Official "GOING TO GET TICKETS" Thread.

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Official "GOING TO GET TICKETS" Thread.

Postby Mosquitopilate » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:59 pm

Just Remember I need a Ticket :D
Twitter - @BurnPlayaMan E-Mail - Mosquitopilate@yahoo.com Image
Thanks to all that made BM 2012 great. You people are the best on planet earth )'( )'( )'(
Mosquitopilate

Burning Since: 2001

Postby SquirrelHead » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:46 pm

I too failed to obtain a ticket in the lotto phase. That won't stop me from planning and getting ready for my first burn. I will keep looking for tickets in every Wonka bar I come across. I am planing on going to a regional burn near me in July so all of my preparations are still going to get the trial run. I will keep on moving forward like I have a ticket and be prepared so that when I get that ticket, everything will be on track. :D
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

It's like a flamingo circle jerk up in here. - BoyScoutGirl
SquirrelHead

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby hotmess » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:28 pm

AntiM wrote:I saw a few Utah burners last year who could not find last minute tickets. On the other hand, even after the sellout, I managed to facilitate tickets into the hands of four burners through generosity and gifting which I was able to be the middleman for. Both perspectives are valid at this point.

Although it is true, demand outstrips supply. I predict a good number of last minute can't goes in addition to those who must throw in the towel. And I am going to keep on alert to find tickets for eplayans I know are ticketless at this point in time.

Positive thing: volunteers this year will work their butts off for next year's tickets.

Oh, and that lovely weather we had last year? The wonderful hard packed surface? Not this year, it will be epic dust, the playa didn't get enough water over winter, not enough for the hard freeze. That will make 2013 be less in demand. Huzzah!

SO TRUE. I was not planning on going last year until last minute when the roof collapsed at my office. If ever there was a sign I was not meat to be at work and out on the playa that was it. I will keep my eyes peeled and be sure to make it known I NEED 2 TICKETS. And with a little luck the weather this year will kick everyones ass. I love a good dust storm and am not scared to hunker down.
hotmess

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Kamp Krusty

Postby A Jester » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:36 pm

AntiM wrote:Positive thing: volunteers this year will work their butts off for next year's tickets.

That's a good point! this will be one well run event!
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby Finxiekins » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:03 pm

This is the type of board I've been hoping to see. I've been trying to let people know that the eplayans seem to do a damn good job of looking out for one another. :D Just keep your chin up and people will notice it, you'll stick out. If your optimistic and positive, people will help you. If you're constantly complaining, nobody will want to help. There's STEP, the main sale, other burners who will watch for tickets for you...It will all fall into place.
Finxiekins

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:31 pm

vacuumbed wrote:I also HAVE to go. What is the risk in buying from stub hub?

Paying more than face value for a forgery.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Saguache » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:18 pm

So I've spent the last 48 hours yelling "fuck, fuck, fuckity, fuck, fuck" internally and I think that I've probably calmed down enough to try and find some positivity in this situation. I will continue to pursue a ticket via STEP and the final open sale. Ticket acquisition will occur IFF I can find a willing seller who isn't asking for an arm or a leg with that and IFF I can still see a way to enjoy my time on the playa and feel like I've contributed something while there.

Otherwise I reserve the right to throw in the towel and spend the week running somewhere.
-- Inspire or empower your neighbor, the rest is a waste of precious time
Saguache

Postby wendiwoman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:03 pm

Here's a radical thought... I now believe that anyone who wants a BM ticket will be able to get one, and not even have to pay inflated prices. Here's my thinking...

Putting aside the current angst, two facts remain... there are a finite number of tickets (56,500) and a finite demand. I looked at the historical attendance over the past 11 years, and being a geek, I graphed it. While the data has some scatter and a couple of anomalous years, the growth has been fairly linear. Thus, I conclude that if tickets for 2012 were unlimited, the attendance would be close to, but would not exceed, 60,000 people. Clearly, the number of tickets requested in the lottery was far in excess of 100,000, but that doesn't represent the number of people who actually want to attend. It includes people who multiple ordered, in order to increase their chances, and it includes scalpers who have no interest in attending at all.

So... we have 60,000 people chasing 56,500 tickets. That is a problem. But how many people have recently opted out for this year? I personally know two who just did. From reading the many forums and groups, I'm sure there are many more. Are there 3500? Could be. Also, ticket prices rose 15% this year, which should cause some people to opt out under any conditions.

If my assumptions are accurate, and 6% of Burners who otherwise would have gone decide to stay home this year due to the current ticket mess, then there will actually be a surplus of tickets.

We'll have a better idea in late summer. If there really are many more than 56,500 people who want attend, then ticket prices will likely exceed $1000. But if the number is less than 56,500, tickets could be going at discount. It will be interesting to watch.
wendiwoman

Postby XnightmarekittenX » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:16 am

Where there is a will there is a way! I for one will not give up I will being trying to get tickets right up until the day of if I have to! I hope the STEP program works as well as we are all hoping, the only way to defeat scalpers is to not give in to their game! Of no one falls for their outrageous prices then they will have no option but to lower them. Let's all make an effort to support the new resale system!
XnightmarekittenX

Postby phoenix808 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:05 pm

we will get tickets! last year was my first year! i had a scholarship and i have big plans this year! nothing will stop me!!!
phoenix808

Postby Litup » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:54 pm

I'm still cheering for all of you!! I want your happy faces on the Playa, and I know I'll see you there! :D
Litup

Burning Since: 2012

Postby lucky420 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:27 pm

If there really are many more than 56,500 people who want attend, then ticket prices will likely exceed $1000

only if people buy and support the blood sucking scalpers...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby wraith » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:58 pm

Just gonna bookmark this thread for a month down the road when the STEP kool-aid's got cyanide in, rather than being the shining holy fix-all. ;)

lucky420 wrote:
If there really are many more than 56,500 people who want attend, then ticket prices will likely exceed $1000

only if people buy and support the blood sucking scalpers...

Just read up. People want to go badly enough that once it gets down to the wire, they'll justify paying whatever price to get their fix. Scalpers make bank on that impulse.
wraith

Burning Since: 2010

Postby mama g » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:08 pm

i think my hubby and i are all done pouting, biting our nails, and generally fixating on the problem. it's solution time! somehow we will make it happen.
mama g

Postby Savannah » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:09 pm

mama g wrote:i think my hubby and i are all done pouting, biting our nails, and generally fixating on the problem. it's solution time! somehow we will make it happen.

Great first post. :) Welcome to the board.
*** 2015 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby socks » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:52 pm

Please stop with this false hope on step or the general sale.The logic behind the step program is that only burners hold the extra tickets. i just do not thinks so.As for the sale the scalper bots are lined up now.The 10,000 tickets will be gone in 1 hour or less.Saying this brings me no joy as i too did not get a ticket.

So my question is I already have invested thousands of dollars for this years burn but have no ticket.1 Do i buy a ticket from a scalper and go or 2 Hope to get a ticket at face value and end up not going.All I want to do is go home
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence
socks

Previous

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion