So where are all the tickets?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

So where are all the tickets?

Postby playacarl » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:09 pm

I'm genuinely a bit confused here.

About half our camp got tickets, and this seems to be a very common refrain, everyone seems to be saying about half their camp got tickets.

So who has all the other tickets? People who don't do theme camps? Every theme camp seemed to have been able to get tickets last year. Tickets didn't sell out until mid summer.

Are there really that many virgins? I can only presume that people in theme camps have a similar rate of succesfully getting tickets, vs not getting tickets as everyone else so I don't believe it was everyone registering twice, unless that happened almost exclusively with people who don't camp in a theme camp.

So where are all these tickets? Did anyone's camp get enough tickets?
playacarl

Re: So where are all the tickets?

Postby jkisha » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:32 pm

About 10% of our camp got tickets.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Donna Matrix » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:36 pm

Sounds like BM is really going to SUCK big time this year.

BMorg may have just shot themselves in the foot.
Donna Matrix

Postby LegendZero » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:37 pm

Only 2 possibilities Virgins and scalpers.

After reading all the posts here and on reddit and on facebook my bet is on virgins... seriously. While I am sure scalping is an issue the number of tickets on stub hub are less than 1/2 of 1%

Had I won in the lottery I would have two tickets. Both of us going would have been virgins. I am still hoping to get tickets but I think that high influx from that video right before registrations is where all those tickets went. 2012 Maybe the year of the virgin, and it may be the year where people start needing to volunteer more their first year

My $0.02
LegendZero

Postby VultureChow » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:41 pm

LegendZero wrote:Only 2 possibilities Virgins and scalpers.

After reading all the posts here and on reddit and on facebook my bet is on virgins... seriously. While I am sure scalping is an issue the number of tickets on stub hub are less than 1/2 of 1%

Had I won in the lottery I would have two tickets. Both of us going would have been virgins. I am still hoping to get tickets but I think that high influx from that video right before registrations is where all those tickets went. 2012 Maybe the year of the virgin, and it may be the year where people start needing to volunteer more their first year

My $0.02

But how could there be that many virgins. If what we're looking at is at best twice as many requests as tickets allocated, you're talking about 40,000 virgins. And 40,000 virgins with the preparation and money to buy in January. That seems highly unlikely to me.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby BBadger » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:41 pm

Suck why? Because only certain individuals you know have tickets at this point in time in early February? We have two more months before the open sale even begins for 1/5th of all the tickets, and another three months after that before tickets are even sent out. In the mean time, those scattered tickets can and will find their way into the hands of those who need them through the STEP program.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby playacarl » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:46 pm

I can't imagine STEP being much of a solution. Do you know anyone with an extra ticket to sell in it? I don't.

That's what's so confusing to me. How can there have been that many people that didn't get tickets that have gone in the past? The population usually creeps up a bit, this would almost be exponential growth.
playacarl

Postby danibel » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:48 pm

LegendZero wrote:Only 2 possibilities Virgins and scalpers.

My $0.02

Or it could the year of record last minute ticket sales. I have only been 3 times, but my first year I bought my ticket on the first day they were available and my sister (also a virgin) bought hers about a week before we left! A week! At face value from a very kewl dude, who by pure chance and fate walked into my camp last year to visit with one of my other campmates. Small world eh? I digress. As the summer goes on, I have a feeling, just a feeling, that lots of people are going to realize there are no RV's left to rent, the plane tickets are too much, the campmate with the shade structure decided to go to burma, it will be too hot, it will be too cold, and whatever else happens in life, happens, and they sell their ticket (at face value because of a flood of availability).

It ain't over till the man burns. And burn he will.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby pink » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:55 pm

playacarl wrote:I'm genuinely a bit confused here.

About half our camp got tickets, and this seems to be a very common refrain, everyone seems to be saying about half their camp got tickets.

So who has all the other tickets? People who don't do theme camps? Every theme camp seemed to have been able to get tickets last year. Tickets didn't sell out until mid summer.

Are there really that many virgins? I can only presume that people in theme camps have a similar rate of succesfully getting tickets, vs not getting tickets as everyone else so I don't believe it was everyone registering twice, unless that happened almost exclusively with people who don't camp in a theme camp.

So where are all these tickets? Did anyone's camp get enough tickets?

Well, it wouldn't just be virgins but other strays that aren't part of a camp. Hell, I was one of these until last year. I camped with Cafe Village most of those years, but was just one of many cafe volunteers, not part of the camp infrastructure or anything.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby igor47 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:00 pm

BBadger wrote:We have two more months before the open sale even begins for 1/5th of all the tickets, and another three months after that before tickets are even sent out. In the mean time, those scattered tickets can and will find their way into the hands of those who need them through the STEP program.

people who work on big playa art start work many many months in advance. it's pretty odd to devote yourself to a big project when you don't even have a ticket to the event...
igor47

Postby playacarl » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:01 pm

But that still doesn't really make any sense.

So they had 50k tickets last year and all these people successfully went, but they are down to half that this year, a lot of camps seem to be at way less than half. So there are at least twice as many people trying to go? I don't believe that at all.
playacarl

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:03 pm

igor47 wrote:
BBadger wrote:We have two more months before the open sale even begins for 1/5th of all the tickets, and another three months after that before tickets are even sent out. In the mean time, those scattered tickets can and will find their way into the hands of those who need them through the STEP program.

people who work on big playa art start work many many months in advance. it's pretty odd to devote yourself to a big project when you don't even have a ticket to the event...

maybe, maybe not... And burners are nothing if not "odd". I suspect that there will be some scrambling and some redrawing of projects. It could end up being very creative--thrown into a situation where you have to improvise might be more fertile than same old, same old.

I don't have a ticket, but I'm still going to see what I can do for Apokalyptika and the rest of Terminal City.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby TertiusOculum » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:21 pm

I think it may have been an issue with too many people trying to pay the lower tier and so all the 390 tickets will be rolled into the Open Sale. I think everyone should just chill out until the Open Sale is over. Just my opinion.
TertiusOculum

Postby playacarl » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:25 pm

Nah, they said all 40k tickets were sold.

I'm starting to wonder if someone shouldn't be kicking the tires on the old ticket database to make sure it actually released everything. Otherwise we apparently had twice as many people trying to go this year? Doesn't that seem unlikely to anyone else?
playacarl

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:29 pm

I'm not sure what the numbers show. And I don't know where we're getting these numbers anyway. I do think that waiting a few days for the dust to settle might be a good idea. I know, you're upset and over-energized right now. It's really hard to let go of the obsessive rehashing of ticket drawing results. But, you're just spinning your wheels, getting buried in the mud of loss and anger. It's probably not doing you much good.
Breath. We'll know more in time.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Mosquitopilate » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:32 pm

Listen I will do what ever I am told to do on this site and if STEP is the anwser then so be it, I hope it works cause the open sale scares the crap out of me So may I be the first to say STEP help me...I already Know it will work for sure :D
Twitter - @BurnPlayaMan E-Mail - Mosquitopilate@yahoo.com Image
Thanks to all that made BM 2012 great. You people are the best on planet earth )'( )'( )'(
Mosquitopilate

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Max Callahan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:43 pm

So, here are some numbers I pulled out of my ass.
40,000 tickets were just sold, It looks like less than half of the people got tickets who wanted them, let's say 40%. That would mean that 100,000 orders were placed.
Lets assume, that just about everyone wanted to up their chances to go, and ordered 2 tickets, and got another friend who wanted to go to also order 2 tickets with plans to swap (this works real well with couples).
This gives us a 2X over order, or 50,000 real people interested in tickets. In this case after tickets get swapped STEPped on and the second sale, this whole clusterfuck works out kinda ok.

If we assume 30% fulfillment then it's 133,333 orders 66,667 real people, and 16k+ people are unhappy.
In either case we aren't looking at huge increases in interest over previous years, just (completely predictable) bad behavior due to scarcity.
Last edited by Max Callahan on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max Callahan

Postby Killbuck » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:52 pm

That actually makes some kind of weird sense!!!

Stop it right now!!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://sideshow2014.weebly.com Bringing Sideshow back to the playa, and part of the Embrace Crew, 2014.
Killbuck

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby pink » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:56 pm

Yeah, those tickets have got to be floating out there somewhere....

And I was doing the same sort of math. Please, Kernul do a 'Mystery of the Disappering Tickets' poster!
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby Killbuck » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:58 pm

OOOH! Good idea.
http://sideshow2014.weebly.com Bringing Sideshow back to the playa, and part of the Embrace Crew, 2014.
Killbuck

Postby Killbuck » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:48 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Killbuck

Postby psyduckdaisy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:34 pm

http://www.stubhub.com/burning-man-8-27 ... en2Event=1 Oh, look. Here's some that showed up today..
psyduckdaisy

Postby Max Callahan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:39 pm

Stubhub has 88 tickets out of 43,000 sold. Good catch.
Max Callahan

Postby monsta2ownzu » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:45 pm

I'm wondering the same thing. My camp went 0 in 7 ... We are all dissapoonted but know we will get tickets somehow. We are all going to try step, hopefully it works. Judging by how many people must have gamed the system.. i have my doubts.
When all else fails ... plan for burning man.
monsta2ownzu

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: The Neighbourhood

Postby sinhache » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:18 am

playacarl wrote:But that still doesn't really make any sense.

So they had 50k tickets last year and all these people successfully went, but they are down to half that this year, a lot of camps seem to be at way less than half. So there are at least twice as many people trying to go? I don't believe that at all.

I am totally with you. Something is fishy here. Our camp of 30 only got 3 tickets, and after seeing similar things posted all day I am beginning to doubt the validity of the draw. Numbers like this are near impossible. I got two rejection letters, so did most people I've heard from. What if the tickets awarded were accidentally deducted from the system twice?

I am clinging to the thought that there was some massive fuck up with the system and that next week we will all get a "Whoopsie daisy!" letter and 20,000 tickets will magically be released. Delusional, yes. But it keeps me sane and hopeful.
sinhache

Postby samroberts » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:26 am

Not even 10 people from our 100 person camp got tickets... 10%

5 of those 10 are virgins.

All our materials to build the camp are in storage....

What a disaster!
samroberts

Postby danibel » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:27 am

sinhache wrote:I am clinging to the thought that there was some massive fuck up with the system and that next week we will all get a "Whoopsie daisy!" letter and 20,000 tickets will magically be released. Delusional, yes. But it keeps me sane and hopeful.

Heh. I got two emails as well. I thought that was strange and I hoped they hadn't disqualified me as a dup entry.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby davink » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:27 am

I bet the borg is smiling ear to ear today.. what other event can generate $13,000,000 in sales in 24 hours?
davink

Postby ZaphodBurner » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:52 am

igor47 wrote:

EXACTLY!

None--ZERO--of the people in our camp got tickets. All of them enrolled as soon as they could. Now instead of a "Yay, we're going to Burning Man...what are we going to build this year!" it's "How the fuck are we all going to get tickets, and how much money do you want to invest in building shit if you don't even know how bad you're going to get raped for them?"

Also, I don't know about the others in our camp but we got duplicate rejection notices too even though we only ordered once.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby tattoogoddess » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:05 am

danibel wrote: the campmate with the shade structure decided to go to burma,

It's called Myanmar. Just thought you should know :D My apartment building is about 90% refugees from there. PS there food stinks to high heaven.

maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Next

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion