What I think is going to happen with STEP !!!

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

What I think is going to happen with STEP !!!

Postby lemur » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:34 pm

(this is all conjecture and assumptions, based upon no inside info of the STEP program, my opinion only and not likely to occur, not representing what black rock city LLC will do because i dont know what they will do with STEP.. this post is not that of an official representative or anything of the sort.. speaking for me only, from me.. based on no facts at all, just guessing..and reading tea leaves and making bullshit up, this is rumors and possibly falsehoods)

So.. theres some ticket stuff..

There is this much talked about STEP (Secure Ticket Exchange Program) program.. and there is some kinda ticket thing going on..

It turns out that a lot of camps/groups/projects did not get the tickets they wanted and/or needed. This has caused much hand wringing and even in some cases, behind closed doors.. I think some teeth were gnashed. A lot of the important parts of our community might not be able to make it without something to help em a bit.

Anyways.. we still are waiting to see what happens with STEP (opens on feb 22, announced in november).. and we are waiting to hear about how the LLC will address the ticket shortage that is having an impact on theme camps/art groups/mutantvehicle crews/volunteers sometime on feb 15th..

well: my prediction... there will be a system so that some of those theme camps/projects who registered for tickets in the lottery and did not get them will be able to get first dibs on any tickets in the STEP program.

Now we know that somewhere it was promised that all of those who did not get selected for tickets in the lottery would get placed into the queue for tickets that are made available in the STEP program.

That will still happen.. But.. serving our community and its vital theme camps/projects and infrastructure stuff just might be very important to those running the event and our culture. So, I think it may occur that some camps/projects may get to go to the front of the line.

If my prediction is true.. such a system would allow these camps/projects a greater chance at making it..

Perhaps these camps might be ones that arent granted some OTHER kind of assistance from the LLC.

Yes, i also predicted in the past that maybe thered be a solution where the LLC offers for sale about 1000-3000 tickets to some camps/projects.. So, in this second prediction.. I predict we might actually end up with TWO ways for camps and projects to make it there.

In the end we would (if my predictions come true) have a way where the camps who get direct offers of a chance to buy a ticket at a 'open sale' price will be more likely to make it. And camps who arent directly offered such a chance at directly buying tickets at an 'open sale' price will be put into a queue in STEP where they get 'first dibs' before all other participants who did not get selected. as a result their camp/project will be more likely to make it

This way.. the camps/projects which are mainstays and hugely vital to the culture of burning man get a direct opportunity to buy a ticket.. their concerns end up being heard

and those camps/projects that might be not-as-hugely-vital.. but still a very important part of the culture of burning man (we need both big and small things to really kick ass, both vets and newcomers, too) ..will get first chance at tickets through STEP.. this way their concerns end up being heard and they arent totally shut out.. either

(also regular participants who signed up for the lottery without being selected get in the queue before it is opened to the general public, as promised)

that is all.

(again i have no inside info about STEP, i am speaking of my own opinion and dont know any facts, this is all based on assumptions and conjecture.. i am not speaking in a capacity that represents Burning Man or the Black Rock City LLC ..i do not know what will happen i am just making guesses and saying stuff that i am thinking on eplaya because i thought my guesses and conjecture and assumptions were super insightful.. and if i do turn out to be right, through some miracle.. i will be vindicated by registering my insight, in the form of conjecture and baseless assumptions without any facts... early on before the stuff is implemented and divulged to the public, again, this is all guesses, conjecture, baseless assumptions and rumor, possibly not to be implemented: VOID WHERE PROHIBITED)
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Re: What I think is going to happen with STEP !!!

Postby Trishntek » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:53 pm

HA! That's what you think! Whatever happens,,, will!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Fiver » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:36 am

Most likely the giant theme camps will suffer this year, and there will be a flood of tickets that virgins (who have no idea about STEP) need to sell closer to the event time once they realize just what they are getting into. (First year at the burn can be daunting and expensive when getting stuff you need the first time.)
Anyway, the zillions of people who registered on a whim will realize they don't want to go and tickets will be available to people who do. That may not help the big long time planning camps, but for your average burner it will be ok.
I don't think that many fix are in the hands of scalpers. Maybe 7-9%.
Fiver

Burning Since: 2011

Postby curiousgnate » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:01 am

My prediction is that they will not move camps to the front of the line. How do you decide who is more "worthy" (for lack of a better word)? How would this be done fairly? without bias? and without pissing off the community even more? Certain camps would be left out in the cold, and I do not think this can, or will be done. The step program will go on as it was purpoted to on a first come first served basis, as will the gen sale. In the very off chance that they do hold some tickets from the 10,000 in the gen sale to give to "important theme camps" then they will do so secretly. burningman has now become something that you can not plan for until june, and this is an unfortunate situation with many ramifications.
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!
curiousgnate

Postby waynerd » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:34 am

Fiver wrote:Most likely the giant theme camps will suffer this year, and there will be a flood of tickets that virgins (who have no idea about STEP) need to sell closer to the event time once they realize just what they are getting into. (First year at the burn can be daunting and expensive when getting stuff you need the first time.)
Anyway, the zillions of people who registered on a whim will realize they don't want to go and tickets will be available to people who do. That may not help the big long time planning camps, but for your average burner it will be ok.
I don't think that many fix are in the hands of scalpers. Maybe 7-9%.

Not this virgin. I'm ecstatic to have been blessed with my one ticket and short of being taken out by a semi-truck on the road down. I'll be there. :twisted:
Excuse me, this is way different than what was described in the brochure!
waynerd

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Come Again

Postby remi » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:37 am

I think it would be easy for BMOrg to take all the extra a couple thousand tickets and allocate them to theme camps/mutant vehicle builders/ artist, and still have 8+ thousand tickets for the open sale. A way they can decide which camps are "worthy" (for lack of better word) of a ticket would be to see how they contribute to the community (ex. HeeBeeGeeBee Healers,) and cross reference last years camps with the Moot map. http://burningblog.s3.amazonaws.com/wp- ... -SEVEN.gif
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby Killbuck » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:55 am

Best to get their attention... so wear some big lobbed collars!!!

http://sideshow2014.weebly.com Bringing Sideshow back to the playa, and part of the Embrace Crew, 2014.
Killbuck

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:13 am

I think this may be a slippery slope.

An Orwellian - "all burners are equal but some burners are more equal than others" feeling among the burner population may actually do more harm than good in the long run.

But like everyone else, all I can do is wait and see how this all plays out.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:38 am

I better practice my
Four Feet Good, No Feet Better

chanting.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby hotmess » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:24 am

Fiver wrote:Anyway, the zillions of people who registered on a whim will realize they don't want to go and tickets will be available to people who do. That may not help the big long time planning camps, but for your average burner it will be ok.

I was sharing this sentiment this weekend with a friend. I think there will be bump in available tickets come April/May/June as some people who got tickets thinking they wanted to go will either be overwhelmed by what is involved to get out there, work may get in the way, or life simply might just say, "sorry, not this year". Sadly, the larger more elaborate camps will suffer due to the lack of time and resources required to get out to the burn. But your average, enthusiastic repeat burner will probably find a way out there. This year will certainly be different then any other year.
hotmess

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Kamp Krusty

Postby lemur » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:10 pm

Fiver wrote:Most likely the giant theme camps will suffer this year, and there will be a flood of tickets that virgins (who have no idea about STEP) need to sell closer to the event time.....

That may not help the big long time planning camps, but for your average burner it will be ok.

Yes! this may be.... but, to put it bluntly.. "your average burner" doesnt appear to me as much of their concern right now, the LLC is trying to address the needs of theme camps and projects and volunteers.. As you mention, those people putting tickets on the market in the summer wont help the groups who need them now.....If they are gonna make it, theyll probably need some additional assistance..

curiousgnate wrote: How do you decide who is more "worthy" (for lack of a better word)? How would this be done fairly? without bias? and without pissing off the community even more? Certain camps would be left out in the cold, and I do not think this can, or will be done.......In the very off chance that they do hold some tickets from the 10,000 in the gen sale to give to "important theme camps" then they will do so secretly...

I think we already know the answer to that question about who is "worthy" (deep down inside), and its my belief that the LLC does too!! We know implementing a fix to get those worthy camps there WON'T be fair, if one is implemented.. This has been alluded to in the various blog posts and PR stuff.. Radical-inclusion may take a hit.

themecamps/projects/volunteers are going to be considered much more important than just a random burner, or newcomer or veteran who wants a ticket..

hell, they even named the blog title "RADICAL INCLUSION: MEET THE OTHER 9"

Radical Inclusion is the first principle, but faced with a Burning Man event that is limited in population, Civic Responsibility and Communal Effort dictate that we endeavor to radically include those who create Burning Man in the first place. There are, after all, Ten Principles, not just the one.

http://blog.burningman.com/2012/02/news ... ther-nine/

About secret plans to do secret things!!! !! I dont know what to say about that.. so moving along..

hotmess wrote:Sadly, the larger more elaborate camps will suffer due to the lack of time and resources required to get out to the burn. But your average, enthusiastic repeat burner will probably find a way out there.

To the LLC their interests seem to (as mentioned in the above linked blog) sway toward the "Civic Responsibility" portion of the '10 principles', in that without these groups.. they think the event could suffer in a big way... So, while it is probably true that a bunch of tickets may hit the market in summer and allow many enthusiastic repeat burners and newcomers to make it.. Something apparently also needs to be done much sooner, in the LLCs mind, for the groups/crews/projects that do so much to make burning man awesome to get out there..

I predict! Something will be done, it might not be fair, some people might be annoyed by it.. (hell, they are already annoyed) but.. whatever it is.. it will probably save burning man itself!!! The vital community will remain in-tact, the culture will remain.. and we will live to see 2013 much smarter and stronger...

hooray!!
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby burner von braun » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:06 pm

I think I've read where there is a restocking fee for someone who turns in tickets to STEP. I'm not sure how much this will be, but I would suggest, if true, that this cost be passed on to the new ticket purchaser instead, rather than the original owner. Anything like that, which can encourage people to turn excess tickets in, rather than dissuade them, is probably a good idea this year. I think almost everyone would be OK with paying face value, plus shipping, plus the restocking fee, for a ticket, especially knowing that the money was staying in the community.
Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Burning Since: 2010

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion