Maid Marian talks about ticket issues on the Burning Blog

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Maid Marian talks about ticket issues on the Burning Blo

Postby lemur » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:48 am

gibson_ wrote:Stop with this "demand just increased!" nonsense. No, demand did not jump 300% in one year. Scalpers gamed the system, how this isn't completely obvious to some of you is depressing.

It is not nonsense.

the burning man facebook page went from 30,000 people to 300,000 people in a year.. And right before the main lottery happened a youtube video hit social media websites and news sites all over the world and over 1 million people saw it.

even if 2% or 3% of the youtube viewers decided to go that could account for the massive over demand.

not even considering the 10 fold increase in facebook interest.

Yes, over demand is real.. many more people want to go to burning man than in 2011 (which also sold out.. even before the heightened public interest that the youtube video and facebook awareness gave)

the less than 1% of currently sold tickets being made available on ticket resale sites just doesnt show a pattern of scalpers gaming the system.

the 1.2 million views youtube video, and 10fold increase in facebook awareness surely shows much more of a pattern toward more people wanting to go than the 1% of available tickets ending up on resale sites says about scalpers gaming the system
Last edited by lemur on Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby shykat » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:51 am

Out of those 700 camps, how many where campers where in them for just the real estate?

How many core campers does it really take to serve Sno -cones all week?

I love Sno- Cone camps btw........
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix
shykat

Postby marcgorcey » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:55 am

lemur wrote:
gibson_ wrote:Stop with this "demand just increased!" nonsense. No, demand did not jump 300% in one year. Scalpers gamed the system, how this isn't completely obvious to some of you is depressing.

It is not nonsense.

the burning man facebook page went from 30,000 people to 300,000 people in a year.. And right before the main lottery happened a youtube video hit social media websites and news sites all over the world and over 1 million people saw it.

even if 2% or 3% of the youtube viewers decided to go that could account for the massive over demand.

not even considering the 10 fold increase in facebook interest.

Yes, over demand is real.. many more people want to go to burning man than in 2011 (which also sold out.. even before the heightened public interest that the youtube video and facebook awareness gave)

the less than 1% of currently sold tickets being made available on ticket resale sites just doesnt show a pattern of scalpers gaming the system.

the 1.2 million views youtube video, and 10fold increase in facebook awareness surely shows much more of a pattern toward more people wanting to go than the 1% of available tickets ending up on resale sites says about scalpers gaming the system

That was, I understand, 1 million hits not 1 million people. I'm a burner and watched it 3 or 4 times myself.

Tickets available on resale sites at this point isn't a measure of anything. They don't have tickets in hand yet, and they may be laying low in anticipation of retaliation by the BMORG.
Last edited by marcgorcey on Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
marcgorcey

Postby playa hanjin » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:58 am

lemur wrote:So, then you WERE given a chance, just like everyone else who entered the lottery..
edit: but you wanted it tilted in your favor?

No. I wanted 1 entry for 1 ticket. Not 12 entries for 1 ticket, as I saw many people, including my friends, do.

I'm not going to argue this point with you beyond this post because I sense that you have decided that everything's fine, the lottery was fair, and everything will be okay for "true burners" or some such shite. I won't try to change your mind.

I just want to go on record as saying: regular folks registering for 6 tickets when they only needed 2 is the same thing as massively increased demand.

The story on these boards, and the Burning Man Org's own admission, lays out quite clearly what happened: most people way, way over-registered. This is a direct result of a lottery system with zero registration costs.

If you don't understand this, I can be of no further help to you.

Good luck and have a great Burn (if you're going).
playa hanjin

Postby lemur » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:02 am

marcgorcey wrote:
That was, I understand, 1 million hits not 1 million people. I'm a burner and watched it 3 or 4 times myself.

ok if everyone who saw it watched it twice we still have 500,000 people seeing it, if 4% of those people decided to go it accounts for the massive over demand

if everyone who saw it watched it 4 times thats 250,000 people and if less than 10% of those people decided to go it accounts for the massive over demand.

playa hanjin wrote:
I just want to go on record as saying: regular folks registering for 6 tickets when they only needed 2 is the same thing as massively increased demand.

it seems that youre precluding the chance that people massively over registering AND a massive amount of newcomer interest created a situation where many didnt get a ticket.

the massive amount of newcomer interest can explain why the massive over registration armies didnt succeed (see: LLC claiming that only 20-25% of theme camp core crew members ended up with tickets instead of 100%)
lemur

Postby Kimo » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:17 am

I'll probably get blacklisted for saying this and my chances of getting a ticket now will be 1 in a million.... But, the official spokesperson is, IMHO.... INCOMPETENT!

So Marian Goodell goes to LA this week to speak about how to successfully manage and grow your event. HA! What a joke! Maybe she can pick up some pointers on how NOT to have a lottery as a means of distributing tickets? In the video (link below) she states "we will figure it out as we go" in regards to the current disastrous situation. WTF!? STOP THE BLEEDING NOW!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBd4LLDy ... ata_player
Kimo

Postby Elorrum » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:34 am

Encourage your customers to believe they are participants.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby shykat » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:38 am

Elorrum wrote:Encourage your customers to believe they are participants.

Worked for Tom Sawyer....
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix
shykat

Postby Elorrum » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:40 am

shykat wrote:
Elorrum wrote:Encourage your customers to believe they are participants.

Worked for Tom Sawyer....

good point.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:33 pm

Why camps? I think that Pier II not being there would be a bigger loss than Thunderdome, or even Apok.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Minxy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:36 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Why camps? I think that Pier II not being there would be a bigger loss than Thunderdome, or even Apok.

I was thinking that myself. I get they are concerned that the theme camps might not come and make "their" event as good as it usually is but Black Rock City is so much more than theme camps! The contributions that many individuals (or small groups) bring to the playa is just as important as theme camps, IMO.
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Postby Hypnobella » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:25 pm

[quote="theCryptofishist"]Why camps? I think that Pier II not being there would be a bigger loss than Thunderdome, or even Apok.[/quote]

Yes, but if TD isn't there, who will jump off the edge of Pier II 30 people strong in a mass suicide attempt? ;)

Seriously though-Pier provided so much entertainment. I would love to see them back.
"Days Since Last Injury:0-Bringing You Senseless Violence Since 1999"
Hypnobella

Postby BMG » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:36 pm

Lemur, to my mind there seems to be a small chip on your shoulder.
BMG

Postby lemur » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:21 am

its actually a potato.
lemur

Postby The CO » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:35 am

Graidawg calls them 'crisps'.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby lemur » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:38 am

i considered typing that after i posted about the potato, for our international buddies across the pond..

but then i considered that pretending to be a subject of the queen when im not actually one might have earned me an asbo.

potato it is.
lemur

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:34 am

Very thematic, Lemur. Thank you.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Previous

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion