Official "Not Awarded Tix" Thread

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Official "Not Awarded Tix" Thread

Postby blueskinnedmacaque » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:04 am

I have also lost the lottery.... not that I've ever won a lottery.

Supposing I miss out on the open sale (currently in Asia with net access not a guarantee), and dont get lucky with STEPs.... is there any other way to get to BM?
blueskinnedmacaque

Postby Eric » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:07 am

blueskinnedmacaque wrote:I have also lost the lottery.... not that I've ever won a lottery.

Supposing I miss out on the open sale (currently in Asia with net access not a guarantee), and dont get lucky with STEPs.... is there any other way to get to BM?

Only if you find a ticket on the secondary Market (after June, once the physical tickets are released).
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Raymaker » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:18 am

dunkk wrote:The population ceiling is for good reason. There is only one highway in and out. It can handle only a limited number of vehicles.

Obviously this is an assumption, or if it's not, tell me when they sent 35,000 vehicles down the road to prove it cannot cope, when people cite assumptions I immediately think 'propaganda'. What is a know problem is that if a breakdown occurs, and I bet the limit is based on how much the police force would be pissed off having to sort problems out.
Raymaker

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:44 am

shut up, hippy.
fuck you, it's magic

"i manifest that shit, yo.....Thug Burner for Life"

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby lemur » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:58 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:shut up, hippy.

PSY-OPS PROPAGANDA !!!
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:02 am

Raymaker wrote:
dunkk wrote:The population ceiling is for good reason. There is only one highway in and out. It can handle only a limited number of vehicles.

Obviously this is an assumption, or if it's not, tell me when they sent 35,000 vehicles down the road to prove it cannot cope, when people cite assumptions I immediately think 'propaganda'. What is a know problem is that if a breakdown occurs, and I bet the limit is based on how much the police force would be pissed off having to sort problems out.

Last year's exodus was very slow indeed with accidents on I=80. Is that "real world" enough for you? Certainly, as the population increased, traffic got worse. Perhaps they extrapolated from that. Adding in stuff from other traffic situations as well. Heck, they could have used traffic studies from 49ers games, from what they were saying a couple weeks ago.
Last edited by theCryptofishist on Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:10 am

i have no idea what the fuck you are talking about Lemur.

you are obviously paranoid and delusional.

you possibly might harm yourself or others.

the knock on the door should be soon

say hi To JPQ for me... :twisted:
fuck you, it's magic

"i manifest that shit, yo.....Thug Burner for Life"

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Welcome a new generation of Burners. Brought to you by Stub

Postby JIHADJIM » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:00 am

Ever heard of Stub Hub? Here is their description of the event. Better know it by heart( if you are going this year). You will be camping with many new Burners. Might help to explain things to your wealthy new friends. Mabe the ORG. can just merge, and make it easier for everyone. No pesky press releases. Everyone will know that they really don't give a shit, and you can get screwed w/o getting pissed off.
P.S. Tickets are listed right now from $750-$2600.
Enjoy!

"The event may be sold out, but you can still find some right here on StubHub! The annual event is an experience unlike any other. Venture into the desert with plenty of water and expect the unexpected. Is that a dragon over the next shimmering hill, or just a mirage? If you're at Burning Man, you should always bank on the surreal being real.

Burning Man Festival Gerlach
The Burning Man Festival has a pretty long history, and as you can imagine, tickets sell out pretty quickly at this point in time. It started back in 1990 when the San Francisco Cacophony Society first started gathering on Baker Beach in celebration of the summer solstice. Free spirits of every stripe would come out to participate, lending a hand in the erection a giant wooden figure. They'd cap off the night by setting him ablaze - a spectacle that has only grown in time. Now it takes place out in Gerlach, Nevada.

Burning Man Festival Black Rock Desert Tickets
Burning Man runs from the Monday before Labor Day each year, and finishes on Labor Day. Over the years its moved to more remote locations than its original Bay Area environs, and now takes place out in the Black Rock Desert in Nevada. No, there's not much out there - and it is most definitely out there. You're entering actual wilderness, so always read up on what it takes to live for a few days outside of normal society.

Burning Man Festival Gerlach Black Rock Desert Tickets
Though StubHub focuses on bringing you sports, concert and theater tickets, you can find tickets to all kinds of random events on the site. Whether it's your first time out at Burning Man or you're looking for a unique festival event of another kind, make sure you check StubHub first."
JIHADJIM

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:01 am

*yawn*
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Raymaker » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:06 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:shut up, hippy.

I thought you agree to call me a hipster. Anyway, not my problem anymore, deciding not to go again has lifted my stress and depression. So good for me, yeah!! :shock:
Raymaker

Postby 'P' » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:00 pm

Sign of the times. NDAA, SOPA, PIPA, Bmorg lottery.. If you build it they will come. What happens if you build it and tell them they can't? How does 110,000 people come and leave for a concert in Mexico City in one day? A lot of them come on the public transportation. That is the thing with us Americans is we are independent and have to our own shit with us. If the highway is a true issue with BLM or the Nevada DOT why can't "WE" put together some sort of transportation from Fernley, Or a big fenced parking area at the beginning of the Playa. It is something that would take planning to do but if the majority of the Veterens did not get tickets I think we could throw a bad ass plan together and make it happen, I guarantee it!! We will not make it if we are divided. Bmorg camp, theme camps, camps, and single campers need another thread, there needs to be a real organized discussion about what is to happen with this year and the future. Like she said, "this is real". It must be faced by all. Thanks have a wonderful day. Love "P" from misfit island.
'P'

Postby Ratty » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:22 pm

Cheer up. Were you planning to make a little extra dough with those tickets? You can still cash in. There is a 'rejection letter' up for auction on eBay with 13 bids. I'm having mine laminated and keep it always.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG
Ratty

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Sporks are For Pussys

Postby Spritle712 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:54 pm

Dustdevil wrote:I cannot sign a petition that begins with an assumption rather than a fact. There is no conclusive evidence that scalpers are the cause of the ticket situation. With only 78 of the 40,000 plus tickets sold have made it to StubHub I would like to see cites of where your information comes from if it is not your own speculation. Four weeks ago the Youtube video "Oh the places you'll go at Burning Man" went viral with close to 1.3M views. It would seem just as likely, if not more so, that this video could have caused a spike in ticket demand.

"With the introduction of the lottery system there is an inequality in the distribution of tickets. The scalpers have succeeded in procuring tickets, but theme camps are finding that in some cases only a handful of members have been awarded tickets."

I don't think you're thinking this through or you don't have all the publicly available info.

There's no evidence that burners are sitting on tickets. Every camp is clamoring for tickets. Did you see the guardian article? Even BMORG knows that theme camps are not sitting on tickets.

Why would a scalper sitting on several hundred or more tickets put them all up at once? That would increase supply and lower the price.

The PROBLEM IS SCALPERS. There's no way burner ticket demand increased from ~60k in August of 2011 to ~175k in February of 2012.
Spritle712

Postby JIHADJIM » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:17 pm

I agree. Why sell them now? See how many pop up in March. If only a third of the tickets are in the hands of people who are going, WTF are the rest of them? This lottery fucked up this years event.
JIHADJIM

Postby Dustdevil » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:55 pm

Or perhaps my views are not based on what the public is being told. Or perhaps I am waiting until the speculation is replaced by facts. I never said Burners are sitting on all the tickets. I only offer that as an explanation that is just as viable as "the scalpers did this". Again, Cites?
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Postby 315and EGO » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:24 pm

The lottery Borg patch v 1.0.0.0.1. All I here is different versions of why someone else is the cause of a person getting in. Instead of making a patch for this why don't we fix the problem. 60,000 + people want to go to the Playa, but they all can't. This address needs to be looked at, appealed, at least there could be some kind of pressure. Is there 4 square miles of private playa type land around that area where this event could move. Would it be that hard being there is nothing left on that piece of land at this point in time. Does this event provide positive cash for that BLM district? If so would starting the ball for moving to private place help the BLM "re-open" the population cap issue. Lets move on getting everyone in not just the individual this year.
315and EGO

Postby EmberDragon » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:48 pm

Here is a story from the New Mexico Burner group. I have heard many like it, and I think this lottery process sucks ass. How many scalpers lied on their applications to get tickets and cheated to get multiples, when Burners for whom the playa has become a sacred part of their lives get turned away? It's for reasons like this that the energy turns and an event like Burning Man dies. Perhaps it is time.

"A bit personal, but my mom was going to the Burn for the 1st time this year. I spread my Dad's ashes on the Playa last year. I figured that I was leaving him somewhere where there would always be forward movement and positive energy and I would always get to see him every year. I'm trying to make peace which the idea that I might not to go visit my dad this year, but I can't help wondering. Didn't they think that for some, the Burn had become sacred. That some had left a part of their soul there? How could they lottery out something like that. Sorry. A bit bummed. This month a year ago is when my father passed. There was never any doubt I as taking him to the Playa. Another good Burner friend was taking his wife's ashes as well. She passed in Nov and both of them camped next to us in 2010. He couldn't go in 2011 cause of her illness, etc. he lost the lottery. Thanks for letting me write some of this out. It helps to get it out somewhere and y'all seem to be a caring, fun, and potentially active group. I wanna be active. It's how I deal. Namaste."
EmberDragon

Postby Wrath » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:37 pm

'P' wrote:How does 110,000 people come and leave for a concert in Mexico City in one day? A lot of them come on the public transportation.

Aren't there train tracks running along the playa just south of the city? Arriving at Black Rock City in some neo-victorian steampunk conveyance just might make my life complete.
Wrath

Postby Wrath » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:53 pm

BBadger wrote:Wrath, remember that this is a BLM permit negotiation year, and that last year was a single-year permit capped around 50,000. Prior to that, we had a 5-year permit going from about 32500 people up to 50,000. In 2007 and 2008 the population surpassed the 6% growth estimate by a large amount nearly reaching the maximum 50,000 people. Those over-estimate populations were still under the maximum cap, and so long as BMOrg had adequate facilities, that was permissible.

Last year was a single-year, 50,000-cap permit, lacking the flexibility the previous permit enabled. In effect, the permit prevented much variance from the 50,000 maximum population, despite possible growth. We saw the result in the final month as tickets sold out for the first time.

mmmm... input.... MORE INPUT!!!

BBadger wrote:This year is a (another?) permit negotiation year. The BLM permit has not yet been issued. BMOrg is trying for another 5-year permit that would allow the population to swell up to 70,000 participants by 2016. The status of this permit is still under wraps. It may end up that we have another 50,000-capped permit if negotiations fall-through.

Okay.....

BBadger wrote:Such a permit might enable BMOrg to sell more tickets

Says wha?
Wrath

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:35 pm

EmberDragon wrote:Didn't they think that for some, the Burn had become sacred. That some had left a part of their soul there? How could they lottery out something like that.

Okay, here's my nominee for today's most pathetic self-pity. "Sacred". People have been forcibly separated from their sacred spaces all over the world for pretty much most of human history. The jews had it happen twice. The five=hundred year history of American Indians. Tibet.

Of course, having trickster gods, I have to be somewhat adept and sacrilizing where I am...
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Wrath » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:19 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
EmberDragon wrote:Didn't they think that for some, the Burn had become sacred. That some had left a part of their soul there? How could they lottery out something like that.

People have been forcibly separated from their sacred spaces all over the world for pretty much most of human history. The jews had it happen twice. The five=hundred year history of American Indians. Tibet.

...and in any of those instances was it ever a good thing?

theCryptofishist wrote:Okay, here's my nominee for today's most pathetic self-pity. "Sacred".

Way to bag on someone's emotions. Dick.
Wrath

Postby BBadger » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:02 pm

We'll attach a "namaste" to the "sacred response" too.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:28 pm

I really should have had a point knocked off for using "pathetic" and "pity" together. They are basically the same word.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Spritle712 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:29 pm

Dustdevil wrote:Or perhaps my views are not based on what the public is being told. Or perhaps I am waiting until the speculation is replaced by facts. I never said Burners are sitting on all the tickets. I only offer that as an explanation that is just as viable as "the scalpers did this". Again, Cites?

I'd cite thinking it through. How did demand jump so precipitously? ~60k last July for 2011 burn to >150k in January for the 2012 burn? Scores of people reporting their camps got <25% success rate in the lottery. Where did all these tickets go? Scalpers do this for a living. I'd sign that petition. Would you prefer BMORG stick with the pre-lottery plan? I'm willing to give BM the two weeks they asked for but I'm still trying to get them to take action to save 2012 from sucking.
Spritle712

Postby BBadger » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:44 am

Spritle712 wrote:I'd cite thinking it through.

That's not a citation. That's speculation. Don't abuse the former term; it makes you look stupid.

How did demand jump so precipitously? ~60k last July for 2011 burn to >150k in January for the 2012 burn? Scores of people reporting their camps got <25% success rate in the lottery. Where did all these tickets go? Scalpers do this for a living. I'd sign that petition. Would you prefer BMORG stick with the pre-lottery plan? I'm willing to give BM the two weeks they asked for but I'm still trying to get them to take action to save 2012 from sucking.

Where did the tickets go? How would anyone know at this point? So why jump to conclusions that scalpers got them? You might as well assume that Elvis returned to earth and stole all the tickets. It's about as ridiculous.

Your data is very weak and anecdotal. So some people in some camps report < 25%. How good is that data? How much of it is redundant? How many distinct camps do you even have data from? Could you even give a number on how many camps actually planned on attending?

Even in my own camp the data isn't good. 18 people responded as having a ticket, 17 responding they need tickets. However, that comprises less than 1/4th of the people in my camp, of those supposedly in our camp this year, actually responding. It's terrible data. Even with perfect camp data, there is still no data to support that the rest of the tickets went to scalpers--or even significant amounts of those tickets going to scalpers. No data.

There'll be data if significant amounts of hard tickets start entering the market, not just "soft tickets" middle-men scalpers who sell without actually owning the ticket itself. That data may come out later, after June. Until then, there is nothing more than weak speculation on part of the effects of scalpers.

What data do we know? About 23,500 people actually won the tickets (40,000 / 1.7 average tickets requested per registrant). BMOrg knows how many signed up for the lottery; however, what they don't know is how many of the "people" who requested tickets were extra accounts of a single person to game the system. Nobody knows, not even BMOrg. How are you going to figure out what true demand was given that kind of data? You can't. So stop the stupid speculation that relies on no data.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby Raymaker » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:50 am

I know a friend who knows a friend who told him Elvis returned to Earth and stole all the tickets.

You said 'data' 13 times, is that a bad omen?
Raymaker

Postby lemur » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:00 am

Raymaker wrote:
You said 'data' 13 times, is that a bad omen?

that would count as data..

at least someone is keeping count of the real numbers.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:55 am

BBadger wrote:
You might as well assume that Elvis returned to earth and stole all the tickets. It's about as ridiculous.

Yes that is ridiculous - everyone knows that it was Jim Morrison who stole all the tickets.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Spritle712 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:49 am

Yeah, let's just sit around and wait. Suggest going in 2013 or some awesome idea like that.

Okay, more "data". We had 23 people request tickets (I believe but am not sure they all requested two). 3 people got tickets. Two received 2 tickets but one of them got four tickets (obvious glitch).

Anyway, encouraging response from BMORG on the petition so no need to sign it.

Just wanted to say thank you for signing the petition and give you a status update.

I have been contacted by BM representatives, and they have indicated that they are aware of the petition. They have heard the community, and are working on potential solutions to the issue. I believe we have brought the right amount of attention to the issue, and it's time to give the BM team some space to work out an appropriate solution for the community.

In less than a week we brought over 4000 signers to bear on the issue. I am turning off the petition at this time, I hope that I get the chance to see all of you rolling in the dust this year.

Thank you for your support.
Spritle712

Postby brcprincess » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:51 am

I'm not going to say how I feel about this lottery because I think BMO has been bashed enough. They made a mistake. They are only human and we all do it. The saying goes "To err is human, to forgive is divine".

The real test of BMO's character will be how they handle this mistake.

Are they finally going to start listening and taking onboard ideas from the community?

Or are they going to stick with the BMO party lines, continuing to shut themselves off from us, and further alienating themselves from the community?
brcprincess

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion