The "missing" ticket mystery...

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

The "missing" ticket mystery...

Postby Arcticcircle » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:10 pm

A lot of people I now are wondering *who* exactly got tickets. Theories abound of rampant virgin interest, conspiracies to break up old timers' camps and grand scalper schemes. On the ground we're looking around and it just doesn't seem like enough tickets made it into the hands of the community to add up to the stated distribution numbers. Right? Where are the "missing" tickets?

Think of all the people you know who won tickets. You'd expect there to be a reasonably even distribution of *which* tier they won, right? It would represent the overall distribution. But at least in my world, I only know tier one and tier two winners. I've *heard* that tier three winners exist, but they certainly aren't showing up in the proportion they should. It's so clear! *smacks forehead* Here's what I think happened:

The event sold out last year and was expected to sell out again. No one knew just *how* much bigger demand would be, but when they kept the tier system and gave everyone an equal shot at the low priced tickets, it became an absolute sure thing for an enterprising scalper. The top tier *might* turn a profit, but the lowest tier is a no-brainer win. I have a hunch that scalpers went in HUGE on the lowest tier tickets. I don't think your average burner had a prayer at that level. It explains why, despite scalpers, burners did win some tickets in the pricey categories. A lot of scalpers didn't want to take the risk at the 390 level. I don't think there was some grand scheme... I think that having the tiered price system in a general admission sell-out event is an absolute guarantee that the low tier will be rampaged by bad actors (organized or otherwise) who know that in a sell-out environment, they can make their money back guaranteed. And maybe turn a big profit.

So where are all of our tickets? The expensive ones? We got 'em. The cheap ones? They got 'em.

It's clear from the distribution patterns that scalpers were a little shy of the expensive tickets this year, but next year they won't be. Scalping will be worse. So next year? Let's go first come first serve... people who care about getting a ticket the most run for their computers the second they go on sale, people who care a little less drag their feet. We put names on tickets, so the scalpers can't buy everything up with their scalp-o-bots, and we're back in business for Burning Man 2013.

This is going to be a reallllly interesting year on the playa. I predict that there will be some cool silver linings amid the wreckage. But man, for now... what a mess. Hope to make it out there, though.

This guy wrote a great blog about the 2012 ticket situation: http://alchangplus.blogspot.com/2012/02 ... l?spref=fb
Arcticcircle
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:42 am

Re: The "missing" ticket mystery...

Postby The CO » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:21 pm

What's your evidence of tickets missing?

40,000 tickets sold. Call me crazy, but maybe some of those people aren't talking.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
User avatar
The CO
 
Posts: 1571
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:56 am
Location: I-CORPS, M*A*S*H HQ
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Re: The "missing" ticket mystery...

Postby graidawg » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:22 pm

oh just fuck off this has been covered already stop with the ew threads every two seconds on subjects that have been covered. its getting old and boring.
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
User avatar
graidawg
 
Posts: 3091
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:50 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Re: The "missing" ticket mystery...

Postby lemur » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:23 pm

why not post this in the thread where people are discussing this?

viewtopic.php?f=290&t=53763

"Do the math: over 50% of tickets went to scalpers "
Don't link to anything here!
User avatar
lemur
 
Posts: 3599
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:07 pm
Location: Madagascar
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Re: The "missing" ticket mystery...

Postby Elorrum » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:25 pm

did I get this wrong. I thought the price you chose was the highest you would pay, and you were eligible in the draws for all tickets up to the price. eh whatever
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
There’s no WIFI but you’ll surely make a better connection.
Image
User avatar
Elorrum
 
Posts: 5049
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:09 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: The "missing" ticket mystery...

Postby Arcticcircle » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:38 pm

Fuck off? Yikes. :(
Arcticcircle
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:42 am

Re: The "missing" ticket mystery...

Postby Jackass » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:43 pm

Arcticcircle wrote:Fuck off? Yikes. :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token
User avatar
Jackass
 
Posts: 1057
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:25 pm
Location: way out in left field

Re: The "missing" ticket mystery...

Postby graidawg » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:44 pm

sorry that was probably a bit harsh but its really getting irritating now this ticket frenzy of complaints/conspiricy or just moaning. nothing personal
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
User avatar
graidawg
 
Posts: 3091
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:50 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Re: The "missing" ticket mystery...

Postby teal1960 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:08 pm

Fellow Burners, this is a petition I have started, which is a suggestion for a solution. The solution is in this community and its up to us to work together to get there.

http://www.change.org/petitions/the-burning-man-organization-develop-a-new-process-for-purchasing-distribution-of-burning-man-tickets
User avatar
teal1960
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:22 pm
Location: Novato, CA

Re: The "missing" ticket mystery...

Postby The CO » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:50 pm

teal1960 wrote:The solution is in this community and its up to us to work together to get there.


Yes yes yes! Your getting it.

teal1960 wrote:Fellow Burners, this is a petition I have started,


No no no! Direct action. Write a letter/email yourself, personally. Online petitions in this case are worth the paper they aren't printed on.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
User avatar
The CO
 
Posts: 1571
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:56 am
Location: I-CORPS, M*A*S*H HQ
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Re: The "missing" ticket mystery...

Postby teal1960 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:03 pm

Give me an email address of someone at bmorg....and I will send it directly....Marian Goodell?
User avatar
teal1960
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:22 pm
Location: Novato, CA

Re: The "missing" ticket mystery...

Postby The CO » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:14 pm

teal1960 wrote:Give me an email address of someone at bmorg....and I will send it directly....Marian Goodell?


First, you should say please when asking for something.
Manners are how we keep from becoming a flock of pigeons.

Second, no.
If you take 20 seconds to look on http://burningman.com/ will find you multiple ways to contact the org. This is a do-ocracy. So, do it yourself.


*added in edit*

The org reads eplaya. Go to this thread and state your ideas.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
User avatar
The CO
 
Posts: 1571
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:56 am
Location: I-CORPS, M*A*S*H HQ
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Re: The "missing" ticket mystery...

Postby teal1960 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:28 pm

Thank you for the suggestions....a bit of a harsh delivery though.
User avatar
teal1960
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:22 pm
Location: Novato, CA

Re: The "missing" ticket mystery...

Postby Eric » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:47 pm

teal1960 wrote:Thank you for the suggestions....a bit of a harsh delivery though.


If you read through the threads in the Ticket section (good luck, there's hundreds of threads, thousands of posts) you'll see where the harsh delivery is coming from. Lots of people are posting their ideas for solutions without reading any of the existing threads that may (or may not) cover that. It tends to wear down peoples politeness.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
User avatar
Eric
Moderator
 
Posts: 8378
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: The "missing" ticket mystery...

Postby The CO » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:54 pm

Eric, maybe I should hire you as my editor....

*edit*

Teal, you're welcome.

Sorry if I come across abrasively. It's only because I'm kind of an asshole at times.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
User avatar
The CO
 
Posts: 1571
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:56 am
Location: I-CORPS, M*A*S*H HQ
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Re: The "missing" ticket mystery...

Postby graidawg » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:00 pm

Eric wrote:
teal1960 wrote:Thank you for the suggestions....a bit of a harsh delivery though.


If you read through the threads in the Ticket section (good luck, there's hundreds of threads, thousands of posts) you'll see where the harsh delivery is coming from. Lots of people are posting their ideas for solutions without reading any of the existing threads that may (or may not) cover that. It tends to wear down peoples politeness.



yes got that right Eric my politness is gone. totally.

if you know me i am the politest person i know how to be, you catch far more with honey then vinegar (even more with beer) but i have had enough i left eplaya for a while because having to wade throught the many many threads all saying the same thing was getting me down. but i like my friends here, its a really good way to chat with them.
so i decided to stop being polite and to tell people how annoyed i am with them for spoiling my burn, now if they dont like it then they have 3 choices shout back, which could be fun but ultimately pointless. Or they could find a thread that covers the topic they want to talk about and post it there, i promise there is thread just like your clever idea on how tickets can have names on them. Or they can take offence and go forth and multiply elsewhere.
i will be nice once in reply though so i guess my politness isnt totally gone.

BUT ONLY ONCE SO DONT PUSH YOUR LUCK
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
User avatar
graidawg
 
Posts: 3091
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:50 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Re: The "missing" ticket mystery...

Postby teal1960 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:16 pm

@the CO....I appreciate that. I can be a bit of an asshole myself, especially in trying to deal with this ticket debacle. Pretty difficult to plan a block party with 4 other camps, and imagine what kind of year its going to be when very few of my friends, artists, theme camps and other attendees have tickets. The petition was a way to hopefully move this situation in a more positive direction though community.
User avatar
teal1960
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:22 pm
Location: Novato, CA

Re: The "missing" ticket mystery...

Postby bluesbob » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:18 pm

I
"aw shucks.." - Eric
bluesbob
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: Fullerton, CA.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Re: The "missing" ticket mystery...

Postby Savannah » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:23 pm

The CO wrote:What's your evidence of tickets missing?

40,000 tickets sold. Call me crazy, but maybe some of those people aren't talking.


I believe it.

Mod hat off . . . because this is a personal theory not to be mistaken for [whatever].

Say I were a camp leader (I'm not) with money to Burn (ha!) and I had purchased 4 pre-sale tickets (as allowed). One for myself, 3 more for my camp.

You'd better believe I wouldn't admit to having 3 extras. (So imagine the person who has acted inappropriately with relatives' CCs, and has more than that?) I'd be terribly "popular" and unpopular all at once. What a hassle.

Anyway, I'd be checking up on my group--socially, not with any offers--to see who was successful on their own. These folks could be (happily) crossed off the list of the needy. Then I'd make a list and order possible recipients based on several factors: 1) proven utility to my camp 2) sentimental relationship 3) personal resourcefulness (certain folks are well-suited to ticket chasing, networking & paying all tiers; whereas others need more help). Etc.

This is where, I theorize, the virtual tickets "are". Being moved around in holograph form with pen & paper, in spreadsheets, or on whiteboards. These are the tickets that in the next few weeks will make a few folks quietly change from "without" to "with", and generally without saying where it came from, to protect the person who sold it from having to defend their choice of buyer.

Not all private sales would have a reason to happen right now though. They're much more likely to happen in a small way at first: "Bill", who ordered 2 tickets, sells 1 to "Carl", his best friend. An obvious choice equals an obvious sale.

A Leader with extra tickets--if they could afford to float all credit card payments in January, or now--might actually want to see what happens with STEP and the Open Sale for their campmates, before they distribute spare tickets. Because if a campmate manages to fend for themselves in STEP or the Open Sale, the extra ticket (or tickets) goes even farther.
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 11307
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: The "missing" ticket mystery...

Postby vargaso » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:28 pm

graidawg wrote:
Eric wrote:
teal1960 wrote:Thank you for the suggestions....a bit of a harsh delivery though.


If you read through the threads in the Ticket section (good luck, there's hundreds of threads, thousands of posts) you'll see where the harsh delivery is coming from. Lots of people are posting their ideas for solutions without reading any of the existing threads that may (or may not) cover that. It tends to wear down peoples politeness.



yes got that right Eric my politness is gone. totally.

if you know me i am the politest person i know how to be, you catch far more with honey then vinegar (even more with beer) but i have had enough i left eplaya for a while because having to wade throught the many many threads all saying the same thing was getting me down. but i like my friends here, its a really good way to chat with them.
so i decided to stop being polite and to tell people how annoyed i am with them for spoiling my burn, now if they dont like it then they have 3 choices shout back, which could be fun but ultimately pointless. Or they could find a thread that covers the topic they want to talk about and post it there, i promise there is thread just like your clever idea on how tickets can have names on them. Or they can take offence and go forth and multiply elsewhere.
i will be nice once in reply though so i guess my politness isnt totally gone.

BUT ONLY ONCE SO DONT PUSH YOUR LUCK


Or you could log off now that you've heard all the ideas you need to hear, apparently.
User avatar
vargaso
 
Posts: 573
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:26 pm
Location: Lincoln, CA
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Re: The "missing" ticket mystery...

Postby International Incident » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:01 pm

The CO wrote:
teal1960 wrote:Give me an email address of someone at bmorg....and I will send it directly....Marian Goodell?


First, you should say please when asking for something.
Manners are how we keep from becoming a flock of pigeons.

Second, no.
If you take 20 seconds to look on http://burningman.com/ will find you multiple ways to contact the org. This is a do-ocracy. So, do it yourself.


*added in edit*

The org reads eplaya. Go to this thread and state your ideas.


I second that
User avatar
International Incident
 
Posts: 1007
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:05 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Re: The "missing" ticket mystery...

Postby International Incident » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:03 pm

teal1960 wrote:Thank you for the suggestions....a bit of a harsh delivery though.



Actually don’t think it was too harsh. Personally I’d rather the BMorg are just allowed to get on with their job. They don’t need more people telling them their woes... I suspect they kinda get it.
User avatar
International Incident
 
Posts: 1007
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:05 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Re: The "missing" ticket mystery...

Postby Killbuck » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:06 pm

Image
SIDESHOW: Carnival of Smoke and Mirrors 2015 is looking for drop-in performers!! Do you have a freaky talent, skill or characteristic? Do you lay on a bed of nails, or swallow swords? PM me if interested.
User avatar
Killbuck
 
Posts: 2895
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:32 pm
Location: Nevada
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Re: The "missing" ticket mystery...

Postby burner von braun » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:38 pm

.
..is good artwerk Komrade Kernul..!!


and.. yes!
melaniejane wrote: Personally I’d rather the BMorg are just allowed to get on with their job. They don’t need more people telling them their woes... I suspect they kinda get it.
Another early attempt at success
User avatar
burner von braun
 
Posts: 981
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:37 pm
Burning Since: 2010

Re: The "missing" ticket mystery...

Postby teal1960 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:49 pm

melaniejane wrote:
teal1960 wrote:Thank you for the suggestions....a bit of a harsh delivery though.



Actually don’t think it was too harsh. Personally I’d rather the BMorg are just allowed to get on with their job. They don’t need more people telling them their woes... I suspect they kinda get it.


I suspect they get it too. I had a suggestion towards a solution, not another story of woes. Sitting around lamenting woes is for spectators, looking at solutions is for participants.
User avatar
teal1960
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:22 pm
Location: Novato, CA

Re: The "missing" ticket mystery...

Postby The CO » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:57 pm

teal1960 wrote:Sitting around lamenting woes is for spectators, looking at solutions is for participants.


You're doing it right.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
User avatar
The CO
 
Posts: 1571
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:56 am
Location: I-CORPS, M*A*S*H HQ
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Re: The "missing" ticket mystery...

Postby teal1960 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:27 pm

@the CO, thank you. :!:
User avatar
teal1960
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:22 pm
Location: Novato, CA


Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest