Official "Not Awarded Tix" Thread

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Official "Not Awarded Tix" Thread

Postby Hijack » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:56 am

I'm looking forward to sneaking in to burning man for the first time. I'm going to keep playing by the rules with STEP and the open sale in March, but I'm getting a little jaded about it all. I'm absolutely sneaking in though, if I continue getting screwed over.
Hijack

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:57 am

Nothing for the Fish. I'll work it out.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:57 am

Hijack wrote:I'm looking forward to sneaking in to burning man for the first time. I'm going to keep playing by the rules with STEP and the open sale in March, but I'm getting a little jaded about it all. I'm absolutely sneaking in though, if I continue getting screwed over.

Gate/Perimeter is looking forwards to catching you.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby skyhawkecks » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:59 am

I haven't even gotten an email telling me I didn't win.

skyhawkecks

Burning Since: 2011

Postby piehole » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:59 am

Mikey Lion wrote:Good thing my camp has been having fundraisers non-stop for the past 2 months... We went 0-5 on this fucking piece of shit lottery. :x We'll find a way to the burn one way or another, but goddamn this is some bullshit.

1/6, thanks for excluding me dick
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
piehole

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Ace828 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:59 am

Today is a sad day. No tix for me or ANYONE in my crew.. Congratulations to the burners who did receive tix though!
Ace828

Postby Hijack » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:00 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
Hijack wrote:MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEREEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

So, is this mereh? or is it meh? and if it's meh, can it really be meh with all those exclamation points and the long, drawn-out spelling and the capital letters?

It was a big, discontented, sorrowful "Meh!"

Stupid touchscreen!
Hijack

Postby tahiti_treat » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:00 am

RedHeaven wrote:I did not win the lotto. Kinda feels like getting kicked psychologically, like "Gee I must not be deserving or something" but I have to keep reminding myself that this is RANDOM, nobody is picking ME out!

I know! It's so hard to shake that feeling even though I know it's not personal.
tahiti_treat

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: NoTown

Postby tinydancr » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:01 am

*le sigh* I refreshed and refreshed and refreshed.
I'll be in BRC either way though... hope STEP works well!
shut up and dance.
tinydancr

Postby litlaur » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:02 am

has anyone received their rejection letter yet?
litlaur

Burning Since: 2009

Postby lucky420 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:05 am

No rejection letter yet...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Shadowcasting » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:05 am

Being rejected by Burning Man sucks.....

(Yes, of course I know it was computer automated, but that's still how it feels :p )
Shadowcasting

Postby Finxiekins » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:06 am

Keep your chin up guys! It will happen for us - We have to make it happen ourselves! What a good time to practice radical self reliance!
Finxiekins

Postby feralfrank » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:07 am

the only problem with getting tickets in previous years was procrastination. you eliminated procrastination but decreased ticket access to everyone. No part of the process actually eliminates scalping, you just gave them the same chance as everyone else.

:x
the obvious disgruntled burner without a ticket
feralfrank

Postby hellolinds » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:08 am

How long until the rejection emails go out? We haven't heard one way or the other.

A bit worried after seeing a few people who made changes to their registrations, didn't have their registrations actually changed and got a different ticket, or too many. My boyfriend emailed to change our registration and make us eligible in the higher ticket tier - received a new registration confirmation, but now no word. :(

sigh - it'll work out though!
hellolinds

Postby matt_kicks » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:09 am

Our camp didn't even break 35%.

If you don't give some weight to the amount of time and effort invested by the applicants, any ticketing system is going to be some random shit show that leaves a dedicated participants out to dry.
matt_kicks

Postby sambojones » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:10 am

got my tix but my friends didn't our group is 1/4 on orders so this is really bittersweet and suxxors big time my ticket boner is now limper than a soggy noodle which is making me reconsider attending :(
does this water taste like raspberries or am I still fucked up...oh wait it's raspberry flavored water
sambojones

Postby forge » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:11 am

So lesson learned from this year's lottery sale:

Do not sign up for only the tickets you need. Sign up for the absolute maximum you can afford on your card and ask your friends and relatives to sign up for the maximum they can afford in so that you increase your odds of getting tickets and as an added bonus have extra tickets you can then sell at a higher price.
forge

Postby caturdaze » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:13 am

Me: "Oh, looks like they'll be awarded tickets by lottery this year." :?
My Partner: :evil: "OMG WTF? FUCK THEM! FUCK THEM RIGHT IN THEIR ASSES! I'm going fight back! I'm going to have every single fucking person I know and all my uncles and my dad and mom each register for 2 tickets each! Fuck them for trying to prevent me from going!" :twisted:
Me: "Oh, stop freaking out. That's totally unnecessary. :idea: How about I'll register for 2 and you register for 2. One of us is sure to win. If we both win, we'll give them to (our two poor friends who always wait until the last minute and freaked out last year cause they didn't get tickets before the sell-out). If only one of us wins, then we still get to go. I'm sure there's no need to have a bunch of people enter the lottery on our behalf. Surely this system will work out just fine. I have full faith that we're gonna end up with 4 tickets here." :)
MP: "OMG ARE YOU SURE?!" :cry:
Me: "Yes, yes, don't you worry." 8)

February 1st: No tickets.
Me: "Well, I feel dumb." :(
MP: :evil: :evil: :evil:
caturdaze

Postby TertiusOculum » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:16 am

2 of 9 in my group received tickets. This is huge bummer.
TertiusOculum

Postby Bounce530 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:16 am

I've held my tongue about my feelings on the lottery, to see how it played out, and now that it's over I say IT'S BULLSHIT!!!
Yeah the lottery was a success for Burning Man because all the tickets were sold, and the sale went smoothly for them (no computer rushes/crashes. That's how and why some keep saying it's a success. The org does not care who attends, just that the money from the tickets is good. So the for the corporate mentality that is now the Burning man heads it was a success.

To the average burners this process sucked, and has changed the face of the city.
Anybody know a good tattoo cover-up artist?
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby litlaur » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:17 am

forge wrote:So lesson learned from this year's lottery sale:

Do not sign up for only the tickets you need. Sign up for the absolute maximum you can afford on your card and ask your friends and relatives to sign up for the maximum they can afford in so that you increase your odds of getting tickets and as an added bonus have extra tickets you can then sell at a higher price.

Lesson #2: having a 2-week registration period gives scalpers 2 weeks to plan and get their multiple registrations in
litlaur

Burning Since: 2009

Postby forge » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:17 am

feralfrank wrote:the only problem with getting tickets in previous years was procrastination. you eliminated procrastination but decreased ticket access to everyone. No part of the process actually eliminates scalping, you just gave them the same chance as everyone else.

:x
the obvious disgruntled burner without a ticket

To eliminate scalper simply make it so you can only get one ticket for one person and that tickets are completely non-transferable so that the person buying the ticket must be the person using the ticket. This way of doing tickets has been successfully done in Glastonbury . You really want to eliminate scalpers. You really want to make it so people think before they go and buy tickets and only those who want to go buy the ticket then the solution is simple. 1 ticket/person, non- transferable, non-refundable.
forge

Postby pandora422 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:19 am

Learned my lesson, don’t try to play this games by the rules. Looks like next years I’ll be registering for multiple sets of tickets. How does this affect the ten principals? Five down five to go talk about time to cash out.

Radical Inclusion - Let’s see here looks like everyone on this thread was not included based on “luck”.
Gifting
Decommodification - Substitution of consumption for participatory experience, I think so.
Radical Self-reliance – Participatory experience no relies primarily on “luck”
Radical Self-expression
Communal Effort
Civic Responsibility
Leaving No Trace
Participation- Everyone is invited to play? That’s a load of BS.
Immediacy - overcome barriers that stand between us by excluding people who’s only interest was participating?
Last edited by pandora422 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
pandora422

Postby havoc » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:20 am

tahiti_treat wrote:
RedHeaven wrote:I did not win the lotto. Kinda feels like getting kicked psychologically, like "Gee I must not be deserving or something" but I have to keep reminding myself that this is RANDOM, nobody is picking ME out!

I know! It's so hard to shake that feeling even though I know it's not personal.

this. someone on facebook said it felt like burning man broke up with them...even though logically i know that's not what's going on, it sure feels that way. :cry:
havoc

This was Stupid....

Postby Camp GFY » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:22 am

Nice to know that the lottery was made to keep the wrong people from getting and selling tickets this year...Some asshole on Ebay is selling his tickets for 15k, "because he can't make it this year" Douchebag
Camp GFY

Postby forge » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:23 am

havoc wrote:
tahiti_treat wrote:

this. someone on facebook said it felt like burning man broke up with them...even though logically i know that's not what's going on, it sure feels that way. :cry:

I feel the same way. What a horrible way to start the Burning Man experience this year. Well, IF is get to experience Burning man this year.
forge

Postby Minxy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:25 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
Hijack wrote:I'm looking forward to sneaking in to burning man for the first time. I'm going to keep playing by the rules with STEP and the open sale in March, but I'm getting a little jaded about it all. I'm absolutely sneaking in though, if I continue getting screwed over.

Gate/Perimeter is looking forwards to catching you.

Word.

No tickets here, either.
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Postby Minxy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:28 am

Finxiekins wrote:Keep your chin up guys! It will happen for us - We have to make it happen ourselves! What a good time to practice radical self reliance!

Way to stay positive, Finxie! :) Good job. <3

I'm still sad, though. =/
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Postby Bounce530 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:28 am

It's going to be a crappy year filled of virgins standing around staring at each other trying to figure out what the big deal is, and where the naked chicks and drugs are.
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion