Time for the next Evolution?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Time for the next Evolution?

Postby BigRedDale » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:44 pm

There's so much discussion about how well or poorly ticketing has been handled this year after selling out last year. It seems like we're taking the western medicine approach and treating the symptom instead of the cause. Namely that the population of burners has outgrown the location. I know we're all in love with the playa (I've had 9 great burns) but this isn't the first time for the festival. It outgrew the beach and now it has outgrown the playa. Is the BMORG giving any thought to the future growth of our city and the possibility of finding a location that can handle 60,000 or more participants?

Change is scary, I get that, but to me the beauty of this event has always been it's ability to include all comers. I'd say it's time for us to take the next step and grow beyond the playa.

Signed,
Someone without a ticket looking for solutions rather than blame.
BigRedDale

Re: Time for the next Evolution?

Postby Savannah » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:52 pm

Great, thoughtful first post.

Welcome to the board!
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby remi » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:56 pm

My best friend owns over 500acres not too far from Kamloops B.C. off the old merit highway. Hilly grassy area. He said we can hold it there.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby hotmess » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:00 pm

Maybe it is time for a new home town. Although it is tough as the playa is the playa. I still don't understand why they can't get the BLM to give them a permit for more people. I have heard the road in and out is the biggest concern. But someone had mentioned in a previous post having various tickets for staggered entries (ie Monday entry Thursday entry) which would help stagger the traffic. Because as we all know, there are always those weekend warriors who show up Thursday and leave before the temple burn Sunday.
hotmess

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Kamp Krusty

Postby Savannah » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:39 pm

hotmess wrote:Maybe it is time for a new home town. Although it is tough as the playa is the playa. I still don't understand why they can't get the BLM to give them a permit for more people. I have heard the road in and out is the biggest concern. But someone had mentioned in a previous post having various tickets for staggered entries (ie Monday entry Thursday entry) which would help stagger the traffic. Because as we all know, there are always those weekend warriors who show up Thursday and leave before the temple burn Sunday.

It's hard to tell the U.S. Department of the Interior what to do. :)

Bureau of Land Management: Nevada
http://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en.html
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:39 pm

Absolutely on the right track.

Change is thrilling and cool.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Elliot » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:03 pm

I gather the population cap is related primarily to highway capacity. And the most traffic, by far, is on Exodus Day. So... move the Man Burn to Friday and the Temple Burn to Saturday, giving people two days to leave and still be back at the salt mine Tuesday morning. A no-brainer, methinks.

At the same time, obviously, the beginning of the event would be lengthened a day, opening on Sunday. In fact, as the event grows in size, it makes sense to also grow it in length. (I'd stay two weeks!) So a couple more days at the beginning.

No shortage of space on the Playa, and BMORG has surely proven they can handle growth very capably with enough JOTS, first aid, LNT, etc.
:D
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion