular will-call ticket (regular will call can be transferred once fulfillment happens in June, either via support ticket or sending someone to the box office with a signed letter and photocopy of credentials).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby XnightmarekittenX » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:58 pm

trilobyte wrote:@mshaman - you are mistaken in your interpretation. It is non-transferrable in that you may not sell that on to another burner as you would a regular will-call ticket [i](regular will call can be transferred once fulfillment happens in June, either via support ticket or sending someone to the box office with a signed letter and photocopy of credentials)
do they mail out step tickets or are they only at will call?
XnightmarekittenX

Postby rubymermaid » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:04 pm

XnightmarekittenX wrote:do they mail out step tickets or are they only at will call?

burning man blog wrote:You may only purchase one ticket through STEP; this ticket is non-transferable and can only be held at Will Call. A STEP ticket is only for you. [ADDED 2/15/12: 9:18 PM PST: We recognize the one-per person will dramatically effect the plans and intentions of those who originally ordered 2 tickets and didn't scam the system with a back-up order and were then rejected. We WILL look at whether there is any breathing room to this policy before we engage the final implementation. However, this decision was reached with a significant number of dependent variables and won't be easy to change.]
rubymermaid

Postby XnightmarekittenX » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:19 pm

rubymermaid wrote:
XnightmarekittenX wrote:do they mail out step tickets or are they only at will call?

burning man blog wrote:You may only purchase one ticket through STEP; this ticket is non-transferable and can only be held at Will Call. A STEP ticket is only for you. [ADDED 2/15/12: 9:18 PM PST: We recognize the one-per person will dramatically effect the plans and intentions of those who originally ordered 2 tickets and didn't scam the system with a back-up order and were then rejected. We WILL look at whether there is any breathing room to this policy before we engage the final implementation. However, this decision was reached with a significant number of dependent variables and won't be easy to change.]

Ah ok I thought I read that but I didn't have time to go back and look
XnightmarekittenX

Postby Marscrumbs » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:54 am

Applications for low income tickets this year will first be screened by a a team of memopausal Jr. Highschool English teachers. Spelling errors, poor punctuation, and other red line offenses will send you immediately to the back of the pack.
Marscrumbs

Postby quadraspleen » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:21 am

Marscrumbs wrote:Applications for low income tickets this year will first be screened by a a team of memopausal Jr. Highschool English teachers. Spelling errors, poor punctuation, and other red line offenses will send you immediately to the back of the pack.

I think you'll find that's menopausal. Back you go...

Better luck next time :lol:

Shit, how do I put a space after an ellipsis at the end of a sentence? Help! EDIT: and I've missed a full stop (period, sorry) on the ellipsis on the end of my sig!! Oh My God!
I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed

Enough is too little...Too much is enough...
quadraspleen

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: The Corner of Shady & Wrong

Postby Meyoukey » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:20 pm

Welp. I'm boned for STEP as I used my husband's name and credit card to apply for the two tickets needed for myself and my best friend.
Meyoukey

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:06 pm

quadraspleen wrote:Shit, how do I put a space after an ellipsis at the end of a sentence? Help! EDIT: and I've missed a full stop (period, sorry) on the ellipsis on the end of my sig!! Oh My God!

Okay--if this is real...
The ellipsis is considered the full punctuation of a sentence.
To change your sig, go to that button that says "profile" and go from there. I'd say more but I don't feel like running two tabs...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby gyre » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:40 pm

Frankly those who attend as couples have a higher likelihood of contributing to the event.

This may be the funniest thing posted about tickets yet.
gyre

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion