How The Lottery Should Work For 2013

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

How The Lottery Should Work For 2013

Postby roymarvelous » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:36 pm

I was lucky to get a ticket for myself (thank you) but it's obvious what the problem with the lottery was: people were allowed to order more tickets than they needed!

So for 2013, please please consider this. Allow people to only buy non-transferable tickets which have their name on them for the lottery. And for the main sale, allow people to buy generic tickets. At least this gives the option to people who aren't sure if they can attend or not.

Yes, this will screw over a few honest people who, due to last minute issues, cannot attend. So what do they do? Allow them to send a application letter after the BM event is over, to request their ticket money back. Maybe a minimum percentage of that ticket money can even be deducted, to be donated to one of the charities.
Therefore there is ZERO motivation for scalpers as they can't make any money.

Honestly, even though I was awarded a ticket, I would be happy if the results were trashed and we started over with the idea above. I hate the idea of so many people having to resort to scalpers. Ticket prices are up to $1,500 on eBay! Sickens me...
roymarvelous

Re: How The Lottery Should Work For 2013

Postby jross » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:09 am

roymarvelous wrote:I was lucky to get a ticket for myself (thank you) but it's obvious what the problem with the lottery was: people were allowed to order more tickets than they needed!

So for 2013, please please consider this. Allow people to only buy non-transferable tickets which have their name on them for the lottery. And for the main sale, allow people to buy generic tickets. At least this gives the option to people who aren't sure if they can attend or not.

Yes, this will screw over a few honest people who, due to last minute issues, cannot attend. So what do they do? Allow them to send a application letter after the BM event is over, to request their ticket money back. Maybe a minimum percentage of that ticket money can even be deducted, to be donated to one of the charities.
Therefore there is ZERO motivation for scalpers as they can't make any money.

Honestly, even though I was awarded a ticket, I would be happy if the results were trashed and we started over with the idea above. I hate the idea of so many people having to resort to scalpers. Ticket prices are up to $1,500 on eBay! Sickens me...

My wife and I shouldn't be allowed to buy tickets together? Has anyone paid $1,500 for a ticket yet?
jross

Postby The CO » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:11 am

jross wrote:My wife and I shouldn't be allowed to buy tickets together? Has anyone paid $1,500 for a ticket yet?

If they did, they are a fucking idiot.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:18 am

There should be a giant roulette wheel at the gate, and your ticket situation depends on your blind luck.

Or put more effort into alternate events, the way that the California Renaissance Faire split into northern faire and southern faire, the events held at different times of the year. This cut down on driving/pollution/resource use by particpants, and allowed some (vendors and performers) to visit both events.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby roymarvelous » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:15 pm

jross wrote:My wife and I shouldn't be allowed to buy tickets together? Has anyone paid $1,500 for a ticket yet?

Assuming your wife has her own unique name, I can't see why both of you wouldn't :) My point was if you want 2 tickets, it needs to have the names of the 2 people going. And they shouldn't be transferable, to avoid the scalper issue altogether. I think that's what they do with Glastonbury and it works.

Surely that's is a simpler process than this convoluted lottery idea.
roymarvelous

Postby lessrules » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:25 pm

roymarvelous wrote:Allow people to only buy non-transferable tickets which have their name on them

What makes you think it is OK to require all of the wild and crazy burner-types to present their government issued ID to get in to Burning Man?

Is it not worth a little more for a little freedom over security?
I would hate to feel like I was at an international airport on entering BM. That would ruin the whole ramp-up of excitement that the arrival experience is for me.

(Of course I will have to present my government issued ID to get to the event.)
lessrules

Postby Max Callahan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:54 pm

lessrules wrote:What makes you think it is OK to require all of the wild and crazy burner-types to present their government issued ID to get in to Burning Man?

Probably the same thing that made it OK to require everyone to use their corporate issued credit cards to buy tickets.
Max Callahan

Postby lessrules » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:39 pm

Max Callahan wrote:
lessrules wrote:What makes you think it is OK to require all of the wild and crazy burner-types to present their government issued ID to get in to Burning Man?

Probably the same thing that made it OK to require everyone to use their corporate issued credit cards to buy tickets.

Heh, we all know a buddy with a credit card, but we all don't know someone with an extra ID with our picture on it. ;)
Of course we would all like to pay in art.
lessrules

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion