Lets start talking about how to fix this

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Lets start talking about how to fix this

Postby gibson_ » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:58 pm

I like you, Patamon.

It's getting frustrating reading some of these things. Guys. This is a _solved problem_. Burning Man isn't the first large-scale event in the world.

BOO HOO THE LINE!

Do you guys complain about what happens to the virgins at the greeter's station because it slows down the line? Reading an ID and then reading a ticket takes an extra minute at the most.

Exactly what Patamon just said should happen next year.

In fact; nullify all the this years tickets, throw up a big "oh noes we fucked up", and have another ticket sale in March.
gibson_

Postby forge » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:16 pm

Patamon wrote:The whole ticket madness could have been easily solved by doing this instead...

#1: Same price, no tiers. Make the tickets all the same price. If your money is so tight that you cant go because you need to save $80 on a ticket, then you probably shouldn't be going in the first place. (get a job)

#2: Make it a REGISTERED event, not a TICKETED event. i.e. use the same method that they use at Conventions etc. You pay $350 (or whatever) and you are now Registered for Burning Man. You'll get your Registration thingy with barcode and name (like EE passes) in the mail, and that pass is good for YOU and YOU only. Cannot be sold or traded.

#3: First come, first serve. Since you can now only register FOR YOURSELF, there will be far less of an inital speculative demand. and dickheads like ebay and stubhub will no longer be able to scam people.

#4: Once the REGISTRATIONS are maxed out (60K, whatever) registration is closed.

#5: If you have to cancel, you have until July 31st to cancel and get a refund.

#6: From August 1st, to August 20th, 2nd round Registration is open (again fist come first serve) based upon the number of cancelations. so if 4,000 people canceled, that opens up 4,000 new slots.

#7: On August 20th, no more registrations.

#8: Bring your ID and Form to the playa, and you're good to go. If your a hippy who cant deal with having an ID, see #1 above.

Badda bing. problem solved. I just saved Burning Man. 2013 theme will be in honor of me, with the man on a Giant Copy of my Face.

I agree with you on this solution. This eliminates scalpers, shortens the line of people wanting to register on day one sale, allows people to cancel, and takes care of the tier system.

Eliminate the speculators and the scalpers. You need to have sales far in advance for camps to organize and build and for the org to raise money to invest. You can not hang onto fringe cases like what if the person cancels at the last minute and wants to give their ticket away. Deal with that on a case by case basis because it is such a small number. You can not hang onto past traditions like what if i want to gift my ticket. The festival moves on and adapts and changes and so does this tradition. There is nothing stopping you from gifting a ticket by simply giving the money to buy the ticket.

I would also add that BM needs a better social media manager because 2 days of uninterrupted complaining without any word is not the best PR. I believe Burning Man starts the moment you purchase entrance.
forge

Postby trilobyte » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:23 pm

@gibson_ - you may not be happy with the results, but the system has worked so far. The real heart of the problem is not enough supply to meet demand. Only permitting ticket transfers in person at the gate has a number of flaws, not the least of which is what happens if someone can't go to the event - which is a major reason that people end up selling a ticket. And to your more recent comment, no I'm not towing any kind of company line. There are some aspects I don't care for or wish worked a bit differently, but as an individual person with my own opinion (and many years of experience with event production and logistics), I agree with the choices that were made.

@Ugly Dougly - very true. Burning Man is awesome, but it's not the only potential awesome thing. It's probably not even the only thing in the desert.

@remi - hooray for strength of conviction, but that's just wrong on many levels. Perhaps next year you'll have the opportunity to volunteer at the gate for the event and help lend them your expertise and show them the way.

@inog - well said, I'll drink to that :)

@forge - a lot. The shining example of awesomeness that people like to use is the Glastonbury festival. That event has 7 fully staffed gates and the roadway infrastructure to support it, and they struggle with lines at the gate too. It also did not solve the problem of scarcity - their event has been selling completely out for years.

@brnr96 - so, death by 100 cuts? Demand still outstrips supply. And assuming your method sells each day's allotment via unrestricted open sale, it's 100 days of opportunity for scalpers to get their unfair share.

@Mr. Possibility - attendance in 2010 was 51,525. There are plans to increase the population cap over time, as part of the 5 year BLM permit renewal negotiation (which is underway). Based on articles written last fall, I understand that the requested goal was to reach something like 70K (growing steadily each year).

@alt12 - I think the only factor nobody could have foreseen was the impact of a wonderfully made video going viral at the moment that it did (but for what it's worth, there was a remarkable number of great videos from this year's event, due in part to such great weather). The system was designed such that it could accommodate that demand, though unfortunately that resulted in lower odds of success for everyone.

@Sugahoneyicetea - the drawing went extremely well, from a technical and performance standpoint. I think the common consensus is that people wish there had been fewer people participating in the sale or that there were more tickets to go around.

@Saigonborg - based on the results, it appears that the event would have sold completely out on the first day. And like many other unrestricted open sale events that are known to sell out, a significant portion of the ticket supply would have wound up in the hands of scalpers (scalperbots weren't a risk last year because the event wasn't known to be a sell out event until July).

@BBadger - ha… and worth pointing out that aside from re-distribution/after-market sales, nearly 20% of the event tickets have not yet gone on sale.

@Mojojita - good point. Not only what to do with that individual, but it's the whole vehicle that gets turned around.

@motskyroonmatick - they're working with the BLM to get the cap increased over time.

@RedHeaven - I agree. As the event grows and changes, some people may very well grow in a different direction. The whole petri dish thing and theme are really resonating with me as I try to catch up on the boards, it really is something of a weird, crazy experiment.

@cooked 2242 - so far there has not been any evidence of massive scalper acquisition of tickets. Sure, there have been some, but nowhere near what you'd get on a 40K unrestricted open sale (I've heard claims of scalpers getting up to a quarter or even a third of all tickets to hot concerts and sporting events). While it's possible that they could be waiting for the furor/demand to die down they typically like to strike while the iron's hot. It's also possible that they haven't started listing yet because they feel selling a ticket they don't have in their hand is wrong, but I don't see morality being a big factor either. I don't think moderators have been treating people that way and I'm sorry that's your taken on things in the short time you've been here (welcome to the site, btw).

@Zoo - the primary reason (as I understand it) for the cap is the potential impact, on both the environment and the infrastructure (ie. roads). We've got a great track record of being aces in the LNT department and working with the local/regional communities that surround the Black Rock desert, but the road capacity is the stumbling block.

@Stickygreen - see the comment above to @Zoo and then I'll add that my understanding is that it it unfortunately isn't a matter of widening the road to Gerlach, it's widening a significant chunk of the 100 or so miles of the 447 that separate the main highway from the event.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby copilot602 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:06 pm

@trilobyte, either you are not paying attention or your glasses are tinted a whole lot rosier than most!

From BMORGs perspective things have worked great, they sold all their tickets. But for long time Burners and planners who have not received enough tickets to power their camps, this is a disaster.

Forget scalpers, you've ignored the fact that people hoarded tickets because of the fear a lottery created. By my understanding of how STEP works, there is no incentive to sell an extra ticket now vs 3 weeks before the event. It also allows scalpers to dump any tickets they couldnt get rid of risk free at the last moment! You mean I can buy today, gouge till the last minute and then you've created a way for me to dump the tickets for what I paid 3 days before the event? Sign me up, sounds like I can't lose!

Even BMORG has said basically "yea, there will be shortages, but you guys will work it out"...thanks for the help.

From http://blog.burningman.com/tag/step/ "So the unfortunate net result is that there will be a lot of people who aren’t awarded tickets from the Main Sale … BUT DO NOT FEAR!! Because this means that there will be a large number of tickets in circulation within the existing community, tickets that simply need to be redistributed to those who need them. Based on our analysis, we hold a strong belief that things will settle out over the course of time, once that redistribution takes place, such that most everybody who wants a ticket will find their way to one."

So basically we all lose as camps shutter because they can't organize in time or get their participants tickets. Oh and wait for the chaos around the full price tickets - those 10,000 will be snapped up by the people who didn't win the lottery and even more scalpers, even though there may be another 15,000 extra sitting out there in somebodys sock drawer that no one has access to till the last moment.

you may not be happy with the results, but the system has worked so far.

exactly who has this worked out for?

The only reason I can find why BMORG started a lottery was to thwart scaplers as BM was now going to supposedly sell out every year. Making the tickets non-transferable does this better and without all the drama.
copilot602

Postby danprater » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:49 pm

Hey everyone...

The issue is not how many... but WHO gets to go. How do we choose???

One non-refundable ticket is a great idea but it only works if 1 person wants that ticket, not 1.3 people. Right now I think that number is greater than one already.

So for every 100 tickets how do we decide the 20 people excluded?

I posted a possible answer here:
http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=290&t=53791#p792233

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ZOMBIE DAY!!!! ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
danprater

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:11 pm

trilobyte wrote:@motskyroonmatick - they're working with the BLM to get the cap increased over time.

I am aware that the population cap has been raised regularly as the Org demonstrates that they can supply necessary infrastructure to the participants. The thing it seems we are running up against now is the BLM and their concern for adequate emergency response capability for the safety of the local populations on 447 and that of burners traveling on 447. It is a very valid and important issue which is related directly to the traffic carrying capacity of 447. My proposal to increase attendance dramatically would act to reduce demand and calm the market for tickets. My proposal to start the burn one day earlier and burn the man on Friday night is to allow 3 days for major exodus to occur so that peak traffic times have less volume.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby brnr96 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:49 am

Here is a re-post, of the system I proposed last fall:

Say we have 50,000 tickets to sell. We designate a sales period that lasts 100 days, ending one month before the event...simple division tells us that this means a maximum of 500 tickets can be sold, each day of the sales period. Tiered pricing can be implemented, such that a certain percentage of each day's allocated sales takes place at each price point.

This way, everybody who wants to purchase a ticket will have a chance of buying one from the organization, at each price point, all the way through the sales period. If you don't get your ticket the first day, it's no big deal...you literally have 99 more chances to get the ticket you want, at the price you want to pay for it...persistence is rewarded.

This system would be flexible...if any one day's allocation fails to sell out, the tickets remain in the pool, to be sold the next day. It could even be set up, as a series of mini-lotteries, if demand is extremely high, and randomness is what the org decides is important.

Furthermore, I also propose a system, wherein a certain number of tickets for the next year's event are pre-sold, at a fixed premium price (say, maybe, X tix @ Y$, each).

All the specific figures in this example, are for demonstration purposes, only. The org could manage the actual numbers, in whatever way they see fit.
brnr96

Postby brnr96 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:01 am

trilobyte wrote:
@brnr96 - so, death by 100 cuts? Demand still outstrips supply. And assuming your method sells each day's allotment via unrestricted open sale, it's 100 days of opportunity for scalpers to get their unfair share.

@Saigonborg - based on the results, it appears that the event would have sold completely out on the first day. And like many other unrestricted open sale events that are known to sell out, a significant portion of the ticket supply would have wound up in the hands of scalpers (scalperbots weren't a risk last year because the event wasn't known to be a sell out event until July).

@cooked 2242 - so far there has not been any evidence of massive scalper acquisition of tickets. Sure, there have been some, but nowhere near what you'd get on a 40K unrestricted open sale (I've heard claims of scalpers getting up to a quarter or even a third of all tickets to hot concerts and sporting events). While it's possible that they could be waiting for the furor/demand to die down they typically like to strike while the iron's hot. It's also possible that they haven't started listing yet because they feel selling a ticket they don't have in their hand is wrong, but I don't see morality being a big factor either. I don't think moderators have been treating people that way and I'm sorry that's your taken on things in the short time you've been here (welcome to the site, btw).

Get your story straight, trilobyte: Is scalping a problem, or is scalping not a problem?

At least with my system, the scalpers would have to work for it...
brnr96

Postby copilot602 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:23 am

Until all tickets are non-transferable, scalpers will always game any system, period.

So here's a weird thought (puts on my tinfoil hat) I've heard in more than a few places that the BORG believes BM to be unsustainable in the long term, an idea I actually agree with. Is it possible that they are not as incompetant as they seem but are actually trying to slowly ruin the event, "death by 99 cuts" to use trilobytes words, so that we will reinvest our energies in regionals, which is also where I have heard they see the future of BM? I know my local group, as well as others are all fired up (as am I) about our regional since we are so disgusted with the constant mishandling of the Main Event. I guess I am trying to give them an out for not listening to common sense and making such poor decisions.
copilot602

Postby brnr96 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:06 am

I support the idea of making the low-income tickets non-transferable, but not for ALL tickets.

Every year, people buy tickets, and then find out they can't make the trip for whatever reason, and every year, people who want tickets miss out on buying them through the regular channel. It is only reasonable, to allow this supply & demand to meet, and there are numerous ways that this can be accomplished...the STEP program is a nice idea, but some people are more comfortable with Ebay, craigslist, or simply asking around.

Scalping is pretty much an intractable problem, but steps can be taken to prevent it from getting out of hand. Waiting until late-July, early August to mail tickets would be one way of limiting the scalper's hand, by making them wait six months before they can see a return on their capital, and limiting the period during which they can potentially cash-in.
brnr96

Postby mshaman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:20 am

BBadger wrote:AW LAWRDY! We're only done with 1/3rd of the ticket sale system, the lottery component, and now we're already making plans to flip-turn upside-down the whole system after we haven't even evaluated the entire plan? Were you also the types who expected Obama to fix the economy single-handed in a year?

Let's have a little patience people. Think a little longer-term. So not everyone in your group got their ticket. Was it going to be different in any other system where demand is greater than supply? It wasn't scalpers that caused that.

BBadger, your statements make me think you're coming from an individual contributor's mindset, rather than one who is part of a large-scale collective.

For those of us who start working in September on big projects for the following year's burn, to "think a little longer term" is to realize that while an individual who isn't a part of any collective can afford to be patient, theme camps and art collectives cannot. They need to know NOW who is going and who isn't so they can plan and build. They needed to know ALREADY. If you value large scale art, vehicles, and camps, patience is not the operative term here, URGENCY is the operative term.
The road of life is littered with flat squirrels who couldn't decide.
mshaman

Postby dangerous » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:24 am

Stickygreen wrote:the only issue is that demand is greater than supply.

there are only 2 possible answers.
answer = Increase supply
answer = decrease demand

This is what will happen eventually, some say it already has, but whatever... I'm not going to debate if Burning Man was better last year, cause we all know it was!

i was talking with an old friend last night about Burning Man and his response was "oh ya, one of my employees is going for the first times too. she is so excited about getting naked and all the free booze. why on earth are you going?"

maybe demand would decrease if people didn't believe it was just a week of drunken debauchery

The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.

Chardin
dangerous

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Retrofrolic

Postby The CO » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:29 am

bleurose51 wrote:3. 50,000 tickets plus a "negligible" number of volunteer/staff/artist tickets? What are YOU smoking? :-) I want some! There are most likely upwards of 5,000-7,000 free tickets distributed by BM for "volunteers/staff/artists". All of the regionals get tickets for their organizers, all the major art projects get fairly large numbers of tickets, anyone who volunteers 20+ hours last year (and that had to be several thousand people, between the Gate and DMV and DPW and Rangers and Lamplighters and everyone else) gets a discount ticket that hasn't even been accounted for, plus if you volunteered more, you get a free ticket. BM's paid staff is also big. There were many thousands of people at the event early last year and many of them were on free tickets or volunteer discount tickets, all of which are outside the "main ticket sale". This is not negligible.

Bollocks. I got a staff/artist ticket last year (and several before that), and I will happily call you out on this. The numbers and qualifications for a discount/gift ticket you are throwing around are not accurate.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Postby mdmf007 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:33 am

Scalping is an issue - but not as big an issue as it is for other events. IMO the scalpers that are scalping BMAN tickets are amateurs. It is way easier to scalp NFL tickets, Celine Dion, Garth Brooks etc and flip your money in days, not the months you may need to sit on it for BMAN.

For what its worth I like the idea of Will call only and buying next years ticket at this years event.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Saigonborg » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:52 am

My main point is we don't know how much last years sell out influenced people's actions vs how the lotto fear influenced their actions. At this point it is all assumptions and you know what they about those! I can only speak for the circles I run in but when the event sold out last year our conversation was "well better make sure you can afford the top tier and don't procrastinate" it was until the lotto was announced that we started worrying about scarcity and chance as opposed to just being prepared. That's when the conversation turned to " well, how many tickets should we buy?" I don't think this years results can tell us that much because they are based on fear which created a self fulfilling prophecy.

My personal opinion is that the lottery would make sense if we were to the point where tickets sold out in hours and even having money for top tier on the first day meant you still might not get a ticket. When an event sells out that quickly then it is all chance anyways. But we just weren't there yet. Having the cheap tickets sell out fast is normal because, well, they are cheap. It is what would have happened to those top tier tickets that sat on the market last year for 6 months despite all the warnings of a sell out that interests me. Those are the real indicators of demand.
Saigonborg

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:50 pm

copilot602 wrote:I am reiterating some things already said here but...
The lottery system sucks because it creates false scarcity by making people worry that they will not get tickets and therefore encouraging them to game the system, reducing the overall number of tickets. How many people do you know who figured out ways to enter themselves more than once in the lottery (spouses, friends, etc...?) Now multiply that by 30-40k ticket buyers. I would love to know how many entrees there were in the lottery. Gaurantee that # is much higher than actual final ticket sales.

The goals for ticket sales should be:
1. Let people who want the tickets the most get them.
2. Limit gaming of system and scalpers.

The obvious way to address the first goal is the old system of selling the tickets on a first come, first serve basis. The people who want to go will take the time to make sure they get one. Worked just fine till last year and the complaints came from people who waited till the last minute to get tickets and then couldn’t believe it was sold out. (online server-fail sucked but wasn’t the core problem)
To achieve the second goal you only have to make the tickets non-transferable and require the use of a system like STEP. The tickets come printed with the purchasers name, serial #, and “NON-TRANSFERABLE” printed in bold letters. Check the name against identification at the gate. Doesn’t match up? Don’t get in. Don’t need a ticket you bought? Sell it back ONLINE to BM at a sliding discounted rate that gets lower as the event get closer. Didn’t get a ticket but needed one? You’re on the waiting list. Not sure if your ticket is valid? Go online and verify it using STEP. No chance for scalpers to get involved, you now have access to all the unneeded tickets around the country not just the ones on your local craigslist, and everyone who puts in the effort to get a ticket in a timely manner gets one. Simple.

The system they created this year seems to have been the worst possible solution...not sure who is taking credit for it ...

Sad, but glad I wasn’t trying to go this year… Good luck to everyone who got screwed.

Boots

<redacted>
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby brnr96 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:54 pm

The worst possible system, indeed.
brnr96

Postby lemur » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:00 pm

The CO wrote:
bleurose51 wrote:3. 50,000 tickets plus a "negligible" number of volunteer/staff/artist tickets? What are YOU smoking? :-) I want some! There are most likely upwards of 5,000-7,000 free tickets distributed by BM for "volunteers/staff/artists". All of the regionals get tickets for their organizers, all the major art projects get fairly large numbers of tickets, anyone who volunteers 20+ hours last year (and that had to be several thousand people, between the Gate and DMV and DPW and Rangers and Lamplighters and everyone else) gets a discount ticket that hasn't even been accounted for, plus if you volunteered more, you get a free ticket. BM's paid staff is also big. There were many thousands of people at the event early last year and many of them were on free tickets or volunteer discount tickets, all of which are outside the "main ticket sale". This is not negligible.

Bollocks. I got a staff/artist ticket last year (and several before that), and I will happily call you out on this. The numbers and qualifications for a discount/gift ticket you are throwing around are not accurate.

Indeed, CO.

The claims of bleurose51 are not accurate when it comes to the Lamplighters.

People who volunteer with Lamplighters are not guaranteed a ticket to Burning Man.

Q. If I promise to work at Lamplighters, can I get a free ticket?

A. Nope. But what you'll get in return will far exceed your expectations.

-
lemur - Member of Lamplighters Management Team.
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby bleurose51 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:58 pm

[quote]The claims of bleurose51 are not accurate when it comes to the Lamplighters.
People who volunteer with Lamplighters are not guaranteed a ticket to Burning Man.
Q. If I promise to work at Lamplighters, can I get a free ticket?
A. Nope. But what you'll get in return will far exceed your expectations.
lemur - Member of Lamplighters Management Team.[/quote]

Lemur, first let me apologize for any misstatement I made. I was aware of the statement concerning Lamplighters, but I know at least two people who in the past had worked with Lamplighters for several years and after their first year got a discounted ticket. This was several years ago and so it may be different now, but as a member of DMV last year, I know that all of us who worked 18+ hours on-playa were assured a discounted ticket (and for substantially more work, a free ticket). I do know that many other services onplaya where people volunteeer DO get discounted tickets (and free tickets). There is no way the event could ever work as well as it has if that wasn't the case, I am sure.

In any case, I did not mean to misspeak. My point was much more about the fact that the people who go to work aren't necessarily being counted in the overall number and that number is far bigger than an "insignificant" number.
bleurose51

Postby lemur » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:46 pm

no problem ! no need to apoligize or even feel the need to..

..thats surely why its in the FAQ..

things likely may have been different in the past (and for many other depts too).. as it is now there is no discounted ticket program for lamplighters volunteers.

..getting access to tickets is very likely one of the biggest confusions/misconceptions about volunteering for burning man.. most people,.. the vast majority, do not get a ticket.. or even access to a discounted ticket..

in the end its surely better to have people who want to work because they love the work rather than people doing it because they want compensation (of some/any sort),.. i guess this is why the groups who do offer some kind of ticket access (like DMV, apparently.. ) dont post a ton about that stuff..

but!! volunteering is very rewarding in many ways.. even if you dont get compensation..
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby SageV » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:35 pm

"How to fix this" has nothing to do with tickets at this point. It's the hand radical inclusion dealt us. Now we need to suck ticketed virgins into our regionals, our social networks, out of the bars and into the streets, stop, collaborate and listen. Chaos is back in a brand new edition.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
-- Hunter S. Thompson
SageV

Burning Since: 1999

Postby Kimo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:38 am

Amongst the plethora of comments that the BMorg has been receiving, I hope that this one merits some true consideration from the powers that be. I’m an “experienced” burner… not that it makes me any more credible or deserving than a newbie or virgin. But I can offer my suggestions based upon multiple experiences during the playa population explosion that has occurred over the past 12 years. What follows are some observations, followed by some suggestions: (CAPS are used for quick reference only)

#1) NOBODY RECEIVES A PHYSICAL TICKET UNTIL JUNE
Therefore, the BMorg has plenty of time to go back to the data that they’ve collected from those who received ticket confirmation emails and send those people another email – informing them that the tickets they receive will have their name attached to the ticket, either printed on the ticket, or associated to the bar code (whichever is easier to facilitate). The bearer of that ticket will only be allowed admission with a proper government ID, and up to 1 guest (based upon the 2 ticket per credit card limit) matching that of the ticket’s registered owner. If the partipant has a problem with that they have 30 days to reply and they will not be charged, or if already charged they will be refunded. This makes the ticket non transferable, thus making if very difficult for black market sales of tickets. This can possibly flush out a lot of scalpers since they will have no means of changing the registered ticket owner’s information and these tickets can be re-introduced to the distribution system.

#2) NEGOTIATE WITH THE BLM
The 2012 permit is still under review with the BLM and future events are suggesting playa populations of up to 70,000 participants. The footprint of the playa was pushed back further into the desert last year to accommodate for the increased perimeter and overall size of the event. Theme camps had plenty of space and you could find large areas of unused space behind the street frontages of many camps. Add 2 perimeter streets and request a temporary increase from the BLM to 60,000 particpants for 2012. Since the BLM receives 3% of the gross ticket sales and coffee and ice sales, they get more $$$. So there is an incentive to them. 7,000 more people isn’t going to make that big of a difference to the infrastructure and logistics of the physical event. But it could be a huge difference in distributing tickets to those deserving participants, especially with the scalper tickets be re-introduced for distribution.

#3) EARLY ARRIVAL PASSES, THEME CAMPS AND VOLUNTEERS
Instead of providing 1 EAP for every 25 theme camp members, change the ratio to 1 for every 4, or every 3. This would allow more participants early arrival to establish the camps and complete construction of camps prior to the general opening. This would also reduce the number of people in the opening line on Sunday night / Monday morning, reducing the 6 hour waits.
Volunteers that register as a volunteer will need to pick up their tickets at the will-call window PRE-event. BMorg will limit the number of volunteers based upon the BMorg’s specific needs. But whatever that number is, registered volunteers MUST pick up their tickets at the will-call window by a specific PRE-EVENT DATE, or those unclaimed tickets will be re-introduced to the system and available for sale to the general public via the website and can be picked up at will-call anytime before 6:00 pm the Wednesday of the event. DPW volunteers, greeters, etc would all fall into the volunteer category.

#4) FINAL SALE OF 10,000 TICKETS PLAN – 1 TICKET/PER PERSON LIMIT
Obviously at this point it would be ridiculous to go forward with 4 tickets/per person. Anybody that wants to be out on the playa can make the effort to acquire a ticket in the next round. 1 ticket per person increases your odds of getting tickets 4x more than the previous plan. The BMorg is obviously going to take a look at the art car / art project / theme camp / volunteer participant numbers and allocate a part of that 10,000 to those involved in such projects. The question will then be, how many tickets does that leave to the general burner, you and me? If the BMorg can successfully negotiate an increase of 7,000 participants with the BLM this year (and don’t tell me it’s too late, cuz that’s BS since they don’t even have the permit locked down yet) then this could off-set the tickets they put aside for the project participants. And let’s also get all those other tickets out of the hands of scalpers!

#5) THE FUTURE – FERTILITY 2.0 MARKS A NEW ERA AND A NEW DAWN FOR BURNING MAN
This ain’t your father’s Oldsmobile! The population growth has been pretty consistent thoughout the last 10 years, with the exception of the recession year which was flat. The exponential growth that was experienced last year still hasn’t been quantified. How many people didn’t end up with tickets last year? How many veterans did? The population growth problem may not be as big as one might think. But we know for sure that there are more newbies wanting to experience this event each year than there are veterans who are “retiring”. Therefore, there is the obvious need to increase the capacity of this event over time. And though I hate to say it, the social media thing has obviously fueled the newbie interest. A Burning Man Facebook page? Burning Man and Facebook to me is like a turd in a punch bowl. Not really what Burning Man is all about. Nonetheless, it’s time for a major change if we are to maintain the core elements of this event that we experienced ones have come to love over the years and call home.

THERE IS NO BETTER TIME THAN NOW! IT’S NOT TOO LATE TO SAVE OUR BURNING MAN! Ahhh, yes, that was me shouting out at the top of my lungs.

FINAL OBSERVATIONS
There were some statements made by the BMorg about the amount of tickets (albeit “virtual” tickets at this point) that have ended up in scalpers hands, and that being an insignificant amount. This is not an accurate statement as the market will perceivably flood with scalped tickets in June when scalper sactually have physical tickets in their hands. Unless the BMorg prevents this – which they can. There are currently in excess of 200 virtual tickets for sale on the Internet today. The sellout of 2011 created the scalper market. BMorg has the ability to squash this aftermarket by employing the ID ticket distribution system earlier described. For them not to do this would be ignorant on their part. The lottery was admittedly a bad idea. Don’t make back-to-back mistakes. Fix what you can now and elimate the scalpers. You have the power!

And finally, to every one of you burners out there… please don’t assume that you’re more entitled to a ticket than someone else because you’re a seasoned veteran. Every single one of you was once a virgin yourself. Newbies can bring fresh ideas and new art and contribute to the overall event. Let them grow along with us at our special home on the playa. Just a little less dubstep and bull horns please. We are all one family. That’s why we all want to come home each year after year. Peace to all.
Kimo

Postby anile » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:23 am

Another benefit to non-transferable tickets is that convicted sexual predators who attend the festival every year would not be able to remain anonymous. Some of them register at the sheriff's station, like they are required to by law, but it is known among the LE community that that is a small percentage. Many buy their tickets from secondary sellers, and thus avoid their names, credit card numbers and email addresses being logged by actually purchasing the ticket from Burning Man. Requiring names on non-transferable tickets would address this problem,and possibly serve as a deterrent to their attending the event altogether.
anile

Previous

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion