New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 2012

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 201

Postby axel » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:40 am

I still don't know how I feel about going this year and probably won't until I find out what's going on with my camp - hopefully that will be soon. There's a big double-decker art bus, open bar, and events usually at our camp - definitely a huge undertaking and we need to find a way to get the virgins hooked up with camps and projects in advance. bMORG has to make some tough decisions, this is better than inaction and at least a resolution attempt is underway. Perhaps there is already a thread for Virgins Seeking Camps and Camps Seeking Virgins? If there is please PM me, I wanna try to see if we can get some more collaboration going by re-directing folks from FB to eplaya or see how JRS can promote virgin/camp mutual benefits for inclusion and collaboration. It's time to start re-focusing with or without a ticket...
axel
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:15 am

Re: New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 201

Postby omidia » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:49 am

I appreciate the difficulty here. And these are my thoughts.

One ticket through step that's not transferable?!?

I signed up with one card, not 5, I signed up for two tickets. One for me and one for my lover.

I can't go and buy one non transferable ticket without knowing if she can get one some other way.

We need two tickets or none.

The rest of the changes are a pain, and I appreciate the difficult decisions that went into them. But this is unacceptable. If I'd signed up with multiple cards I would have been fine. I chose not to, and I stand by that decision. Just like the decision to sell my tickets year at face value when we could not go at the last minute.

What would work for me is if I could buy 2 non-transferable tickets with names on them, or 1 transferable ticket so if she's unable to get one, I can pass it on. But 1 non-transferable ticket. That simply means I can't try.

And this is unacceptable.

What do I do in my situation? Help, please!

That's how I feel.
omidia
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:44 am

Re: New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 201

Postby omidia » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:05 am

urvile wrote:For dog's sake people, STEP or scalpers is not going to be the ONLY way to get a ticket. Tickets have changed hands in plenty of ways prior to it, and they will continue to be. It's a bit early for all the doom and gloom I'm seeing.


Yes, AND, I need to decide, very soon, if I'm going to go and buy one non-transferable ticket through STEP. And then if I can't get one for my lover, what do I do with that ticket?

Make the freaking STEP tickets reassignable/resellable/transferable through STEP.

I realize this is a difficult situation. However since I refuse to buy off a scalper (on principle), buying one non transferable ticket is just unacceptable. I can't do it. Make it transferable in some way. Or let me buy 2 non-transferable tickets. That's the ONLY way I'll be able to try.
omidia
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:44 am

Re: New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 201

Postby ZaphodBurner » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:08 am

Colonel Monk wrote:The purpose of the open sale was kind of intended to be a safety net all along.



Respectfully, I don't think so, because the open sale started in 2009 or 2010 before there was any perceived risk of the event selling out.

It's certainly mutated from that.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
User avatar
ZaphodBurner
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:05 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Re: New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 201

Postby alt12 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:10 am

axel wrote:I still don't know how I feel about going this year and probably won't until I find out what's going on with my camp - hopefully that will be soon. There's a big double-decker art bus, open bar, and events usually at our camp - definitely a huge undertaking and we need to find a way to get the virgins hooked up with camps and projects in advance. bMORG has to make some tough decisions, this is better than inaction and at least a resolution attempt is underway. Perhaps there is already a thread for Virgins Seeking Camps and Camps Seeking Virgins? If there is please PM me, I wanna try to see if we can get some more collaboration going by re-directing folks from FB to eplaya or see how JRS can promote virgin/camp mutual benefits for inclusion and collaboration. It's time to start re-focusing with or without a ticket...


There is a thread under the Theme Camp forums on playa for just this. I don't think you'll have trouble finding virgins. Even on a normal year theme camps are inundated with requests from random virgins who are looking to join a theme camp....
User avatar
alt12
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:58 pm
Location: Thailand
Burning Since: 2003

Re: New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 201

Postby ZaphodBurner » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:11 am

BBadger wrote:What makes a veteran any more worthy than a burgin? The fact that they went there before is hardly a qualification. It better not carry much weight in the ticket distribution--that would be unfairly treating (favoring) veteran burners.



What makes a wife any more worthy than mistress? Sweat equity and time invested, for starters.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
User avatar
ZaphodBurner
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:05 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Re: New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 201

Postby DrYes » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:17 am

ZaphodBurner wrote:
BBadger wrote:What makes a veteran any more worthy than a burgin? The fact that they went there before is hardly a qualification. It better not carry much weight in the ticket distribution--that would be unfairly treating (favoring) veteran burners.



What makes a wife any more worthy than mistress? Sweat equity and time invested, for starters.


Poor analogy. Relationships are built between people, and time invested counts towards building that relationship. Showing up at Burning Man every year does not, in and of itself, add any value to the event. Just being a veteran is of no value to everyone else, and entitled burnier-than-thou veterans are worth less than birgins as far as I'm concerned.

Veterans who -do- things on the other hand....that's a different story, and that's why BMORG is giving those 10,000 tickets to people in established camps.
User avatar
DrYes
 
Posts: 452
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:22 pm
Location: Bay Area
Burning Since: 2010

Re: New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 201

Postby The CO » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:28 am

Colonel Monk wrote:don't forget they started the ticket selling process this year with elitism - 3000 tickets for $420 each, highest priced tickets yet.


They've sold presale tickets for a few years before this.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
User avatar
The CO
 
Posts: 1626
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:56 am
Location: I-CORPS, M*A*S*H HQ
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Re: New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 201

Postby alt12 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:29 am

trilobyte wrote:Whew, what a night! The theme camp forum was a great meeting with good info (I'll post that elsewhere tomorrow as I get the chance to go through my notes). They gave us the nuts and the bolts of the announcement, but I had to wait til I got home to actually read all the details. Personally, I've got mixed feelings…and probably need either a few more beers or a good night's sleep. To be fair though, there's no decision that could have been made that would make everybody happy (the fundamental problem is still scarcity).

FYI - if you read the blog post earlier in the evening, please consider taking another look. A couple addendums appeared to have been added (they're noted)

@alt12 - the last 10 years or so of your participation on the theme camp side is in the placement team's database. I'm not sure how far back DMV goes, but they keep records too. While the placers or DMV people may change, the history is still there. I'll post my notes from the theme camp forum tomorrow, which may explain things a bit more than the blog post.


Trilo it is a pleasure to hear that for once you have mixed feelings about the ticketing decisions. I understand the official stated criteria and logistics of how they are selecting the special ticket theme camps/art projects but lets be honest this is a highly subjective process for distributing tickets and I don't think its fair or righteous or inclusive or just in any way whatsoever. There is just no way that this isn't going to tilt towards friends of the org, those with personal relationships in the org, the darling art-teams that already get grant funding every year for the last what 8 years, etc. To pretend this isn't going to happen is again to ignore all the basic principles of human psychology and the history of this organization. If it comes to deciding between some random theme camp that's been going for years and a friend of someone the org whose camp got decimated ticket-wise this year, who do you think is going to get the tickets? I'm afraid non-San Francisco based camps are at a huge disadvantage here...
User avatar
alt12
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:58 pm
Location: Thailand
Burning Since: 2003

Re: New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 201

Postby waynerd » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:35 am

Being one of the "million" virgins that so many people are so freaked out about, I have this to say. (I'm also curious to how many virgins ACTUALLY GOT tickets)

I may be a Burning Man virgin but that doesn't make me an idiot. In addition to doing my required reading and consulting a few veterans with questions I've also been reading a lot here regarding the ticket lottery mess, reading between the lines and trying to navigate through the frustration and negativity unscathed.

I agree with the dispersion of the remaining 10,000 tickets to core groups and volunteers. I think it's in the best interest of the community in light of the ticket lottery clusterfuck. Not a perfect solution by any means.
I agree with STEP being limited to those who signed up for the lottery and didn't get tickets. I mean really if you didn't register for the lottery for a ticket what the fuck were you waiting for? I wasn't even here last year but I knew FROM READING that it had sold out and lottery or not I was going to do everything I could to get a ticket this year AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE.

What I don't agree with (and have a feeling the BMorg might change) is the one ticket limit in STEP. I know it makes the odds suck even more for single burners who only want one ticket but I think that those who registered for the lottery for 2 tickets (couples etc) should still be able to get 2 through STEP, however four might be pushing it. Even those who registered for 2 and only got one in the lottery should still be able to queue up in STEP to acquire the second ticket for a spouse etc. I also think that to be fair in THIS process all tickets SHOULD be named to the person using it, to help keep the scalping element at bay.

My two bits, that's all.
So I guess I'll see some of you on the playa. I'll be the guy standing around with all the other NEWBS wondering what the big deal is and why there's so much dust. ....NOT. :twisted:
Excuse me, this is way different than what was described in the brochure!
User avatar
waynerd
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:22 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cameltopia 2014! 8:30 & E

Re: New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 201

Postby Galaxo Magic » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:36 am

Colonel Monk wrote:You never know who is going to transform from a gaper yahoo dumbass into a year after year burner, but shit, the first year they are all suspects - why? Well I don't know what % of virgins return the very next year ready to rock but it's not 100%, nor is it 75%, could be 50%? Anyone?

Interesting question, let me see, in the last 4 years our small camp has brought 14 birgens, 4 have returned at least once. All four that have returned have been hard workers. Of the other 10, four were hard workers and good birgens.

I don't know what this implies and it is a very small sample. My experience in 11-years of going is that a % of birgens (maybe 40-50%) end up being great burners, the other 50-60% end up being yahoo dumbasses. On the other hand, all the veteran burners in our camp (100%) are great burners, hard working, participants. What does it mean? I have no fracking idea.....but makes me feel like veterans have the edge on birgens. JMHO
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
User avatar
Galaxo Magic
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 1:42 am
Location: Somewhere west of there

Re: New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 201

Postby Galaxo Magic » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:39 am

ZaphodBurner wrote:
BBadger wrote:What makes a veteran any more worthy than a burgin? The fact that they went there before is hardly a qualification. It better not carry much weight in the ticket distribution--that would be unfairly treating (favoring) veteran burners.



What makes a wife any more worthy than mistress? Sweat equity and time invested, for starters.

I agree with ZaphodBurner on this. Most veterans I know bring a lot more to the table than birgens. Even when we work for several months with birgens to get them ready. I love watching the faces of birgens though. They are so full of wonder....
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
User avatar
Galaxo Magic
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 1:42 am
Location: Somewhere west of there

Re: New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 201

Postby The CO » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:44 am

alt12 wrote:If it comes to deciding between some random theme camp that's been going for years and a friend of someone the org whose camp got decimated ticket-wise this year, who do you think is going to get the tickets? I'm afraid non-San Francisco based camps are at a huge disadvantage here...


I think that the people that run the event get to make the decisions, and I'm willing to let them. If, once it has shaken out, I think there was something decidedly unfair about it, I will certainly say something. But we won't know until it has happened.

I'm choosing not to assume the worst. Perhaps you and I just have different approaches to challenges.

I was against the idea of theme camps getting special consideration. That doesn't mean I won't take the opportunity to help campmates if we are selected. If we're not, I'll still look for ways to help my ticketless campmates. If we can't get tickets for everyone, the camp will still be awesome. It's called displaying adaptability: it is a good trait to have as a person, and an even better one for a theme camp.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
User avatar
The CO
 
Posts: 1626
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:56 am
Location: I-CORPS, M*A*S*H HQ
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Re: New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 201

Postby Brianna_Beauty413 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:48 am

piehole wrote:After my initial reaction to the decision made by bmorg, I can honestly say this only makes me want to be there even more--with or without my close friends whom I originally planned on going with.

Ever since after one of my best friends, the one who initially introduced me to this community, came back and told me his story from 2010, I told myself that 2012 WILL be my virgin year at the Burn.

And booyah, I get selected in this random drawing lottery thing. Was it luck? Maybe.

I don't care anymore, this is my year.



piehole, I just wanted to say that you're freakin' awesome. I can't wait to see you on the playa! You better be at the meet n' greet!
"One good thing about music: When it hits you - you feel no pain" - Bob Marley
User avatar
Brianna_Beauty413
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:09 pm
Location: Montana, USA

Birgen Man 2012

Postby Galaxo Magic » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:48 am

So, if 40% of the 40k tickets go to Birgens, then we'll have 16k Birgens, if half of them are awesome contributors, then there will only be 8k dumbass Birgens out of 58k. That's about 13-14% dumbass, that seems normal to me. So I am cool with the 16k Birgens this year. PLUS, I am guessing that Birgens that had it together to get a ticket in the lottery already know more than the average Birgen of years past.

I can't wait for 2012 Birgen Man!
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
User avatar
Galaxo Magic
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 1:42 am
Location: Somewhere west of there

Re: New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 201

Postby Galaxo Magic » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:53 am

waynerd wrote:Being one of the "million" virgins . . .

My two bits, that's all.
So I guess I'll see some of you on the playa. I'll be the guy standing around with all the other NEWBS wondering what the big deal is and why there's so much dust. ....NOT. :twisted:

You sound like an awesome Birgen, hope to see you out there. Come climb our tower and ride our elephant, or just stop by for a cold beverage.
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
User avatar
Galaxo Magic
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 1:42 am
Location: Somewhere west of there

Re: New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 201

Postby alt12 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:54 am

The CO wrote:
alt12 wrote:If it comes to deciding between some random theme camp that's been going for years and a friend of someone the org whose camp got decimated ticket-wise this year, who do you think is going to get the tickets? I'm afraid non-San Francisco based camps are at a huge disadvantage here...


I think that the people that run the event get to make the decisions, and I'm willing to let them. If, once it has shaken out, I think there was something decidedly unfair about it, I will certainly say something. But we won't know until it has happened.

I'm choosing not to assume the worst. Perhaps you and I just have different approaches to challenges.

I was against the idea of theme camps getting special consideration. That doesn't mean I won't take the opportunity to help campmates if we are selected. If we're not, I'll still look for ways to help my ticketless campmates. If we can't get tickets for everyone, the camp will still be awesome. It's called displaying adaptability: it is a good trait to have as a person, and an even better one for a theme camp.


My theme camp is actually not hurting ticket wise. I'm one of only a couple of key folks without tickets and was already considering taking the year off before the ticket debacle so really its not personal for me or my people. So its not about "adaptability" for me personally. Its really the principle of it that bothers me and the inevitable cronyism, nepotism, and elitism that is inherent in a handful of secret (we don't know who either) people making a personal decision about who is "in" and who is "out" with no accountability (we have no way of knowing how these tickets are distributed). But you are 100% correct: those with the power get to decide who gets tickets in whatever way they want. It doesn't make it just but it is the way it is. I think this process is inherently "unfair." I think I am choosing to assume the most obvious outcome and based on human nature and based on how BRC LLC's history in which the same people get favoritism year after year after year in many different categories.... Like I said, its not a "challenge" to me personally, its a matter of ideals and principles and accountability. Of course the ORG is a private party and they can do whatever they want. However it does render the 10 Principles meaningless if they are wantonly violated by the core people....
User avatar
alt12
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:58 pm
Location: Thailand
Burning Since: 2003

Re: New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 201

Postby Mosquitopilate » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:54 am

I just want to say I am all for this 1 ticket thing
Twitter - @BurnPlayaMan E-Mail - Mosquitopilate@yahoo.com Image
Thanks to all that made BM 2012 great. You people are the best on planet earth )'( )'( )'(
User avatar
Mosquitopilate
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:40 pm
Location: On Playa Soon
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Birgen Man 2012

Postby Brianna_Beauty413 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:55 am

Galaxo Magic wrote:So, if 40% of the 40k tickets go to Birgens, then we'll have 16k Birgens, if half of them are awesome contributors, then there will only be 8k dumbass Birgens out of 58k. That's about 13-14% dumbass, that seems normal to me. So I am cool with the 16k Birgens this year. PLUS, I am guessing that Birgens that had it together to get a ticket in the lottery already know more than the average Birgen of years past.

I can't wait for 2012 Birgen Man!


I'm a Birgen this year...as are many people that I've met on here. I've known of Burning Man for about 6 years and always wanted to go. I decided this year would be my year way before the lottery crap was introduced. I've read the Survival Guide up and down, front to back. I've made lists, saved money, started on gifting projects and so on... I can only hope that there are more Birgen's out there that have done the same as I have. If they have - this year will be the best yet! Then next year we can keep the tradition of saying "last year was better" going on for years to come :D
"One good thing about music: When it hits you - you feel no pain" - Bob Marley
User avatar
Brianna_Beauty413
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:09 pm
Location: Montana, USA

Re: New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 201

Postby The CO » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:00 am

Next year was better.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
User avatar
The CO
 
Posts: 1626
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:56 am
Location: I-CORPS, M*A*S*H HQ
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Re: New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 201

Postby waynerd » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:04 am

Galaxo Magic wrote:
waynerd wrote:Being one of the "million" virgins . . .

My two bits, that's all.
So I guess I'll see some of you on the playa. I'll be the guy standing around with all the other NEWBS wondering what the big deal is and why there's so much dust. ....NOT. :twisted:

You sound like an awesome Birgen, hope to see you out there. Come climb our tower and ride our elephant, or just stop by for a cold beverage.



Towers, Elephants and Bevvies, I'm sure I'll enjoy all three. Mark me as "there"! :)
Excuse me, this is way different than what was described in the brochure!
User avatar
waynerd
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:22 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cameltopia 2014! 8:30 & E

Re: New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 201

Postby Finxiekins » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:10 am

I understand the concern about virgins, but seriously? A lot of you are acting as if ALL of the virgins will be unable to take care of themselves. I for one think that's rather silly. All of the virgins I've talked to have studied, learned, know the ten principles by heart and are working hard to make sure they are just as valuable. Hell, I know a few virgins who are doing their best to make an art piece, a camp, something to contribute to the playa.

I'm part of a theme camp and a virgin - But I want to make sure that I contribute as much as I possibly can. I've never met any of these people in the real world, but I feel a dedication to them and to making their theme camp absolutely awesome. WHY? Because I'm a virgin who wants to contribute, a virgin who wants to be well-read, and a virgin who wants to be valuable to the playa and the people of the playa.

Sure - There will be some ignorant people who have no clue what they're doing, but I know plenty of virgins who refuse to be THAT guy.

With that said, I'm very happy with the BMORGS decision, although I am a little perturbed about the 1 ticket limit on step. However, it's a step in a direction. Whether that direction is the correct one, I don't know and I'm sure they don't know. They've been doing what they can to make sure that everything works out, that they help as many people as they can. It's not easy making this many people happy, and you never will make all of them happy.

Burning Man knows that having the theme camps and art installments and art cars are important and they're trying to help the group that hurts the most currently. Yes, it is sad that you and your SO didn't get a ticket, virgin or not, but it seems like there are a lot of theme camps that need tickets horribly.

STEP will be a hard thing to deal with, especially for multiple people that used one card, but it's really important to remember that not everyone who has a ticket now will actually be able to go. As the good doc said, things happen. Best plan is to befriend people, make it known that you need tickets and hope that someone can help you out. Put yourself out there, because even if you don't get tickets to the playa, you could still be up for some awesome regionals and you'll make some good life-long friends.

2012 is going to be an awesome year, I bet. Dusty or not, the playa is all about self-reliance, and this year the ticket situation is also. Get on your game face and go for it in whatever way that you can! I WILL GET TO THE PLAYA. And I'll manage to bring my husband and friend as well. :D

(And a disclaimer: I am a virgin without the three tickets I need. But I know that I'll get them somehow - Sure, it's still up in the air. The theme camps may not get enough tickets to cover everyone, but I know in my heart that I'll get tickets somehow. Just want to make this disclaimer so I don't get flamed as someone 'Who just doesn't know my suffering because they have the tickets they need.)
User avatar
Finxiekins
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 201

Postby alt12 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:13 am

Finxiekins wrote:
With that said, I'm very happy with the BMORGS decision

2012 is going to be an awesome year, I bet. Dusty or not, the playa is all about self-reliance, and this year the ticket situation is also. Get on your game face and go for it in whatever way that you can! I WILL GET TO THE PLAYA. And I'll manage to bring my husband and friend as well. :D

(And a disclaimer: I am a virgin without the three tickets I need. But I know that I'll get them somehow - Sure, it's still up in the air. The theme camps may not get enough tickets to cover everyone, but I know in my heart that I'll get tickets somehow. Just want to make this disclaimer so I don't get flamed as someone 'Who just doesn't know my suffering because they have the tickets they need.)


Hahahah, no need for the disclaimer, you're positive and idealistic attitude gives you away. This is why many of us crusty, surly, jaded veterans are happy to have the positive enthusiastic energy of new blood to keep us going.
User avatar
alt12
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:58 pm
Location: Thailand
Burning Since: 2003

Re: New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 201

Postby Finxiekins » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:16 am

alt12 wrote:
Finxiekins wrote:
With that said, I'm very happy with the BMORGS decision

2012 is going to be an awesome year, I bet. Dusty or not, the playa is all about self-reliance, and this year the ticket situation is also. Get on your game face and go for it in whatever way that you can! I WILL GET TO THE PLAYA. And I'll manage to bring my husband and friend as well. :D

(And a disclaimer: I am a virgin without the three tickets I need. But I know that I'll get them somehow - Sure, it's still up in the air. The theme camps may not get enough tickets to cover everyone, but I know in my heart that I'll get tickets somehow. Just want to make this disclaimer so I don't get flamed as someone 'Who just doesn't know my suffering because they have the tickets they need.)


Hahahah, no need for the disclaimer, you're positive and idealistic attitude gives you away. This is why many of us crusty, surly, jaded veterans are happy to have the positive enthusiastic energy of new blood to keep us going.

Thanks. Trying to keep some positivity here. I've had my ups and downs, but I've dealt with it privately and decided not to bring it to the eplaya. This is not the place for me to whine and complain, this is the place for me to make sure I remember the good things and make some awesome friends. :D
User avatar
Finxiekins
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: Birgen Man 2012

Postby Galaxo Magic » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:24 am

Brianna_Beauty413 wrote:
Galaxo Magic wrote:So, if 40% of the 40k tickets go to Birgens, then we'll have 16k Birgens, if half of them are awesome contributors, then there will only be 8k dumbass Birgens out of 58k. That's about 13-14% dumbass, that seems normal to me. So I am cool with the 16k Birgens this year. PLUS, I am guessing that Birgens that had it together to get a ticket in the lottery already know more than the average Birgen of years past.

I can't wait for 2012 Birgen Man!


I'm a Birgen this year...as are many people that I've met on here. I've known of Burning Man for about 6 years and always wanted to go. I decided this year would be my year way before the lottery crap was introduced. I've read the Survival Guide up and down, front to back. I've made lists, saved money, started on gifting projects and so on... I can only hope that there are more Birgen's out there that have done the same as I have. If they have - this year will be the best yet! Then next year we can keep the tradition of saying "last year was better" going on for years to come :D

Awesome, I am guessing that most Birgens are doing what you are doing this year. Best crop of Birgens in BM history! See you out there!
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
User avatar
Galaxo Magic
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 1:42 am
Location: Somewhere west of there

Re: New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 201

Postby 5280MeV » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:25 am

Galaxo Magic wrote:I don't know what this implies and it is a very small sample. My experience in 11-years of going is that a % of birgens (maybe 40-50%) end up being great burners, the other 50-60% end up being yahoo dumbasses. On the other hand, all the veteran burners in our camp (100%) are great burners, hard working, participants. What does it mean? I have no fracking idea.....but makes me feel like veterans have the edge on birgens. JMHO


Ok, so from what I know of you and your camp, you bring a giant mobile pink elephant with a party balcony (which I want to ride on!) and you keep the music at a level to respect your neighbors and the conversations of your riders as you drive through the city.

I'm just not sure that your camp is a representative sample of the average veteran burner camp.

That is to say, camps of veteran burners who provide wonderful elephant vehicles are - on average - "better than the average virgin burner"

My one data point is that I definitely have a massive edge on me one year ago. I pretty much spent 99% of my time just wandering around trying to be self-reliant in the desert, meeting people, and sharing what little I had brought beyond what I needed. Now I kinda have a plan, I am working on making stuff, figuring out a volunteering strategy, getting more involved.

But here is another experience:

When I was a teacher, it was pretty much a given that first-year (maybe I shouldn't use the word virgin for this?) teachers were kind of a mess. Granted, many do a decent job, but the second year is a world of difference. This is certainly how it was for me. Although I got good feedback, and managed to get the students through some rigorous math courses with a high success rate, my classroom management was a total embarrassment in retrospect. So veteran teachers definitely have the edge.

However, the standard in education for pay scale and everything else is just how many rings there are around the tree - at most schools at least. Once you get into a school, it is damn near impossible to get fired for general incompetence. Schools end up with piles of deadwood that just soak up salary raises and divert resources from young and enthusiastic teachers.


Also, isn't the point of all this - at least on some basic level - to go out and have a good time for a week? Is this discussion really happening?
Image
User avatar
5280MeV
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:32 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 201

Postby ZaphodBurner » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:43 am

DrYes wrote:
ZaphodBurner wrote:
What makes a wife any more worthy than mistress? Sweat equity and time invested, for starters.


Poor analogy. Relationships are built between people, and time invested counts towards building that relationship. Showing up at Burning Man every year does not, in and of itself, add any value to the event.


Well, you are right. Time invested counts toward building that relationship. By your own words, showing up does not add value. My camp has been working for over a year to get to this point, and we've been an LNT camp every year we've attended. This will be our fourth year as a group and we've all volunteered at other camps, taken on extra responsibilities on and off playa, but, whatever.

Time invested only counts if you're one of the few thousand that didn't game the system. 43,000 others got tickets regardless of whether they invested anything or not. All it takes is a Visa card. No matter what, and in your words, showing up does, in and of itself, add any value to the community or traditions we've all helped create and tried to sustain.

DrYes wrote: Just being a veteran is of no value to everyone else,


LOL! Let's agree not to have this conversation at Arlington Cemetery.

I believe you're referring to the people who've been showing up since 200x or whatever and setting up their rental coach and don't really contribute anything. Hard to argue, and yet, still: They are more valuable to the city than people who game their way in or who buy from scalpers.

There's a redneck taxpayer vs illegal immigrant argument in there somewhere. When this hits the mainstream media, the Tea Party types can use it as a poster child.

Veterans who -do- things on the other hand....that's a different story, and that's why BMORG is giving those 10,000 tickets to people in established camps.


I'm in absolute agreement with you here. THAT part of the decision was necessary.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
User avatar
ZaphodBurner
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:05 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Re: New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 201

Postby Brianna_Beauty413 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:44 am

Finxiekins wrote:I understand the concern about virgins, but seriously? A lot of you are acting as if ALL of the virgins will be unable to take care of themselves. I for one think that's rather silly. All of the virgins I've talked to have studied, learned, know the ten principles by heart and are working hard to make sure they are just as valuable. Hell, I know a few virgins who are doing their best to make an art piece, a camp, something to contribute to the playa.

I'm part of a theme camp and a virgin - But I want to make sure that I contribute as much as I possibly can. I've never met any of these people in the real world, but I feel a dedication to them and to making their theme camp absolutely awesome. WHY? Because I'm a virgin who wants to contribute, a virgin who wants to be well-read, and a virgin who wants to be valuable to the playa and the people of the playa.

Sure - There will be some ignorant people who have no clue what they're doing, but I know plenty of virgins who refuse to be THAT guy.

With that said, I'm very happy with the BMORGS decision, although I am a little perturbed about the 1 ticket limit on step. However, it's a step in a direction. Whether that direction is the correct one, I don't know and I'm sure they don't know. They've been doing what they can to make sure that everything works out, that they help as many people as they can. It's not easy making this many people happy, and you never will make all of them happy.

Burning Man knows that having the theme camps and art installments and art cars are important and they're trying to help the group that hurts the most currently. Yes, it is sad that you and your SO didn't get a ticket, virgin or not, but it seems like there are a lot of theme camps that need tickets horribly.

STEP will be a hard thing to deal with, especially for multiple people that used one card, but it's really important to remember that not everyone who has a ticket now will actually be able to go. As the good doc said, things happen. Best plan is to befriend people, make it known that you need tickets and hope that someone can help you out. Put yourself out there, because even if you don't get tickets to the playa, you could still be up for some awesome regionals and you'll make some good life-long friends.

2012 is going to be an awesome year, I bet. Dusty or not, the playa is all about self-reliance, and this year the ticket situation is also. Get on your game face and go for it in whatever way that you can! I WILL GET TO THE PLAYA. And I'll manage to bring my husband and friend as well. :D

(And a disclaimer: I am a virgin without the three tickets I need. But I know that I'll get them somehow - Sure, it's still up in the air. The theme camps may not get enough tickets to cover everyone, but I know in my heart that I'll get tickets somehow. Just want to make this disclaimer so I don't get flamed as someone 'Who just doesn't know my suffering because they have the tickets they need.)


hear hear!!

word!

ditto!!

and all the rest of that happy horse sh*t that says I agree. I can't wait to meet you rainbow brite!
"One good thing about music: When it hits you - you feel no pain" - Bob Marley
User avatar
Brianna_Beauty413
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:09 pm
Location: Montana, USA

Re: Birgen Man 2012

Postby Brianna_Beauty413 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:45 am

Galaxo Magic wrote:Awesome, I am guessing that most Birgens are doing what you are doing this year. Best crop of Birgens in BM history! See you out there!


I'll have a beer waiting for ya
"One good thing about music: When it hits you - you feel no pain" - Bob Marley
User avatar
Brianna_Beauty413
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:09 pm
Location: Montana, USA

Re: Birgen Man 2012

Postby piehole » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:47 am

Brianna_Beauty413 wrote:
Galaxo Magic wrote:Awesome, I am guessing that most Birgens are doing what you are doing this year. Best crop of Birgens in BM history! See you out there!


I'll have a beer waiting for ya



samesies
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
User avatar
piehole
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:44 pm
Location: San Diego
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: MiscreAnts
Bants
Glitter Apocalypse

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests