Ideas for next year I haven't seen elsewhere

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Ideas for next year I haven't seen elsewhere

Postby LegendZero » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:20 pm

Like many of you the ticket lottery has caused me much frustration and angst, I have moved past that now and have nothing more to say about the lottery or its results.
The Latest JRS encouraged people to share ideas for the future and it is with that in mind that I create this post.

What I would like to talk about is demand. It has been made abundantly clear that demand to attend burning man has greatly exceeded capacity, many people have advocated "simply" increasing capacity with a number of replies about why that cannot be done most critical of which seems to be arrival and exodus delays. After some round table discussions with friends and other burners I have come here to share some of the ideas that we think might address those concerns for future years.

Arrival: As has been stated in numerous places the biggest concern is backing up traffic to 447. To address this concern we had three possible solutions two that are easy to implement and one that requires a significantly larger investment but which could allow for even greater continuing growth.

The first is to open Burning man arrivals one day earlier on Sunday and to allocate some if not all tickets to a required arrival date. In such a system a person who received tickets could either elect an arrival day of Sunday or Monday or (preffered) or be provided one at random (people tend to dislike random selection over the perception of control) those people who received Sunday tickets could arrive Sunday to Monday, those who get Monday tickets could arrive Monday to Tuesday, from Tuesday on anyone with a ticket could arrive. this would obviously thin the traffic a considerable amount even if attendance was increased.

Second would be to hire outside personnel to work gate during peak arrival, Sunday and Monday in my previous example, They could search cars and collect tickets and could then leave which would alleviate some volunteer concerns people have posted elsewhere in regards to ID checks at the gate. I am aware this may be counter to the idea of volunteerism but balancing this against not being able to include more people each year seems like a good solution and could possibly provided extra income to local communities.

Lastly would be to build an extra lane from 447 to BRC, this is of course the most expensive and complicated solution but with the right choices it could be done such that Burning Man attendance could continue to increase. Obviously that is a multi-year plan requiring much work with officials and perhaps something more suited to after the change to non-profit control but it is something to consider.

Exodus: The best solution I can see would be extending Ice and Porto service (or just portos) by one day and encouraging a staggered exodus. The other problem I have seen mentioned is mud, should it rain on the playa as it did in 98. I will admit I see no simple solution to that issue but logistically it wouldn't make a much of a difference if it were 50k people stuck or 80k and its one reason Included 2 extra days water and food during my planning.

My apologies if some or all of us this is redundant, I have tried keeping up with the multitude of posts on the topic and did search a bit before posting.
LegendZero

Re: Ideas for next year I haven't seen elsewhere

Postby SnowBlind » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:42 pm

I think arrivals are not the problem, as they are already spread out over more days than exodus. No matter how many people you have attending, they are arriving over the course of more than 5 days and leave over the course of 2. Also, the number of early arrivals is already pretty big. Bigger than the number of late departures.

You could try to encourage spreading out exodus more, but people are already doing that. I know lots of people that have left right after the man burn, or even before, in the last couple of years, to avoid traffic. Either way you slice that, the bulk of the people is going to try to leave in a 48 hour or so window.

Now expanding the road *would* help, but I have no idea how realistic that is. And with USG closed, there is probably even less arguments to do that. So unless we get to pour some stimulus money into 447, I am not holding my breath.
SnowBlind

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:57 pm

SnowBlind wrote:Now expanding the road *would* help, but I have no idea how realistic that is.

It's not.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:01 pm

IMHO, thumb in dyke (yeah, I know), temporary fix.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion