Official "Not Awarded Tix" Thread

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Official "Not Awarded Tix" Thread

Postby randomgirl7 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:29 am

I'm going to say... the thing I hate most about this system is the waiting. For a month we had to wait to be selected.. and then we had to wait for two days for an email saying yes/no. NOW we have to wait a month for Step.. and two months for the final lottery.

Last year I was lucky and wasn't part of the panic of not having a ticket... but I felt so bad watching everyone desperately try to find a ticket. Looks like the panic is going to be more than just a few months this year... it'll be half a year of trying to find a face value ticket.
randomgirl7

Postby burner von braun » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:30 am

*pulls back on the stick and taps fuel gauge*

Dang, been on approach and circling for 24 hours, but it looks like this runway is closed

*adjusts radio frequency to receive new flight plan and slowly regains altitude*

I'll get 'er set down on the playa, just gonna have to keep flying for a while longer.
Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Burning Since: 2010

Postby The Sauce » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:30 am

One of the most terrible things is the thought that friends, lovers, families may get split up and some get a ticket and some don't. What a horrible feeling, it won't feel like home if I can't see my family.
The Sauce

Postby lemur » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:31 am

THE BLM PERMITS AND THEIR ANTI-AMERICAN RESTRICTIONS OF FEDERAL LAND RUINED BURNING MAN!!!!!!!!!
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:31 am

Boobies.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby monsta2ownzu » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:31 am

My group came out 0 for 5.

Honestly I just think this gave scalpers two weeks to open as many credit cards and create as much phony registration info as they could to snatch up the tickets. There are already very large numbers of tickets up for resale above 650 on stub hub. Way to "keep them out of the hands of scalpers".
When all else fails ... plan for burning man.
monsta2ownzu

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: The Neighbourhood

Postby randomgirl7 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:33 am

[quote="lemur"][size=200]THE BLM PERMITS AND THEIR ANTI-AMERICAN RESTRICTIONS OF FEDERAL LAND RUINED BURNING MAN!!!!!!!!![/size][/quote]

I really want to start singing this land is your land ;)
randomgirl7

Re: Official "Not Awarded Tix...yet" Thread

Postby The CO » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:34 am

Don't

There is still the open sale & the STEP program.

Don't buy from scalpers. Face value or fuck off.

This is still a do-ocracy, there are still ticket going on sale, and there will be face value tickets available via STEP.

And who knows, people might discover that if they hang around on Eplaya for reasons other than grumbling, they might get to know some of the kind folk that go to TTITD. Sometimes those people can't make it, and they often look to folks they know on the board that are in hard ticket times. But if all one does is post a couple times grousing about things, you'll never meet those people. 2 people in my camp got tickets (at face value) after the sellout last year from people met through Eplaya. And one person that couldn't make it sold his (also at face value) via Eplaya. STEP should make that kind of thing easier.

Patience and persistence will get you a ticket.
Those who persevere, burn.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby Nickag » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:34 am

Our group ended up going 3/10... Sucks. We had such big plans :(
Nickag

Postby Minxylee » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:35 am

heart broken and feeling sad but still holding out hope for the resales and March 28th..

don't think my stress levels have ever been this high though.. tonight I may actually get some sleep.
Minxylee

Postby The CO » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:35 am

Bounce530 wrote:It's going to be a crappy year filled of virgins standing around staring at each other trying to figure out what the big deal is, and where the naked chicks and drugs are.

What leads you to believe that virgins are going to be the only ones that get tickets?
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby spacecat » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:36 am

I usually just lurk but created an account specifically to say this-

My girlfriend and I only registered for 2 tickets and weren't selected. I know that we'll probably be able to get some eventually through STEP or the March sale but I have to say that this whole system is causing a lot of people to feel really shitty. It's a combination of feeling stressed, sad, and rejected. As inconvenient as the old system was on opening day, at least everyone who wanted to buy a ticket in January could get their ticket in January. First come, first serve was fair. This year, because we can't afford to register multiple times but other people can, we get fucked. This system penalizes low income burners and does not alleviate the net stress felt by people during this period.

I realize they implemented this with the best intentions but clearly the lottery system does not work. Furthermore, if they continue with this system, then next year this problem will be much worse because everyone will remember that there weren't enough tickets to go around and so will register multiple times. I think this year, a lot of people (myself included) only registered once because we were confident that there would be less than 40,000 people entered in the lottery. Next year, if it's a lottery again, everyone will register multiple times and the whole system will be fucked.

I urge the ticketing team to either go back to the old system or move to a stronger system with better servers but please PLEASE do not continue with the lottery.
spacecat

Postby litlaur » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:37 am

The lottery system sucks, and I'd think so even if I had been awarded tickets. It's no better than previous years; it just sucks in a different way now.
litlaur

Burning Since: 2009

AND NOW THE MATHS....

Postby Nipple » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:38 am

monsta2ownzu wrote:There are already very large numbers of tickets up for resale above 650 on stub hub. Way to "keep them out of the hands of scalpers".

81 out of 43,000 tickets released to date...

0.188% of tickets released so far are currently on Stub Hub.

Yes! Way to keep them out of the hands of scalpers! Good job, ticketing!
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Nickag » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:38 am

spacecat wrote:I usually just lurk but created an account specifically to say this-

My girlfriend and I only registered for 2 tickets and weren't selected. I know that we'll probably be able to get some eventually through STEP or the March sale but I have to say that this whole system is causing a lot of people to feel really shitty. It's a combination of feeling stressed, sad, and rejected. As inconvenient as the old system was on opening day, at least everyone who wanted to buy a ticket in January could get their ticket in January. First come, first serve was fair. This year, because we can't afford to register multiple times but other people can, we get fucked. This system penalizes low income burners and does not alleviate the net stress felt by people during this period.

I realize they implemented this with the best intentions but clearly the lottery system does not work. Furthermore, if they continue with this system, then next year this problem will be much worse because everyone will remember that there weren't enough tickets to go around and so will register multiple times. I think this year, a lot of people (myself included) only registered once because we were confident that there would be less than 40,000 people entered in the lottery. Next year, if it's a lottery again, everyone will register multiple times and the whole system will be fucked.

I urge the ticketing team to either go back to the old system or move to a stronger system with better servers but please PLEASE do not continue with the lottery.

^This
Nickag

Postby hellolinds » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:39 am

hmm should have read earlier in the thread - in this case, no news is not good news.

I'll shake off this sad feeling, but over 75% of our rather large group did not receive tickets. I know there's going to be some push-back on getting started on our project when so many do not have tickets. That sucks. Hopefully I'll still be driving a cube van down and not just my hatchback.
hellolinds

Postby Bounce530 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:40 am

This board, and the info coming in from various bookface groups.
Loads of groups/camps are either scaling back, or pulling out completely.
But hey it was a success, all the tickets were sold without a computer crash, yay!!
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby kitkatseattle » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:40 am

Bummer, now there is more waiting. I think more of my friends got tickets than didn't, and I'm hopeful to get one somehow. Good luck to everyone else on this thread!
kitkatseattle

Postby skyhawkecks » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:40 am

I got real lucky last year and actually won a ticket merely weeks before the Burn. I feel like that luck will carry on this year.
skyhawkecks

Burning Since: 2011

Postby bigdane » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:42 am

It sucks that everyone who wanted a ticket didn't get one!

It sucks that so many people took the safe route and amassed exta tickets to safeguard their attendance!

It sucks the most that there is an after-market opportunity that exploits the community for financial gain.

I'm an optimist, however, and believe that the STEP program will enable most of the community to procure entrance.
I also believe that there are members of the community that will help others find a fair priced ticket.

Is it easier to feel this way because I was fortunate to get a ticket...hell yes.

I ordered one ticket and that's what I got...I could have been on the short end of that straw..and I pledged before the lottery opened that if I didn't get a ticket via the lottery AND if I didn't get one through STEP that I would NOT order from anyone who was after a profit! Even if it meant missing my first burn!

As long as there is a market there will be fuckwads who will manipulate and abuse any system and make it impossible for that system to work to the benefit of the burner community.
Refuse to pay their prices and perhaps there will be fewer fuckwads next year!!!

Bravo to you if you are trying to keep a positive attitude! It can't be easy...
don't play with matches unless you intend to burn
bigdane

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro

Postby Mikey Lion » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:44 am

piehole wrote:
Mikey Lion wrote:Good thing my camp has been having fundraisers non-stop for the past 2 months... We went 0-5 on this fucking piece of shit lottery. :x We'll find a way to the burn one way or another, but goddamn this is some bullshit.

1/6, thanks for excluding me dick

lol oh Pie guy!
Mikey Lion

Postby Minxylee » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:46 am

feel quite sad that some amazing camps may pull out. My first year I met some truly amazing people in some wonderful camps and was hoping to see them again. :(

I really hope that any virgins that were lucky enough to get tickets read into detail what the event is about and embrace the full BM experience .... for me it was life changing!!

right time to get positive.. i will get a ticket... i will get a ticket..
Minxylee

Postby misterdj » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:47 am

No luck in the lottery. Congrats to those who did.

Have to keep faith in STEP and the Secondary sale.
misterdj

Postby Pipey » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:48 am

WOW. This is a huge bummer. Out of the 13 core members of DISTRIKT, only 4 of us got confirmation emails with tickets - and one of them only got 1 ticket when he submitted for 2. An even lesser % of tickets were awarded to the 50 folks we need beyond the 13 of us, to ensure the camp can operate the way it needs to. For the effort that we put in to getting out there & putting together the daytime music & dance & bar gift we love giving at Burning Man, this is a slap in the face. Very saddened that our key planning time will be spent instead, in a frenzy trying to get tickets for the core membership to be at BM to build camp.

I wasn't vocal initially about my concerns with this ticket process really interrupting the creativity and gift culture of BM, but this is a perfect example of that concern. I was hoping my fears would not be realized. We are unable to concentrate our time and efforts on putting together a wonderful experience for everyone when folks can't even be sure they will be able to go. We minimally need our early arrival core team to all have tickets.

What a HUGE disappointment. We will plow through and try to make this work, but truly, there has to be an easier way than punishing a group of folks who all bought their tickets in advance in years past so we could focus & concentrate on making our camp interactivity and day party, the very best it could be on the playa. :(
Pipey

Postby forge » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:49 am

Bounce530 wrote:This board, and the info coming in from various bookface groups.
Loads of groups/camps are either scaling back, or pulling out completely.
But hey it was a success, all the tickets were sold without a computer crash, yay!!

Thank god we saved the computer!!! Poor processors and servers always getting overloaded
forge

Postby AbundantChoice » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:49 am

I'm bummed out; I got nuthin'

I'm totally committed to going (i've already paid camp dues and everything), so i'm going to try STEP, then the open sale, then eventually (ugh) scalpers. So foer now it's less the "damn, I didn't get a ticket" aspect of it, and more the uncertainty of it now. Because I know i'm going to end up with a ticket, I just have no idea how much it's going to eventually cost me. I hate that uncertainty.
All Black Holes Begin As Stars.
AbundantChoice

Postby eastcoastpat » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:50 am

Bounce530 wrote:It's going to be a crappy year filled of virgins standing around staring at each other trying to figure out what the big deal is, and where the naked chicks and drugs are.

EPIC post. I have kept my mouth pretty well sealed about the whole deal, only signed up for the tickets myself and my girlfriend needed. Oh well.

I guess last year really was the last burn. sad. Congrats to everyone who got tickets! Cheers!

-BTW I have only had a few posts but I am far from a virgin burner..
Guess it will be regionals FTW. :-(
eastcoastpat

Postby MrBeardy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:51 am

No luck for me...looks like the man burned me this time around. No worries though, there will be tickets flowing shortly, and if I fail at that too, then the rest of us can mob out there and hop that two foot fence to get back home.... :wink:
Last edited by MrBeardy on Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrBeardy

Postby Rabbette » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:51 am

My heart hangs heavy for all burners whom did not receive tickets. I hope that somehow an opportunity opens that all burners can find a way home.
~many hugs
Rabbette
Smile, who cares if you don't have all your teeth.
Rabbette

Postby Sugahoneyicetea » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:52 am

well...I havent got an email saying weather or not i won. Im gonna take it as a no.
its kind of discouraging.
I'm really not sure if im gonna go through STEP or not. I really just need too chill
congrats on everyone that won.
maybe ill make another appearance when STEP starts....
:cry:
Sugahoneyicetea

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion