Artists *affected* by not having tickets

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Artists *affected* by not having tickets

Postby scott_k » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:51 am

Do not let this year's ticketing challenges stop you. Create what you create, regardless of whether others will see it/ hear it etc. Maybe this year's project will not the largest in measurable size, but that does not mean it will not have profound significance now or in the future. You will learn something, made you will learn more than you expected. It's justified to be flustered by our situation, but I'll be damned if this gets between you and your friends building awesome art and growing closer while doing so.

Obviously, there are hundreds of situational considerations that I'm not mentioning here. However, generally speaking, I strongly believe you haven't "wasted" your several thousand dollar investments in your various projects. Not unless you really feel that way.

Travel expenses are another story.

----------------

Far-out recommendation for ticket demand issue: Move Burning Man to DEATH VALLEY in JULY or AUGUST (who cares if the heat is dangerous? we're all grown-ups with fancy technologies to prevent dehydration).

I'm new to the forums so sorry if this is the wrong thread...
scott_k

Burning Since: 2011

Re: Artists *affected* by not having tickets

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:48 am

Death Valley is Park Service land. I suspect that they would be stricter on permits, etc.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby RevDusty » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:07 am

I don't know of any artists who will stop making awesome art due to lack of tickets. Rather they are now focused elsewhere and are not planning on making art for burning man.
The art collectives are focusing on venues where they don't have to hassle to get a ticket to display their art...there's too much hassle making great art, who wants to waste time and energy getting enough tickets for the crew?
There are many alt events/venues available. Plans were kicked into hi gear on the evening the ticket draw ended. Wikis were launched, plans revised, promoters contacted.
I, for one, am sad about this, but I understand. A lot of the art that people photograph and talk about and are awestruck by takes more than a year to create with a good sized team.
I really hope the BMorg can turn this around.
Rev. Dusty Sportswood
RevDusty

Postby vargaso » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:21 am

scott_k wrote:Do not let this year's ticketing challenges stop you. Create what you create, regardless of whether others will see it/ hear it etc. Maybe this year's project will not the largest in measurable size, but that does not mean it will not have profound significance now or in the future. You will learn something, made you will learn more than you expected. It's justified to be flustered by our situation, but I'll be damned if this gets between you and your friends building awesome art and growing closer while doing so.

Obviously, there are hundreds of situational considerations that I'm not mentioning here. However, generally speaking, I strongly believe you haven't "wasted" your several thousand dollar investments in your various projects. Not unless you really feel that way.

Travel expenses are another story.

----------------

Far-out recommendation for ticket demand issue: Move Burning Man to DEATH VALLEY in JULY or AUGUST (who cares if the heat is dangerous? we're all grown-ups with fancy technologies to prevent dehydration).

I'm new to the forums so sorry if this is the wrong thread...

There's a big difference between 90-100 degrees and 120 degrees. Anyway, you're thinking too small, I say we move Burning Man to the Atacama desert in Chile. We'll stage it at this commune on the outskirts: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Pedro_de_Atacama.

See you in Chile!
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby scott_k » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:22 pm

good points all around. I'm definitely down for the Atacama desert. It would be such an adventure just to get there from here in Los Angeles with with the caravan of rigged cars, trucks, RVs, SUVs, trailers, etc. while crossing hundreds of miles of cartel territory. Epic.
scott_k

Burning Since: 2011

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion