Official "Not Awarded Tix" Thread

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Official "Not Awarded Tix" Thread

Postby camilo_wpg » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:57 pm

hey all! Long time burner who did not get tickets awarded. I registered in hopes of a succesful STEP program. If there's a will there's a way. I cannot help but feel a little screwed. I know it's not personal but it sure feels that way.

It's really too bad because for years we would have been planning our camp at this time and not be so damn worried about getting tickets. I really hope all works out because it just wouldn't be the same without the burn and the grilled cheese liqor party.

Keep calm and eat grilled cheese.
camilo_wpg

Postby trilobyte » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:34 pm

*P* - some kind of public transportation option would be a great way to try and improve things, but unfortunately aside from the logistics of packing out camp gear, mutant vehicles, and other structures there just isn't an infrastructure (both roads and public transportation system) to support it. It's much easier to have 100K people in Mexico City, or 75K people at the Oakland Coliseum, or any number of other less remote locations because there is that infrastructure available. One lane in, one lane out. No bus lane, no alternate route. If you can organize the vehicles and drivers to be able to try and make a bunch of runs to/from the playa before and after the event, I say go for it. Fernley may be tough (not sure of their public parking capacity), but you may find one of the Reno businesses (maybe a hotel) to offer as a dropoff/pickup point.

@Spritle712 - I don't believe that scalpers are the problem. For the long-winded answer, check the article I wrote and posted on the subject here.

@Dustdevil - I agree, I don't believe scalpers did this. I believe a significant portion of the professional scalpers were blocked.

@EmberDragon - you would be surprised at how many scalpers (and their proxies) were blocked during the registration process. While Coachella had 4x more tickets on offer than Burning Man, there are more than 20x more tickets being offered for Coachella from scalpers.

@Wrath - yes there are, but no scheduled passenger service or the kind of railway support we'd need. But man, decked out steam engine service would be AMAZING!

@brcprincess - I disagree, and don't think they made a mistake at all. A mistake would have been an unrestricted open sale (like last year), where the tickets would have ALL sold immediately, campmates would still be without tickets they needed, and scalpers wound up having a significant chunk of the supply.

@huskyfan - your choice, you can either give up or keep trying. For the longer version, see what I wrote here.

@Sugahoneyicetea - I wish it could start sooner too, but I think people needed some time after the drawing results and the startup of the ticket exchange. This gives people a chance to make their connections with friends first if they're able.

@dunkk - interesting post, but your own take (or spin) makes the assumption that scalpers got all the tickets. We blocked a lot of them, and the evidence I'm seeing on other sites so far does not point to scalpers getting a significant portion of the supply. For a longer explanation, see what I wrote on the subject here.

@mosquitopilate - I know how you feel, my girlfriend and I had a couple years off as well. Good luck in getting something sorted out. STEP is planned to launch on the 22nd, expect more info as well as links to the site around that time.

@Bay Bridge Sue - Stubhub's business was designed to help facilitate the sale of will-call tickets, so their terms allow the listing of tickets before they're in the customers' hands.

@camilo_wpg - sorry to hear about the situation, and hopefully things work out for you and your campmates. A grilled cheese party sounds great both on the playa and right about now.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:36 pm

FYI, I'm going to "de-sticky" both this and the awarded tickets threads.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby lucky420 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:03 pm

@ trilo- I wore that very necklace today (well not that one but you know what i mean.) I pair it with my pendant from the french quarter. For some reason it always makes me feel like everything will be okay... :D
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:53 pm

Did someone say grilled cheese?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Mosquitopilate » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:42 pm

I have only told this to a number of people in mylife, mostly myself, I have had the privledge to of had a series of dreams last year about the subject in which we at time to time discuss here at eplaya...BurningMan. It always seems to start out either pre dawn hours or what seems to be the most perfect dusk,it blows me away-sometimes I only dream the begining which is ok, the quiet vision I get to take in the beauty of the playa mixed with Lanscape and sunshine colors...amazing

Roads appear from ground up with motion that is a touch faster then a crawl. Wheels spinning ungodly slow but with a quick realization of the situation your mind is in. Sunglasses off I vear towards mountain ranges,shadows take your eyes off the task at hand...driving carefully
With all this going on is for some reason the same everytime Pink Floyd "On The Turning Away" from the album Momentary Lapse of Reason is playing at a perfect pitch. Fighting feelings is easy sometimes but there is no way a person would want to deny the way that song is flowing through me while the anticipation of the arrival to a place that has been described a billion different acurate ways...... I will Continue at another time sleepy I know big shock

Please Use STEP I NEED YOU (I will only buy 1 I swear)
Twitter - @BurnPlayaMan E-Mail - Mosquitopilate@yahoo.com Image
Thanks to all that made BM 2012 great. You people are the best on planet earth )'( )'( )'(
Mosquitopilate

Burning Since: 2001

Postby gnossos » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:24 pm

I'm in the same predicament myself. I've been dying to get to BM ever since I heard about it, and so has my fiance. We have our hearts set on a Playa wedding, but we both know the odds are against us getting tickets. We'd both be first timers, but I just know it would be home to us. Both of us have been to loads of festivals, gatherings, raves, etc. but none of it seems to hold a candle to what we imagine the BM experience would be like. I'm hoping against hope that we find a way to make it, cause if not I believe any other wedding setting would just be sub-par.
gnossos

Postby drutter » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:14 am

Put us (2) down as another "hoping Step works for us". Would have been our 4th and 5th Burn.
Heavy on preparations, light on expectations.
drutter

Postby BBadger » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:16 am

drutter wrote:Put us (2) down as another "hoping Step works for us". Would have been our 4th and 5th Burn.

But did you sign up for the lottery with a single account for two tickets, or separately?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Previous

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion