Question about scalpers tickets being cancelled?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Question about scalpers tickets being cancelled?

Postby tinydancr » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:16 pm

Question. If people are caught selling (yes I know its happening) numerous and over face value tix on StubHub Craigslist, etc.. is their entry/ticket revoked since nobody will actually have tix until June?? Do those go into the general pool for the March 28th sale? Because that would be sweet.
shut up and dance.
tinydancr

Re: Question about scalpers tickets being cancelled?

Postby AntiM » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:31 pm

tinydancr wrote:Question. If people are caught selling (yes I know its happening) numerous and over face value tix on StubHub Craigslist, etc.. is their entry/ticket revoked since nobody will actually have tix until June?? Do those go into the general pool for the March 28th sale? Because that would be sweet.

People were shooting around links to an ebay auction from a seller who proclaimed he was a burner who could not attend and he was selling the tickets for as much as the market would bear.

The sale was reported to the ticket team. The order was cancelled (honest). Shortly after, another ebay sale and a Craigslist were yanked after being reported to the ticket team. One may draw the conclusion the ticket orders were also cancelled.

What happens to the tickets? Dunno.

Stubhub is a legit reseller, and their actions, while reprehensible, are quite legal. Unless they stick to their own policy of no speculative tickets, but that seems unlikely.

Don't flag scalpers on Craigslist and get the listing yanked... send the listing to the ticket team and let them deal with it. If the listing gets booted, they can't track the buyer and do something about the ticket order. Email addy is on the main ticket page.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Fufa » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:56 pm

I hope this kinda thing does happen; the seller on stubhub that somehow has 8 tickets to sell at over $1500 EACH seems highly suspicious. :|
Fufa

Burning Since: 2010

Postby AntiM » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:57 pm

Fufa wrote:I hope this kinda thing does happen; the seller on stubhub that somehow has 8 tickets to sell at over $1500 EACH seems highly suspicious. :|

At this point, stubhub is untouchable. It is individuals who can be taken down.
AntiM

Postby Fufa » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:07 pm

AntiM wrote:
Fufa wrote:I hope this kinda thing does happen; the seller on stubhub that somehow has 8 tickets to sell at over $1500 EACH seems highly suspicious. :|

I realize that, which is too bad. I just hope that it's not a start of a trend of scalper tickets to pop up on other websites in the coming weeks and months.
Fufa

Burning Since: 2010

Postby pink » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:03 am

AntiM wrote:

Bleh for Stubhub, but Booyah!!! For individuals to go down. That's one or two or four more for the rest of us.

Now if I could only find out who the guy with 10 tix on Fetlife is....
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby u2pilot » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:11 am

I believe auctions can be cancelled for selling something you don't have, and I'm pretty sure eBay reserves the right to cancel any auction for any reason. It helps that you're not paying them for the listing up front. On the flip side, I've not seen anything in terms and conditions that gives the BORG the right to revoke your ticket for reselling it over face or for anything else except unacceptable behavior at the event. Also, it's your ticket, bought from Burning Man. They took your money for the ticket. Completely different from eBay, and much harder to revoke. AFAIK.
u2pilot

Postby AntiM » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:44 am

From the back of the ticket* (imagine, I have one handy):

"This ticket is a revocable license that may be revoked by Burning Man for any reason."

Oh hell yes they can dis-invite anyone from their party any time they care to do so. Pretty much for any reason.

Scalpers, revoked!

*a used stub, no, I don't have one in hand, silly geese.
AntiM

Postby u2pilot » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:08 pm

I hear what you're saying AntiM, but I sure wouldn't want to be defending the Borg unless the terms and conditions of sale specifically said that any tickets found to have been sold above cost can be revoked. And unless the Borg goes as aggressively after the guy selling his one extra ticket on Stubhub for $625 as they do these guys. Otherwise it looks like discrimination. Without actually checking, I'm pretty sure that everything the borg has been saying about scalping has been a "please don't buy from them," and not a "we're coming to get your tickets back."

In California a non-compete agreement signed by an employee is completely non-enforceable. Thinking is, you can't prevent a person from earning a living. Court could well look at a scalper in a similar light.
u2pilot

Postby lucky420 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:54 pm

Scalping is not illegal in Nevada
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby OregonRed » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:12 pm

AntiM wrote:"This ticket is a revocable license that may be revoked by Burning Man for any reason."

They do not have to be more specific than that. That means if you piss off the wrong person with the right ties to the event, they can throw your ass out. Hell, they could throw you out for not liking your costume. Not that they would, but the phrase "for any reason" covers their asses for exactly this type of situation we're seeing now. They are most certainly within their legal rights to yank tickets from scalping pieces of shit.

Scalping may be legal in NV, but that doesn't mean the BORG is going to let them keep the tickets that they are trying to sell at an unreasonable mark-up.
M*A*S*H 4207 We're not doctors.

"Just be yourself. All the good personalities are taken." stolen from my amazing friend Dwayne Gerken's fb status post.

OregonRed

Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:24 pm

Yea, I posted this in the Ticket AVAILABLE thread. I think the concern (at this point) over scalpers may be a little alarmist. If there are a "bunch", the scalpers still need to figure out how to unload them without a HARD ticket.

thisisthatwhichis wrote:I'm not even sure how folks could be purchasing from the scalpers Stubhubs. Are you really sending money with a promise of a HARD ticket in July? I don't even think the ORG has provided info on how to change the delivery of July tickets yet.....

Just curious......
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

Postby Bounce530 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:00 pm

Most everybody is up in arms over nothing. All tickets that have been sold are void anyway, because lottery is gambling, and gambling is illegal where the drawing took place (as far as I know). So nobody has, or will get tickets anyway, cause that would be baaaad...

:roll: :lol:
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion