Interesting read--open sale may be cancelled.

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Interesting read--open sale may be cancelled.

Postby Elderberry » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:57 am

JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Interesting read--open sale may be cancelled.

Postby BBadger » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:09 am

This really is the year of undermining peoples' plans.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Sail Man » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:12 am

Interesting. Part of the reason for skipping this year was to see how this new lottery system played out. I am not encouraged by what I see taking place with ticketing this year, as well as the plethora of established camps having their membership gutted by a lack of tickets. I truly hope the BORG fixes this SNAFU for next year and beyond.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Drawingablank » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:19 am

Sigh - looks like all us unticketed, small or solo camp folks better get our hands on some astroglide.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Igneouss » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:22 am

10k tickets will not come close to filling the gap.
If the LLC dumps their last 10k tickets on the theme campers then the secondary market will explode.
If you think there was scalping last year...you ain't seen nothing yet.

Or the LLC could hold the 10k tickets and trickle them out on the secondary market (via STEP) to keep the other secondary sources from jacking prices.

This would cause the maximum reduction in scalper price gouging. And in the end of the day all the tickets would find buyers.

cheers
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby lemur » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:35 am

WARNING, THIS ISNT NEWS ITS A FUCKIN BLOG...

B
L
O
G

BLOG

Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:41 am

I found this piece almost credible until I figured out who wrote it; the book plug woke me up. Not buying this, sorry.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby TinkerMom » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:42 am

Drawingablank wrote:Sigh - looks like all us unticketed, small or solo camp folks better get our hands on some astroglide.

Yup!! It's true!! And a scary thought, at that!

I am still trying to figure out a way home, for myself.
....the password is pineapple.........

Just throw it on the fire! It will kill it or cure it!!
TinkerMom

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity BDC

Postby lemur » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:50 am

I see your blog post! and I raise you.. one blog post!!!

http://www.depressing.org/2012/02/open- ... elled.html

my sources are pretty good..

(well, seeing as we dont know which sources either of us are referring to, i guess it doesnt matter much)
lemur

Postby trilobyte » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:53 am

I'm not buying it either. A significant amount of what that guy has written has turned out to be either wild speculation or complete bullshit, and he's even gotten published stats on previous years' events wrong on occasion (which is one thing when it's in a forum post, but unacceptable if you're writing an article for publication). That and all his posts tend to work in at least one or two plugs for his book, I wish the Guardian could find another contributor to cover playa-related news.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

APROPOS OF NOTHING.. (sort of.. or maybe not)

Postby lemur » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:05 am

trilobyte wrote:That and all his posts tend to work in at least one or two plugs for his book.

lemur

Postby stinkyfoot » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:10 am

Drawingablank wrote:Sigh - looks like all us unticketed, small or solo camp folks better get our hands on some astroglide.

Well, you know, you're actually just there to be entertained by the big theme camps. It's already been determined that there will be at least 40,000 virgins and spectators there who won't be contributing at all. The Borg's got to do something about offsetting all that dead weight with real participants.
stinkyfoot

Postby BBadger » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:12 am

lemur wrote:I see your blog post! and I raise you.. one blog post!!!

This is awesome. All disinformation sites/articles should have counter-disinformation sites made for them.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby lemur » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:14 am

yeah, the only way to 'paricipate' at burning man is to

#1 wearing a costume
#2 running or working for a theme camp
#3 building or working for a mutant vehicle crew
#4 building art or working for an art crew
#5 volunteering for the LLC

every body knows theres only 5 ways to participate at burning man.
lemur

Postby Drawingablank » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:34 am

Well, there is truly so much disinformation flying around these days it is hard to sift the wheat from the chaff.

I must admit that it struck a chord since that pretty much summed up what I have been expecting to happen and I'm probably not alone in that.

But I am struggling to maintain a positive attitude as this all plays out and will wait and see.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby The CO » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:03 am

"Sources say (insert the opposite of whatever is in fact happening) to ease the concerns of (Someone cranky who wrote a thinly veiled opinion/wishful thinking piece instead of journalism). Stay Tuned!"

lemur wrote:WARNING, THIS ISNT NEWS ITS A FUCKIN BLOG...

B
L
O
G

BLOG

M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby illy dilly » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:10 am

I hoping that there is another JRS that denies all of this article.
As much as I don't trust some blog from 'some guy', who even worse appears to be wrong plenty often
trilobyte wrote: A significant amount of what that guy has written has turned out to be either wild speculation or complete bullshit,

Though, when coupled with the statements from the February 7th JRS (a portion below), it makes you wonder if the BMorg is going to do something special for the theme camps.

All of us here at the Burning Man Organization wrote:Following phone conversations with major theme camp and art group organizers, we determined that only 20%-25% of the key people needed to bring those projects to the playa had received notifications for tickets. A number of people also told us they’d used multiple credit cards and asked friends to register for them as a way to increase their chances of getting tickets. Those who received more tickets than they need said they are considering how to redistribute them.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby JayBobBoy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:34 am

I guess if your a veteran burner without an established camp..your participation is not as valuable. And all this time I thought I was burning the right way..my way. Oh well, fuck it...
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
JayBobBoy

Burning Since: 2002

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:45 am

JayBobBoy wrote:Oh well, fuck it...

(Said more because I can than because I really believe it...)Blow Larry might be a more "fertile*" course of action.

*I was going to use fruitful, but in deference to the supposed theme I changed my wording.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BBadger » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:53 am

The CO wrote:"Sources say (insert the opposite of whatever is in fact happening) to ease the concerns of (Someone cranky who wrote a thinly veiled opinion/wishful thinking piece instead of journalism). Stay Tuned!"

Of course the article doesn't cite the source of the "sources." It's not "a source within the White House who requested not to be named," but just a "source"--some bar fly at the local tavern, another blogger's rant, the editor of your crummy self-authored book, some nitwit on ePlaya making up statistics and rumors, etc. Hell, why actually have a real source at all? Who will, or can, even question your "Deep Throat" source? Maybe you'll get creative and call your source "Hand Job" or "Dum Bass" just to change that shit up a bit. It's all the same thing.

Oh and buy my book!

BBadger

Postby lemur » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:09 am

BBadger wrote:
The CO wrote:"Sources say (insert the opposite of whatever is in fact happening) to ease the concerns of (Someone cranky who wrote a thinly veiled opinion/wishful thinking piece instead of journalism). Stay Tuned!"

Of course the article doesn't cite the source of the "sources." It's not "a source within the White House who requested not to be named," but just a "source"--some bar fly at the local tavern, another blogger's rant, the editor of your crummy self-authored book, some nitwit on ePlaya making up statistics and rumors, etc. Hell, why actually have a real source at all? Who will, or can, even question your "Deep Throat" source? Maybe you'll get creative and call your source "Hand Job" or "Dum Bass" just to change that shit up a bit. It's all the same thing.

Oh and buy my book!

DEWEY DEFEATS TRUMAN!!!!!
lemur

Postby The CO » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:11 am

BBadger, what's your book called?

*edit*

I knew a guy named Han Jhab once... he hated meeting new people...
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
The CO

Postby BBadger » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:16 am

The CO wrote:BBadger, what's your book called?

*edit*

I knew a guy named Han Jhab once... he hated meeting new people...

When I get a disinformation blog up you'll be the first to know!

BBadger

Postby The CO » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:18 am

Good, 'cause inquiring minds and all...
The CO

Postby vargaso » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:21 am

Pretty much every concern we've had with this whole process has come true, so I'm fairly confident this will be yet another one of those, especially because Marian basically hints at it in her comments. What this does it pretty much force the rest of us into the secondary market if we really want to go. Not saying I will, it's more and more likely I'll skip this year. But for a lot of people, that will be their only recourse aside from staying home. Which, yes, is certainly an option for them, but I'm more interested in probable human behavior.
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby CapnJoe » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:35 am

A sorry end to a sorry mess. Even though the leader of our theme camp wants a list of people who have no tickets to give to BM LLC, and they are hinting that tickets might be given out to camps that need them. Why did it have to come to this! I'm just not as excited about going this year because of this FIASCO! How could people that have ran BM for 25 years been so stupid?
CapnJoe

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:36 am

Well Joe, this is living proof that smoking pot does not make you smarter.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby FlyingMonkey » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:45 pm

stinkyfoot wrote:

It's already been determined that there will be at least 40,000 virgins and spectators there who won't be contributing at all. The Borg's got to do something about offsetting all that dead weight with real participants.

Screw You! (I mean that in a nice way of course)
How many "Veterans" are going this year and not contributing? Are we to assume that everyone who is going and has been there at least once is creating great works of art, interactive camps, and volunteering to help make the event a success? I bet at least 1 or 2 are non-contributing moochers (Notice I did not say stinky hippie) and more than a few virgins are going to contribute a hell of a lot.
I'm a burgin & you were one once too. I am involved with my regional, staying in an established village, & intend to contribute as much as I can. These "I hate virgins because I don't have a ticket" posts are getting old and a complete overgeneralization about one of many groups on the playa. Face it, more people want to go than there are tickets available. Virgins had the same odds as you for getting a ticket so don’t blame them.
Every year virgins go, are amazed and inspired, and leave the event yearning to get back home next year. Those virgins become vets & some participate more than others. Every year new art projects and camps show up on the Playa that are so fantastic and inspiring that it makes Burning Man seem like a special world that only exists for a week(Shangri-La). Guess what? All of it is made by people that were once virgins.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:00 pm

On a side note,(post rant) I really have no problem with "some" tickets being distributed to large projects & theme camps before being released to the masses. (I think it’s safe to assume that this already occurs to some extent & that some people have a ticket no matter what & don't have to play the lottery). This would ensure that established contributing veterans have tickets available to pull off their magic. Not to mention it would encourage more people to get involved with their regional groups. I don’t have an answer as to who would choose who gets how many tickets but I’m sure someone around here has an opinion about that.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby alt12 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:05 pm

lemur wrote:I see your blog post! and I raise you.. one blog post!!!

(well, seeing as we dont know which sources either of us are referring to, i guess it doesnt matter much)

Haha, very funny. True, its an unconfirmed rumor (but fits with what was insinuated in the last JRS). Honestly, I wouldn't put it past them given that nepotism is at the heart of this event. I could definitely see them finding some method to tilt tickets towards most-favored theme camps and art projects.... Of course its all speculation for now...
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Next

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion