A new concern about scalpers that should be shared

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

A new concern about scalpers that should be shared

Postby karma_cat » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:33 pm

So regardless of how many tickets got into scalper's hands there is one new major problem for anyone even thinking of buying a ticket from them (and I highly suggest that you don't).

Since the tickets won't be sent out until June any "legitimate" scalper with a single ticket could "resell" that ticket multiple times at higher and higher prices. Then when they do send it out, they could only send it to the person who paid the most ... and then "refund" the people who were essentially outbid in an auction they didn't know existed.

Since they'd be returning the money to the 'losers' they could claim to have not done anything wrong ... but in the meantime they'd have a ton our money to play with for six months and do whatever they like.

So buyer be VERY warned about scalpers this year. VERY VERY warned.'

I think that BMORG should publicize this as a major reason to avoid ALL scalpers.
karma_cat

Re: A new concern about scalpers that should be shared

Postby pink » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:01 pm

Scamming is a possibility too. Last year at least one ticket was used in ads about a zillion times.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby socks » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:42 pm

What do you do when the scalpers have half of the tickets
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence
socks

Postby lessrules » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:29 am

socks wrote:What do you do when the scalpers have half of the tickets

I'm willing to bet that scalpers do not have anywheres near half of the tix. There are so many burners without tix, that when someone tries to sell them at profit, that the sellers will be bombarded with pressure to sell at FV or put them into STEP.

I can see vendictive burners taking every angle to fuck with any scalper in any way possible. -getting info on ticket buyer and reporting to BMORG -buying tix, then reversing credit card charge -asking to meet scalper at certain time/place and not showing up multiple times. offering to pay more for tix, and drawing it out to make scalper loose possible sales.... I'm sure there are so many ways.... Ohhhh it's going to suck for a burner who can't attend when he tries to sell his ticket on the open market and gets labelled a scalper, and the Ticketless-Burner BotNet attacks him.

Can I trademark the name Burner BotNet? "Igor, a scalper spotted on tha intarwebz! Release the Burner BotNet!"

N.B. please do not contact me about vendictive methods or bot nets. This is pure speculation and for entertainment purposes only.
Last edited by lessrules on Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
lessrules

Postby 18xbrewer » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:32 am

Kat FYI if there selling this early it's a scam, they won't pass on the money they will keep it all. They obv don't give a f*ck or they wouldn't be doing it right now anyways.
18xbrewer

Postby u2pilot » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:37 am

It would really, really suck to find out you had bought a counterfeit ticket at the gate, but that is something that can be checked in advance. StubHub guarantees you will get a valid ticket or a refund. Scalping is really bad, but I don't think the risk is quite as great as you say.
u2pilot

Postby lessrules » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:45 am

18xbrewer wrote:Kat FYI if there selling this early it's a scam, they won't pass on the money they will keep it all. They obv don't give a f*ck or they wouldn't be doing it right now anyways.

as much as I like your avatar, the sig line is pretty in-your-face for the poor ticketless folk...
lessrules

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion