Prediction: text of the upcoming YOU LOST THE LOTTERY email

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Prediction: text of the upcoming YOU LOST THE LOTTERY email

Postby drutter » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:00 pm

The lottery is over, and anyone who "won" has been emailed. Those of us who lost haven't yet been emailed. Here's my prediction of what it will say:

1 ) We're so sorry, so very very sorry. This was a learning experience for us and it will be much better next year. Work with us!
2 ) We believe that everybody who wants a ticket will be able to get one. This is just a minor setback for you.
3 ) You can still apply for one of a very few low-income passes in a few months, if you're poor, have time to spare, and can write a good essay.
4 ) We've come up with a STEP program, coming out in March, which will be a great and safe way to sell tickets at face value. It'll be just as well done as the lottery was, don't worry!
5 ) You can always wait 2 months for the secondary sale, when a small number of tickets will go up for grabs on a first-come-first-served basis. They'll cost $390, plus convenience fee, plus ticketing fee, plus printing fee, plus shipping - merely $500 or so. Mark your calendars!
6 ) Don't you dare get your tickets from anywhere except us. Then you're part of the problem.
7 ) This was your fault. You all tried too hard to get tickets by any means possible, and that's why it didn't work properly.
8 ) See you on the playa!!! Dusty hugs!!

Not in those words obviously, but I believe all of those points will be covered in the email. Let's see how close I am. :)

This would be my 5th Burn and each trip Home has been better than the last! (Although my virgin year will always be super magical, of course!) :D

1st time, I wandered onto the website and got tickets at about $180 several days after they went on sale. No hitches.
2nd time, I bought about a day into the ticket sale, and willingly paid over $200 because I could afford second tier, even though first tier still hadn't sold out. I wanted to help poorer Burners, in case I was ever a poor Burner. Felt great.
3rd time, I paid $280. I forget exactly the circumstances, but I think first tier sold out within hours, and I had been unable to get in line earlier.
4th time, which was last year, I was a indeed a poor Burner. I sat in line and refreshed a billion times because the server was messed up, but got first tier tickets at $210.
5th time, this year, I had to agree to buy something I didn't even know the pricetag on, keep my credit card bill paid down for a long period of time, spend countless hours dealing with bugs, waited through a ridiculous lottery system, and got nothing.

BMORG, please listen to the people who make up this event, rather than your own stubborn beliefs about this situation. It didn't work - get it? You failed. I know you'll never admit that publicly, but please, let it sink in to your heads and your hearts. Look at the results of your latest ill-planned experiment, rather than what you believe should have or could have happened. This colossal failure was predicted by thousands of us, because it was impossible not to see it coming. How you didn't is beyond me. All we've had from you for the past couple years are empty promises and little to no results. Yes, many have tickets. Sadly, many more don't. Your track record has gone from "below satisfactory" to "poor" and is headed for "abysmal". You've spent most (or all) of the stored up capital you had in the form of good will and trust within the community. We can only go so far on apologies and assurances that it will get better. For some, that line has yet to be crossed. All I'm saying here is that you've already stepped over it, in my opinion.

Please don't continue in the direction you've been heading, because it's not a good one for a huge portion of this community.

To other Burners: Agree, disagree, discuss, and debate. But please don't tell me I don't have the right to feel this way, or to make my thoughts known. Thanks 8)
Heavy on preparations, light on expectations.
drutter

Re: Prediction: text of the upcoming YOU LOST THE LOTTERY em

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:01 pm

There are people on FB saying they already got their denial notices.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby litlaur » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:09 pm

I'm guessing there will be no apology because they consider the lottery to be a success.
litlaur

Burning Since: 2009

Postby drutter » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:10 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:There are people on FB saying they already got their denial notices.

Sweet, still nothing here.
So... how close is my prediction?

litlaur wrote:I'm guessing there will be no apology because they consider the lottery to be a success.

They raked in record profits... of course it was a success! :wink:
drutter

Postby Just_Joe » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:13 pm

Got it.
The important part:
We're really sorry to inform you that your entry was not selected in the Main Sale to purchase Burning Man 2012 tickets. But remember this isn't the end - you still have other options for acquiring tickets!
Just_Joe

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: ABC (Alphabet Block Camp)

Postby Nipple » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:21 pm

Could someone post the entire text of the email and the subject?
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby drutter » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:59 pm

Nipple wrote:Could someone post the entire text of the email and the subject?

Agreed! Anyone? :|
drutter

Postby randomgirl7 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:00 pm

randomgirl7

Postby drutter » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:20 pm

randomgirl7 wrote:Just did

Thanks, as I'm still waiting for my rejection letter. Here it is, as per your post in that thread:

randomgirl7 wrote:Title: Burning Man Ticket Main Sale Notification

We're really sorry to inform you that your entry was not selected in the Main Sale to purchase Burning Man 2012 tickets. But remember this isn't the end - you still have other options for acquiring tickets!

The next chance to buy is directly through the Open Sale, which begins March 28, 2012. There are 10,000 tickets that will be offered in that sale at $390 each. The Open Sale is a first-come, first-served, no-registration-required sale.

We will also open our new resale system, the Secure Ticket Exchange Program (STEP), for the buying and selling of secondhand tickets starting February 22. We expect that a fair number of tickets will be redistributed within the participant community (as happens every year), and we ask that you use the STEP system to do so, avoiding sites like eBay, Craigslist, or ticket resale sites, so we can maintain a central source for tickets and discourage scalping. Full details will be posted on tickets.burningman.com and through the Jack Rabbit Speaks email newsletter.

Please help us discourage scalpers. Don't buy or sell Burning Man tickets above face value.

Since you were among those unable to secure tickets through this Main Sale drawing, you will get priority in signing up for the STEP system's first-come, first-served process. Please watch for an email before the end of February with details about how you can participate in this program.

They didn't mention low income passes, and they added something about being able to register first for STEP, but otherwise nailed it. :o

Ahhh well. Time to move on and deal with it. I love Burning Man and participating in the community too much to let this stop me. I won't uncross my fingers yet.
drutter

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion