has anyone who DID NOT receive REGISTRATION confirmation

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

has anyone who DID NOT receive REGISTRATION confirmation

Postby piehole » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:16 pm

been awarded tickets yet?

I would like to know for a friend of mine.
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
piehole

Burning Since: 2012

Re: has anyone who DID NOT receive REGISTRATION confirmation

Postby grenadine » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:27 pm

I didn't receive a registration confirmation by email either. I thought when the page said "congratulations, your registration has been received' that was it... and I haven't gotten a ticket yet. :(
grenadine

Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Postby lemur » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:33 pm

i dont know if there is a better email addy to refer to but id image contacting

participant services at

partiserv at burningman dot com

would be a good idea for your friend if they have problems/questions
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby piehole » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:47 pm

thanks lemur, i forwarded the info to the friend but i'd still like to see if anybody else who did not receive that initial confirmation email got awarded tickets
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
piehole

Postby Savannah » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:53 pm

Seeing as how a confirmation could have been sent to a junk filter, and there are other things involving specialized issues, it is technically possible for a person who saw a confirmation page--but no follow-up email--to get a ticket. I wish I could remember the exact problem it was that I saw that fella post about here on ePlaya. He had to fix something at his end (settings or servers or a firewall--something involving better than average knowledge) to get the email. 'Til he figured it out, he was plenty pissed. :lol:

Someone here might remember. Anyone remember the lingo for that guy's problem?
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby videoparker28 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:18 pm

grenadine wrote:I didn't receive a registration confirmation by email either. I thought when the page said "congratulations, your registration has been received' that was it... and I haven't gotten a ticket yet. :(

I did get an email stating my registration was received....and still no ticket Soooooo.....
videoparker28

Postby Savannah » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:35 am

Piehole: here's an example of weird stuff that can happen to confirmations:

viewtopic.php?f=290&t=53680

videoparker28 wrote:
grenadine wrote:I didn't receive a registration confirmation by email either. I thought when the page said "congratulations, your registration has been received' that was it... and I haven't gotten a ticket yet. :(

I did get an email stating my registration was received....and still no ticket Soooooo.....

To clarify . . . this thread (I believe) is about people who saw an online page that says "your registration is received" (two weeks ago) but did not receive the confirmation email moments later in their inboxes, due to weird technical issues. The question being: are there things that could prevent an email from arriving? and the answer is: apparently, at the receiver end.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby trilobyte » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:42 am

Emails were sent out, if you got as far as the registration successful page. If you did not receive a registration confirmation, it was very likely a problem involving the sender being blocked - either within your email app or your ISP. FIX THAT SHIT. Check your white list/safe senders in both your app and at the ISP level (especially if you've got a provider like earthlink or hotmail… they're notorious for overzealous blocking). If something's getting blocked or trapped in a spam filter at the point of registration, it will probably get trapped on a sale confirmation. Both emails com from the orders(at)burningman(dot)com address.

If you see a charge on your card but have not yet received an email confirmation, check that info carefully. Check this thread too…
viewtopic.php?f=290&t=53680

And if you've still had no luck, send an email to Participant Services using partiserv(at)burningman(dot)com - but only if your bank shows that you've been charged for the ticket purchase amount.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby lessrules » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:30 am

trilobyte wrote: If you did not receive a registration confirmation, it was very likely a problem involving the sender being blocked.

I concur. I have had this problem (just with the ticket confirmation email), although I believe that most people's spam filters wouldn't think the email from BM is spam if the sending server was configured better. (Not everyone has a email spam/junk box that captures every message.)

trilobyte wrote:Both emails com from the orders(at)burningman(dot)com address.

I somewhat disagree (on a technicality). The emails appear to be coming from orders(at)burningma(dot)com, when they actually come from root(at)intic-stage-app1(dot)inetuhosted(dot)net
This kind of thing is normal behaviour with email servers in general, but when it the email server also isn't communicating like it should, (this is quite common), then the receiving end starts thinking it might be SPAM, and to make matters worse, the first email address that the receiving end sees is root(at)intic-stage-app1(dot)inetuhosted(dot)net, which is not in your "whitelist". Then it will likely get rejected or junked as SPAM. Unless you email provider has loosened their rules to let poorly configured email servers put mail in your inbox, then you will be missing messages (from many people - not just BM). I have been in the 'poorly configured email server' club myself, and it doesn't feel good when the other servers think you are a spammer, but we fix things up and make them right for next time!

*this is just to show that there are actually 2 email addresses in the email, and this is not showing the alleged server configuration problems - and i repeat - that are common problems with many email servers today
the registration email header from BM wrote:Return-Path: <root(at)intic-stage-app1(dot)inetuhosted(dot)net>
X-Original-To: removedmyemail@addy.com
Delivered-To: removedmyemail@addy.com
X-policyd-weight: using cached result; rate: -3.82
X-Greylist: delayed 400 seconds by postgrey-1.32 at a; Fri, 13 Jan 2012 00:09:14 PST
Received: from intic-stage-app1.inetuhosted.net (unknown [209.235.221.181])
by myemailserver.com (Postfix) with SMTP id 82D80121D3
for <removedmyemail@addy.com>; Fri, 13 Jan 2012 00:09:13 -0800 (PST)
Received: (qmail 13718 invoked by uid 48); 13 Jan 2012 08:02:33 -0000
Message-ID: <20120113080233.13717.qmail@intic-stage-app1.inetuhosted.net>
To: removedmyemail@addy.com
Subject: Your entry has been received
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 00:02:33 -0800
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="=_eff971b1196c563df1660b14b06fe720"
MIME-Version: 1.0

For me, I got the "registration confirmation email", but not the "ticket confirmation email".

Savannah wrote:To clarify . . . this thread (I believe) is about people who saw an online page that says "your registration is received" (two weeks ago) but did not receive the confirmation email moments later in their inboxes, due to weird technical issues.

For issues with the other email (ticket confirmation email), see:
http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=290&t=53680
lessrules

Postby piehole » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:48 am

thank you for the responses you guys, i'll try to explain this to my technically illiterate friend.

does this/will this affect his chance of being drawn?
piehole

Postby trilobyte » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:53 am

No.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby piehole » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:57 am

wunderbar!
piehole

Postby Raymaker » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:47 am

I heard if you spin around 10 times holding your nose you have a better chance of getting a ticket

dizzy now!

I am still waiting to hear too :(
Raymaker

Postby mdmf007 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:09 am

I havent received an email either way :wink:
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion