Trilo on Tickets

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Trilo on Tickets

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:13 am

but...but...but...what about the root beer?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Eric » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:43 am

AntiM wrote:Yes, grai, yes!

Indeed!
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby ygmir » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:46 am

Eric wrote:
AntiM wrote:Yes, grai, yes!

Indeed!

*joining the GD love fest of admiration and agreement*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby RedHeaven » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:53 am

Been getting a lot of great feedback on my FB page when I shared Trilo's words. The way it is formatted and written eases peoples minds and puts them less in a FEAR bracket and more in a DO bracket. All we can really do is MOVE FORWARD or move on.
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby ZaphodBurner » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:51 pm

graidawg wrote:
sorry Zaphod, perhaps i wasn't clear enough, yes Burning Man is massively exciting I wouldnt be coming otherwise. But and this is a big but, if the theme camps can't make it and people cannot make plans because they won't know till march if they can make "big art" then it means we will have the rest of us to try and ensure we have the best time possible.

Okay, I respect and agree with that. We'll have no choice.

The Donner Party resorted to cannibalism. But only because they had no choice. If my camp collapses and I get a ticket, I'm joining another camp.

I just have nightmares of standing on the playa looking at a simulation of the 2005 temple, a golf cart made up to look like La Contessa, people in Douche Addis facepaint, plastic cups and water bottles everywhere streets lined with matching rental RVs, dogs and cats actually fucking each other, and, the biggest and most realistic nightmares of all: Social breakdown when strangers fight, or somebody gets bored and tips a shitter, or the contract is pulled because people are dumping their trash in them, and the BLM says everybody has to get the fuck off the playa. Somebody dies because there wasn't enough community experience to prevent a disaster before it happens.

I'm trying to imagine what Black Rock City is going to look like without all the neon, lasers and fire. I'm trying to calculate the number of generators that will be running to drive strings of Christmas lights and thousands of small PA systems, and lots of miniature mutant vehicles puttering around, and how awesome it would feel to be elbows-deep in a scalper's blood at the Thunderdome. (My happy place.) We just have to make sure it doesn't come to any of that.

I think the Org understands and will work to rectify the problem as much as possible at this point, and I'm trying to volunteer to help them. I have faith. Most of us will go to Burning Man.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby Killbuck » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:20 pm

Ok, I knew this thread would eventually degrade into cannibalism.

http://sideshow2014.weebly.com Bringing Sideshow back to the playa, and part of the Embrace Crew, 2014.
Killbuck

Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby Killbuck » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:22 pm

http://sideshow2014.weebly.com Bringing Sideshow back to the playa, and part of the Embrace Crew, 2014.
Killbuck

Postby socks » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:52 pm

That's very easy for those who have tickets to say.This has turned into the have's and the have not's
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence
socks

Postby mikesnow » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:09 pm

Would it make an sense to close entry the Burning Man on Wednesday. This would discourage weekenders from even buying tickets, giving those who are prepared to commit to the fun and also challenges of the Playa for a longer period more of a chance at tickets. It seems to me that to deserve the best of Burning Man one should have to deal with the real issues related to staying in a dry lake bed with ridiculous extremes of weather for more than a weekend. Perhaps tickets could be sold with "not after" entry days, with the earlier entry days actually having the lower price. This would give those that work to set up camps etc the best deal and best chance. I hope this adds positively to the conversation.

I would love to be a virgin at this years event, but who knows. I just feel like part of the problem at this point.

Thanks to everyone who has been before me for making me want to come.

Mike Snow
mikesnow

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:51 pm

mikesnow wrote: Would it make an sense to close entry the Burning Man on Wednesday.

There are plenty of "real burners" who aren't able to get out until later in the week. Besides, they bring wacky, exotic stuff like pizza and ice cream that remind us that the outside world exists. Keeps us from going all Lord of the Flies on each other.

mikesnow wrote:I just feel like part of the problem at this point.

Oh god, don't do that to yourself. You don't need the grief.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby BBadger » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:48 pm

mikesnow wrote:I would love to be a virgin at this years event, but who knows. I just feel like part of the problem at this point.

Everybody is part of the problem, because the problem is demand.

If you do attend, feel satisfied that maybe you "deprived" (quoted because that connotes entitlement) a bitter, I-must-state-how-many-years-veteran "burner" of a ticket and also spared us his or her presence on the playa.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby mikesnow » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:45 pm

Ok
mikesnow

Postby MisterSaunders » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:27 pm

trilobyte wrote: C) Youtube has never registered to get Burning Man tickets before. Think whatever you like, but the evidence I'm seeing shows that as the leading suspect. Unless there's a secret society of ticket hoarders that stocked up on extras for campmates and friends yet refuses to come forward to their campmates/friends, or some kind of scalper brotherhood that agreed to not list their tickets until either after the secondary sale or some later date, I'm just not seeing some other wildcard that explains it. You're welcome to continue to think what you like.

I'm not sure what "Youtube has never registered..." means (perhaps "YouTube has never registered as a major factor before".....?), but as someone who works for a large online video company (ahem), I have to call a small amount of BS on the "blame it on the video" theory.

As of right now, a little over 3000 people have gone to the effort of leaving a comment on the video. A little over 24K people "liked" the video.

That's 3K comments out of 1.3MM views (which is many more views than the video had when the lotto took place....)

That's like 0.2% of views resulted in someone typing "that was cool....." or words to that effect.

Now, to be fair, there's no clear correlation between "people who leave comments on videos" and "people who decide, at relatively short notice, to enter a lottery the result of which would be potentially tying-up a few hundred bucks to attend an event they'd never been to before, one that requires a reasonably high degree of logistical effort to attend, an event that requires a significant and well-documented degree of preparation and one that can be can be logistically challenging even for people living within a day's drive of the event (which would be, realistically, a small-ish portion of the over-all video viewership, a higher % of which would have come from overseas than you might expect....)"

To be really fair, I'm sure that video *did* get some people into the potential attendee pool. Most likely people who were already on the cusp of going, over the tipping point to actually going. People with friends who go, or have gone, who were just needing that final push.... And newbs too, who didn't read or were not put off by all the logistical challenges documented on the website.

But to assume that it's a significant culprit in terms of "where did all the tickets goes".... I'm skeptical. Not saying people didn't love the video, but (in advertising terms) a million "impressions" rarely translates into five-figure "actions" that require three-figure financial commitments and any number of personal logistic hurdles to be cleared.
MisterSaunders

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:36 pm

mr saunders, as in Ted?

nice try, but i know that you're Halcyon's PR firm, spinning the spin...

It was Suess and John's Pink Hair Happily skipping away to playaland. Totally...3 million fucking hits Every goddamn college rag from Coed to EbaumsWorld.

seriously.

anyway, these are the same people who worked for Samoza, Suharto, Idi Amin, and Baby Doc and tried to sell you new coke.

The Video Fucked us. It was the Kill Shot. His Statistics as stated above are pure horse shit.

of course, It would have happened anayway, but it accelerated the pace with a moores law like panache.

hate to be yogi berra here, but i calls thems as i sees them.

Everyone give John a purple Nurple when you see him.
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby bradtem » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:48 am

It will take a lot to get me to believe that. Based on what we've heard so far, which are "80,000 buyers, 1.7 tickets per buyer" and "twice what we expected" and the 30-40% return rate, I'm concluding there were at least 120,000 ticket requests in the lottery. 40% were from newbies, we are told, but we're not told what the normal newbie purchase rate is (I think it's probably 30% but that's just a guess.) But in any event, it means around 72,000 requested by returning burners -- scalpers probably don't fill out surveys. Plus 3,000 pre-sale. That's quite a large increase over the typical returning burner purchase rate I estimate at about 35,000. Even with more growth than ever seen among newbies and returners, there's a lot of new requests -- and there are still 10K tickets of secondary sale to do.
See giant panoramas of BRC: http://www.templetons.com/brad/burn
bradtem

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:52 am

shut up, hippy.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby alt12 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:36 pm

graidawg wrote:
sorry Zaphod, perhaps i wasn't clear enough, yes Burning Man is massively exciting I wouldnt be coming otherwise. But and this is a big but, if the theme camps can't make it and people cannot make plans because they won't know till march if they can make "big art" then it means we will have the rest of us to try and ensure we have the best time possible. Burning Man isnt made by the big art installations, or sound camps or anything that is there its made by burners.

Almost every single story I tell about BM to my friends or story that I hear, is about people. Sure i loved seeing Infected Mushroom at oplulent temple and the stroboscopic zoetrope, but it was the people i was with that made it brilliant, I would of still enjoyed it on my own but having friends to share it with made it so much more.
so if we have smaller more intimate things at BM, smaller camps and smaller dance tents - as oppposed to massive sound camps, more interaction with people on a more intimate level that, for me, will be a new and interesting experience at BM.
if people cant brew absinthe for august without knowing they have tickets well buy some, or distill it anyway and drink some at home and bring vintage absinthe in 2013.

I guess the root beer scare has been put to rest and now we're onto the absinthe scare.....
alt12

Postby SquirrelHead » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:08 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:shut up, hippy.

:lol:
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
dirty little reclaimed BURGIN. Ruining Burning Man since 2012.
SquirrelHead

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Re: Trilo on Pink Hair.

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:20 pm

Roberto Dobbisano wrote:mr saunders, as in Ted?

nice try, but i know that you're Halcyon's PR firm, spinning the spin...

It was Suess and John's Pink Hair Happily skipping away to playaland. Totally...3 million fucking hits Every goddamn college rag from Coed to EbaumsWorld.

seriously.

anyway, these are the same people who worked for Samoza, Suharto, Idi Amin, and Baby Doc and tried to sell you new coke.

The Video Fucked us. It was the Kill Shot. His Statistics as stated above are pure horse shit.

of course, It would have happened anayway, but it accelerated the pace with a moores law like panache.

hate to be yogi berra here, but i calls thems as i sees them.

Everyone give John a purple Nurple when you see him.

now roll credits...

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby moonrise » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:44 pm

No animals were harmed in the making of this film.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby lemur » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:00 pm

they were gassed using whipits and painlessly ground up for their vital protein.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:31 am

MisterSaunders wrote:
trilobyte wrote: C) Youtube has never registered to get Burning Man tickets before. Think whatever you like, but the evidence I'm seeing shows that as the leading suspect. Unless there's a secret society of ticket hoarders that stocked up on extras for campmates and friends yet refuses to come forward to their campmates/friends, or some kind of scalper brotherhood that agreed to not list their tickets until either after the secondary sale or some later date, I'm just not seeing some other wildcard that explains it. You're welcome to continue to think what you like.

I'm not sure what "Youtube has never registered..." means (perhaps "YouTube has never registered as a major factor before".....?), but as someone who works for a large online video company (ahem), I have to call a small amount of BS on the "blame it on the video" theory.

As of right now, a little over 3000 people have gone to the effort of leaving a comment on the video. A little over 24K people "liked" the video.

That's 3K comments out of 1.3MM views (which is many more views than the video had when the lotto took place....)

That's like 0.2% of views resulted in someone typing "that was cool....." or words to that effect.

Now, to be fair, there's no clear correlation between "people who leave comments on videos" and "people who decide, at relatively short notice, to enter a lottery the result of which would be potentially tying-up a few hundred bucks to attend an event they'd never been to before, one that requires a reasonably high degree of logistical effort to attend, an event that requires a significant and well-documented degree of preparation and one that can be can be logistically challenging even for people living within a day's drive of the event (which would be, realistically, a small-ish portion of the over-all video viewership, a higher % of which would have come from overseas than you might expect....)"

To be really fair, I'm sure that video *did* get some people into the potential attendee pool. Most likely people who were already on the cusp of going, over the tipping point to actually going. People with friends who go, or have gone, who were just needing that final push.... And newbs too, who didn't read or were not put off by all the logistical challenges documented on the website.

But to assume that it's a significant culprit in terms of "where did all the tickets goes".... I'm skeptical. Not saying people didn't love the video, but (in advertising terms) a million "impressions" rarely translates into five-figure "actions" that require three-figure financial commitments and any number of personal logistic hurdles to be cleared.

It has been said before and probably needs to be said again as it seems some of our most senior community members are having a hard time wrapping their minds around this concept: If a scalper, or an organization of scalpers (a brotherhood, if you will) happens to be sitting on a large pile of tickets it would be economic suicide for them to announce themselves and how many tickets they have this early in the game. Burners are great people, and don't get me wrong I LOVE the gift economy, but you'd think with more or less 50 weeks in defaultia we might still have at least one (maybe?) clue as to how a money economy works...

As I type this there are reportedly 53 tickets available on stubhub. Down from the 86 or whatever from when the lottery concluded. So we are expected to believe that only only 33 tickets have been scalped through stubhub(there are other ticket resale sites that exist as well, I'm just using stubhub as the obvious example). We are also expected to believe that upwards of 10-20 thousand people who registered in the lottery did not get tickets. So out of those tens of thousands of folks who wanted tickets only 33 of them lack the moral fiber to only pay face value and have bought tickets from stubhub. Yeah fucking right. This leads me to the conclusion that many of the scalpers selling 'promises' of tickets have many more than the listed amount and are only listing a few at a time. It is my estimation that a rather large amount of tickets ended up in the hands of scalpers, and that the LLC has implemented numerous policies not only inadvertently favoring scalpers but encouraging them. :evil: Failure. Plain and simple.
A-RockLeFrench

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: PLUNDERGROUND

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:55 am

Nope. TLDR

Halcyons and Ted Saunders Fault.

If i see any cat in the fucking hat top hats on the playa this year i am igniting them on fire while they are being worn.

Seriously, i hate those things.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Raymaker » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:09 am

BBadger wrote:If you do attend, feel satisfied that maybe you "deprived" (quoted because that connotes entitlement) a bitter, I-must-state-how-many-years-veteran "burner" of a ticket and also spared us his or her presence on the playa.

And now these people are preferred participants of BM, these are the 10,000 who will have the remaining tickets diverted to them, so now your going have to reverse your opinions on '10,000 bitter, I-must-state-how-many-years-veteran burner' because you will be camping with them?
Raymaker

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:13 am

Since 96' motherfuckers.

Lick my Senior-it-ty....

God i feel crusty and bitter today, its good to be alive.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby AntiM » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:52 am

I'll be more bitter next year.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby CapnJoe » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:45 am

Kernul Killbuck wrote:Ok, I knew this thread would eventually degrade into cannibalism.

KERNUL! Just don't know how Reno can contain you! :twisted:
CapnJoe

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:50 am

CapnJoe wrote:KERNUL! Just don't know how Reno can contain you! :twisted:

Sometimes he gets snowed in.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Marscrumbs » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:19 pm

graidawg wrote:lets wait till september to see if we have a problem, sure tickets havent gone to the peope who feel entitled or deserving. but it may, just may make Bm soemthing new and exciting. if it doesnt well we can always have a different plan next year if you dont like the idea of going to something different from what yo expect well DONT GO

I love those last minute improptu burns.
Marscrumbs

Postby Killbuck » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:10 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
CapnJoe wrote:KERNUL! Just don't know how Reno can contain you! :twisted:

Sometimes he gets snowed in.

Killbuck Kontainment Kapsule...

Killbuck

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion