BRC Fails to even search for duplicate names??

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

BRC Fails to even search for duplicate names??

Postby fembot » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:06 pm

From a friend who has a bit of insider information who passed along this tidbit...

"Just copied this from the blog-o-sphere...

This guy's " friend" called. He and 2 other friends entered a total of 40 times for 2 tix each. 80 tix. They got 18. He went to BM last year for 4 days. He intends to sell the tix for $1000 each. He offered me tix for $750 each because he is my “friend”. He has no intention of going himself. Says last year sucked. He intends to make a. $10,000 profit for his effort. Laughed at me when I said that it was against the principals to scalp. Thats where the tix are. "

Please correct me if I am misinformed, I very much hope to be wrong. If this is in any way true, you have not done proper due diligence. It would be a piece of cake to do name search. I even had my first order cancelled because I changed the payment source because I was concerned about this issue, hoping that BRC would do that much to hold integrity, a simple export and word sort would solve that issue in seconds. It's not too late to do this research and cancel tickets of scalpers, and circulate them back into the 10,000 for March 28th.

The circus continues.... a little foresight and wisdom could have avoided all of this.
fembot

Re: BRC Fails to even search for duplicate names??

Postby VampireKitten » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:37 pm

If this is the case, I would love to see BMorg step up and pull tickets from duplicate names & refund money. Granted you can't catch everyone, but if he truly did get that many tickets it probably wont go unnoticed.
VampireKitten

Burning Since: 2012

Postby AntiM » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:38 pm

fembot wrote:From a friend who has a bit of insider information who passed along this tidbit...

This guy's " friend" called. He and 2 other friends entered a total of 40 times for 2 tix each. 80 tix. They got 18. He went to BM last year for 4 days. He intends to sell the tix for $1000 each. He offered me tix for $750 each because he is my “friend”. He has no intention of going himself. Says last year sucked. He intends to make a. $10,000 profit for his effort. Laughed at me when I said that it was against the principals to scalp. Thats where the tix are. "

Please correct me if I am misinformed, I very much hope to be wrong. If this is in any way true, you have not done proper due diligence. It would be a piece of cake to do name search. I even had my first order cancelled because I changed the payment source because I was concerned about this issue, hoping that BRC would do that much to hold integrity, a simple export and word sort would solve that issue in seconds. It's not too late to do this research and cancel tickets of scalpers, and circulate them back into the 10,000 for March 28th.

The circus continues.... a little foresight and wisdom could have avoided all of this.

Supposedly, the list was scrubbed for duplicates.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:41 pm

From a friend? Backtrack the blog. Get more info, if this guy and his friends can be identified, their order can be cancelled.
AntiM

Postby ygmir » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:16 pm

and how do you know, they're not doing that?
Looking for scalpers, and then planning on negating their purchases?
They have until June, to locate, identify, and deal with, scalpers and not have to chase a ticket.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby lucky420 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:53 pm

and how do you know, they're not doing that?
They have until June, to locate, identify, and deal with, scalpers and not have to chase a ticket.

**swoon**
Thank you dear Ygmir, that made me feel even better towards thinking positive of obtaining a golden ticket
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby alt12 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:03 pm

fembot wrote:From a friend who has a bit of insider information who passed along this tidbit...

This sounds like utter and complete bullshit. It is so laughably over the top its barely worth responding to....
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Postby AntiM » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:05 pm

ygmir wrote:and how do you know, they're not doing that?

I know of three orders today which got yanked.

I thought there was a bit of exaggeration, but if there is any truth, it will be dealt with if such people can be tracked down when they offer tickets for more than face (before June).
AntiM

Postby Jackass » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:09 pm

Orders getting yanked? Sounds like a good thread.. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token
Jackass

Postby u2pilot » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:34 am

Don't get me wrong. This whole system is bullshit, and I hate scalpers. Still, what in the terms and conditions gives the Borg the right to rescind a sale because the tickets are going to be resold over face? I know they have the right to remove you as a buyer if you got caught in advance, but this is now a valid sales contract and they've received payment. I'm questioning the Borg's legal right to back out of a binding contract.
u2pilot

Postby 18xbrewer » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:38 am

Yeah it'll get fixed, just like it did last year when people would up paying more than a grand a ticket :roll:
18xbrewer

Postby JStep » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:48 am

u2pilot wrote:I'm questioning the Borg's legal right to back out of a binding contract.

Hence the quote from Marian Goodel:

"But Goodell said it was too late to re-do this week's lottery -- "not possible," she said -- even though the physical tickets won't be mailed out until June. She said the LLC has divided up information-gathering tasks now and will regroup soon to decide how to proceed, with options including tweaks to the rules for the March 28 ticket sale or working with the BLM to bump up the population cap, an option that would raise other problems.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby AntiM » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:10 am

u2pilot wrote:Don't get me wrong. This whole system is bullshit, and I hate scalpers. Still, what in the terms and conditions gives the Borg the right to rescind a sale because the tickets are going to be resold over face? I know they have the right to remove you as a buyer if you got caught in advance, but this is now a valid sales contract and they've received payment. I'm questioning the Borg's legal right to back out of a binding contract.

Read the back of the ticket, it is a "revocable license". Hell yes they can dis-invite anyone they like, at any time, if that is so. I'm presuming that includes cancelling ticket orders.
AntiM

Postby Token » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:15 am

For all those thinking there is some grand scrubbing scheme for duplicate names, addresses etc. ...

... There is none. You cant do any of that and still maintain any kind of fairness.

Lots of people with the same name go to BM.

Lots of households full of roommates go to BM.

The only thing you can do is comb for duplicate credit card numbers. That's it.

And with disposable pre-paid cards being a dime a dozen ... Well, there you have it.
Token

Postby AntiM » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:22 am

I was under the impression they were looking for complete duplicate entries. Which would be dumb on the part of those registering themselves more than once, but apparently it happens.
AntiM

Postby marcgorcey » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:25 am

[quote="Token"]For all those thinking there is some grand scrubbing scheme for duplicate names, addresses etc. ...

... There is none. You cant do any of that and still maintain any kind of fairness.

Lots of people with the same name go to BM.

Lots of households full of roommates go to BM.

The only thing you can do is comb for duplicate credit card numbers. That's it.

And with disposable pre-paid cards being a dime a dozen ... Well, there you have it.[/quote]

If that were the case, then how was the lottery system ever supposed to keep out scalpers ?
marcgorcey

Postby Token » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:37 am

marcgorcey wrote:
If that were the case, then how was the lottery system ever supposed to keep out scalpers ?

The same way we elect politicians to office. They lie and we believe.

There are some tools of the trade but for the most part it's non-effective.

I've talked with allot of folks that work for companies that deal with this issue and the consensus is that there is no way to effectively prevent this situation without favoring one group over another.

It was a random lottery. People stacked the odds. Can't adjudicate morality or behavior.
Token

Postby Steel Kitty » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:52 am

Ticket Brokering is big business. I know of one friend who does this professionally. Here are some links for some really useful information on the amount of information that exists for people who don't really care about the event, but see Burning Man as an event that has scarcity, like the Super Bowl and a way to make money. Hell, there's even a National Association of Ticket Brokers.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/34/ot ... ad-851672/

And a very true, and very telling quote from this message board:

"fair enough, but at the start of the show the person in that seat is still a fan. scalpers don't keep fans out, they keep fans with less disposable income out.."

http://reviews.ebay.com/Ultimate-Guide- ... 0003263483
Life isn't about arriving at the grave well preserved, but rather, sliding in sideways yelling "Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Steel Kitty

Postby havoc » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:29 am

Steel Kitty wrote:Ticket Brokering is big business. I know of one friend who does this professionally. Here are some links for some really useful information on the amount of information that exists for people who don't really care about the event, but see Burning Man as an event that has scarcity, like the Super Bowl and a way to make money. Hell, there's even a National Association of Ticket Brokers.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/34/ot ... ad-851672/

And a very true, and very telling quote from this message board:

"fair enough, but at the start of the show the person in that seat is still a fan. scalpers don't keep fans out, they keep fans with less disposable income out.."

http://reviews.ebay.com/Ultimate-Guide- ... 0003263483

disgusting. that's not capitalism (which i think is a dubious argument at best for it's legitimacy, but that's another argument), that's cheating the legitimate systems in place for ticketing. gaming the system might work, but that doesn't make it legitimate. :evil:
havoc

Postby karma_cat » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:43 am

Hey Fembot,

Send your "friend's" info to:

partiserv (at) burningmn (dot) com

They will happily scrub him and all his tickets from the database and give everyone who's not a scalper a chance to get them :)
karma_cat

Postby frankbank » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:12 pm

I'm sorry but BMORG allowed us to pay with debit prepaid cards. I could put in 50 different names and use 50 different prepad debit cards. Not trying to bring us down, but :( This is something anyone could do, simple quick and easy.
frankbank

Postby mshaman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:14 pm

frankbank wrote:I'm sorry but BMORG allowed us to pay with debit prepaid cards. I could put in 50 different names and use 50 different prepad debit cards. Not trying to bring us down, but :( This is something anyone could do, simple quick and easy.

If you have $390x100 (2 per order) = $39,000 to bet.
The road of life is littered with flat squirrels who couldn't decide.
mshaman

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion